• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Bush Approval Plummets to 35%

26 X World Champs said:
Actually, Navy Pride wrote this:

To me, "EXACTLY like you" does mean the community member, key words being "EXACTLY LIKE YOU."

No, it means exactly like you. If I had meant them personally, he would have said "you".

Navy Pride said:
58,000 American servicemen (6 of them friends of mine) died in Vietnam because of people exactly like you, Fonda and Kerry......That does not count the millions of Vietnamese who were murdered by the Viet Cong and NVN after we left who were loyal to the USA.........
So "people" like Champs, Kerry and Fonda were the ones shooting at Americans in Nam? The Viet Kong was all a myth perpetuated by the liberal media to cover for Champs, Kerry and Fonda. I get it now.

Kelzie said:
No, it means exactly like you. If I had meant them personally, he would have said "you".

so simple
yet sooooooooooooooooo incomprehensible by so many
*shakes head*

Kelzie said:
Semantics, really. The post was, IMHO, intended to mean that anyone who disagrees with any war that we are in is a murderer because their belief causes soldiers to die. That is what I think is just plain wrong, irresponsible and posted in ignorance.

scottyz said:
So "people" like Champs, Kerry and Fonda were the ones shooting at Americans in Nam? The Viet Kong was all a myth perpetuated by the liberal media to cover for Champs, Kerry and Fonda. I get it now.
Hey! I'm old, but not that old! I was 18 in 1974 and my birth year was the last one entered into the Draft Lottery BUT the draft had been stopped.

However, I can also tell you that I was very, very much against the war, did protest it regularly, and I've always believed that it was the a complete and utter disaster and defeat for us. We were screwed by our politicians back then.

You know when the country started to turn against the Vietnam war? When the evening news shows had stories every night showing the horrors and when the PENTAGON released weekly death tolls for our soldiers. Look how freaked we are now by 2000+ deaths? Imagine the mind set when we reached 10K, 20K, 40K, 50k?

The people here who blame Walter Cronkite et al for the loss in Vietnam are as wrong as wrong can be. The media, thank God, got us out of there before we hit 70K, 100K etc.

26 X World Champs said:
Semantics, really. The post was, IMHO, intended to mean that anyone who disagrees with any war that we are in is a murderer because their belief causes soldiers to die. That is what I think is just plain wrong, irresponsible and posted in ignorance.

and yet is so many anti-war activists actually debated the issues it would be no big deal
but sooooooooo many of them spew tripe that Aids and Abets the enemy
and emboldens them
and tells them if they hang in there, the US will cut and run because so many americans will be against the war

meanwhile most war presidents in american history have seen their popularity plummet as a result of war
but that does not mean it was the wrong thing to do
just that a large portion of the american public is pathetic in large part

26 X World Champs said:
Hey! I'm old, but not that old! I was 18 in 1974 and my birth year was the last one entered into the Draft Lottery BUT the draft had been stopped.

However, I can also tell you that I was very, very much against the war, did protest it regularly, and I've always believed that it was the a complete and utter disaster and defeat for us. We were screwed by our politicians back then.

You know when the country started to turn against the Vietnam war? When the evening news shows had stories every night showing the horrors and when the PENTAGON released weekly death tolls for our soldiers. Look how freaked we are now by 2000+ deaths? Imagine the mind set when we reached 10K, 20K, 40K, 50k?

The people here who blame Walter Cronkite et al for the loss in Vietnam are as wrong as wrong can be. The media, thank God, got us out of there before we hit 70K, 100K etc.

Vietnam was an even tougher case, because IMO there was a greater justification for military intervention -- NV was clearly an aggressor against SV. But it was ultimately a civil war -- two groups of Vietnamese fighting over who would control their government. The legitimacy of the SV government was questioned, and as 26x points out, at some point people just wondered if it was worth it.

DeeJayH said:
and yet is so many anti-war activists actually debated the issues it would be no big deal
but sooooooooo many of them spew tripe that Aids and Abets the enemy
and emboldens them
and tells them if they hang in there, the US will cut and run because so many americans will be against the war

meanwhile most war presidents in american history have seen their popularity plummet as a result of war
but that does not mean it was the wrong thing to do
just that a large portion of the american public is pathetic in large part

And the lesson is ... how many times will we have to learn it? Don't get involved in military actions unless there is a clear justification for the action, it is necessary, and you have clearly defined goals. And don't bullshit the people.

