• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

CNN corrects Native American elder and teens in MAGA hats story.

Oh man, right wingers think the longer video vindicates the children, don't they?

Well...it's not so much as "think" as it is "know". You have any valid points to make on what the kids did wrong to stick with your position or are you just going to throw out an empty one-liner devoid of any value?

I grew up in Bethesda, Maryland, about five or six miles from where this whole dustup happened.

If you go down there every day, you will see a different **** show every single day. EVERY. SINGLE. DAY.
My buddies and I used to go down there in the early 70's out of sheer boredom mostly, and because believe it or not, no one bothered you if you were smoking weed if you were discreet.
Once the big DC Smoke-In happened in 1971, I guess the cops stopped bothering to arrest anyone unless it was too obvious, so we would go down there to watch the "happenings" and to toke up.

One weekend the CPUSA* showed up and got into it with a huge crowd of hard hat types.
I remember seeing snippets of it on the nightly news later but we were THERE and to this day I swear I saw me and my buddies in the background. That was around 1972.

There's nothing Republicans love more than shepherding groups of young kids into the cookpot down there.
They KNOW that it will become a scene of sheer lunacy and they were doing the exact same thing to group of young kids from out in the hinterlands as far back as the 1960's. I am a native of MD-DC and I remember seeing chaperones from Republican groups bringing in issues kids groups back then.
They want these kids to see the big protests and they want the kids to be SHOCKED.

If you don't think that the group chaperones who were responsible for these young kids didn't play some part in all of this, you just don't understand the dynamic that happens in that part of DC every single day, year in, year out, rain or shine.

(*Communist Party USA)

You're so full of horsesh**. I use to be one of those Catholic kids and I also lived in your little cesspool of the world.

I know it will be shocking to that little narrow mind of yours but everyone has a right to visit our nation's capital, not just weenie liberals. And everyone has the right to go down there to protest, see the Smithsonian or just trudge around the nation's capitol. You liberals don't own the place!

For you to presume that anyone who visits that's on the other side of you is there to 'shock' kids or stir up the pot shows just how ignorant and partisan you are.

That's an extreme stance. MAGA is a mainstream political slogan. Your statement does not reflect political reality in America

Ya'll get painted with the same brush when yer wearing your leader's hat.

You'd think CNN would have learned it's lesson less than 48 hours after the Buzzfeed implosion but this is CNN after all.

It would be nice if the media and Left quit all this race baiting nonsense before some radical Leftist gets so worked up they hurt someone.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/21/us/maga-hat-teens-native-american-second-video/index.html

CNN is a network with integrity, if they didn't have it then they would never have corrected this story. And, it's been the lead story on every segment. So, good for them. When CNN is right they will prove it with facts and if the circumstance change with additional reporting as it has in this case, then CNN will quickly admit the error, correct the reporting and man-up to the mistake.

I believe the photo is spreading online because to some people it encapsulates everything about the current political environment.

Some people see that boys smirk and see malice behind it.

Which is just a reflection of their own presumptions. But looking at this incident as a whole, we have several politically motivated groups with conflicting ideologies clashing in a public space -- and the result is entirely peaceful. No one was harmed -- all were free to go home and go about their lives. In that sense, it does encapsulate the current political environment: A bunch of people online imposing a delusional political narrative on a mundane happening.

Oh man, right wingers think the longer video vindicates the children, don't they?

Deploables, you can't live with them, you can't get rid of them.

CNN is a network with integrity, if they didn't have it then they would never have corrected this story. And, it's been the lead story on every segment. So, good for them. When CNN is right they will prove it with facts and if the circumstance change with additional reporting as it has in this case, then CNN will quickly admit the error, correct the reporting and man-up to the mistake.

If it disagrees with their position, then it's 'fake news!'

Because for them to believe otherwise would be to acknowledge that they were wrong. And that's not going to happen.

Ya'll get painted with the same brush when yer wearing your leader's hat.

An admission that you're more interested in blind bigotry than nuanced reality.

In what sense? These kids are still fully responsible for their behavior.

I have had to put up with a lot of bigotry most of my life. I even have to contend with the fact that my future children will have to endure it, and I will have to help and teach them. I literally been so hurt by the hate and ignorance of others, that I have cried and cried. But what I have never done is acted like those kids and gone viral because of my own behavior.

What did they do wrong? Be more specific than "their behavior was bad".

You're so full of horsesh**. I use to be one of those Catholic kids and I also lived in your little cesspool of the world.

I know it will be shocking to that little narrow mind of yours but everyone has a right to visit our nation's capital, not just weenie liberals. And everyone has the right to go down there to protest, see the Smithsonian or just trudge around the nation's capitol. You liberals don't own the place!

Show me exactly where I said that I thought "liberals owned" the place.

If it disagrees with their position, then it's 'fake news!'

Because for them to believe otherwise would be to acknowledge that they were wrong. And that's not going to happen.

I don't really understand your question. Give an example. If you're going to use the topic of this thread as your example then I would say that they have no position, they reported a story, they took no position.

An admission that you're more interested in blind bigotry than nuanced reality.

No...that's what such endorsement indicates. Intentionally one would think...but maybe those wearing it are unable to comprehend that nuance?

I don't really understand your question. Give an example. If you're going to use the topic of this thread as your example then I would say that they have no position, they reported a story, they took no position.

I didnt write a question.

I was concurring.

How many hours after CNN's breathless reporting on the Buzzfeed did they start running with this story?

Without, once again, verifying it?

Restraint from what? Assaulting a random native american stranger?

