• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

David Hogg accepted to Harvard

The truth???....Some non sense from infoWars?......Mr Hogg will continue to be an activist....against everything you believe...Watch and See

Of course he will. So what? People promote their politics and opinions from all sides of the aisle. No big deal.

When you are handed accolades for being a liberal and shouted down and scorned for being a conservative and this happens regularly in academia and in the media, it tends to engender bitterness. I wonder why liberals can't compete in the arena of ideas with rational debate. Their reflexive hatred of the NRA and belief that if they somehow disappeared we'd never see another mass shooting, is simply vapid and childish. The NRA had zero to do with the multiple failures of others to stop the Parkland shooting. Attacking them as an answer is the popular and lazy response. But hey, it'll get you into Harvard.

You guys keep trying to dig that ideological moat around Harvard but you're wasting your time and effort. Harvard is one of the ace premier institutions of higher learning in the world and harvard has been one of 'em always. Harvard continues to act to remain so. This is so despite 40 years of having the fringe kook Dershowitz on its law faculty.

As to the highlighted, that is your strawman. I don't know anyone who thinks this way or believes in that way except for those who collect straw and bunch it into ragged clothes. Then set it on a stick in a corn field. And watch the corn grow.

Your college experience should perhaps have taught you something about your minority position in mainstream society. That would be both as a rightwinger and an old line white guy among a lot of angry white guys. Going forward two things are clear: we'll always have Harvard as outstanding and we'll always have rightwingers throwing rocks at it. David Hogg will meanwhile be doing his thing for as long as it takes. Indeed as we see in the instance of Harvard, Hogg and the Right, the more the right goes after each of 'em the further along each of 'em get.

It's great seeing Hogg up the gun nuts' butts.

It's great seeing Hogg up the gun nuts' butts.

I can see young Mr. Hogg graduating near the top of his class and potentially going on to a career working as a prosecutor for the DOJ. Possibly even SCOTUS down the road sitting side by side next to Justice Kavanaugh.

You guys keep trying to dig that ideological moat around Harvard but you're wasting your time and effort. Harvard is one of the ace premier institutions of higher learning in the world and harvard has been one of 'em always. Harvard continues to act to remain so. This is so despite 40 years of having the fringe kook Dershowitz on its law faculty.

As to the highlighted, that is your strawman. I don't know anyone who thinks this way or believes in that way except for those who collect straw and bunch it into ragged clothes. Then set it on a stick in a corn field. And watch the corn grow.

Your college experience should perhaps have taught you something about your minority position in mainstream society. That would be both as a rightwinger and an old line white guy among a lot of angry white guys. Going forward two things are clear: we'll always have Harvard as outstanding and we'll always have rightwingers throwing rocks at it. David Hogg will meanwhile be doing his thing for as long as it takes. Indeed as we see in the instance of Harvard, Hogg and the Right, the more the right goes after each of 'em the further along each of 'em get.

Dershowitz=Senile loud mouth fool

Mean spiritedness is not something liberals need to be attacking others for. Matthew 7:3 comes to mind.

Nor conservatives. Don't think Matthew was into such distinctions. Have a good day!

Harvard does what they want. I'm simply commenting on the obvious. As for being in the minority, I have no problem with that at all. The masses always need some person or group to keep them from going totally off the rails.

Harvard does what they want. I'm simply commenting on the obvious. As for being in the minority, I have no problem with that at all. The masses always need some person or group to keep them from going totally off the rails.

You restate the obvious so thx anyway. Your post in scrolling bemoans being a conservative among liberals in your college experience which is why I replied that you should have learned something of it, i.e., you are in the minority both as an American Conservative and as a shrinking white male among other angry white males. All of you making Trump your hero only aggravates your plight both presently and in the foreseeable future. I'd think that adjusting and accommodating would serve the Right's interests better than fighting a rear guard fight. This is because while Trump's rear is big and provides plenty of cover it's destined invariably to end up in a sling. A big sling indeed but a sling nonetheless.

And it IS good enough. One of the two people I knew well in college who'd taken GEDs was working on his Master's in math at 20; the other completed her Ph.D. in linguistics at 23 or 24. Another, whom I met when he married my friend 12 years ago, dropped out because he had to. Dad died young, leaving six little kids, and they were so poor that the meat on the table was what the ittle boys could hunt with slingshots. Brings tears to my eyes every time I think of how David learned to make robin stew.

But he went to work for the local Ford dealership's service department (18 years), took his GED, and continued to educate himself, including teaching himself calculus, which blows my mind. He holds at least three patents for off-shore wenches, retired in his 50's, and now races his Mustang Cobras all over the country just for the fun. His idiot mother-in-law has nothing to do with him because he doesn't even have a college degree and is therefore "unworthy" of her daughter. What a fool.

I am always astounded at the foolishness of those who think college is the only way to learn anything, or even to be a success.
There are several degree holders in Medieval Literature, Underwater Basket Weaving, and other equally useless programs waiting on tables and in debt up to their ears because they were told COLLEGE....any college degree is the path to success. They were lied to.

