• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Bush Approval Plummets to 35%

shuamort said:
You did understand my point though, right? It's a bit 'o reverse psychology. :mrgreen:
I understand your point, I was agreeing with you and further commenting on gysgt statement.

after this 'news' broke, I remember hearing that the Dems in Congress receieved an even lower approval rating than BUSH. oops :doh
so they dont like Bush for what he has done
but they dont like Dems for what they have not done, failed to do
or could it just be that the dems have nothing to point to other than attacks and obstructionism?

DeeJayH said:
after this 'news' broke, I remember hearing that the Dems in Congress receieved an even lower approval rating than BUSH. oops :doh
so they dont like Bush for what he has done
but they dont like Dems for what they have not done, failed to do
or could it just be that the dems have nothing to point to other than attacks and obstructionism?

It would be awesome if you could post sources instead of rumors.

JOHNYJ said:
Presiden Bush,the bogeyman President as it were. The man who got elected scaring he American People telling them vote for me or the Bogeyman will get you.Is totaly depended on the war, If the war were going well he would be doing great.It isnt so he isnt.
Its not that the war is unpopular its that the way the President is running it is unpopular. He is loosing it,Thats what the people are starting to think !

President Bush got reelected because the democrats nominated a flawed individual who is the biggest flip flopper in history, the biggest liberal in the senate and who based his whole campaign on a very questionable military career..............

Any decent moderate candidate could have beaten Bush...........

aps said:
I care. It makes me happy to see his approval rating going down....down....down.

History does not necessarily repeat itself.

Your major problem is that even if President Bush's approval rating is zero.....It does not matter........He already beat the dems in 2000,2002 and 2004 and can not run again..........You better hope that people liike McCain, Allen, Juliani and other Republican candidates for president in 2008 are low.......

cnredd said:
I just read the Poll questions....I almost vomited...

Check it out...These are the questions BEFORE any questions about Bush...

DID SOMEONE IN BUSH ADMIN. LEAK AGENT'S NAME?
ARE THE CHARGES AGAINST LIBBY TRUE?
KARL ROVE: HIS ACTIONS IN CIA MATTER WERE…
LIBBY & ROVE: DO THEIR ACTIONS DESERVE PROSECUTION?
HAVE YOU HEARD OR READ ABOUT CIA LEAK INVESTIGATION?
HOW IMPORTANT TO THE NATION IS THE CIA LEAK MATTER?
THE CIA LEAK MATTER: MOSTLY POLITICS?

Notice something funny going on here???

Point #1) The Poll, ON PURPOSE, starts with a negative story asking people DIRECT QUESTIONS pertaining to an event that is still under investigation...It sets them up psychologically to have a negative feeling...just like my first question in post above...

Point #2) It's a two page questionnaire...There was not ONE WORD about GWB until the second page...they mention the whole administration once...:roll:

Point #3) Notice anything else?....If you're going to go this route, why not show ALL issues?...Where are these questions?!?!?!?

HOW DO YOU FEEL ABOUT THE PRESIDENT'S INITIATIVE PERTAINING THE FLU VIRUS?
DO YOU FEEL THAT JUSTICE ALITO, WITH HIS 15 YEARS OF JUDICIAL EXPERIENCE, IS QUALIFIED TO BE ON THE SUPREME COURT BENCH?
HOW DO YOU FEEL ABOUT THE PRESIDENT ACCEPTING THE WITHDRAWAL OF HARRIET MIERS?
DO YOU BELIEVE THE PRESIDENT'S UPCOMING VISIT TO SOUTH AMERICA WILL HELP FOREIGN RELATIONS?

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/11/02/opinion/polls/main1005252.shtml

This is a bullshit poll...I would expect more from CBS...

The poll, just like any other scientific poll, asks questions relative to current events. If current events were good news for the Bush Administration then the poll, like any other scientific poll, would ask questions relative to those events. Of course, if that were the case, I would be willing to bet that Bush’s numbers would be higher.

However, and here is the epiphany here, because we have had so much bad things happen relative to the Bush Administration and its performance in office, his approval ratings are really low.

Wow!

