• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Biden to release all vaccine doses

Biden has decided he’ll release all COVID doses rather than holding doses back order to guarantee the second dose.

I think this is smart considering the issues getting out the vaccine. Apparently one dose puts you over the 90% effectiveness while the second puts you at 95 or above.

Getting as many people vaccinated as soon as possible is the way to go.
It’s a legitimate strategy - its not like the UK where the plan is to give one dose only.

Helping with logistics is important - right now, we need to get vaccine out ASAP. More is coming. I dont think this will commit anyone to only one dose, only that, in some people, the second dose will be delayed, which is probably (but not definitively) no big deal.
When we start getting into shortages with mass vaccination, they probably will need to hold back some doses, but getting the high risk individuals a first dose should take priority.

I remember reading somewhere that high effectiveness can be achieved after only one dose, after several weeks. I remember there was a big difference in the antibody titers though, so there was concern over whether there would be true infection protection to the same degree as two doses. I'm sorry but I can't find any source to this now.
It’s right in the papers. Full efficacy looks like its acheived in 14 days.

But the question is, do some people lose protection after a while if they dont get a second dose. I’m sure it happens, but how much and how long is the question.

Just for a nice comparison, the UK has drafted in the army logistics people to help the NHS in a quest to vaccinate 2m people a week.

You might have zero clue, but immunologists and epidemiologists and drug researchers have a pretty good idea.

You mean, like immunologists and epidemiologists at the FDA who say was shouldn't do this?

You mean, like immunologists and epidemiologists at the FDA who say was shouldn't do this?
Did they say that? I saw they dont think they should change the EUA to a single dose, but they havent discussed logistics.

No one is preventing anyone from getting a second dose. People will get them. But taking the chance of not maintaining a strict schedule for 100% is ok, especially considering that we know that a good chunk of people just simply will never return for their second dose, because idiocy is an American trait (ref: Wednesday)

Biden has decided he’ll release all COVID doses rather than holding doses back order to guarantee the second dose.

I think this is smart considering the issues getting out the vaccine. Apparently one dose puts you over the 90% effectiveness while the second puts you at 95 or above.

It doesn't seem to address the issues at all, at least not in the near term.

No one is preventing anyone from getting a second dose. People will get them. But taking the chance of not maintaining a strict schedule for 100% is ok, especially considering that we know that a good chunk of people just simply will never return for their second dose, because idiocy is an American trait (ref: Wednesday)

They will be if the second dose is not available when it comes time to get it. If you have a study that confirms equivalent efficacy of the vaccine when the 2nd dose is delay by weeks, if not months, then feel free to link it.

You might have zero clue, but immunologists and epidemiologists and drug researchers have a pretty good idea.

please submit the studies and then explain why we are then receiving two

thanks

please submit the studies and then explain why we are then receiving two

thanks
You’re receiving two because that’s how the studies were designed.

When designed, there were hoping to hit 70% efficacy, snd the lower bound was nearer to 50%. They decided a two dose strategy could get it there.

However, both vaccines have shown to be ridiculously effective, with 95% reductions. The effectiveness, moreover, is complete at two weeks.

A second dose is to primarily boost efficacy snd ensure long term effects, by triggering immune ‘memory’.

We have no direct data, but it’s pretty likely that a single dose may work at an effective level, and we know that delaying a second dose is probably not too problematic... I mean, you’re at full efficacy at two weeks.

Data is clearly needed, but with the new infectious variants, it makes sense to get vaccine into people ASAP, and hopefully the supply will allow everyone to get their second dose on time.

****. This is stupid.

Exactly what we should not be doing.

Apparently they have no studies that show 90% after one dose and the problem is not a vaccine shortage but rather administering organization.

The states are not ready to roll out the quantities they have now never mind double.

This latest move is going to take three to four weeks total, and by that time I suspect the NatGuard will be mobilized for distro.

