• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

CNN corrects Native American elder and teens in MAGA hats story.

Context is EVERYTHING when it comes to the truth in these things. Most of the mainstream media long ago threw honorable journalism out the window when they made the choice to be left wing advocates and Democrat operatives. So they pull the most innocuous statements or image out of the full context of an argument or event, and twist it to look like something it almost certainly was not. And it doesn't even embarrass them to do that anymore. Nor apparently does it embarrass the brainwashed political extremists on social media and message boards to repeat the lie over and over and over again and/or to defend it or shrug it off as an outlier and unimportant.

Everybody on the right isn't innocent of that, and I hate it when they err in that regard. But it has become the common standard M.O. of the left. And it is tearing the country apart.

"threw honorable journalism out the window when they made the choice to be left wing advocates and Democrat operatives"
I whole heartily agree. Hard to consider journalists who do / have done this as being 'friends' of the general public, more realistically they are doing damage to the general public with these actions, feeding the flames of division, being one of them.

Some are likening the constant left wing advocacy and being Democrat operatives to a 'mistake', that's pretty laughable and has no credibility, not as often as the media exhibits that behavior, it's not.

Oh man, right wingers think the longer video vindicates the children, don't they?

I'm not a right-winger, and it's clear to me that the full video mostly exonerates the kids. A lot of people to the left of me can't seem to see how angry and extreme they've gotten since Trump's election.

Oh man, right wingers think the longer video vindicates the children, don't they?

Unedited videos do tend to have the effect of clarifying the broader context of things.

OM

In what sense? These kids are still fully responsible for their behavior.

I have had to put up with a lot of bigotry most of my life. I even have to contend with the fact that my future children will have to endure it, and I will have to help and teach them. I literally been so hurt by the hate and ignorance of others, that I have cried and cried. But what I have never done is acted like those kids and gone viral because of my own behavior.

Yes. They are young and immature. They were in a big city and probably never heard a black person espouse such bigtory, but that doesn't excuse their behavior. I saw the boy's comments about how offended he was, and felt a need to defend everything, so he got worked up and wrapped up in the moment. This kid has to learn he isn't entitled to respect. Everything can be mocked and taunted, down to his core beliefs... his religion, his skin color, etc.

Experiencing a bigot is no excuse. That's a lesson those black men need to learn themselves. Everything about the Black Israelite movement is a horrible reaction to hate, racism, and bigtory they have had to deal. These kids are not simply victims, and they should be held responsible for their behavior instead of excused and victimized.
How were the kids bigoted?

What was their bad behavior?

Standing in place while ewaiting on a bus? Remaining calm and collected when some weirdo came up and started banging a drum literal inches from the face of one of their classmates? My how terrible.

Read that article earlier -- and watched the video. I thought the "smirking" kid showed restraint. I suspect many on the left just see the MAGA hat and assume ill intent, which I think is wrong.

A third group, the Black Hebrews [sic?] appear to have been the problem.

Well, one problem. Another is the rush to judgment, which I myself was guilty of yesterday. When are we going to learn to be skeptical?

I have had to put up with a lot of bigotry most of my life. I even have to contend with the fact that my future children will have to endure it, and I will have to help and teach them. I literally been so hurt by the hate and ignorance of others, that I have cried and cried. But what I have never done is acted like those kids and gone viral because of my own behavior.

Yes. They are young and immature. They were in a big city and probably never heard a black person espouse such bigtory, but that doesn't excuse their behavior. I saw the boy's comments about how offended he was, and felt a need to defend everything, so he got worked up and wrapped up in the moment. This kid has to learn he isn't entitled to respect. Everything can be mocked and taunted, down to his core beliefs... his religion, his skin color, etc.

Experiencing a bigot is no excuse. That's a lesson those black men need to learn themselves. Everything about the Black Israelite movement is a horrible reaction to hate, racism, and bigtory they have had to deal. These kids are not simply victims, and they should be held responsible for their behavior instead of excused and victimized.

They didn't do anything wrong.

Well, one problem. Another is the rush to judgment, which I myself was guilty of yesterday. When are we going to learn to be skeptical?

Hopefully soon. I actually think skepticism is starting to win the day. This viral story being corrected is a good sign.

Read that article earlier -- and watched the video. I thought the "smirking" kid showed restraint. I suspect many on the left just see the MAGA hat and assume ill intent, which I think is wrong.

Restraint from what? Assaulting a random native american stranger?

I grew up in Bethesda, Maryland, about five or six miles from where this whole dustup happened.

