• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Could some democrat please take Pelosi aside

If you negotiate with an extortionist, he's got an incentive to do it again.

That point seems lost on you.

It might help if you made a point, your "extortionist" was just a strawman.

You dont' negotiate with extortionists, for to do so they will do it again by a guy like Trump, who has no compassion for 800,000 people who will lose their pay everytime he does it.

More strawmen diversion from the lack negotiating from Pelosi.

It might help if you made a point, your "extortionist" was just a strawman.

No, it's a viable metaphor because it still works.

If it were a strawman, it would not work, because it would mean that negotiating with an extortionist would not give him an incentive to do it again. Since negotiating with an extortionist would give him an incentive to do it again, it's a viable metaphor.

A strawman is a pseudo debate device which is an exaggeration, but the important fact remains: it does not work.

A metaphor is not an exaggeration that doesn't work, it's an exaggeration that still works but done so in order to illustrate a point, because it still works.

Capiche?

Reagan’s inauguration in 1981 may have coincided with the release of the hostages, but historians say it did not cause it. Instead, the Iranians had tired of holding the hostages, and that the administration of Jimmy Carter did the legwork to get the hostages released. https://www.politifact.com/truth-o-...wrongly-credits-reagan-1981-release-hostages/

There were no negotiations, nothing was handed to the Iranians other than a promise to wipe them off the map. Politfact is full of crap, like they usually are. They are an editorial board, with biases and spin like the rest of the MSM. Now, if you care to enlighten me as to what the USA gave up for their return, then maybe you might have some credibility, until then, the thought of having their country turn into one giant ashtray probably swayed their opinions.. ;)

Tim-

The President-elect promised something that was in the works since the day they were taken hostage, Tim. He had no hand in the negotiations. Look it up. You don't remember it well.

Trump promised Mexico would pay for a wall. Ring a bell, Tim? Obama promised Gitmo would be closed. Ring a bell, Tim? Reagan promised he would get the hostages out - before he was in office. They were released on the day he was inaugurated. They didn't wake up that morning and say "Hey, let's release those guys today. Sound good?". Ring a bell, Tim?

Don't compare your false prophet hero with a real man like Reagan.

The only thing I compare Reagan to Trump is that the elites hated them, and they both stood fast to their convictions, and were not prone to being bullied. other than that, they were two different men, and got results in varying different ways.

Tim-

The only thing I compare Reagan to Trump is that the elites hated them, and they both stood fast to their convictions, and were not prone to being bullied. other than that, they were two different men, and got results in varying different ways.

Tim-

Yea, only its Trump that's the bully. Trump that is the extortionist. Trump that if allowed to continue on this path just with regard to this stupid Wall will toss Article 1 of the Constitution right off the cliff edge. Nobody ever accused Reagan of that!

The closest Reagan got to that that was Iran/Contra which was a covert effort by the Reagan administration to get its way. Reagan was not holding a knife at the necks of those holding an opposing view. He tried to step around them, got caught and paid for it in lost political capital.

Tim-

Nobody ever hated Reagan the way Trump enjoys being hated. Do not rewrite history. Reagan faced political opposition as every President does. Reagan was classy, caring, and worked well with people. Don't insult that great man's memory by comparing a low class, crude, ill-mannered narcissist who got where he was because of his father with a wonderful and self-made man who cared about others more than himself.

Could some half way intelligent democrat please take Pelois aside and explain one fact to her. They need to explain to her how a compromise works. They also need to tell her no matter how pig headed she is she is not going to get everything her way.

Posted it in another thread but seems rather fitting here too...

sheep.jpg

Extortion. Extortion is how we got here.

Last edited:
Nobody ever hated Reagan the way Trump enjoys being hated. Do not rewrite history. Reagan faced political opposition as every President does. Reagan was classy, caring, and worked well with people. Don't insult that great man's memory by comparing a low class, crude, ill-mannered narcissist who got where he was because of his father with a wonderful and self-made man who cared about others more than himself.

Reagan was my favorite president, so don't put words into my mouth, however, I am also a realist, with a very good memory. Reagan was despised by both the left and the right elites, and for the exact same reason; he was an outsider and anti-establishment! Same way Friedman was also hated by the intelligencia at the time.

