• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

commiting suicide ?

thougts about suicide

• l never attempted to commit suicide

Votes: 33 36.7%
  • l tried to commit suicide once

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • l tried to commit suicide more than once

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • l thought about commiting suicide but never attempted

Votes: 28 31.1%
  • l never thought about commiting suicide

Votes: 26 28.9%
  • l usually tend to commit suicide but always prevent myself

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • other

Votes: 9 10.0%

• Total voters
I've had one relative and one friend off themselves. When I was in the service I responded to more suicides and attempts than I can count. I absolutely HATE the concept.

While I understand that everyone has probably thought of it at one time or another actually bridging that gap is horrible. It tears up the survivors when it's "successful" and damages everyone when it isn't.

What Luther said and some of what liz said. Suicide is a most selfish act. I don't believe people in their right mind can do it.

I've never thought about it. Having known or responded to people who did or who tried, I can't imagine people knowingly causing others so much grief.

I'd think demanding that your cancer suffering mom, or your alzheimers developing dad linger on to keep you company would be the real selfish act.

Those of us advocating the right to suicide are not talking about people suffering from teen angst. We are talking about people who are truly suffering and have made a calm and rational decision to move on after a period of crisis counseling. Why would you think that was "selfish?"

I'd think demanding that your cancer suffering mom, or your alzheimers developing dad linger on to keep you company would be the real selfish act.

Those of us advocating the right to suicide are not talking about people suffering from teen angst. We are talking about people who are truly suffering and have made a calm and rational decision to move on after a period of crisis counseling. Why would you think that was "selfish?"

My cancer suffering mom chose to ride it out. Near the end had she chosen not to we would have supported her issues.

A friends husband, after a very bad motorcycle accident became a high level quad, think Christopher Reeves, decided with the family to literally pull the plug. I support his/their right.

There are always exceptions.

My cancer suffering mom chose to ride it out. Near the end had she chosen not to we would have supported her issues.

A friends husband, after a very bad motorcycle accident became a high level quad, think Christopher Reeves, decided with the family to literally pull the plug. I support his/their right.

There are always exceptions.

Well, as long as you recognize it is not always "selfish" to wish to commit suicide. Yeah, sitting in your room listening to Goth music and cutting yourself while chanting "no one loves me" is no reason to die. Your parents love you and so on... a little crisis counseling and more upbeat music might do the trick. Then, like your mom, there might be powerful reasons to live that make the pain bearable.

Still, the right to commit suicide under to proper conditions should be legal, for those "exceptions" you recognize. :)

some are born with a self destruct mechanism which can be almost insurmountable at times. the creative, tempestuous personality is especially vulnerable. all i will say is that i have a lot of empathy, and i think that it's absolutely a mistake. understanding this doesn't completely solve the problem, but it's insight that needs to be applied during all dark nights of the soul.

Option 6. I usually tend to commit suicide.

How can you TEND to commit suicide more than once? Maybe TRY to commit suicide, but not TEND.

Never tried, never will. People who commit suicide are cowards (outside of those suffering from painful and/or debilitating diseases).

Stick a gun to your head and try to pull the trigger... I never have and never will, but the idea certainly scares the **** out of me. To pull the trigger doesn't seem cowardly at all with me cowering over in the corner.

What Luther said and some of what liz said. Suicide is a most selfish act. I don't believe people in their right mind can do it.

I've never thought about it. Having known or responded to people who did or who tried, I can't imagine people knowingly causing others so much grief.

I've never considered killing myself, but it wasn't for lack of a willingness to die- I just have a personal issue with the destruction and carnage that is left behind to those who love you. I've been on the other end, being the person who was left to deal with it, more than once. I wouldn't want to do that to someone else. When depression gets to that point (and it is certainly something that happens, even to those of us who never expect it to), you just have to grit your teeth and put up with it, and hold on to that tiny sliver of hope that seems all but gone.

Never bought the cowardice characterisation of suicide. It implies the act of living requires some sort of bravery. It's a clumsy attempt to psychoanalyse the suicidal.