Imagine that.

Back during the Lewinsky scandal, Clinton’s approval ratings stayed in the 60 to 70 percent range. Those polls all asked questions relative to the Lewinsky scandal, yet his approval ratings remained very good. Why is that, you might ask? Well its because his performance in office was viewed as being good by the majority of the American people. Therefore, even with the bad press, he had good approval numbers.

Wow!

Imagine that.

Navy Pride said:
Your major problem is that even if President Bush's approval rating is zero.....It does not matter........He already beat the dems in 2000,2002 and 2004 and can not run again..........You better hope that people liike McCain, Allen, Juliani and other Republican candidates for president in 2008 are low.......

It may not matter to you or him (although I would beg to differ that it does not matter to him). When did BUSH beat the dems in 2002? Was there a presidential election that I did not vote in? ;)

Bush is weak. See below.

President Pushover

By David S. Broder

Wednesday, November 2, 2005; Page A21

Under other circumstances, President Bush's choice of Judge Samuel Alito for the Supreme Court would have been seen as a bold move by a strong president with a clear policy objective. By choosing a man of superior intellectual heft and an indelible record of conservative views on major social issues, Bush would have been challenging his critics on the Democratic side to test their arguments in an arena where everything favored him: a Republican Senate.

But after the fiasco of the Harriet Miers nomination and the other reversals of recent days and weeks, the Alito nomination inevitably looks like a defensive move, a lunge for the lifeboat by an embattled president to secure what is left of his political base. Instead of a consistent and principled approach to major decision making, Bush's efforts look like off-balance grabs for whatever policy rationales he can find. The president's opponents are emboldened by this performance, and his fellow partisans must increasingly wonder if they can afford to march to his command.

But the message that has been sent is that this president is surprisingly easy to roll. He came out of his election victory proclaiming that Social Security reform was his No. 1 priority. For six months he stumped the country trying to sell his ideas -- and failed. In retrospect, even Republicans said he misjudged the temper of the public by emphasizing privatization over solvency as the chief goal. He tried to isolate senior citizens from the battle, only to see them in the front lines. And he managed to unite the Democrats in opposition -- something their own leaders rarely can manage.

Next came Hurricane Katrina, which showed the whole country a case study in mismanagement by a White House supposedly under Harvard Business School-level discipline. (LOL) Bush's first decision post-Katrina was to suspend the law guaranteeing prevailing wages for reconstruction work. But that decision too was quickly reversed, in the face of pressure from Democrats, moderate Republicans and even the supposedly enfeebled labor movement.

And then came the Miers fiasco, with the dagger held by the president's staunchest allies. It made a shambles of any consistent claim that Bush employs serious principles in picking judges. A system that veers from an accomplished and studiously nonideological John Roberts to a marginally credentialed and often confused-sounding Harriet Miers to an intellectual and experienced Samuel Alito with pronounced ideological views is no system at all.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/11/01/AR2005110101256.html

As I went to find this article, this is on the front page of the Washington Post right now:

Bush's Integrity Is Questioned According to Post-ABC Poll

By Richard Morin and Dan Balz
Washington Post Staff Writers
Thursday, November 3, 2005; 5:29 PM

For the first time in his presidency, a majority of Americans question the integrity of President Bush amid growing concerns about the overall direction of the country that have left Bush with record negative ratings on the economy, Iraq and even the war on terrorism, according to a new Washington Post-ABC News poll.

On virtually every key measure of presidential character and performance, the new survey found that Bush has never been less popular with the American people. Currently 39 percent approve of the job he is doing as president, while 60 percent now disapprove of his performance in office -- the highest level of disapproval ever recorded for Bush in Post-ABC polls.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/11/03/AR2005110301685.html

When did BUSH beat the dems in 2002? Was there a presidential election that I did not vote in?

aps, in the 2002 midterm elections riding on his coat tails Republicans picked up seats in both the Senate and the House which was unprecendented since it had not been done by a president in his second term since Eisenhower..........

aps said:
It may not matter to you or him (although I would beg to differ that it does not matter to him). When did BUSH beat the dems in 2002? Was there a presidential election that I did not vote in? ;)

Bush is weak. See below.

