• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Bullying is becoming epidemic

only the people who own property pay property taxes. people living in govt subsidized housing don't pay property tax, and usually don't pay income tax.

If they live in subsidized housing, the owner of the HOUSING pays the taxes. Unless the government owns the building they're living in, property owners pay the taxes. That's why apartment buildings generally have very large tax bills.

If they live in subsidized housing, the owner of the HOUSING pays the taxes. Unless the government owns the building they're living in, property owners pay the taxes. That's why apartment buildings generally have very large tax bills.

If they are living in the projects, zero property taxes are paid, because the housing is owned by a government entity.

aye, one reason why lots of inner city schools are ****holes. the kids that attend come from homes where the parents are ****bags that don't pay taxes. therefore the school is underfunded.

what a disgusting thing to say.

School funding comes, generally speaking, from property taxes (sometimes sales taxes). I don't think that because someone doesn't own a home, they are an uninvolved or bad parent.

hardly. but i'll leave you to your inane generalizations.

so, tell me why many inner city schools are underfunded then. (note, I don't truely believe they are, but that is one of the excuses that are used to explain why they typically under-perform.)

Not necessarily Rosie. Your stepdaughter was acting out in reaction to one situation. I'm glad she got her stuff together, but IME, you cannot punish certain kids into better behavior. The kids who are bullying aren't always experimenting with bad behavior. Most know right from wrong. They often need something positive in their lives to get them out of the dance of anger. I know I'm not saying it as well as Catz & Ten. They may see themselves as bully or bullied and chose the former to avoid the latter. Negative consequences mean nothing to them because they already see themselves as "bad." They do not necessarily care if a priviledge is removed. Well, maybe they care, but they will never let you know they care. And in response, you will keep ramping up the punishments until you "get through" to them. When in fact, they are interpreting that as you bullying them. And they will take it out on someone weaker. At some point you may get so frustrated that you give up because nothing seems to be working. But the failure isn't with the child or the parent. It's with the method. I truly believe given the choice, most people want to be good. Some times you have to back it up and almost do the opposite to get results.

It was a small mention in my post, but the most important part was enlisting the aid of peers. Whether positive or negative in enforcement, it is the peer group that changes a bully into a non-bully. The adult has to be accessible and do the follow up as I described, but it's the peers who do the actual work of getting the bully to stop. That is where most parents fail to stop bullies. You can't bribe them out of it, you can't get them to stop by using a therapist, but the opinions and efforts of their peers will make all the difference.

Without this crucial component I doubt any change will be lasting. It is the number one thing adolescents care about, and they often bully to keep or enhance the pecking order...not realizing that bullies are barely tolerated rather than admired by others.

Regards from Rosie

projects, yes, section 8, not necessarily.

You're right. Most of the Chicago area is now Section 8 housing. "The Projects" have mostly been torn down. Section 8 Housing is privately owned.

You're right. Most of the Chicago area is now Section 8 housing. "The Projects" have mostly been torn down. Section 8 Housing is privately owned.

The multistory projects have been torn down, but you still have projects. They just look more like normal housing.

home | Chicago Housing Authority

CHA is the largest owner of rental housing in the city of Chicago, providing homes to more than 50,000 families and individuals, while supporting healthy communities in neighborhoods all across the city. CHA has almost 9,200 apartments in buildings designated for seniors and more than 8,600 units of family housing. It also oversees the administration of 36,900 Housing Choice vouchers that allow low-income families to rent in the private market.

You make a lot of comments, Maggie, but it appears you don't know your city as well as you think you do.

The multistory projects have been torn down, but you still have projects. They just look more like normal housing.

home | Chicago Housing Authority

You make a lot of comments, Maggie, but it appears you don't know your city as well as you think you do.

I absolutely positively stand corrected. Thank you, Catz.

Maybe I need to step away from this thread as there seems to be a lot of blame being put on the Victim of the bullies and the parents of the victims:(

How the hell can people defend bullies. Just. Do.Not.Get.IT

While picking up items for dinner i see this month issue of that rag called people.

Something about bullying. Then it dawned on me. This is one of those bull**** made up "epidemics" thu do from time to time.....

Remember the shark attack epidemic? It turned out it was actually one if the lowest years for shark attacjs yet the media tried to sell uss a **** and bull story about shark attacks on the rise....

This "bullyinng epidemic" nonsense is just more shark stories.

How the hell can people defend bullies. Just. Do.Not.Get.IT

Because they are being bullied into stop being who they are, which is bullies. You should be more tolerant.

While picking up items for dinner i see this month issue of that rag called people.

Something about bullying. Then it dawned on me. This is one of those bull**** made up "epidemics" thu do from time to time.....

Remember the shark attack epidemic? It turned out it was actually one if the lowest years for shark attacjs yet the media tried to sell uss a **** and bull story about shark attacks on the rise....

This "bullyinng epidemic" nonsense is just more shark stories.

Bingo. This is exactly like the "epidemic" of school violence in 1999, a year in which school violence was at extremely low levels. (1999 was when Columbine occurred).

Because they are being bullied into stop being who they are, which is bullies. You should be more tolerant.

Somethings we should not be accepting of:(

Back
Top Bottom