• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Confederate flag: how do you feel?

3step

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Private

It's now been 150 years since the bloodiest war in the US has been ended and the meaning of this flag has been lost. But sometimes I see the image of the confederate flag used by the US citizens in the social networks and other Internet resources, on their t-shirts, caps... I have some mixed feelings. I hate any symbols of war and discrimination, but I feel sorry for the ignorant Americans. How do you feel when you see confederate flag anywhere?

My thoughts generally go like this: "oh look, some one is celebrating being the losers!"

I am not a nice person tho...

i don't really think anything about it at all the flag.

i do think about this below, by thinking ....celebrating a killer!

Attachments

• cheguevara.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 178
my thoughts usually run to

"there goes another hillbilly from the south.....probably a good ole boy"

most people i know dont take the flag as a negative connotation

and yes, i live south of the mason dixon line

I'm not a big fan of flying it on government buildings as it is basically a symbol of treason against the United States :afraid:

When I see the Confederate Flag what I see is another meaningless symbol that will drive the intolerant left bat **** crazy

I think of racists, southern drawls, then an orange clunker and Daisy Duke's shorts!

I'm not a big fan of flying it on government buildings as it is basically a symbol of treason against the United States :afraid:

it was not treason, the southern states were not trying to overthrow the u.s. federal government...they left the union by a vote conventions held by the states, except tenn....which was by direct vote of the people

Indifference.

How do you feel when you see confederate flag anywhere?

I do not feel much of anything when seeing it, other people though...

i don't really think anything about it at all the flag.

i do think about this below, by thinking ....celebrating a killer!

And yet when you see the Confederate flag you don't think of the fact that it celebrates slavery and treason. How hypocritical.

Well said.

I think of people who fought for their Freedom

to continue to keep humans enslaved.

I think it's silly to display - and it means nothing. It just makes whoever's displaying it look foolish or childish, like idiots I used to know back in highschool who did dumb things because they thought it made them look cool like wearing combs in their hair or drawing the anarchy symbol on their hands and other dumb stuff like that.

Mostly I feel sad for the morons that feel the need to fly the confederate flag.

And yet when you see the Confederate flag you don't think of the fact that it celebrates slavery and treason. How hypocritical.

like you i don't wear my heart on my sleeve, i not much of an emotional type person, which lets everything brother me, and then complain about it.

this shows you have no knowledge...there was no treason involved, because the southern staters were not trying to overthrow the federal government....they left the union based on state conventions.....i feel sad for you.

it was not treason, the southern states were not trying to overthrow the u.s. federal government...they left the union by a vote conventions held by the states, except tenn....which was by direct vote of the people

Yep... over the issue of keeping other humans as property! AWESOME! :roll::shock:
Before anyone goes all... "it was about northern aggression.. and about states rights"... and all the other rot...
I refer you to the South Carolina's article of succession.

Avalon Project - Confederate States of America - Declaration of the Immediate Causes Which Induce and Justify the Secession of South Carolina from the Federal Union

if you had read correctly...its not treason...treason is a condition where a person or entity/group is giving aid to an enemy of the tate in time of war...this from the founders.

southerns state were not trying to overthrow the federal government but left the union based on the people of those states, by holding state conventions.

Ernst is actually right for a change. The southern states going to war in order to protect slavery wasn't treason. However, it's pretty treasonous for Americans now to support what was, at least in intent, a foreign government. They might not have been traitors, but if you're flying a confederate flag now, you kinda are.

here is the way i look at it.....on the flag

if someone is excising his right to wear a flag on his shirt...i may not like it, however i do say "it is his right" ,i respect the right.... and move on.

if someone is excising his right to wear a flag on his shirt...some may not like it, and they voice their opinions about it vocally, and Act as if its unLawful, and its not right, so they do not respect the excersing of the right .......and just move on.

Last edited:
Don't really care, I think it's a bit absurd that it's so popular among southern state governments to fly the flag and celebrate it, but in general I only feel emotion when it's inevitably on a bumper sticker that includes some dumb ass ****.

My thoughts generally go like this: "oh look, some one is celebrating being the losers!"

I am not a nice person tho...

Is that also what you think when you see a cubs hat?

Oh yes they were trying to overthrow the federal government. They weren't 'leaving the union', they weren't going anywhere. They were overthrowing the legal government and setting up another one.

If people flying it now are flying it for the same general reason(states rights/weak central govt) it was done in the 1860s how is it any different?

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…