• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Chief justice rebuts Trump on criticism of judges

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2018/nov/21/chief-justice-john-g-roberts-rebut-trump-criticism/

How often does a Chief Justice rebuke a President?
Good on him, and I am sure all Justices approved of this statement
Cue the Trump defenders.

If there was no such thing as “Obama judges or Trump judges then there would not be a huge deal who the president picks as a supreme court judge. But we all know that liberal judges make rulings base on their liberal beliefs and that conservative judges make rulings based on their conservative beliefs. Its why a lot of supreme court decisions are split along ideological lines.

He already has when justice roberts ruled on obamacare.

It appears roberts has made a shift towards being an activist judge. This happens my time with conservative judges - souter, stevens, etc.

SCOTUS judges have always been activists...going to back Marbury vs Madison. How do you think they got the power for 'judicial review' in the first place?

Roberts is right about what the Judicary is supposed to be . Now if they would just acts that way and not behave like the legislator.

What an incredibly stupid thing to say. Its scary that it is from someone who hilds one of the highest offices we have.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Roberts is entirely correct, but plenty of people around here think "Trump judges" are rubber-stamp Trump or GOP bots. That was, of course, levied overtly at the nominations of Gorsuch and Kavanaugh.

Trump’s judges are not activists. That’s the purview of the Left. What they cannot legislate, they seek judges to do what those in the (Leftist) legistlative branch cannot.

Roberts is entirely correct, but plenty of people around here think "Trump judges" are rubber-stamp Trump or GOP bots. That was, of course, levied overtly at the nominations of Gorsuch and Kavanaugh.

Same goes with that thinking about Dem Judges.

Trump’s judges are not activists. That’s the purview of the Left. What they cannot legislate, they seek judges to do what those in the (Leftist) legistlative branch cannot.

LOL! The greatest RW jerkoff judge, Scalia, was an activist judge.

Yet again you simply have zero idea what you're talking about.

What an incredibly stupid thing to say. Its scary that it is from someone who hilds one of the highest offices we have.

What? A cheif justic defending an independent judiciary is stupid in your book?

If it walks and quacks like a tax, it's a tax. That is all the decision said - that the label assigned to something by Congress doesn't actually dictate what that something is.

You can disagree with it, but you disagreeing doesn't make that decision "political" versus....you just not agreeing with it.
Except forcing private citizens to do business with private enterprises neither walks like a duck nor quacks like one. But it was widely acknowledged without the mandate ACA was dead in the water. Ironically Obama and most of the Dems had argued repeatedly that the mandate WAS NOT a tax, yet Roberts side with the four liberal justices to make it so and save ACA.

What? A cheif justic defending an independent judiciary is stupid in your book?
The claim that judges are above having a partisan bias is silly.

If he did what you claimed i would not of been bothered as much by that

Except forcing private citizens to do business with private enterprises neither walks like a duck nor quacks like one. But it was widely acknowledged without the mandate ACA was dead in the water. Ironically Obama and most of the Dems had argued repeatedly that the mandate WAS NOT a tax, yet Roberts side with the four liberal justices to make it so and save ACA.

It was ruled a "tax" because it operated LIKE A TAX.

But the point is it's always funny that decisions we don't like are "judicial activism" or "political" and those we DO like (or don't care about one way or another) are just the Supreme Court justices doing their job as intended.

Ever since Roberts "re-wrote" some of the Obamacare law, he has become a politician and I no longer consider him a justice.

Inserting himself in politics now confirms my belief.

I agree - striking down the Medicaid expansion, making it voluntary on the part of states, was one of the worst decisions in the modern era.

It was ruled a "tax" because it operated LIKE A TAX.
Oh, how many other "taxes" force you do buy something from a private company or pay a penalty on our income tax?
JasperL said:
But the point is it's always funny that decisions we don't like are "judicial activism" or "political" and those we DO like (or don't care about one way or another) are just the Supreme Court justices doing their job as intended.
Only to you guys on the left. I never mentioned "judicial activism", that's you.

Guess you'll never complain about another SCOTUS decision, eh?

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2018/nov/21/chief-justice-john-g-roberts-rebut-trump-criticism/

How often does a Chief Justice rebuke a President?
Good on him, and I am sure all Justices approved of this statement
Cue the Trump defenders.

In theory, Chief Justice Roberts may be right. But you sure do have activist judges and those who believe the Constitution is a living document and those who go by original intent. Those judges who amend the Constitution via their rulings instead of going the amendment route the constitution itself proscribes.

Oh, how many other "taxes" force you do buy something from a private company or pay a penalty on our income tax?

Only to you guys on the left. I never mentioned "judicial activism", that's you.

You:

Interesting that Roberts make a political decision

Me:

But the point is it's always funny that decisions we don't like are "judicial activism" or "political"

:roll:

Guess you'll never complain about another SCOTUS decision, eh?

No, because when they make decisions with with I disagree, SCOTUS is engaging in judicial activism or politics, because if I don't agree they are wrong on the law. Duh!

In theory, Chief Justice Roberts may be right. But you sure do have activist judges and those who believe the Constitution is a living document and those who go by original intent. Those judges who amend the Constitution via their rulings instead of going the amendment route the constitution itself proscribes.

So, the right to keep and bear "arms" can only be understood by also adopting the what the founders considered "arms" at that time, which means of course a single shot flintlock! So the 2A protects only our right to bear single shot rifles and pistols, right?

So, the right to keep and bear "arms" can only be understood by also adopting the what the founders considered "arms" at that time, which means of course a single shot flintlock! So the 2A protects only our right to bear single shot rifles and pistols, right?

Using that 'logic' the 1A does not apply to television, radio or the internet.

Back
Top Bottom