• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Can we take war seriously anymore?

Not at all. But the fact is, we brought the war that produced this. They didn't start this; we did. We can't pretend we played no role it. That's dishonest.

who said we played no role. You are trying to shift responsibilty onto us, not the actors in order to discredit the war effort for your far left politics.

who said we played no role. You are trying to shift responsibilty onto us, not the actors in order to discredit the war effort for your far left politics.

There's no honest way around it, we are responsible for the war. We invaded the country. We are part of the actores in this play. Iraq didn't invade us. Once you destroy the infastructure, the fight for power was bound to happen. Anyone wanting to consider the possible consequences of invading had to know this.

I would say our way of presenting war is new where it's a TOTAL immersion experience for the people watching it.

then you would be incorrect. modern warfare is uique in that differing views of it are offered to th same populace.

In the Iraq war (and Afghanistan), the US and coalition did not plan to gain power, land or resources; such things were never realized, either. It didn't make the US more powerful. It didn't give the US more land. It is a major draw on US resources and the economy. The fundamental behaviors are not the same; collateral damage is not murder. The enemy is tyranny and oppression. Welcome to the 21st century, we're tryin to get free. US policy of destabilization didn't go too well (hoping the tyrants would kill each other off was overly optimistic, even if it bought us time). We adopted a liberation policy a bit ago.

Some people eat what they're spoonfed.

actually America's wars have always had a uniquely ideological tenor to them.

It goes beyond war. The question is whether we as a society are capable of recognizing reality at all, or if we're so wrapped up in the labyrinth created by generations of unhinged advertising that we're little more than drug addicts slowly dying in a prison we don't even see.

It goes beyond war. The question is whether we as a society are capable of recognizing reality at all, or if we're so wrapped up in the labyrinth created by generations of unhinged advertising that we're little more than drug addicts slowly dying in a prison we don't even see.

Thats good! Go on.

There's no honest way around it, we are responsible for the war. We invaded the country. We are part of the actores in this play. Iraq didn't invade us. Once you destroy the infastructure, the fight for power was bound to happen. Anyone wanting to consider the possible consequences of invading had to know this.

Wait a minute. We didn't force Saddam to slaughter 200k Kurds (the vast majority of which were totally helpless), killing towns of 10k with chemical weapons; he gassed his own people to the tune of genocide. We didn't force Saddam to drain the southern swamp and kill 50k Marsh Arabs, a second act of genocide. We didn't force Saddam to sell food exchanged in the oil for food program, leading directly to the malnourishment and starvation deaths of 400k Iraqi children. We didn't force Saddam to violate seventeen chapter 7 UN security council resolutions, the last of which promised "grave consequences" if he failed to comply.

If there is blame for this war, let us lay it upon Saddam and the natural human ambition to end the terrible suffering of millions under genocidal dictatorship.

What you are doing is like blaming the executioner for killing a prisoner. Of course, I think the US (and all the free world) bears a responsibility to help Iraq achieve its potential and the US has gone a long way towards that.

@Troubadour: The meek shall inherit.

Last edited:
Wait a minute. We didn't force Saddam to slaughter 200k Kurds (the vast majority of which were totally helpless), killing towns of 10k with chemical weapons; he gassed his own people to the tune of genocide. We didn't force Saddam to drain the southern swamp and kill 50k Marsh Arabs, a second act of genocide. We didn't force Saddam to sell food exchanged in the oil for food program, leading directly to the malnourishment and starvation deaths of 400k Iraqi children. We didn't force Saddam to violate seventeen chapter 7 UN security council resolutions, the last of which promised "grave consequences" if he failed to comply.

If there is blame for this war, let us lay it upon Saddam and the natural human ambition to end the terrible suffering of millions under genocidal dictatorship.

What you are doing is like blaming the executioner for killing a prisoner. Of course, I think the US (and all the free world) bears a responsibility to help Iraq achieve its potential and the US has gone a long way towards that.

@Troubadour: The meek shall inherit.

Try addressing what I said.

As for Saddam, when he was killing them, what did we do?

What did we do?

So, we wait untill years later, after they were killed, allowed the sanctions to do even more suffering, and then, and only then bring war to Iraq. My God, why would anyone see a problem with that?

Adding injury to injury is nothing to be proud of. Even if we really cared about the people Saddam killed, which is highly debatable considering we did nothing while he was killing them, being reckless and bring war, the most likely method to see the most suffering, is hardly the best way to go about helping them.

BTW, the US is neither the executioner or the world policeman. They acted outside the UN and thus have no legal standing to invade any country. The US is as guilty as Iraq was when it invaded Kuwait, using almost the exact same flawed threat logic. Saddam is responsible for what Saddam did. But as no one forced us to invade, we are respopnsible for what we did.

