• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

CNN corrects Native American elder and teens in MAGA hats story.

I hope you never chaperone 16 year old boys on a DC trip.

Because ‘anti-fragility’ is about the stupidest concept for a high school field trip group I’ve ever encountered.

:) Then you should check out the link.

I find this interesting, in that you go on to try to suggest "logical" wrong, but not "moral" wrong for Philips, while actually describing Logical wrong for the Chaperones.

Wait, are you suggesting that Phillips did not just make an error in judgment but a moral error when he tried to calm the frenzied boys?

Not at all. I have taught teenage boys, trained teenage boys, led teenage boys, shaped teenage boys. I have worked with teenage boys on everything from mathematics and literature to killing other human beings. I've led them under stress, and under relaxed circumstances, when they are hyped up, when they are not. I'm fully aware of what I'm talking about,

Your comments do not support the highlighted phrase.

as well as the need to promote anti-fragility (which you seem to forget in the following).

Pot, meet kettle. The fragility shown by the boys and their defenders has been off the charts. To them, the boys and their chaperones must be immune from criticism, because reasons. It's fascinating that that is the side that's blocking reasonable criticism!

Teenage boys (or girls) are not helped by being covered in soft wool and protected from the outside world, they are crippled by it. Recommended Reading. As a chaperone, physical danger to the children was a red-line, and so when Philips physically led a group into the crowd of students, that would have been the danger signal to prepare to react if necessary to a threat. Since he never became violent, however (merely rude and aggressive), there was no physical threat to eliminate.

And you are the latest person in this discussion to show outcome bias. Congratulations! The thing is, Will, it means absolutely nothing that no punches were thrown. The mere existence of the dangerous situation, which you have telegraphed an inability to understand, was enough to say that the chaperones completely dropped the ball.

Your argument about coddling is to react to one extreme with the opposite extreme. You almost seem to be arguing that the boys should have fought fire with fire. If so, you would be making my point for me. That kind of behavior isn't bravery: it's stupidity. The chaperones let the boys act stupid, because the chaperones themselves were stupid.

As for "frenzy", if you think singing school chants represents teenage males in a "frenzy", well, all I can say is, good for America's security services, that you live such a sheltered and protected life that you think that is a "frenzy".

I am so sorry that you feel that physical safety is something to be valued, Will. Maybe a few bodies here and there is the price you prefer to pay?

Back
Top Bottom