I watched the CNN video just now and saw no assault.

The tomahawk chop bit was lame but certainly not racist - though I insist on using that term properly and not simply to denote something that hurts someone’s feelings.

The tribal elder got in the kid’s face. Perhaps the kid should have deferred to the old gent and walked away but not doing so is certainly not criminal.

As to CNN - they showed far more integrity than certain other media outlets by correcting their story. Good for them.

Last edited:
It's an old theme: as long as they can find some other entity they can claim did something wrong, that somehow protects the original subject or makes it wrong to talk about the original subject. The only approved talk is now that talk that is negative and directed against either the media or the Native Vet.

Transparent and stupid, as usual. Nothing any "black Israelites" did makes what the kids did better, and nothing about the media initially saying the kids walked over to the Native Vet rather than surrounded the Native vet as he walked back and forth a bit in front of the crowd makes what the kids better, and most certainly no made up claims that maybe the kids thought the Native Vet was supporting him made what they did better.

Of course, I've also seen it suggested by a non-usual-suspect in one of these threads that a bunch of white kids laughing, elbowing each other, and surrounding the Natives while mocking their chant and making tomahawk chops at them isn't even "racist". So....I kind of despair.

Without trying to JUSTIFY anything and taking it purely for what is

A bunch of Kids that were in fact wearing MAGA hats so we know their affiliation. WHAT Racist, BIGOT and negative connotations did they actually SAY. As I watched the whole caption video. NO one attacked them? I dont recall hearing a racist remark to them. I do recall the smart ass kid standing there with his smile but that seemed to be a sign of protest which is NOT illegal? And the Elder was pretty much doing the same thing in context, banging that drum in his face?

OUTSIDE of that, 4 black men calling these white kids incest babies as well as future school shooters

a bunch of teens acting like a bunch of TEENS. Mocking or NOT.... DID they in fact say anything or just act like a bunch of idiots.

Lastly... What does MAGA hat have to do with Teens acting like immature teens. So its fair for the News Outlet to specific MAGA Hat Wearing teens.

BUT disregard the ACTUAL bigotry and racial statements by the 4 black men.. Did the KIDS in "MAGA" hats say anything Racist or Bigotry or anything illegal that was NOT by protest standards?

Oh! yes. I read it wrong. I know very well that the OP provided the thread in order to demonize CNN for correcting a story that was erroneously reported. And, good for them. They have repeated their correction at every chance and that's testament to the fact that CNN really cares about remaining a credible source of news. Unlike Fox who comes up with all these hair-brained conspiracy theories and never retracts a word of them even though they're conclusively proven to be false.

As I type, CNN is reporting this story all over again. I swear I've seen this corrected story at least six times today already. THAT is what journalist and honest reporting is all about.

Yes they do. They are the ones on the warpath of rewriting the narrative. Every couple hours they come out with a brand new narrative.

So does much of the media. So where does that leave you?

How many hours after CNN's breathless reporting on the Buzzfeed did they start running with this story?

Without, once again, verifying it?

Actually Rudy Giuliani himself - in two appearances on TV over the weekend, concurred with exactly what Buzzfeed reported.

In what sense? These kids are still fully responsible for their behavior.

What behavior?

Has any video shown up of them actually doing anything wrong?

No it proves that the media lied. The native Americans attacked the kids. They walked over there and harass these kids can't you just stood there and did nothing.

To pretend you don't see that so you can play up this phony white supremacist narrative is to be dishonest.

Restraint from any sort of response, really. He didn't taunt the man, get agitated, swear at him, or even give him a dirty look -- let alone anything rising to the level of assault. I'm at a loss to see what that particular boy did wrong at all?

Probably because you only saw a photograph.

Well...it's not so much as "think" as it is "know". You have any valid points to make on what the kids did wrong to stick with your position or are you just going to throw out an empty one-liner devoid of any value?

You can't claim to "know" this if you never watched it.

Isn't that what you were alluding to when you demonized conservatives who visited?

No, I said that chaperones have been bringing conservative groups over there for as long as I can remember, and I mentioned the likelihood that, for most group, especially innocent kids who are from rural areas in faraway states, it's like nothing that they have ever seen. I also hinted that a lot of these groups are likely to be shocked, or should I say, a bit overwhelmed.
I also stated that the outfits that chaperone these groups to that area have been doing it with that knowledge all along, and that's a fact.

The March for Life group was headed up by Nellie Gray since 1974, and she had been a Washington DC resident since she began practicing law before the SCOTUS.
In 1974 she started the March for Life Education and Defense Fund, which is partially funded by over a hundred affliated conservative lobby groups. The March for Life Education and Defense Fund conducts these group tour events all year long but particularly during the week of the annual March for Life. Other times, different conservative groups sponsor similar outings to the Memorial section.

The same happens with liberal groups as well, they too sponsor group outings to the Memorial area and, just like the conservative groups, they "shepherd" a significant number of outings for people of all ages, including school kids.

These are "professional" or quasi-professional political lobby and activist groups who are headquartered in Washington and they know that when they bring people in from all over the country, it's probably their first experience of that kind.

My point was, these chaperones know full well (and yes, on both sides) what to expect.
You may want to read my other post where I talk about the Black Hebrew Israelites and their perennial presence down there, as well as the perennial presence of the Native American groups as well. And so on and so on and so on...

Generally speaking, the only ones who do NOT know what to expect, are the groups of people who come down there.
So, if the voices in your head are telling you that I am implying or alluding to something, I suggest you take it up with the voices in your head.

Back
Top Bottom