26 X World Champs said:

the problem than, which could be the problem developing is politicians trying to run a war, gauging their position by popularity polls
rather than standing by what they VOTED FOR

imagine Millions
how would the current culture that is so distraught over 2000 dead
deal with Millions dead in WW II
******S, COWARDS, and Backboneless losers
Europe would be speaking German if Hitler was in power in 90's
only because the american politicians would tuck tail and run because poll numbers were low
Where are the Real Leaders?

If you do not win, you LOSE
and that, like in our past failures, will only embolden the enemy

DeeJayH said:
the problem than, which could be the problem developing is politicians trying to run a war, gauging their position by popularity polls
rather than standing by what they VOTED FOR

imagine Millions
how would the current culture that is so distraught over 2000 dead
deal with Millions dead in WW II
******S, COWARDS, and Backboneless losers
Europe would be speaking German if Hitler was in power in 90's
only because the american politicians would tuck tail and run because poll numbers were low
Where are the Real Leaders?

If you do not win, you LOSE
and that, like in our past failures, will only embolden the enemy

Have another martini. You'll feel better.

Iriemon said:
And the lesson is ... how many times will we have to learn it? Don't get involved in military actions unless there is a clear justification for the action, it is necessary, and you have clearly defined goals. And don't bullshit the people.

yet virtually every war in our history has gone south in public polls, including our Victories
including our war for Independence and the Civil War
should we have cut and run from every war in our history, just because the american public decides, 'eh, its not worth it anymore'
or 'we are not happy with the death toll'
doing so is spitting on the grave of every fallen soldier
would the american public supported WWII if they new how many millions would die in it
NO FREAKING WAY

If the public and the Politicians decide to go to war
Unleash the Dogs of War and let the military do its job until the mission is complete

Iriemon said:
Have another martini. You'll feel better.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Lemon Drop Martini's
love them
but unfortunately that is not what is driving my posts tonight
should have been here a few days back
pretty sure i took the Asshole of the month award because i did get on after drinking

DeeJayH said:
yet virtually every war in our history has gone south in public polls, including our Victories
including our war for Independence and the Civil War
should we have cut and run from every war in our history, just because the american public decides, 'eh, its not worth it anymore'
or 'we are not happy with the death toll'
doing so is spitting on the grave of every fallen soldier
would the american public supported WWII if they new how many millions would die in it
NO FREAKING WAY

If the public and the Politicians decide to go to war
Unleash the Dogs of War and let the military do its job until the mission is complete

I personally don't see a problem with, continuing to evaluate whether the benefits of the objective, the likelihood of achieving the objective, and the costs of achieving the objective warrant continued effort. In fact, I think it is a big mistake not to do these things.

Obviously, it would be a lot better if we had leaders who were smart enough and objective enough to consider these kinds of things prospectively.

Iriemon said:
I personally don't see a problem with, continuing to evaluate whether the benefits of the objective, the likelihood of achieving the objective, and the costs of achieving the objective warrant continued effort. In fact, I think it is a big mistake not to do these things.

Obviously, it would be a lot better if we had leaders who were smart enough and objective enough to consider these kinds of things prospectively.

democracy in the Middle East
has anyone anywhere said this is a bad objective......EVER
how about the rest of my post

DeeJayH said:
democracy in the Middle East
has anyone anywhere said this is a bad objective......EVER
how about the rest of my post

Encouraging democracy is not a bad objective in my opinion.

What is your point of the rest of your post? That America is not enough of a war-like nation? That is true. Most Americans don't like war. Another reason American leaders should exercise caution before deploying US troops.

Iriemon said:
Encouraging democracy is not a bad objective in my opinion.

What is your point of the rest of your post? That America is not enough of a war-like nation? That is true. Most Americans don't like war. Another reason American leaders should exercise caution before deploying US troops.

my meaning is that most support it in the beginning and than it fades over time
in doing so, they are doing a great disservice to the military that they put in harms way

Back
Top Bottom