I've suffered from major depression, but suicide has never come across my mind. I can easily understand how it could lead someone down that path, and it would seem a very difficult decision to me rather than a cowardly one.

some are born with a self destruct mechanism which can be almost insurmountable at times. the creative, tempestuous personality is especially vulnerable. all i will say is that i have a lot of empathy, and i think that it's absolutely a mistake. understanding this doesn't completely solve the problem, but it's insight that needs to be applied during all dark nights of the soul.

Totally agree with this. Creative people tend to have stronger emotions, very creative people sometimes have uncontrollable emotions.

I wouldn't say they are cowards, as most of the people I have known who were suicidal, were clinically depressed to the point of losing a firm grasp on reality, and were not thinking rationally at all. They see it as a way to end their emotional suffering.

Yeah. That's what I got out of most of the folks I had to respond to. After a while I just stopped asking why and went about getting them processed. The reasons just didn't matter.

Yeah. That's what I got out of most of the folks I had to respond to. After a while I just stopped asking why and went about getting them processed. The reasons just didn't matter.

That seems to be the case. There aren't usually specific reasons, just a general feeling of hopelessness that life will ever again be okay. It's something that is very difficult to understand until you've been there. I used to think that suicides were cowards, which seems to be a common sentiment, until I went through a major depressive episode myself. THere's nothing like experience to make you understand.

So sorry you had to deal with people who've committed suicide Lizzie, it must be such an empty and hopeless feeling. I've never known anyone who has and I personally would be too afraid of the unknown to try it.

I've never considered killing myself, but it wasn't for lack of a willingness to die- I just have a personal issue with the destruction and carnage that is left behind to those who love you. I've been on the other end, being the person who was left to deal with it, more than once. I wouldn't want to do that to someone else. When depression gets to that point (and it is certainly something that happens, even to those of us who never expect it to), you just have to grit your teeth and put up with it, and hold on to that tiny sliver of hope that seems all but gone.

So sorry you had to deal with people who've committed suicide Lizzie, it must be such an empty and hopeless feeling. I've never known anyone who has I personally would be too afraid of the unknown to try it.

For whatever reason, it was in my cards this time around, so I just try to make some sense of it, take it in stride, and carry on.

No to suicide. I'd prefer to find some noble cause faced with overwhelming odds and little hope of success and get killed that way, if life became unbearable.

GimliWait.jpg

I voted "attempted once", although it was never serious in my case.

But I have sympathy for people who feel they cannot stand life any longer. It's really their business.

But I have learnt to stand constant pain and fear. That's nothing that would cause me to end my life. Rather it has contributed to me embracing faith.

Yet I wouldn't condemn anybody who doesn't find that strength.

But I have learnt to stand constant pain and fear. That's nothing that would cause me to end my life. Rather it has contributed to me embracing faith.

That's really what it boils down to in some cases. Learning to tolerate the discomfort of your mind not working right, or in the manner that society deems "normal".

That's really what it boils down to in some cases. Learning to tolerate the discomfort of your mind not working right, or in the manner that society deems "normal".

Yep. I will say that compared to many other paranoid schizophrenics, I am pretty well of, since my symptoms are under control most of the time. And I am incredible thankful towards modern psychiatry and its medications, since they allow me to have an almost normal life. I embrace the medication, although it has many ugly side effects (such as weight gain and decreased libido).

But I have perfect sympathy for my brethren who think that price is too high. Or who are too deep into the illness to find benefits in medication at all.

Like anyone here is going to do any sharing with comments like "cowards" and "selfish" being thrown around. There's frankly better forums than this to disclose.

Is this something you are contemplating? Or do you seriously want to know others' reasons behind why they want to die?

I'm just asking.

you answer your own question

Like anyone here is going to do any sharing with comments like "cowards" and "selfish" being thrown around. There's frankly better forums than this to disclose.

Well, that IS the way that a good many people view it, and I don't have a problem with people expressing those views. Suicide is a pretty touchy subject to me, but I am perfectly willing to discuss it openly, whether anyone agrees with me or not.

Anybody who say it's "cowardish" for someone to end his life, I'd like to ask if he has *really* spent time with a seriously depressed or psychotic person, and tried to do his best to be there for him or her, and to save him.

If not, I'd say, you should be more cautious saying that.

Back
Top Bottom