• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Calls for gun control stir little support [W:265]

jamesrage

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
This means that pro-2nd amendment groups are doing their job good.

My Way News - Calls for gun control stir little support
[FONT=Verdana,Sans-serif] Public sentiment had swung.
According to a Gallup poll in 1990, 78 percent of those surveyed said laws covering the sale of firearms should be stricter, while 19 percent said they should remain the same or be loosened.
By the fall of 2004 support for tougher laws had dropped to 54 percent. In last year's sounding, 43 percent said they should be stricter, and 55 percent said they should stay the same or be made more lenient.
[/FONT]

According to a Gallup poll in 1990, 78 percent of those surveyed said laws covering the sale of firearms should be stricter, while 19 percent said they should remain the same or be loosened.
By the fall of 2004 support for tougher laws had dropped to 54 percent. In last year's sounding, 43 percent said they should be stricter, and 55 percent said they should stay the same or be made more lenient.
[/FONT]

I saw this and theres a another article or two that theres no great support...but Blumenthal the NYC attention whore...who cant figure out of hes a democrat independent or republican says "HE" is going to stir the gun issue up...

alot of the changing sentiment over the years has to do with the fact that clintons strict gun laws,waiting periods and his assault weapons ban did basically nothing to stop or even slow down crime.

infact part of his assault weapons ban had slipped in it a part that monitored gun crimes during the assault weapons ban.after such extreme measures failed to even dampen crime,of course this caused the assault weapons ban to expire instead of being renewed.

Perhaps people actually think better after seeing what gun control REALLY does for crime rates. Are Chicago and DC less violent having MOST citizens unarmed? What has a total ban on recreational drugs done for us? Are there less drugs on the streets? Are there less violent criminal gangs getting rich and killing each other to gain valuable drug sales territory? When the crack head down the street decides that it is your turn to donate valuables for his next rock, it is indeed handy to be armed. When that gang thug wants your car it is nice to be able to firmly deny that "request". When seconds really matter, the police are only minutes away.

alot of the changing sentiment over the years has to do with the fact that clintons strict gun laws, waiting periods and his assault weapons ban did basically nothing to stop or even slow down crime.....

prove it...with evidence.

alot of the changing sentiment over the years has to do with the fact that clintons strict gun laws,waiting periods and his assault weapons ban did basically nothing to stop or even slow down crime…

prove it...with evidence.

It seems that this is an instance in which the burden of proof would fall solidly on the side that wants to claim that the gun laws in question did have some beneficial effect on the crime rate.

alot of the changing sentiment over the years has to do with the fact that clintons strict gun laws,waiting periods and his assault weapons ban did basically nothing to stop or even slow down crime....

fascinating claim. got any evidence for it?

or this just speculation.

alot of the changing sentiment over the years has to do with the fact that clintons strict gun laws,waiting periods and his assault weapons ban did basically nothing to stop or even slow down crime....

...even more crime rates went down under the assault weapons ban.....

hmmm.......

Instead of gun control, why don't we try nutcase control?

More likely, it means the NRA has made stupidity fashionable.

How is looking out for our second amendment rights stupid? What is stupid is trying to severely restrict access to firearms when a tiny insignificant fraction of firearms are involved in murder.

Crimes committed with assault weapons are like airline accidents. The actual event rarely happens but when it does the devistation is astounding.

fascinating claim. got any evidence for it?

or this just speculation.

if there was evidence that those gun laws stopped crime, assholes like Bloomturd would be vomiting it out 24/7

More likely, it means the NRA has made stupidity fashionable.

actually stupid are those who blame the NRA for crimes. Its like blaming the first amendment for priests sodomizing boys

hey, if you can speculate, so can I.

no need to speculate-there were several studies done about the brady bill and the clinton Gun ban. As I recall, the only positive result even major league anti gun researchers could find was that SUICIDES involving one age cohort (I believe it was 50-55 years of age) went down. that was IT

Instead of gun control, why don't we try nutcase control?

I'm OK with that as well.

And I don't believe either side should use this to further their agenda.

That said, opinion is probably a little more split than this poll. And I do believe at some point we should have this conversation. And preferably we should have it without all the silliness so many bring to it. But a rational, controlled conversation. We may even consider updating the second amendment, not to ban guns at all, but define clearly what it means.

How is looking out for our second amendment rights stupid? What is stupid is trying to severely restrict access to firearms when a tiny insignificant fraction of firearms are involved in murder.

The NRA is gun industry pressure group. It's fundamental purpose is increasing sales of guns not protecting rights. All the hype about rights is designed to support a market for guns. The NRA wants guns to be a part of American culture. The changing attitudes reported by polls shows us they've been very successful in making a good number of Americans believe guns are no different than any other household item despite their potential to create grief and suffering. The NRA has made Americans believe something which calm, sober reasoning easily shows to be untrue.

Last edited:
The NRA is gun industry pressure group. It's fundamental purpose is increasing sales of guns not protecting rights. All the hype about rights is designed to support a market for guns. The NRA wants guns to be a part of American culture the way microwaves and lawnmowers are. The changing attitudes shows us they've been very successful in making a good number of Americans believe guns are no different than any other household item.

They're too late, guns have always been a part of the American Culture.

[/FONT]

Of course it means that groups like the NRA have done their job.... and have effectively won this issue.

It would take one of these incidents on an almost weekly basis for a year before the public was ready to cast aside thirty years of NRA propaganda and actually be ready for a national conversation on weapons.

The right has done a masterful job at capturing this issue and having their way with it.

Of course it means that groups like the NRA have done their job.... and have effectively won this issue.

Then why do I have to pay $100 and spend six weeks waiting for a re-newal of my CCW every six years here in Massachusetts? Why do I have to go to New Hampshire to "visit" the guns I cannot purchase here which are completely legal in that state? Nothing has been WON by the NRA. They've simply managed a stalemate between the two extremes, and one that isn't always on their side of center.

It would take one of these incidents on an almost weekly basis for a year before the public was ready to cast aside thirty years of NRA propaganda and actually be ready for a national conversation on weapons.

I don't think most on the Left want a "National Conversation on Weapons". They might find that there are more legal and law-abiding gun owners our there who have family and friends willing to stand on THEIR side of the ledger than there are on the "Ban all Guns" bandwagon.

The right has done a masterful job at capturing this issue and having their way with it.

Not at all. You do realize that there are two states which still deny their citizens the right to carry a concealed weapon, right? That traveling across state lines with a firearm is a royal pain in the ass? That the inequities of the laws between states is dramatic and exceptionally annoying to the general gun-owning population?

Back
Top Bottom