• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

commiting suicide ?

thougts about suicide

• l never attempted to commit suicide

Votes: 33 36.7%
  • l tried to commit suicide once

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • l tried to commit suicide more than once

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • l thought about commiting suicide but never attempted

Votes: 28 31.1%
  • l never thought about commiting suicide

Votes: 26 28.9%
  • l usually tend to commit suicide but always prevent myself

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • other

Votes: 9 10.0%

• Total voters
That's why you can't let it get to you. You have to realize that you did everything you could, and he was going to do this no matter what you said or did.

It was like trying to save a drowning person..Let me jump on your back and you can save me..or we can both drown together..

It was like trying to save a drowning person..Let me jump on your back and you can save me..or we can both drown together..

I think this sums the situation up quite succinctly. I've never seen it put quite so well.

Well put. This is why I have the utmost respect for mental health professionals and the volunteers such as the Samaritans: people who are prepared to try to save the drowning, despite the risks to their own mental welfare. I think I'm seeing you in a different light here, Wolfie.

Well put. This is why I have the utmost respect for mental health professionals and the volunteers such as the Samaritans: people who are prepared to try to save the drowning, despite the risks to their own mental welfare. I think I'm seeing you in a different light here, Wolfie.

Thank you...
Wish the mods could see me in the same light...:lamo

To my earlier comments I'd simply add that I'm not sure why people automatically feel that a person contemplating the end of their life must naturally be depressed or somehow mental incompetent. To me, it seems perfectly normal to contemplate what you may or may not want to do when you've lived all the life you care to live and don't see pleasure or fulfillment in the life that remains. Why is it noble or sane to be forced or to be required to take all measures to breathe the most breaths possible by whatever means possible? I believe in self-determination and I'd like to make the decision when I've had enough.

To my earlier comments I'd simply add that I'm not sure why people automatically feel that a person contemplating the end of their life must naturally be depressed or somehow mental incompetent. To me, it seems perfectly normal to contemplate what you may or may not want to do when you've lived all the life you care to live and don't see pleasure or fulfillment in the life that remains. Why is it noble or sane to be forced or to be required to take all measures to breathe the most breaths possible by whatever means possible? I believe in self-determination and I'd like to make the decision when I've had enough.

I wonder whether your opinion is a result of the availability of doctor assisted suicide in your national health care. I do assume for the government that a case of doctor assisted suicide would be cheaper than a treatment program for a patient esp. given that it would have to be more thorough than an regular outpatient for just a regular case of Major Depression. The fact of the matter is that someone who is suicidal needs help dealing with their mental illness and strategies to avoid committing suicide they do not need help to commit suicide in a clinical setting.

Would you hold the same opinion if the person concerned is 25 rather than 85?

Thank you...
Wish the mods could see me in the same light...:lamo

l already did it wolfie :mrgreen:

also l will suggest you treat mods like potential suicidals :mrgreen:

How is this not depression?

Is it ever rational to try to kill yourself? Perhaps in a few desperate situations (Like burning to death or jumping from a high rise building. And a slew of other things like that) but outside of definite rational reasons then everything else is shades of irrational behavior. And some people who do commit suicide had a good grasp on reality. i have known a few that had a good grasp of reality and what they were doing and why. One definitely only did it because he was being a asshole.

I don't consider assholes to be rational. They have issues, and they have anger that is clouding their judgement. They don't have a grip on the realities of life as it is.

I wonder whether your opinion is a result of the availability of doctor assisted suicide in your national health care. I do assume for the government that a case of doctor assisted suicide would be cheaper than a treatment program for a patient esp. given that it would have to be more thorough than an regular outpatient for just a regular case of Major Depression. The fact of the matter is that someone who is suicidal needs help dealing with their mental illness and strategies to avoid committing suicide they do not need help to commit suicide in a clinical setting.

We don't have doctor assisted suicide here, yet - we have cases before our supreme court regarding the right to die but nothing that is legislated or codified. My position has nothing to do with government oversight or authorization but everything to do with self-determination and the right to choose how you live and die in your own time.

I would think those who live in a country where your Supreme Court has discovered and codified a privacy right to one's own person in order to legalize abortion would be able to make the short jump to the right to die on your own terms. After all, if one has the legal right to remove a fetus, why not have the right to remove artificial means of life support or even the removal of an organ. A person can donate a kidney, parts of their liver, etc. to assist and save the life of another. Why not allow someone who's lived as long as they care to to donate their heart, as an example, to someone who hasn't finished living the life they want to?

Would you hold the same opinion if the person concerned is 25 rather than 85?

I'm no longer 25, so I can't answer that question. I believe the answer is entirely up to the individual concerned, not up to others who wish to impose their views on the 25 yr old or others.

How is this not depression?

To me, it would be depression or depressing to feel a need to live out a life that is neither pleasant nor fulfilling to the one living it simply because others in society believe you must.

Our society is entirely too judgemental when we should be respecting the views of individuals as much as or more than the views of the collective.

Back
Top Bottom