• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Clarifying firearms terms that any-gun people throw around

pinqy

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
An assault rifle is a select-fire rifle that uses an intermediate level cartridge: usually 7.62 x 39mm or smaller. The main examples are the M-16 and AK-47

Automatic weapon: any weapon that fires more than one round for each pull of the trigger.

Semi-automatic: an auto-loading weapon that fires one round for each pull of the trigger.

Select-fire: a weapon that can fire either automatic or semi-automatic.

Assault weapon: a semi-automatic-only rifle that is based off of or otherwise resembles an assault rifle.

Military grade weapon: I don’t think that actually means anything

Those are the main ones...I don’t think the difference between machine gun and sub-machine gun, or more esoteric details, but please add any words or phrases commonly thrown around.

An assault rifle is a select-fire rifle that uses an intermediate level cartridge: usually 7.62 x 39mm or smaller. The main examples are the M-16 and AK-47

Automatic weapon: any weapon that fires more than one round for each pull of the trigger.

Semi-automatic: an auto-loading weapon that fires one round for each pull of the trigger.

Assault weapon: a semi-automatic-only rifle that is based off of or otherwise resembles an assault rifle.

Those are the main ones...I don’t think the difference between machine gun and sub-machine gun, or more esoteric details, but please add any words or phrases commonly thrown around.

Street Sweeper

The most knowledgeable mod this board ever had in terms of firearms posted a sticky at the top of this section that defines things

A submachine gun is a select fire or full auto only, carbine that fires PISTOL Cartridges. Example, Tommy Gun (45 ACP) Swedish K (9mm) UZI (9mm) and the original CZ Skorpion-32ACP

Machine pistol-generally a stockless handgun that can fire full auto those some have abbreviated stocks-example BERETTA 93, GLOCK 18

Street Sweeper

An American made copy of a South African revolver style 12 G shotgun. Incredibly inefficient compared to semi auto shotguns-both in terms of ease of use and reloading speed

I think the "Military Grade Weapon" could simply be a reference to a civilian-available weapon that is the same or with some small modifications as a weapon used by one or more military forces.

Although by that measure a bunch of 9mm handguns are military grade weapons.

The most knowledgeable mod this board ever had in terms of firearms posted a sticky at the top of this section that defines things

A submachine gun is a select fire or full auto only, carbine that fires PISTOL Cartridges. Example, Tommy Gun (45 ACP) Swedish K (9mm) UZI (9mm) and the original CZ Skorpion-32ACP

Machine pistol-generally a stockless handgun that can fire full auto those some have abbreviated stocks-example BERETTA 93, GLOCK 18
Oh, I know the meanings, I just botched the sentence. I was trying to say that there wasn’t any point in discussing those kind of details.

An American made copy of a South African revolver style 12 G shotgun. Incredibly inefficient compared to semi auto shotguns-both in terms of ease of use and reloading speed
I think I watched a youtube video on that thing. Forgotten Weapons channel

I think the "Military Grade Weapon" could simply be a reference to a civilian-available weapon that is the same or with some small modifications as a weapon used by one or more military forces.

So are the hundreds of thousands of MI Carbines-all military surplus or actual one time military issue that were sold to US Citizens by the US Dept. of Civilian Marksmanship

So are most bolt action hunting rifles that are based on the German K-98 (standard issue German infantry WWI and WWII) and the US A3-03 30-06 Springfield rifle (US issue WWI and early days of WWII)

the colt 1911 and the many copies thereof that was the standard issue US Military sidearm from 1913 through about 1985

Same with the various makes of the USMC F&U knife-commonly called a K-Bar though also made by Ontario, Case, Camillus Cutlery.