President Pushover

By David S. Broder

Wednesday, November 2, 2005; Page A21

Under other circumstances, President Bush's choice of Judge Samuel Alito for the Supreme Court would have been seen as a bold move by a strong president with a clear policy objective. By choosing a man of superior intellectual heft and an indelible record of conservative views on major social issues, Bush would have been challenging his critics on the Democratic side to test their arguments in an arena where everything favored him: a Republican Senate.

But after the fiasco of the Harriet Miers nomination and the other reversals of recent days and weeks, the Alito nomination inevitably looks like a defensive move, a lunge for the lifeboat by an embattled president to secure what is left of his political base. Instead of a consistent and principled approach to major decision making, Bush's efforts look like off-balance grabs for whatever policy rationales he can find. The president's opponents are emboldened by this performance, and his fellow partisans must increasingly wonder if they can afford to march to his command.

But the message that has been sent is that this president is surprisingly easy to roll. He came out of his election victory proclaiming that Social Security reform was his No. 1 priority. For six months he stumped the country trying to sell his ideas -- and failed. In retrospect, even Republicans said he misjudged the temper of the public by emphasizing privatization over solvency as the chief goal. He tried to isolate senior citizens from the battle, only to see them in the front lines. And he managed to unite the Democrats in opposition -- something their own leaders rarely can manage.

Next came Hurricane Katrina, which showed the whole country a case study in mismanagement by a White House supposedly under Harvard Business School-level discipline. (LOL) Bush's first decision post-Katrina was to suspend the law guaranteeing prevailing wages for reconstruction work. But that decision too was quickly reversed, in the face of pressure from Democrats, moderate Republicans and even the supposedly enfeebled labor movement.

And then came the Miers fiasco, with the dagger held by the president's staunchest allies. It made a shambles of any consistent claim that Bush employs serious principles in picking judges. A system that veers from an accomplished and studiously nonideological John Roberts to a marginally credentialed and often confused-sounding Harriet Miers to an intellectual and experienced Samuel Alito with pronounced ideological views is no system at all.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/11/01/AR2005110101256.html

As I went to find this article, this is on the front page of the Washington Post right now:

Bush's Integrity Is Questioned According to Post-ABC Poll

By Richard Morin and Dan Balz
Washington Post Staff Writers
Thursday, November 3, 2005; 5:29 PM

For the first time in his presidency, a majority of Americans question the integrity of President Bush amid growing concerns about the overall direction of the country that have left Bush with record negative ratings on the economy, Iraq and even the war on terrorism, according to a new Washington Post-ABC News poll.

On virtually every key measure of presidential character and performance, the new survey found that Bush has never been less popular with the American people. Currently 39 percent approve of the job he is doing as president, while 60 percent now disapprove of his performance in office -- the highest level of disapproval ever recorded for Bush in Post-ABC polls.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/11/03/AR2005110301685.html

I agree with this article, Bush has lost all my respect, and I backed him for as long as I could, I just can't do it anymore.:doh

"President Bush's job approval has reached the lowest level yet," according to the latest CBS News poll. "Only 35 percent approve of the job he's doing."

"The plunge in poll numbers is another dose of bad news for a White House mired in it. The only recent president lower at this point in their second term was Richard Nixon."

Meanwhile, Vice President Cheney's approval is just 19 percent.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/...n1005982.shtml

I thought that Bush and Cheney pledged that they would restore honor and integrity to the White House. What the heck happened?

I do not have too much faith in polls.Usually about a 1000 people paticipate in these polls. So how I am supposed to sit here and beleave that those 1000 people somehow represent the whole entire country?

alex said:
No where in this report does it state that the Democrat's approval rating is just as low or lower than Republicans in Congress.

No, that was not the question.

Deegan said:
No, that was not the question.

Yes, it was. See posts #27 and #28 in this thread. You posted the source in response to #28.

alex said:
Yes, it was. See posts #27 and #28 in this thread. You posted the source in response to #28.