BTW, the US is neither the executioner or the world policeman. They acted outside the UN and thus have no legal standing to invade any country. The US is as guilty as Iraq was when it invaded Kuwait, using almost the exact same flawed threat logic. Saddam is responsible for what Saddam did. But as no one forced us to invade, we are respopnsible for what we did.

This tells us all we need to know about you.

Tell me you were military. If the 91 gulf war happened on your watch, would you have gone?

Try addressing what I said.

As for Saddam, when he was killing them, what did we do?

What did we do?

So, we wait untill years later, after they were killed, allowed the sanctions to do even more suffering, and then, and only then bring war to Iraq. My God, why would anyone see a problem with that?

Adding injury to injury is nothing to be proud of. Even if we really cared about the people Saddam killed, which is highly debatable considering we did nothing while he was killing them, being reckless and bring war, the most likely method to see the most suffering, is hardly the best way to go about helping them.

I addressed what you say, but I don't think you do; don't expect me to continue to do so.

"What did we do? What did we do?" is not a counter-argument. My point is that the accumulation of these events forced the hand of the free world. It was not long after Saddam killed 400k children in oil-for-food that we finally deposed him. Let's also note that the sanctions did not kill anyone and they were directed at military supplies.

The best way to help the Iraqi people and the region was to topple Saddam's regime and nation-build a democracy. The only way to do this was war - thanks to Saddam.

The only remaining question is: will Iran be Iraq's North Korea or will they be liberated as well.

Last edited:
I addressed what you say, but I don't think you do; don't expect me to continue to do so.

"What did we do? What did we do?" is not a counter-argument. My point is that the accumulation of these events forced the hand of the free world. It was not long after Saddam killed 400k children in oil-for-food that we finally deposed him. Let's also note that the sanctions did not kill anyone and they were directed at military supplies.

The best way to help the Iraqi people and the region was to topple Saddam's regime and nation-build a democracy. The only way to do this was war - thanks to Saddam.

The only remaining question is: will Iran be Iraq's North Korea or will they be liberated as well.

If you read in proper context it is. If your going to use his brutality, you have to address that when he was killing them, his brutality, we turned the other way. And when we asked the Kurds to rise up, we left them to be killed (there was a reason and why I asked that someone check into that and Chalabi). What we did then speaks to your argument if you read it and think about it.

And no, the oil for food scandel does not equal killing 400k children. That is badly misreading the events.

And no, no one's hand was forced. We did not HAVE to invade. Remember, inspectors were on the ground.

And war was not the best way. It was only the most costly way, the most painful way, the most destructive way. While it is easier to destroy and break things, that doesn't make it the best way.

And Iraq only helps embolden Iran, making them stronger. Neither of your two options will be correct.

Since I am an unabashed nationalist, this does not bother me. :mrgreen:

Since I am an unabashed nationalist, this does not bother me. :mrgreen:

A huge expense for next to nothing should bother even an unabashed nationalist. Though I would prefer you were a patriot and not a nationalist. Just saying . . . .

A huge expense for next to nothing should bother even an unabashed nationalist. Though I would prefer you were a patriot and not a nationalist. Just saying . . . .

Well, to be serious, I am concerned that the Iraq war may end up doing little or nothing for the USA in terms of our own intrests and national security. I have serious reservations about how the war was conducted, and how the rebuilding of Iraq and re-constructing of its government has been done.

Our real purpose in invading Iraq is obvious: we were concerned that Iraq might destabilize the MidEast, which is one of our major source of oil. We believed that we could improve the region's security/stability by overthrowing Saddam, wrecking his military machine, and installing a government that would be less inclined to invade the neighbors.

That policy should have been articulated more clearly. It got lost in the noise.

Did we succeed? Time will tell. Was it worth it? Time will tell.

Well, to be serious, I am concerned that the Iraq war may end up doing little or nothing for the USA in terms of our own intrests and national security. I have serious reservations about how the war was conducted, and how the rebuilding of Iraq and re-constructing of its government has been done.

Our real purpose in invading Iraq is obvious: we were concerned that Iraq might destabilize the MidEast, which is one of our major source of oil. We believed that we could improve the region's security/stability by overthrowing Saddam, wrecking his military machine, and installing a government that would be less inclined to invade the neighbors.

That policy should have been articulated more clearly. It got lost in the noise.

Did we succeed? Time will tell. Was it worth it? Time will tell.

That would have bene a better argument, but still flawed. War destablizes. It what it does, and in part why oil prices have not gone down by us being in Iraq. Iraq had been that way for a long time, and the ME was not destablized. factually, our invading did more to destablize than Saddam did after Kuwait.

And while time will make things clearer, or at least allow for a revisionist view, we can make judgements on the short term, and so far it has been costly and mostly counter productive.

But your tone here has been reasonable and I like the better argument. Thanks.