Look, tres, you can choose to remember history any which way you like, but what I am posting about Reagan is truth!

Tim-

We are currently about to be in a position where we will be in need of home health care aide services due to the fact that my disabled Navy veteran wife is sick again, AND my son is also at UCLA Hospital with a pretty severe case of congestive heart failure.
Being that it's a two hour drive to UCLA sometimes, and being that my wife's mobility may not be possible sometimes while our son is so ill, we will need that kind of services, which are contracted out by the government to private companies.

But I guess we shouldn't mind if my son becomes critical and we can't make it to the hospital. He can just die alone, no problem.

Think I am joking? I'm not, I assure you. I thought about keeping this to myself but screw it, people need to see the stupidity of shutting down the government firsthand.

View attachment 67248481

We might not be able to get the kind of help we need, which the VA is happy to cover, if there isn't any way to pay the needed contract personnel.

Fingers crossed for you and yours CS.

You claim illegitimacy based on your assumptions. All I see here is what you...want to believe and to once again, cheaply try to denigrate the left.

The string of things I mentioned are not assumptions.

What's really awesome is the VA, because their Spinal Cord Injury unit is a hospital inside a hospital, and it not only takes spinal cord injury patients but also multiple sclerosis patients, which it considers "spinal cord disease".
MS-ers aren't spinal cord injury but in a technical sense, some of them are paraplegic or quadriplegic anyway, even if they still have sensation in their extremities.

An MS-er might not feel their feet but they might have sensation in their thighs or their calves, it is sometimes spotty, like a cow's markings. They might have full feeling in one foot and zero in the other, or they can move one foot slightly and the other foot might be as limp as wet spaghetti.

The VA takes care of their MS patients every bit as much as their regular spinal injury patients.

Similar here, we have the JF Strong institute,seeded by Hansen.

I love the Wabasha Street Caves. Yeah, Kid Cann and the Jewish Mafia had the run of the cities (along with Ma and Pa Baker) during the 30s and then the area we call the Warehouse district was adjacent to what was then the "Gateway district." My father and uncle used to share stories about their coming of age experiences there, which usually involved Colt 45 and a made up run in with Bob Dylan or at least the Triangle Bar. Somebody always told the story of the line from "you can't always get what you want" (when he's in line at the pharmacy) being derived from a show just north of Lake Minnetonka. I can't stand DC by the way. It's terrible. The food was supposed to be incredible but I had bad guides or guides with bad taste.

The summers here are great minus the mosquitoes and the lyme disease (I get it every three years). It's a great state. The winters are terrible, but I'll take 4 seasons over 2 (Texas/DC) any day. Plus, you don't get to see a band like that in every city. A band like that still exists and plays at a joint called Lee's Liquor Lounge on the regular. I wouldn't be surprised if it rings a bell. The singer center stage looks just like the girl in that band. It has nothing to do with this thread, but talking about America makes you realize it really is a great country, and no one politician can take that away.

I almost bet you KNOW who the girl in the black getup is, actually.

She was Mary Hadjuckiewicz, aka Mary Michaels, and she sang like Janis Joplin when she wanted to, with a dead ringer that could make everyone's jaw resemble an oven door.

166685_1535039061394_1397340559_31181194_6144294_n.jpg

When she was younger and with us, she was Mary Hadjuckiewicz and we were "Citizen", and John Bream made us known in a review that savaged some of the most sacred cows in the Twin Cities rock scene, but for us, he wrote a love letter.

"There isn't a single member of this band that looks like the ink on their high school diploma is dry, yet the band sounds amazingly professional. Offering an energetic mixture of rock and blues and featuring a young femal vocalist who sounds hauntingly like Janis Joplin, this bunch should go far."

Local_rock_BREAM0.jpg

But out of all of us, Mary Michaels and Curtis Blake were the real musicians, the professionals. Curtis Blake graced the blues scene in that city until just a year ago when he finally retired with his wife to South Texas. He is a two time W.C. Handy award winner for best blues harp player and he toured with both Sonny Boy Williamson and Mojo Buford, and a score of others.

166457_1530027976120_1397340559_31173039_1340550_n.jpg

Curtis is still around but Mary Michaels passed away five years ago and it was heartbreaking.

