• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[W:794]Bloomberg pays fines for 32,000 felons in Florida so they can vote

the law on this is clear that all fines must be paid.

ps i voted for this amendment to pass. i thought it was a good amendment to have. i expect people to follow the law just as i have to follow the law.

if i get caught or busted i have to pay my fines as well. yes we know leftists loathe this country we hear it every single day. i wish they would do what they always promise to do but lie and that is to simply move.

go to canada. go to mexico. just like you guys always say you are going to. leave the rest of us in peace.
The people voted via referendum to restore voting rights to former prison inmates. The legislature didn't want to these people, who likely would vote Democratic, to vote. So, they dreamed up a law to subvert the will of the people and the SCOTUS agreed with them in a split decision.

There is no practical difference between paying fines in order to vote and imposing an unconstitutional poll tax.

My guess is owing money has virtually nothing to do with any of this. IF I were forced to guess.

No, I can’t imagine how myopic that purview is. It must be suffocating most days.
He has been at it for a few years. Half these guys are the internet equivalent of cicadas. Lay in rest for some time, but one day, they end up making so much noise, it is impossible to ignore what their goal is.

Maybe he thinks Bloomberg has a system to make sure they held up their side of a non-existent agreement?

------------------------

Thought had by person at the White House: If you can remember, man, woman, car, camera, TV, you are fit to lead a country and no one has anything to worry about

What are the interest that is in conflict? Who's going to fire Bloomberg?
If Bloomberg wants to spend his own money to get people he doesn't know their voting rights back, there is nothing stopping him.
I guess there is none because he doesnt hold any public offices.

Anyone thinking this was a good idea is an idiot. Let the posts previously define the idiots.

Bloomberg is looking like he is in a lot of trouble.

That’s a poll tax. No one has the right to disenfranchise an American’s right to vote once they are a free citizen.

Nonsense, restitution is a consequence of committing a crime, its a debt to society and often to the victims of said crimes. Part of sentencing is repayment of that.

Michael Bloomberg: Has a team of lawyers standing by to pay whatever fines people on the internet think he will pay for restoring people's right to vote.

Also Michael Bloomberg: Pays fees and restores votes.

Internet Users: Oooooh, he in trouble! Look at my blooooog proving sooooo.

------------------------

Thought had by person at the White House: If you can remember, man, woman, car, camera, TV, you are fit to lead a country and no one has anything to worry about

This is smart.

If Biden wins Florida by a slim margin he will owe it to Bloomberg.

This combined with Bloomberg's ad spend should put Biden over the top:

It's immediately assumed that felons will vote Democrat, and it's true.

This is smart.

So now the dems are depending on criminals to win the vote for them... how appropriate.

This is smart.

Wait, wait, wait. I distinctly remember being told that there was no way to know how much people owed and that's why the requirement to pay all fines, fees, and restitution was unconstitutional. Was this... not true? If it was true, how did Bloomberg figure out how much these people owed?

This is smart.

Great strategy. Only the finest people would vote for Biden.

So child rapists that have been freed on parole should have a voice in our elections?
If they are free, then society is saying they served their time. I have no issue with them having to wait until off parole to vote, but once time is fully served, there is no reason almost any citizen should not be allowed to vote, with the only exception possibly being someone who went to jail specifically for voter fraud or some voting related crime.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

It's immediately assumed that felons will vote Democrat, and it's true.
Its assumption. Do you really believe a racist skinhead would vote for Biden? I guarantee there are some Trump supporters who are felons, who are in prison now or served their time.

This is smart.

Good for Bloomberg for trying to restore rights instead of trying to take them away.A person should have all their rights restored including the right to keep and bear arms once they have completed their sentence(which includes any fines and restitution). Although I have to wonder if he would do this in any solid blue or solid red states that have laws similar to Florida's?

This is smart.

Excellent! He's going to jail.

Excellent! He's going to jail.
Nope. They would have to prove that he conditioned those payments on voting a certain way. Just like you cant go to jail for offering rides to people to the voting place, even if your belief is that those who wouldnt have a ride there would be more likely to vote a certain way.

So long as there is no condition on the payments, he is not guilty of any crime. If you dont agree, state the crime and provide the statute.

This is smart.

Sounds like crony politics to me?

Nope. They would have to prove that he conditioned those payments on voting a certain way. Just like you cant go to jail for offering rides to people to the voting place, even if your belief is that those who wouldnt have a ride there would be more likely to vote a certain way.

So long as there is no condition on the payments, he is not guilty of any crime. If you dont agree, state the crime and provide the statute.

The good news is...we have lawyers and judges just for this special occasion. This is a felony.

How many of these folks will be paying taxes on this gift from Mr Bloomberg?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The good news is...we have lawyers and judges just for this special occasion. This is a felony.
Show the law he broke. Until then, this is nothing more than an opinion, unsupported by facts. Anyone can claim anyone else broke any law until they provide evidence of that law being broken specifically by that person.

How many of these folks will be paying taxes on this gift from Mr Bloomberg?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If it is considered a charity paying off something for you, it is unlikely you have to pay taxes on it.

Awww, so sorry, he is not buying their vote he is buying their right to vote. Ya got Nothing
Have you ever owed someone a favor?

Have you ever owed someone a favor?
Do you owe a charity a favor if they pay off your bills or give you money? Is there some written or verbal agreement that it is conditional (which would be a favor)? If someone offers to watch your kids or drive you to the voting place, is that illegal because now you owe them?

Nonsense, restitution is a consequence of committing a crime, its a debt to society and often to the victims of said crimes. Part of sentencing is repayment of that.

Restitution in the form of money someone is forced to spend just to vote is a poll tax. There is no part of punitive measures that should include stripping the right to vote from a released person. IF they don’t have the money, they should be allowed to vote and repay the debt over time at whatever arrangement makes sense. Denying them the right to vote until an entire sum is paid is disenfranchisment. You are saying someoene wealthy will have the right to vote over someone poor.

I get that this is actually the conservative paradigm for voting but the rest of us think its bullshit.

Back
Top Bottom