That would have bene a better argument, but still flawed. War destablizes. It what it does, and in part why oil prices have not gone down by us being in Iraq. Iraq had been that way for a long time, and the ME was not destablized. factually, our invading did more to destablize than Saddam did after Kuwait.

And while time will make things clearer, or at least allow for a revisionist view, we can make judgements on the short term, and so far it has been costly and mostly counter productive.

But your tone here has been reasonable and I like the better argument. Thanks.

Yes, war destabilizes. But see, the problem is when you see that there is going to be war anyway, you can affect the outcome by choosing which war to fight, when to fight it, and where to fight it.

Iran and Iraq went at it for many years. Then Iraq invaded Kuwait and by intel reports intended to hook through Saudi Arabia and snap it up as well. This would have given Saddam control over too much of the ME oil reserves. That's why we stepped in the first time.

The second time was chiefly to prevent a future repeat of Saddam's ambition to be the ME big dog.

Sometimes there is going to be war whether you want it or not. Sometimes choosing to kick off the festivities before the other guy is ready is the right choice.

Was it the right choice this time? I'm not sure yet. Could we have handled this better? Sure.

Invading Iraq was utterly moronic, as Saddam was by far our most useful asset in the Middle East. He kept Iran in check, and brutally suppressed Islamic radicals, diverting their attention away from us. In addition, he threatened the Saudi's into allying with the U.S. for protection and buying our weapons. Finally, we already demonstrated we could trivially crush him if he tried to attack anyone we wanted to protect. He was actually more helpful as our enemy than he ever was an ally.

The invasion was utterly moronic. We could have spent less money and lives fighting 5 Gulf Wars in a row than a single counter-insurgency operation. When you have have overwhelming conventional force, you should seek to fight wars that can effectively use such power.

Goshin is indeed a patriot. Sorry you find that offensive.

Yes, war destabilizes. But see, the problem is when you see that there is going to be war anyway, you can affect the outcome by choosing which war to fight, when to fight it, and where to fight it.

Iran and Iraq went at it for many years. Then Iraq invaded Kuwait and by intel reports intended to hook through Saudi Arabia and snap it up as well. This would have given Saddam control over too much of the ME oil reserves. That's why we stepped in the first time.

The second time was chiefly to prevent a future repeat of Saddam's ambition to be the ME big dog.

Sometimes there is going to be war whether you want it or not. Sometimes choosing to kick off the festivities before the other guy is ready is the right choice.

Was it the right choice this time? I'm not sure yet. Could we have handled this better? Sure.

I don't agree with your first claim. Why we may have worried about Saddam getting too much, and I won't argue it wasn't in some of the thinking, the arguement for us stopping him was an international one, through the UN, that such aggreession based on false threat arguemnt that Saddam used couldn't be tolerated. Nor should it have been, and under the UN, internationabl law, that made sense.

In 2003 we used Saddam's argunment ourselfs, falsely arguing there was a threat. There wasn't one of that kind. And no one believed Saddam would step out again. It would have been pointless for him to even try, as he had no chance of success. He wasn't that foolish. Nor did we believe him to be. Our own intel said he wasn't and that he was not likley to much of anything, unless we invaded.

War did not have to be in this case. I see no evidence suggesting that war was inevitable minus or own desire for it.

I don't agree with your first claim. Why we may have worried about Saddam getting too much, and I won't argue it wasn't in some of the thinking, the arguement for us stopping him was an international one, through the UN, that such aggreession based on false threat arguemnt that Saddam used couldn't be tolerated. Nor should it have been, and under the UN, internationabl law, that made sense.

In 2003 we used Saddam's argunment ourselfs, falsely arguing there was a threat. There wasn't one of that kind. And no one believed Saddam would step out again. It would have been pointless for him to even try, as he had no chance of success. He wasn't that foolish. Nor did we believe him to be. Our own intel said he wasn't and that he was not likley to much of anything, unless we invaded.

War did not have to be in this case. I see no evidence suggesting that war was inevitable minus or own desire for it.

Hmmm.

You may have a point, in some regards. You may or may not recall, however, that Saddam had violated innumerable UN directives regarding various actions he was supposed to take/not take, and was condemned for those violations by the UN and innumerable nations. Many leaders expressed concern that Iraq was developing chemical, biological or radiological weapons and might use them, including Tony Blair and Bill Clinton (during his Presidency... you may recall he bombed Iraq.). Saddam was very uncooperative with UN arms inspectors, to say the least. To a large degree, he brought this on himself. As it turns out he was either bluffing about all the CBR weapons, or else Syria got them before we invaded as some believe. Too bad for him.

You appear to hold to a very, very high standard about when we should go to war. You want international approval, proof positive of necessity beyond any shadow of a doubt, and certainty that the end result will be better than inaction. I retort that we didn't have all that even going into World War Two... yet if we had stayed out of it, the end results may have been catastrophic.