You are correct, it was a partisan way of phrasing it, i meant congress as a whole.

galenrox said:
mathematics.
I took a statistics class a while ago, but that's where the margin of error comes from, it's usually 3-4%
So thus, from this poll you can draw that AT BEST Bush is at 39%, and at worst 31%.
Look into the actual mathematics behind polls, then you'll have an actual excuse to complain about them.

I would like to assume also that the people questioned in the polls are from all walks of life within our nation. Choosing just people from a single or similiar metropolitain location(s) would produce different results then allowing higher class, middle class, lower class, higher educated, and lower educated individuals into a single poll.

I just heard on Hardball (hardly a right wing bastion) that the poll was heavily weighted toward democrats............That would explain the low approval rating now wouldn't it.........

Navy Pride said:
I just heard on Hardball (hardly a right wing bastion) that the poll was heavily weighted toward democrats............That would explain the low approval rating now wouldn't it.........

That would contradict galenrox's statement above. I wonder which one is correct?

Navy Pride said:
Which poll? There are a few mentioned in this thread.

Gibberish said:
That would contradict galenrox's statement above. I wonder which one is correct?

I don't know but I am sure I am not the only one that watched Hardball tonight so others heard it too.....

Navy Pride said:

Spin this any way you want. All of these polls are biased right?
Even faux newz has it at 41 approve 51 disaprove.

BTW - Chris Mathews sucks.

Survey Approve Disapprove Unsure Approve minus

AP-Ipsos * 10/31 - 11/2/05 37 59 -22

ABC/Washington Post 10/30 - 11/2/05 39 60 1 -21

CBS 10/30 - 11/1/05 35 57 8 -22

CNN/USA Today/Gallup 10/28-30/05 41 56 3 -15

ABC/Washington Post 10/28-29/05 39 58 3 -19

FOX/Opinion Dynamics RV 10/25-26/05 41 51 8 -10

Gallup 10/24-26/05 41 56 3 -15

Pew 10/12-24/05 40 52 8 -12

CNN/USA Today/Gallup 10/21-23/05 42 55 3 -13

WNBC/Marist RV 10/12-13 & 17/05 41 53 6 -12

CNN/USA Today/Gallup 10/13-16/05 39 58 3 -19

Diageo/Hotline RV 10/12-16/05 40 57 2 -17

FOX/Opinion Dynamics RV 10/11-12/05 40 51 9 -11

NBC/Wall Street Journal 10/8-10/05 39 54 7 -15

Pew 10/6-10/05 38 56 6 -18

AP-Ipsos * 10/3-5/05 39 58 -19

CBS 10/3-5/05 37 58 5 -21

Newsweek 9/29-30/05 40 53 7 -13

FOX/Opinion Dynamics RV 9/27-28/05 45 47 8 -2

CNN/USA Today/Gallup 9/26-28/05 45 50 5 -5

ABC/Washington Post 9/8-11/05 42 57 1 -15

Pew 9/8-11/05 40 52 8 -12

Time 9/7-8/05 42 52 6 -10

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.pollingreport.com/BushJob.htm

[QUOTEBTW - Chris Mathews sucks. ][/QUOTE]

I am surprised you say that...Matthews is a big Liberal and worked in the Carter administration............

Here ya go...the most cuurent I can find....and biased in whatever direction you could want:

Nov. 3 (Bloomberg) -- President George W. Bush's job approval rating fell below 40 percent to its lowest level in three national polls conducted after the indictment of an administration official in the CIA leak case and the withdrawal of another aide as a Supreme Court nominee.

Thirty-five percent of the public said they approved of how Bush is handling his job in a CBS News poll, lower than any two- term president in the last 48 years except Richard Nixon, according to the network's data. A Zogby International poll found his job approval rating at 39 percent, as did a survey by the Washington Post/ABC News.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=10000087&sid=ajMramjJeDaM&refer=top_world_news

Gotta say....no matter how you spin it....sucks for Bush

Navy Pride said:
I am surprised you say that...Matthews is a big Liberal and worked in the Carter administration............

He stopped being a liberal years ago. He's just an interrupting, non-informed hack now. He reminds me of Zel Miller.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom