• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Body Art? (tattoos, piercings, scarification . . . all that)

Aunt Spiker

Cheese
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
What's yours?

I have one tattoo - my avatar - it's on my back, between my shoulder blades. I have various "doodle" scars on my legs - I did them in high school and when I have a tan they're quite readable. One reads my ex husband's name - which is barely legible, thankfully, only I really know it's there. But on the other leg I have someone else's name (which I tell people is a foreign word, in case they ask, because it's quite legible) and "Satan" with a 3-prong trident underneath and "NIN" written down the staff of it.

One day I'd like to tattoo over them with something, well, less weird or shocking.

Adding onto that - I have various streak scars, no designs, just various cuts here and there that were intentional - but meaningless - on my arms, stomach, back and legs. I now just tell everyone I was in an accident if they ask. :lol: In high school I, also, cut an inverted cross onto my stomach but being a fat tubby mom it will never be noticeable as a cross ever again.

Got this when I was fifteen. Rather wish I hadn't.

Picture%201.jpg

I came by all my scars honestly, and never had much intrest in tattoos. If I'd been accepted for military service for the first Gulf War, (turned down for hearing problem), I'd intended to get a unit tattoo. Since that didn't happen, I never got one. No intrest in piercings; when I was growing up men didn't do that.

So nada, I'm clean except for what life put on me, which was enough.

no tats, don't want any, and the only scars i can find without having to move are from getting bitten by a corgi on my right hand in primary school, and another one on my right palm from being stabbed with a pen by a psychobitch in high school

Nothing here either. Just plain ol' me. When I was in my late teens (mid-70's) I considered getting a small girly tatoo on my leg (butterfly or something equally benign and meaningless), but am really glad in retrospect that I didn't. I don't guess pierced ears count.:mrgreen:

I carved a guy's initials into my ankle in high school. I had the scar for years, but can't really see it now.

My first tat was two roses wrapping around my left pinky finger. Got it for my 18th birthday. The ink is a bit faded on it now and the outline has spread. I'm going to get it redone soon. It was done freehand.

Second one was a python around my right ankle, enveloping a pentagram. Got it when I was about... 24-25, I think. It was freehand too.

Last year, I got a tribal-ish design on top of my left foot, the black is highlighted with orange and purple ink. I found a design online and then modified it in paintshop and took that to the tattoo artist.
P6240604.JPG

I'm planning on getting one on the back of my neck sometime this year. I just need to firmly decide on what I want. And, when I finally get my body back, I'm going to get a tramp stamp on my lower back. I think I've earned it. ;)

Got my belly-button pierced when I was in my 20s. Not currently wearing a ring in it, but I will be again once I get my body back. Just that right now, my tummy isn't something I wish to adorn. LOL

Got a piercing in my outer labia as well. Considering getting a second one on the other side and getting a ring set with a delicate chain between the two.

I've considered other piercings, but have eventually opted against them. I've considered tongue piercings (LOVED my ex's), and lip or nose piercings. I've firmly opted against the tongue piercing, but I still toss around the idea of a lip or nose piercing.

tatto.jpg[/attachtatto 3.jpg

Attachments

• tatto.jpg
    tatto.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 12
I came by all my scars honestly, and never had much intrest in tattoos. If I'd been accepted for military service for the first Gulf War, (turned down for hearing problem), I'd intended to get a unit tattoo. Since that didn't happen, I never got one. No intrest in piercings; when I was growing up men didn't do that.

So nada, I'm clean except for what life put on me, which was enough.

Yea I have some pretty awesome scars, could make them into interesting stories but I'd be lying. :mrgreen:

I used to have my tongue pierced and have some old ear piercings, that I think have closed.
Not really interested in all that stuff now, seems kinda conformist to me.

I don't have any. I've considered getting a tattoo but I can't think of anything that I love so much I would want it ingrained on my body for life.

That's me. I don't really mind a small tasteful tattoo on folks, and some of my family members have them, but I'll have to say that a lot of tattoos do bug me and distract from what would otherwise be an attractive appearance. At least to me. Piercings, other than earrings, have the same affect on me. They just bother me especially if on the face. It isn't a judgmental thing and I don't think less of those who have them. But the people are far less attractive to me.

I was like that - with the tattoo. I wanted one for years and finally designed mine based on my husband's first tattoo (swords and shield) with our last name initial in the center. I have 4 diamonds - one for each kids - 3 blue and one red.

I am neither a pincushion, nor a New York City wall. I will never have anything pierced, although I have debated on getting a small, blue block M on my shoulder or some other conspicuous area, as I'm proud of my alma mater.

I have 13 tattoos in total, and I will probably end up getting more. They are addictive.

That's me. I don't really mind a small tasteful tattoo on folks, and some of my family members have them, but I'll have to say that a lot of tattoos do bug me and distract from what would otherwise be an attractive appearance. At least to me. Piercings, other than earrings, have the same affect on me. They just bother me especially if on the face. It isn't a judgmental thing and I don't think less of those who have them. But the people are far less attractive to me.

In all honesty I'd have to agree.

The other week I saw this pretty girl in a store, and she was just literally covered in tattoos. I wondered why she wanted to take a beautiful form and put what looked to me like graffiti all over it. I had this depressing mental image of her in 30 years, covered in fuzzy distorted ink that no longer looked like what it was intended to be.

To me it just seemed like someone had spray-painted the Mona Lisa with "Coolbreeze Wuz Here".

It's not that I looked down on her, I just felt saddened that she had marred her natural beauty by covering it over with dozens of largely-unattractive tattoos.

That's just the way I tend to feel about it, my gut-level reaction. I think a guy covered in tatt's looks just as bad. Guy I work with has this really ugly tatt all over his forearm, looks like a "zombie" tatt (rotting flesh, maggots, etc). I have to wonder why in hell someone would want to go through life with that on their arm, if they're over the age of 15.