My standards are not nearly so stringent. I don't require moral equivalency arguments because I believe in American Exceptionalism. My only intrest in the UN is as a vehicle to get other nations to pitch in and support actions that benefit America and our allies.... otherwise the UN can go hang for all I care. International "Law" be thrice-damned and ground up for sausage, a soveriegn nation acts in its own intrests and according to its own laws.... and the ultimate law between nations is how many carrier groups, bomber squadrons and tank brigades do you have.

To my thinking, an evil bastard named Saddam Hussein got most deservedly taken out of power and hung. A bunch of evil SOB's called the Baathists got taken down; good job. A nation called Iraq got a chance to start over without a brutal tyrant and shape their own destiny; what they do with that chance is now up to them.

As for whether we were better off with Saddam as-is, in terms of securing American intrests in that region... well, we can argue what-ifs and maybes all day, in the end, well it is done and we have to work with what we've got. Odds are we'll have to kick some more ass in that region soon enough; it's not a very stable region to start with, it's chock-full of dictators with more 'dick' than sense. :shrug: It's like that sometimes.

I volunteered for the first Gulf War; was turned down due to a hearing problem. My son will probably fight in the next one. I'm okay with that.

Goshin, et al,

This view that is commonly held.

Many leaders expressed concern that Iraq was developing chemical, biological or radiological weapons and might use them, including Tony Blair and Bill Clinton (during his Presidency... you may recall he bombed Iraq.).
(COMMENT)

We were all wrong, if I can para-phrase Dr David Kay.

Dr David Kay's Testimony to the Senate Armed Services Committee said:
KAY: Let me begin by saying, we were almost all wrong, and I certainly include myself here.

Senator Kennedy knows very directly. Senator Kennedy and I talked on several occasions prior to the war that my view was that the best evidence that I had seen was that Iraq, indeed, had weapons of mass destruction.

I would also point out that many governments that chose not to support this war -- certainly, the French president, Chirac, as I recall in April of last year, referred to Iraq's possession of WMD. The German certainly -- the intelligence service believed that there were WMD.

It turns out that we were all wrong, probably in my judgment, and that is most disturbing.

We're also in a period in which we've had intelligence surprises in the proliferation area that go the other way. The case of Iran, a nuclear program that the Iranians admit was 18 years on, that we underestimated. And, in fact, we didn't discover it. It was discovered by a group of Iranian dissidents outside the country who pointed the international community at the location.

The Libyan program recently discovered was far more extensive than was assessed prior to that.

This is a key. The United States is not always right.

Saddam was very uncooperative with UN arms inspectors, to say the least. To a large degree, he brought this on himself. As it turns out he was either bluffing about all the CBR weapons, or else Syria got them before we invaded as some believe.

Too bad for him.
(COMMENT)

Yes... And the same thing can happen to the US.

You appear to hold to a very, very high standard about when we should go to war. You want international approval, proof positive of necessity beyond any shadow of a doubt, and certainty that the end result will be better than inaction.

I retort that we didn't have all that even going into World War Two... yet if we had stayed out of it, the end results may have been catastrophic.
(COMMENT)

Prior to our formal entry into the war, Japan and Germany both declared war on the US.

My standards are not nearly so stringent. I don't require moral equivalency arguments because I believe in American Exceptionalism.
(COMMENT)

And this is a problem. Remember the KEY, we are not always right and the entire world knows it.

Who granted the US the exception?

Odds are we'll have to kick some more ass in that region soon enough; it's not a very stable region to start with, it's chock-full of dictators with more 'dick' than sense. :shrug: It's like that sometimes.
(COMMENT)

And that is what other nations are afraid. They are afraid we will make another mistake, more catastrophic than the first.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending Saddam or Iraq; but, I am also not promoting the idea that the US is infallible. We make mistakes and we are not perfect.

Most Respectfully,
R

I would say our way of presenting war is new where it's a TOTAL immersion experience for the people watching it.

My husband was stationed in Balad for quite some time - no media presence at all but it was an extremely active target location.

Oddly - many people had no clue about what happened there *because* there was no media present to record and report.

Those who are given assignments and have to plan attacks and movements aren't thinking of "are the cameras rolling?" - in fact - I've heard their view of the media presence to the just the opposite. The media, when around, tends to be a nuisance requiring military protection - more of a burden than a benefit to the military personnel.

And I betya a lot of things, after having it come to light, would have made some people extremely happy if the media wasn't there to collect non-military jurisdiction evidence of said activity.

But I believe that almost everyone who is unaffected directly (by being close (relationship, friendship) to someone who deployed or served in some fashion are removed from the 'realness' of it - whether they watch it on TV or not. Instead of it being close to home and disturbing - it's distant and mere stories.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom