• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Bullying is becoming epidemic

I love Rosie's answer. It's sooooo up to parents to take the fight to the teacher, principal, school board, superintendent. Whatever it takes to get a policy in place that effectively punishes those who behave destructively. Kids' should be learning in school. Not crying themselves to sleep because they don't want to go tomorrow.

If parents cared enough to manage their childrens' educations effectively, we wouldn't need the welfare schools in the first place.

Taxes are welfare is normally paid for. Plenty of people with children don't pay property taxes.

aye, one reason why lots of inner city schools are ****holes. the kids that attend come from homes where the parents are ****bags that don't pay taxes. therefore the school is underfunded.

aye, one reason why lots of inner city schools are ****holes. the kids that attend come from homes where the parents are ****bags that don't pay taxes. therefore the school is underfunded.

That's funny, I thought a school with teachers is all you really need to teach the basics and the inner city schools have that. The reason the kids do so badly is their ****ty ****ing parents who aren't educated themselves and don't stress the importance of getting an education, combined with a student population who gang up on kids who are "smart". ****ty ****ed up situtation.

That's funny, I thought a school with teachers is all you really need to teach the basics and the inner city schools have that. The reason the kids do so badly is their ****ty ****ing parents who aren't educated themselves and don't stress the importance of getting an education, combined with a student population who gang up on kids who are "smart". ****ty ****ed up situtation.

the underfunding is "one" reason, what you mentioned is, IMHO, the "main" reason.

how many really good teachers are going to want to work at some ****hole inner city school where the kids are thugs and the parents don't give a ****?

the underfunding is "one" reason, what you mentioned is, IMHO, the "main" reason.

how many really good teachers are going to want to work at some ****hole inner city school where the kids are thugs and the parents don't give a ****?

I am sure there are some good teachers who grew up there or something. But not many. I went to an inner city school for 2 years. A magnet school. This is where all the local students went to their classes and cut up and goofed off, while the white kids, who were bused in, took the magnet classes and studied hard. Lunchroom politics were interesting, as was the bus ride home through the projects. A group of us got off the bus one time while the bus was picking up middle schoolers. We tried cutting through the projects to a store. The kids from the projects jumped us with bats, knives, bottles and such and gave 2 of us gashes needing stitches. It's a rough life in the inner city. School is not high on their list of priorities.

Actually, most inner city schools aren't underfunded. The per pupil funding is actually higher than in the suburbs. But, the lack of parental involvement in education, coupled by clinging to failing teaching methods, plus the other issues going on in the homes, neighborhoods & families = fail.

I am sure there are some good teachers who grew up there or something. But not many. I went to an inner city school for 2 years. A magnet school. This is where all the local students went to their classes and cut up and goofed off, while the white kids, who were bused in, took the magnet classes and studied hard. Lunchroom politics were interesting, as was the bus ride home through the projects. A group of us got off the bus one time while the bus was picking up middle schoolers. We tried cutting through the projects to a store. The kids from the projects jumped us with bats, knives, bottles and such and gave 2 of us gashes needing stitches. It's a rough life in the inner city. School is not high on their list of priorities.

Interestingly enough, many of the cops I worked with attended the roughest school in our city.

Actually, most inner city schools aren't underfunded. The per pupil funding is actually higher than in the suburbs. But, the lack of parental involvement in education, coupled by clinging to failing teaching methods, plus the other issues going on in the homes, neighborhoods & families = fail.

i guess it depends on how the schools are funded. in some areas schools in poor areas have lower funding. but you are absolutely correct. lack of parental involvement plus other "cultural" issues are the biggest reason for the failure of inner city schools.

Interestingly enough, many of the cops I worked with attended the roughest school in our city.

the last school i taught at was so bad that the city cops actually had an office on campus with 3 cops on duty during school hours.

I know of one awesome teacher who chooses to do just that. She actually wants to make a difference.

I know of one awesome teacher who chooses to do just that. She actually wants to make a difference.

good for her. I hope she doesn't get raped, stabbed or shot by one of those thugs she is trying to help.

good for her. I hope she doesn't get raped, stabbed or shot by one of those thugs she is trying to help.
Ok, that's pretty ****ing uncalled for. My fiancee is a teacher and she deliberately chose an inner-city school in LA.

Ok, that's pretty ****ing uncalled for. My fiancee is a teacher and she deliberately chose an inner-city school in LA.

Why did she choose an inner-city school?

what? expressing sincere concern for someone who works in a dangerous environment is uncalled for?

Why did she choose an inner-city school?
She enjoys working with the kids that other people write off. She's very good at getting results out of kids.

what? expressing sincere concern for someone who works in a dangerous environment is uncalled for?
Your condescension is un-necessary.

She enjoys working with the kids that other people write off. She's very good at getting results out of kids.

Your condescension is un-necessary.

what condescension. totally serious. have you ever worked at an inner city school? do you have any idea how dangerous some of those places are? the last one I taught at had armed city cops patrolling the halls. I quit teaching because I choked a kid who assaulted me in my classroom.

I thought of this thread last night and I ended up having a talk with my four-year-old. Long story short, there is a girl who is kind of picking on her, so I told her that she could just hang out with her other friends instead. The interesting part is that I really got the feeling that she never considered confiding in Daddy about such things. I think maybe talking to her about it opened the lines of communication.

I thought of this thread last night and I ended up having a talk with my four-year-old. Long story short, there is a girl who is kind of picking on her, so I told her that she could just hang out with her other friends instead. The interesting part is that I really got the feeling that she never considered confiding in Daddy about such things. I think maybe talking to her about it opened the lines of communication.

good for you. better now than when she hits 13. ugh :thumbs:

She enjoys working with the kids that other people write off. She's very good at getting results out of kids..

Thumbs up. I am glad to hear she isn't merely idealistic and in for a rude awakening that may crush her idealism. Glad she is experienced with getting results. They need more of that downtown.

Back
Top Bottom