I have a long stemmed rose tattoo, on the right side, just below my waistline.

I have no body piercing, because I dont like it. I got my ears pierced when I was 4, but I stopped wearing earings.

In all honesty I'd have to agree.

The other week I saw this pretty girl in a store, and she was just literally covered in tattoos. I wondered why she wanted to take a beautiful form and put what looked to me like graffiti all over it. I had this depressing mental image of her in 30 years, covered in fuzzy distorted ink that no longer looked like what it was intended to be.

To me it just seemed like someone had spray-painted the Mona Lisa with "Coolbreeze Wuz Here".

It's not that I looked down on her, I just felt saddened that she had marred her natural beauty by covering it over with dozens of largely-unattractive tattoos.

That's just the way I tend to feel about it, my gut-level reaction. I think a guy covered in tatt's looks just as bad. Guy I work with has this really ugly tatt all over his forearm, looks like a "zombie" tatt (rotting flesh, maggots, etc). I have to wonder why in hell someone would want to go through life with that on their arm, if they're over the age of 15.

My husband has full sleeves - skulls and zombies, stuff like that. I always liked it. He always liked it.
To each their own.

My husband has full sleeves - skulls and zombies, stuff like that. I always liked it. He always liked it.
To each their own.

Yup we're all different and I'm pretty much good with folks doing whatever makes them happy. I'll have to say for most positions I've interviewed folks for though, prominent visible tattoos or body piercings would be a definite negative when evaluating a candidate for suitability for the job. I'm sure times are changing though and that wouldn't be a factor in many cases. I do wonder though looking at all those young tattooed hardbodies, and then envisioning all those old tattoed men and women at the rest home 40 or 50 years from now. :)

''The other week I saw this pretty girl in a store, and she was just literally covered in tattoos. I wondered why she wanted to take a beautiful form and put what looked to me like graffiti all over it.''

I think people should certainly put some though into the tattoos they are going to get. While some tattoos are beautiful, others are vandalism.

I knew which tattoo and where I wanted to have it, years before I got it, and I made sure to choose somebody with an excellent reputation to do the tattoo. He even drew the tattoo on transparent paper for me, so I could take it away, and put it on my body to show and get opinions on, before I got the real thing. It was worth taking the time and care, because even people with no tattoos like mine.

There are other reasons for tattoos, though - I've met people who have vitiligo and psoriasis who get tattoos to cover their blemishes and other imperfections. Some people feel that full-tattoos hide their selves and help them feel more comfortable.

It kind of makes sense - I scarred my legs because guys at school llooked at them all the time and it made me uncomfortable, I figured I might as well give them something to look at.

''I've met people who have vitiligo and psoriasis who get tattoos to cover their blemishes and other imperfections. ''

I know a women, who got a tattoo on her stomach, when somebody she didnt know asked her how old her baby is. Apparently, the stranger could tell she had a baby because of a stretch mark on her stomach. She got a tattoo to camoflague it, rather than think of it as a medal of motherhood.

I have a long scar on one knee, but I would never get a tattoo on it. It is sensitive, and I hate when anybody tries to touch it, let alone tattoo it. But, the scar doesnt bother me. I dont even try to cover it with clothes. I dont even think about it, when choosing clothes, and nobody else seems to think about it or notice it either, despite its size. Maybe being indifferent to ones inperfections makes others think about them in the same way. If so, it is a pity I cant be indifferent about everything to do with how I look.

''I've met people who have vitiligo and psoriasis who get tattoos to cover their blemishes and other imperfections. ''

I know a women, who got a tattoo on her stomach, when somebody she didnt know asked her how old her baby is. Apparently, the stranger could tell she had a baby because of a stretch mark on her stomach. She got a tattoo to camoflague it, rather than think of it as a medal of motherhood.

I have a long scar on one knee, but I would never get a tattoo on it. It is sensitive, and I hate when anybody tries to touch it, let alone tattoo it. But, the scar doesnt bother me. I dont even try to cover it with clothes. I dont even think about it, when choosing clothes, and nobody else seems to think about it or notice it either, despite its size. Maybe being indifferent to ones inperfections makes others think about them in the same way. If so, it is a pity I cant be indifferent about everything to do with how I look.

medal of motherhood?
*giggle*

Yeah, that's what they are :shrug: Sorry, but if I felt that a small, cute tattoo - or a few - would hide all my "medals" I'd get them too. . . **** yeah I'd get them. Sadly, my "medals" look like they were partially smelted amid purification . . . and then some. I'd give anything to just have a few stretchmarks.

I came by all my scars honestly, and never had much intrest in tattoos.

Same here. And I've got a ****load of scars.

I would also add that I came by a few "peircings" in a similar fashion. Friggin faulty nailguns. :lol:

LOL - in high school I use to use safety pins to pierce my ears and skin webs (between my fingers - especially between my thumb and forefinger) just to freak people out.
I use to stitch beads onto my fingers - to tops - and go around like that. It was fun to make people squirm. But do it now? **** no, that's stupid painful ****.

medal of motherhood?
*giggle*

Yeah, that's what they are :shrug: Sorry, but if I felt that a small, cute tattoo - or a few - would hide all my "medals" I'd get them too. . . **** yeah I'd get them. Sadly, my "medals" look like they were partially smelted amid purification . . . and then some. I'd give anything to just have a few stretchmarks.

I've looked into getting tats to cover some stretch marks. You can actually use the scars (stretch marks in my case) in the tattoo design, you get creative. I'm considering getting a rather large tattoo on my right hip to cover some stretch marks. If I do an underwater scene, the stretch marks could actually be made to give it even more of an appearance of being under water, and a three dimensional look.

Back
Top Bottom