I think I watched a youtube video on that thing. Forgotten Weapons channel

They were heavily regulated -I think some lawmakers saw a couple action films where those idiotic shotguns were used. I shot one, and said-no thanks. they are cumbersome, the triggers SUCK, it takes several minutes to unload and then load one. I have a red jacket (yeah red jacket) SAIGA shotgun that takes a 20 round drum magazine. I can accurately shoot all twenty rounds in under 5 seconds, and reload the gun in less than 3. My son uses a Remington Versamax tube fed semi in 3G. Even without a speed loading tube (ie in stock division) he can load the ten round tube in under 8 seconds by hand- those street sweepers are pretty much a joke among serious shotgun users

Including .45 cal and .38 cal among other handguns of various calibers, and Shotguns, Bolt action rifles, Lever action rifles, bows and crossbows, Spears, Swords, Knives and even Shovels and many Farming tools. Think the anti-firearm bunch would not go that far, just look at places where knives are highly regulated or banned.

So are the hundreds of thousands of MI Carbines-all military surplus or actual one time military issue that were sold to US Citizens by the US Dept. of Civilian Marksmanship

So are most bolt action hunting rifles that are based on the German K-98 (standard issue German infantry WWI and WWII) and the US A3-03 30-06 Springfield rifle (US issue WWI and early days of WWII)

the colt 1911 and the many copies thereof that was the standard issue US Military sidearm from 1913 through about 1985

Same with the various makes of the USMC F&U knife-commonly called a K-Bar though also made by Ontario, Case, Camillus Cutlery.

The S&W Model 15 revolver I carried (as a K-38) is a "military grade weapon".

Including .45 cal and .38 cal among other handguns of various calibers, and Shotguns, Bolt action rifles, Lever action rifles, bows and crossbows, Spears, Swords, Knives and even Shovels and many Farming tools. Think the anti-firearm bunch would not go that far, just look at places where knives are highly regulated or banned.

Interesting you mention shovels. I was taught how to use an E-tool as a weapon and, to this day, have a "military grade weapon" of that issue on hand..perhaps more than one.

The S&W Model 15 revolver I carried (as a K-38) is a "military grade weapon".

Yep. the term military grade apparently is a pathetic attempt by anti gun extremists to try to demonize firearms they are trying to ban

Interesting you mention shovels. I was taught how to use an E-tool as a weapon and, to this day, have a "military grade weapon" of that issue on hand..perhaps more than one.

HS teacher of mine, was in the OSS,in its latter days, then was a military officer who did work with the CIA in the early part of Nam. Said when he was a cadet, he met a MOH winner from Korea-a 2nd Lt commanding a rifle platoon -led a charge against Chinese "Volunteers" in Korea. His rifle was destroyed by hostile fire and he lost almost all his men. He was shot twice himself but he jumped into the Chinese Machine Gun nest and swung his entrenching tool with such force that he beheaded most of the gunners with a couple swings and killed the remaining one with the same tool. Took the MG and wiped out some more of the enemy and by then other US infantry took the hill since the machine guns had been silenced by this guy. Only then did he realize he had taken two hits in the upper chest (but not fatal). Bad ass dude with an effective CQC weapon

Yep. the term military grade apparently is a pathetic attempt by anti gun extremists to try to demonize firearms they are trying to ban

Yep, after they fail to win the argument that "the people" referenced in the 2A meant only those connected with militia service. It seems that reference to the militia clause is never used to imply that the "arms" that the people have a right to keep and bear are those which would be useful in (by?) a militia.

Last edited:

You can't merely change the noun because it doesn't matter. The adjective is what's in question, not the noun. Assault means select fire.

An assault pumpkin must be select fire.

You can't merely change the noun because it doesn't matter. The adjective is what's in question, not the noun. Assault means select fire.

An assault pumpkin must be select fire.

"Assault" does nof mean, and never has, "select-fire. That is one characteristic of assault rifle.
" assault weapon " is a political term defined in the former federal assault weapons ban, and in the laws of so.S states.

Just because you disagree with what it should mean, doesn't change what it does. It's not a useful definition and the concept that they are more dangerous is ludicrous, but that's how it is

"Assault" does nof mean, and never has, "select-fire. That is one characteristic of assault rifle.
" assault weapon " is a political term defined in the former federal assault weapons ban, and in the laws of so.S states.

