• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Can Atheists be Patriotic Americans?

Oh, come now, RightinNYC, you really didn't hear anything remotely close to that at the 8/28 rally?

I didn't listen to or attend the rally, which is why I don't start threads where I make unsupported claims about what people at the rally said. YMMV.

Or just as a quick sound-bite:

"Something beyond imagination is happening," he [Beck] told participants who packed the National Mall in Washington. "America today begins to turn back to God. For too long, this country has wandered in darkness."

How is that even remotely similar to the quote in the OP?

Okay ... ?

He thinks that the fact that some researcher refers non-specifically to an alleged quote about atheists, that proves that Bush actually said the quote in the OP and that everything else is just a coverup.

He thinks that the fact that some researcher refers non-specifically to an alleged quote about atheists, that proves that Bush actually said the quote in the OP and that everything else is just a coverup.
How many degrees of hearsay are we on with this fax? I lost count. Or I lost interest. Not sure which.

I'm saying it's a lot of effort to keep from saying: "I didn't say that," if in fact, he didn't.

Of course I don't know with 100% certainty that GHWB uttered the quote in question. I wasn't there. But there's enough chatter out there that, if it was an outright lie, why not just say so?

Maybe he didn't say it, but his consistent refusal to deny it, despite repeated direct inquiries about it, is suspicious.

I'm saying it's a lot of effort to keep from saying: "I didn't say that," if in fact, he didn't.

Of course I don't know with 100% certainty that GHWB uttered the quote in question. I wasn't there. But there's enough chatter out there that, if it was an outright lie, why not just say so?

Maybe he didn't say it, but his consistent refusal to deny it, despite repeated direct inquiries about it, is suspicious.
Would you believe him if he said he didn't say it?

Why do you care, anyway? Last time I checked he wasn't president any more.

Do you have proof that Obama didn't actually smoke crack with Larry Sinclair and then give him a blowie? I mean, I don't know with 100% certainty that Obama did a puff and blow in a limo, I wasn't there. But there's enough chatter out there that, if it was an outright lie, why not just say so?

Maybe he didn't hit the rock and then rock the dick, but his consistent refusal to deny it, despite repeated direct inquiries about it, is suspicious.

You know, years ago, when I was a legal cog in a very large corporate machine, we got a letter from some smartasses who thought they could bilk money out of the company by sending a letter which said, in short:

Dear Company: you owe us 12 million dollars. We wish to settle this matter in good faith with you, but if you do not reply within three days of the date of this letter, we will consider that an admission of default and will expect to collect the full amount from you. Please reply.

And a good laugh was had by all. I mean, they notarized it and everything.

That's what this dude's request for an apology sounds like to me.

Last edited:
What a ****ing waste of good bandwidth this was.

What a ****ing waste of good bandwidth this was.
I know. I can't believe I looked away from Family Guy for this. I mean, I'll have to wait until next week for them to replay this episode again.

Actually, he admitted to the coke use...

Which is why I didn't ask you about his coke use, I asked about his alleged crack-and-beej experience.

edit: Actually, I think I just got the answer I was looking for - I asked you about it and you gave me an answer that didn't address my point. That means it happened!

Would you believe him if he said he didn't say it?

Why do you care, anyway? Last time I checked he wasn't president any more.

OK, people seem to be missing the point of this thread. I was reminded of the GHWB quote by the tone at the 8/28 rally. It was meant to inspire a debate about the invocation of religious, namely Christian, imagery when ostensibly discussing public policy, and the exclusionary nature of this trend. In retrospect, maybe I should have stuck more strictly to that theme.

OK, people seem to be missing the point of this thread. I was reminded of the GHWB quote by the tone at the 8/28 rally. It was meant to inspire a debate about the invocation of religious, namely Christian, imagery when ostensibly discussing public policy, and the exclusionary nature of this trend. In retrospect, maybe I should have stuck more strictly to that theme.
Ya think?

Dont be coy. If you want to discuss something, just say so. I appreciate flirting from people I find attractive, not from people I'm trying to have an exchange with.

Do you really expect anyone to pile on with "yeah, only Christians can be considered citizens?"

I know. I can't believe I looked away from Family Guy for this. I mean, I'll have to wait until next week for them to replay this episode again.

That is why Hulu is the greatest invention ever.

Ya think?

Dont be coy. If you want to discuss something, just say so. I appreciate flirting from people I find attractive, not from people I'm trying to have an exchange with.

Fair enough.

Awkward parallels aside, any thoughts on my observation regarding Beck's rally? From anyone.

Do you really expect anyone to pile on with "yeah, only Christians can be considered citizens?"

Sadly, it wouldn't surprise me terribly. Heard a David Barton speech lately??

Fair enough.

Awkward parallels aside, any thoughts on my observation regarding Beck's rally? From anyone.
Except the entire OP was basically centered around a quote you cant support. Beyond that, why devote a single neuron to considering anything a man like Beck has to say when the man has flat admitted that his entire shtick is for the Benjamins.

Freedom *of* religion also includes the freedom to not be religious at all if you so choose.

If you're not religious then you don't believe God gave man inalienable rights. Instead - you believe that men have those rights because the government, constitution, or general consensus of the people says you have those rights.

If someone believes that 'you can't be a patriotic American if you don't believe in ___ religion' then people who are searching but haven't found what they believe in yet aren't patriotic, either (if you apply that standard).

Which includes people like my Husband - raised without religion in his life. Ever since his sister died unexpectedly of a mysterious illness he's been trying to make sense of religion and beliefs and so forth - searching for answers. . . He's in the military and has shed blood for our country and some of his injuries he will never fully recover from - there are some things he will never be able to do again.

Someone would dare call him unpatriotic?

You can kiss my ass and go **** yourself.

Back
Top Bottom