Yet I see posts reflecting this attitude every time I log on.
Fortunately, those making them are pretty ignorant themselves, judging by their posts.

I am always astounded at the foolishness of those who think college is the only way to learn anything, or even to be a success.
There are several degree holders in Medieval Literature, Underwater Basket Weaving, and other equally useless programs waiting on tables and in debt up to their ears because they were told COLLEGE....any college degree is the path to success. They were lied to.

Fortunately, those making them are pretty ignorant themselves, judging by their posts.

The future demands higher education, training of some kind.....The days of Blue Collar manual labor that pays enough to support a family are over

Anti-intellectualism in American culture continues however. Rejection of environmental science is one manifestation of it.

Trump is the living proof of it. The extremist NRA is an enforcement arm of it. The Right are its troopers through the storm. David Hogg goes right at 'em so good on him presently and going forward.

Well, I don't think that medieval literature is useless.

And my friend holds a doctorate in gothic lit. and has done professionally okay for herself. I also don't see the purpose of advanced education as solely job-training (although I am a very strong advocate of Associate of Applied Science degrees).

Anti-intellectualism in American culture continues however. Rejection of environmental science is one manifestation of it.

Trump is the living proof of it. The extremist NRA is an enforcement arm of it. The Right are its troopers through the storm. David Hogg goes right at 'em so good on him presently and going forward.

What is it that you have against responsible law abiding citizens? Or is it that you just have no solution to criminal activity with firearms (without infringing the rights of said citizens) and the NRA, being composed of gun owners, are a simple target? Oh, and don't give me that BS that all NRA members are rightists, I shot service rifle competitions along side of a number of democrats, they just weren't gun owner hating liberals.

What is it that you have against responsible law abiding citizens? Or is it that you just have no solution to criminal activity with firearms (without infringing the rights of said citizens) and the NRA, being composed of gun owners, are a simple target? Oh, and don't give me that BS that all NRA members are rightists, I shot service rifle competitions along side of a number of democrats, they just weren't gun owner hating liberals.

Red:....

Attachments

• Holy Outta Left Field.jpg
    Holy Outta Left Field.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 23

Ask a professional HR manager about what they do with resumes without a college degree listed.

You're posting to a Democrat who owns a handgun. One handgun over many decades. And a Democrat who voluntarily spent four years in Army Infantry (in the Military District of Washington DC which is a component of 5th Army).

I support the Second Amendment. I do not support Your Second Amendment as you over there have mangled the original one to be for right wing purposes. NRA in their building in Washington DC are extremists as exposed in their speechmaking and in their lobbying of the government. NRA are absurd in many ways, perhaps the chief one being their thesis that they need a home arsenal to protect themselves against unarmed liberals. Of which I am not one.

You restate the obvious so thx anyway. Your post in scrolling bemoans being a conservative among liberals in your college experience which is why I replied that you should have learned something of it, i.e., you are in the minority both as an American Conservative and as a shrinking white male among other angry white males. All of you making Trump your hero only aggravates your plight both presently and in the foreseeable future. I'd think that adjusting and accommodating would serve the Right's interests better than fighting a rear guard fight. This is because while Trump's rear is big and provides plenty of cover it's destined invariably to end up in a sling. A big sling indeed but a sling nonetheless.

I said nothing whatever about my college experience. Maybe read the post again. Also, I'm happy to be a minority of one rather than compromise my principles or knuckle under to people who would gladly take away my freedom of expression, if not thought. BTW, there are millions and millions of the people you suggest are vanishing. There are plenty of up and coming young conservatives. Don't kid yourself otherwise.

I said nothing whatever about my college experience. Maybe read the post again. Also, I'm happy to be a minority of one rather than compromise my principles or knuckle under to people who would gladly take away my freedom of expression, if not thought. BTW, there are millions and millions of the people you suggest are vanishing. There are plenty of up and coming young conservatives. Don't kid yourself otherwise.

You referenced your college experience which means you said something about your college experience. You were an unhappy "conservative" who you say was oppressed by liberals who you are certain "would gladly take away my freedom of expression, if not thought." Given the nonsense statement one can see why you may have been dismissed by intelligent people who have no such purpose or thought.

As to your "millions and millions" of up and coming conservatives I'm glad I engendered some perspective and hope to your state of conservative unhappiness. I submit this means each you and I can be uplifted entering the new year, 2019, so cheers all around. Yes there are millions and millions of conservatives in America but oops there aren't nearly enough or even as many millions and millions as you might like, want, need. Making matters worse over there is that Potus Donald Trump is a dagger to the heart of conservatism in America. I must say I couldn't have done myself what you guys yourselves have done to wreck conservatism in America.

Well, I don't think that medieval literature is useless.

And my friend holds a doctorate in gothic lit. and has done professionally okay for herself. I also don't see the purpose of advanced education as solely job-training (although I am a very strong advocate of Associate of Applied Science degrees).