Just because you disagree with what it should mean, doesn't change what it does. It's not a useful definition and the concept that they are more dangerous is ludicrous, but that's how it is

I don't think legislation defines assault weapon. We can say that according to specific legislation an assault weapon is...

And other legislation disagrees.

Further, if we are to accept legislation as definitive, then your definition in the OP is not encompassing. More than rifles qualify under some legislation.

Last edited:
I don't think legislation defines assault weapon. We can say that according to specific legislation an assault weapon is...

And other legislation disagrees.

Further, if we are to accept legislation as definitive, then your definition in the OP is not encompassing. More than rifles qualify under some legislation.

I agree in general that legislation doesn’t always use the correct terms (machine gun and slinger are obvious examples), but “assault weapon” doesn’t have a definition outside of legislation. Anti-gunners often use it as a synonym for assault rifle, but, in general, it refers to semi-automatic rifles based on or having features associated with, assault rifles. Usually, it has to have X/Y designated cosmetic features such as pistol grip, muzzle attachment (or just threaded barrel), bayonet lug, folding/collapsible stock, and availability of high capacity magazines.

Not true. Because assault weapon can apply to any semiautomatic shotgun and magazine fed semiautomatic rifle or pistol with certain features.The Brady Assault weapons did ban certain firearms by name only, but if you changed the name and removed certain cosmetic features then those firearms were perfectly legal under the Brady assault weapons ban.For example you change the name of a modern sporting rifle like the AR15 to a Match Target. with the bayonet lug and flash suppressor removed it was still perfectly legal despite it still looking like a M16 assault rifle. Same thing with the civilian AK-47.Change the name to Norinco Mak-90 with a thumbhole stock instead of a pistol grip and no bayonet lug and its perfectly legal despite looking like the Assault rifle version of the AK-47.

Federal Assault Weapons Ban - Wikipedia
Semi-automatic rifles able to accept detachable magazines and two or more of the following:

• Folding or telescoping stock
  • Pistol grip
  • Bayonet mount
  • Flash hider or threaded barrel designed to accommodate one
  • Grenade launcher

Semi-automatic pistols with detachable magazines and two or more of the following:
  • Magazine that attaches outside the pistol grip
  • Threaded barrel to attach barrel extender, flash suppressor, handgrip, or suppressor
  • Barrel shroud safety feature that prevents burns to the operator
  • Unloaded weight of 50 oz (1.4 kg) or more
  • A semi-automatic version of a fully automatic firearm.

Semi-automatic shotguns with two or more of the following:

• Pistol grip
  • Detachable magazine.

Last edited:
Not necessarily true. Because assault weapon can apply to any semiautomatic shotgun and magazine fed semiautomatic rifle or pistol with certain features.

Federal Assault Weapons Ban - Wikipedia
Semi-automatic rifles able to accept detachable magazines and two or more of the following:

• Pistol grip
  • Bayonet mount
  • Grenade launcher

Semi-automatic pistols with detachable magazines and two or more of the following:
  • Magazine that attaches outside the pistol grip
  • Threaded barrel to attach barrel extender, flash suppressor, handgrip, or suppressor
  • Barrel shroud safety feature that prevents burns to the operator
  • Unloaded weight of 50 oz (1.4 kg) or more
  • A semi-automatic version of a fully automatic firearm.

Semi-automatic shotguns with two or more of the following:

• Pistol grip
  • Detachable magazine.
The features were what I meant by “otherwise resembles.” I did forget about some shotguns being included.

The features were what I meant by “otherwise resembles.” I did forget about some shotguns being included.

Looking like or resembling an assault rifle did not make a firearm an assault weapon. Because the AR15 was renamed the Match Target and made without a bayonet lug and flash suppressor even though it still looked like or resembled a M16 assault rifle. The Tech -22 pistol was renamed the Sport - 22 and made without a threaded barrel during the Brady Assault weapons ban.

• Pistol grip
  • Bayonet mount
  • Grenade launcher

One of those things is not like the others.

Back
Top Bottom