If mobilizing the Guard would help, why wait 3 to 4 weeks?

Sigh, I'm saying that it will TAKE UP TO that long to get everything mobilized EVERYWHERE in the entire country.
Obviously if you live in a major city, probably sooner.
But if you live in Dogpatch, it might take UP TO 30 days for the local docs and rural clinics to get to everyone everywhere.
Forward looking statements for financial products and investment schemes always go Best Case Scenario, whereas something like this, a forward looking statement goes Worst Case Scenario, hence UP TO 30 days.

After the 1994 Northridge Quake, DOT said it would take UP TO TWO YEARS to fix the broken freeway overpasses but they got done in less than six months.

And by the way, @Tlrmln, if Team Biden screws the pooch on this, you will see me right here, torching him.

True.

If you can’t understand and are unwilling to learn how medicine works on a practical basis, there’s no sense explaining.
We're still waiting for any study that shows what you are saying. Or even a link to one of the vaccine researchers or manufacturers suggesting this practice? Anything? Any evidence at all?

I imagine he will then tout how many people have been dosed and quietly bury how many high risk people remain un vaccinated. Be nice for rich, young healthy people though; they can get dosed and then go party.
No just no.

Release army medics to vaccinate people as well.

We're still waiting for any study that shows what you are saying. Or even a link to one of the vaccine researchers or manufacturers suggesting this practice? Anything? Any evidence at all?
Biden would never say this if he did not clear it with Fauci and other experts first. You need to remember that this is not the one term mistake anymore. He is a real President who actually listens to advice and does what is best for the American people based on their input. In other words he is nothing like Mr. One and done.

Biden would never say this if he did not clear it with Fauci and other experts first. You need to remember that this is not the one term mistake anymore. He is a real President who actually listens to advice and does what is best for the American people based on their input. In other words he is nothing like Mr. One and done.
Which experts ok'd this? Why not let them say it; Biden is not a Dr. or an immunologist. If he can't show us the studies backing up his decision, he can sit and spin for denying science during a pandemic.

Which experts ok'd this? Why not let them say it; Biden is not a Dr. or an immunologist. If he can't show us the studies backing up his decision, he can sit and spin for denying science during a pandemic.

We need to end the Trump death cult as soon as possible. Biden actually cares about saving lives.

The researchers modeled various scenarios, with variables including vaccine supply, protection provided by the first dose and waning efficacy of the first dose if the second dose is delayed. Only in the unlikely worst-case scenario of a collapse in supply and minimal protection among individuals who have received the first dose would the model suggest that withholding 50% of available supply provides better protection.
"We find that under most plausible scenarios, a more balanced approach that withholds fewer doses during early distribution in order to vaccinate more people as soon as possible could substantially increase the benefits of vaccines, while enabling most recipients to receive second doses on schedule," write the study's authors, who were supported by the Canadian Institutes for Health Research and the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/08/politics/biden-vaccine-strategy/index.html

Work around is simple. Just go somewhere else and tell them it's your 1st

There's an Easy enough work around. Go to another site and get a second shot by telling them it's your 1st shot. Not like there's a database for them to check. All you have to do is make sure you get the same brand both times.
There is a database.

What good is that going to do? Just another liberal “if it sounds good it must BE GOOD” palaver. We’re having problems using the vaccine available now what good is releasing more into the pipeling gonna do?

****. This is stupid.

Exactly what we should not be doing.

Apparently they have no studies that show 90% after one dose and the problem is not a vaccine shortage but rather administering organization.

The states are not ready to roll out the quantities they have now never mind double.
A rare agreement between us. IMHO the proper role for the feds is monitor supply and usage and assuring the most distribution across the states.

What good is that going to do? Just another liberal “if it sounds good it must BE GOOD” palaver. We’re having problems using the vaccine available now what good is releasing more into the pipeling gonna do?
I agree, I think this is not going to solve anything.

Back
Top Bottom