If you go down there every day, you will see a different **** show every single day. EVERY. SINGLE. DAY.
My buddies and I used to go down there in the early 70's out of sheer boredom mostly, and because believe it or not, no one bothered you if you were smoking weed if you were discreet.
Once the big DC Smoke-In happened in 1971, I guess the cops stopped bothering to arrest anyone unless it was too obvious, so we would go down there to watch the "happenings" and to toke up.

One weekend the CPUSA* showed up and got into it with a huge crowd of hard hat types.
I remember seeing snippets of it on the nightly news later but we were THERE and to this day I swear I saw me and my buddies in the background. That was around 1972.

There's nothing Republicans love more than shepherding groups of young kids into the cookpot down there.
They KNOW that it will become a scene of sheer lunacy and they were doing the exact same thing to group of young kids from out in the hinterlands as far back as the 1960's. I am a native of MD-DC and I remember seeing chaperones from Republican groups bringing in issues kids groups back then.
They want these kids to see the big protests and they want the kids to be SHOCKED.

If you don't think that the group chaperones who were responsible for these young kids didn't play some part in all of this, you just don't understand the dynamic that happens in that part of DC every single day, year in, year out, rain or shine.

(*Communist Party USA)

Yes they do. They are the ones on the warpath of rewriting the narrative. Every couple hours they come out with a brand new narrative.

Wow, warpath. You really went there?

Well that image of that smirking kid is spreading like wildfire online.

To wear a MAGA hat is to associate yourself with racism and white supremacy.

Restraint from what? Assaulting a random native american stranger?

Restraint from any sort of response, really. He didn't taunt the man, get agitated, swear at him, or even give him a dirty look -- let alone anything rising to the level of assault. I'm at a loss to see what that particular boy did wrong at all?

What "behavior" exactly would you like the kids held responsible for exactly? And what would you like to see done to them?

Trust me when I tell you that that group, the so called "Black Hebrew Israelites", exist for one reason and one reason only, and you saw it happening in real time. It is what they do.
And it doesn't matter if you're a MAGA kid, or a Native American, or a suburban finance manager, or a Democrat, or a group of engineers, or even another group of black people. It doesn't matter because you are not another group of Black Hebrew Israelites.

They will stir your pot, and keep stirring even as you put distance between them and yourselves.
Go do a search for video clips of "Black Hebrew Israelites" on YouTube.
Their closest equivalent is probably The Westboro Baptist Church, and I hope that makes it clear what they are about, because that pretty much is what they are about, and it's how they continue to exist.

If you think that they don't have a great relationship with some experienced civil rights law firms, think again.

Restraint from any sort of response, really. He didn't taunt the man, get agitated, swear at him, or even give him a dirty look -- let alone anything rising to the level of assault. I'm at a loss to see what that particular boy did wrong at all?

He wore the wrong hat and the anti-Trump media didn't like it, and from there, off they went spinning their crazy narrative.
Fake News obviously sells...

Last edited:

That's an extreme stance. MAGA is a mainstream political slogan. Your statement does not reflect political reality in America

I said in an earlier thread, what it boils down to is a bunch of sheltered kids getting out of town and seeing a big city. Their school is mostly all white, and they were seeing and hearing stuff for the first time. They heard black men talking like that, and were extremely repulsed and offended, and felt an urge to act out. They simply have never been exposed to such views nor have they experienced anything like that. They probably have never seen native drummers and protestors before either.

Everything about their reaction reflects on them, where they are from, and how they were raised. The boy's own statements reveals it all.

Such people are the GOP base. GOP voters tend to be rural, not city dwellers. They are not people accustomed to diversity, even the diversity of racism and racial tribalism within diverse populations. People of all races say offensive stuff and show racism towards other groups. I ignore such groups in my community. The bottom line is, there are good people of all races and backgrounds, and anybody can be a bigot and asshole. But people like these kids don't deal with complexities of diverse populations. Maga hat people mostly fit into the same category, and therefore feel the same confusion and reaction as the kids.

See my post here:
https://www.debatepolitics.com/brea...hats-story-post1069576822.html#post1069576822

He was white, duh...and if that's not enough, he wasn't self loathing!

You should probably work for fake nooooooz. They felt the same when they spun this story into pure lies.

Well that image of that smirking kid is spreading like wildfire online.

Then hopefully it will inspire rational, inquisitive people to dig further and discover the truth. The sooner that happens, the sooner these reactionary online flash mobs lose their teeth.

Then hopefully it will inspire rational, inquisitive people to dig further and discover the truth. The sooner that happens, the sooner these reactionary online flash mobs lose their teeth.

I believe the photo is spreading online because to some people it encapsulates everything about the current political environment.

Some people see that boys smirk and see malice behind it.

Back
Top Bottom