I was lucky to know them all.

Last edited:
Fingers crossed for you and yours CS.

He might surprise the Hell out of us, and I hope and pray he does, so he can get his transplant, if there's even an insurance program to allow it by that time. If his coverage disappears, it will be the end for him even if he works his ass off to qualify as a candidate.
And again, he knows I'm talking about him here, and gave his blessing. He's pissed off about the way things are going, and maybe he might use that as a motivator to recover. If that happens, look out.
My wife's leg is healing fast but it's her kidney (she only has the one) and bladder. Radiation took a big toll on them but she too is working hard to be good about doing what's right for her body to counter the insult given to it.

I'm proud that my career is no longer "camera dept" or "film editor" but instead "full time caregiver" because my own body cannot do my old job well enough anymore anyway, but I will do my new job until I drop and cheerfully.
I have two of the best people in the world to do it for.

All we need is just the tools...Karen and Daryl know how to fight, they've done it all their lives.

There were no negotiations, nothing was handed to the Iranians other than a promise to wipe them off the map. Politfact is full of crap, like they usually are. They are an editorial board, with biases and spin like the rest of the MSM. Now, if you care to enlighten me as to what the USA gave up for their return, then maybe you might have some credibility, until then, the thought of having their country turn into one giant ashtray probably swayed their opinions.. ;)

Tim-

So Iran let them go for no reason?

If they think about the families who are financially affected by the shutdown they would comply...end of story.

So you admit that The Donald doesnt give a **** about anything but the monument to his presidency? He *individually* at this point, could end the shut down if he really cared.

But hey, then there wouldnt be "The Trump Wall"

"Trump sees the wall as a monument to himself"

"What I do best in life, I build. ... I want it to be so beautiful because maybe someday they'll call it 'The Trump Wall.' Maybe. If they call this 'The Trump Wall,' it has to be beautiful."

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/22/poli...border-wall-symbol-monument-legacy/index.html

Well let's all be honest...a wall named after him is certainly more appropriate for The Donald than a library.

So far they are missing one paycheck, and Pelosi and Schumer can fulfill their prior promises to fund the wall. I will play the videos where they promised if you like.

:lamo

Speaking of promises:

"Mexico will pay for the wall!"

“I am proud to shut down the government for border security. … I will take the mantle,” Trump said. “I will be the one to shut it down.”

No...Our President is willingly to negotiate weeks ago but the liberal/Demos led by pelosi said no.

100% wrong

He went to meet with them, they were there to negotiate. He demanded the wall, (that's not negotiating), they said no, and he walked out.

That's the opposite of being 'willing to negotiate.'

Thank God he owns it. Your side promises it, over and over, and you always end up lying. Trump owns it because he is our rock, he is standing up for us against you liars.

So his promises mean nothing?

You practice an interesting sort of hypocrisy, eh?

Well when you deal with people(liberal/Demos and fence straddlers who heckled) who are stubborn and refuse to negotiate why waste time trying to convince them the importance of homeland security by building the wall ? As we chat there are illegals rushing across the Arizona border but why do the liberal/Demos care ?

:doh

100% wrong

He went to meet with them, they were there to negotiate. He demanded the wall, (that's not negotiating), they said no, and he walked out.

That's the opposite of being 'willing to negotiate.'

Blinded by the orange glow of The Donald, eh PTF?

Nevermind, I misread something. But I'll stick with this part, :) since I cant delete the whole post:

"Mexico will pay for the wall!"

“I am proud to shut down the government for border security. … I will take the mantle,” Trump said. “I will be the one to shut it down.”

Last edited:
He is standing up for something your side knows nothing about

Very true. He's standing up for a monument to himself...what we DO know is that he's earned no monuments at all.

"Trump sees the wall as a monument to himself"

"What I do best in life, I build. ... I want it to be so beautiful because maybe someday they'll call it 'The Trump Wall.' Maybe. If they call this 'The Trump Wall,' it has to be beautiful."

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/22/poli...border-wall-symbol-monument-legacy/index.html

Can we get back to the topic of this thread--------------------why Pelosi OWNS the gov shutdown because she refuses to compromise or give an inch.

Back
Top Bottom