One type degree / training is for filling your stomach and paying the rent. The other type is for academic pursuits.
Both very honorable.

You're posting to a Democrat who owns a handgun. One handgun over many decades. And a Democrat who voluntarily spent four years in Army Infantry (in the Military District of Washington DC which is a component of 5th Army).

I support the Second Amendment. I do not support Your Second Amendment as you over there have mangled the original one to be for right wing purposes. NRA in their building in Washington DC are extremists as exposed in their speechmaking and in their lobbying of the government. NRA are absurd in many ways, perhaps the chief one being their thesis that they need a home arsenal to protect themselves against unarmed liberals. Of which I am not one.

"Your Second Amendment"? "Original one"?

Who, and how has it changed?
------
"Extremists"?

That's just silly.
-----
"Need an arsenal to protect themselves against unarmed liberals"?

That's even sillier. I own a few guns, some for hunting, some for
target shooting and some vintage collector arms as investments.
Unarmed liberals are of no worry to me, that's preposterous!
Show me where anyone from the NRA says we should own an "arsenal"
for any purpose, much less protection.

Ask a professional HR manager about what they do with resumes without a college degree listed.

"A professional HR manager" usually knows nothing about what they are interviewing for, especially in the manufacturing sector because the needs are so diversified.
I spent 40 yrs. in the machining industry (the last few running a machine shop and interviewing for machinists) and other than a few CNC programmers (and they didn't
know "jack sh*t" about toolmaking), the best and most knowledgeable machinists I ever worked with had no college degree.

"Your Second Amendment"? "Original one"?

Who, and how has it changed?
------
"Extremists"?

That's just silly.
-----
"Need an arsenal to protect themselves against unarmed liberals"?

That's even sillier. I own a few guns, some for hunting, some for
target shooting and some vintage collector arms as investments.
Unarmed liberals are of no worry to me, that's preposterous!
Show me where anyone from the NRA says we should own an "arsenal"
for any purpose, much less protection.

The post is an example of why I don't go to Second Amendment threads -- never have gone to one and I expect my perfect game to be eternal. Argue back and forth about nuthin that does more to change nuthin than anything else (alongside abortion and religion).

Your post dredged up an alleged question to me directly: "What is it that you have against responsible law abiding citizens?"

As if that particular absurdity weren't enough, then came this gem: "I shot service rifle competitions along side of a number of democrats, they just weren't gun owner hating liberals." (Did you mean Democrats?)

I stated in reply I am a Democrat who owns a handgun and that's been so for decades. One firecracker only and that's it. That I was a volunteer in regular active duty Army infantry, four years. And that I support the 2A. I'm not a pacifist either nor do I favor repeal of the 2A. Yet the Right goes on interminably no matter what, all of it coming from images of evil and wicked liberals storming about in their heads. You guys over there are ensnared in your own fantasy that you're dealing with reality. And certain of it besides. The result are the verbal accusations to include attacks that come on rather than a discussion. The Right lives in Hostile Town where everyone wears a chip on his shoulder.

You guys must be spent on David Hogg and Harvard which is good too thx.

The post is an example of why I don't go to Second Amendment threads -- never have gone to one and I expect my perfect game to be eternal. Argue back and forth about nuthin that does more to change nuthin than anything else (alongside abortion and religion).

Your post dredged up an alleged question to me directly: "What is it that you have against responsible law abiding citizens?"

As if that particular absurdity weren't enough, then came this gem: "I shot service rifle competitions along side of a number of democrats, they just weren't gun owner hating liberals." (Did you mean Democrats?)

I stated in reply I am a Democrat who owns a handgun and that's been so for decades. One firecracker only and that's it. That I was a volunteer in regular active duty Army infantry, four years. And that I support the 2A. I'm not a pacifist either nor do I favor repeal of the 2A. Yet the Right goes on interminably no matter what, all of it coming from images of evil and wicked liberals storming about in their heads. You guys over there are ensnared in your own fantasy that you're dealing with reality. And certain of it besides. The result are the verbal accusations to include attacks that come on rather than a discussion. The Right lives in Hostile Town where everyone wears a chip on his shoulder.

You guys must be spent on David Hogg and Harvard which is good too thx.

So, in other words, you can't answer my question. That, and your rant about "extremists" and "need(ing) an arsenal to protect themselves against unarmed liberals" is verifiable? Show us.
You see, I couldn't care less what you own, how many or for how long. You seem to be the one who is "ensnared in your own fantasy" about what the NRA membership believes.
And yes, I did shoot competitively. As I stated, not all Dems are far left liberals. My GF is a Dem, and after almost 14 years, she has yet to call me an "extremist."
As for Hogg, again, I couldn't care less if or where he goes to college. It's none of my business anyway.

You know what I see constantly? People regurgitating propaganda.

There’s a reason you picked “underwater basket weaving” as an example. Ponder it.

Back
Top Bottom