• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Biden to release all vaccine doses

iliveonramen

Pontificator
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Liberal

Biden has decided he’ll release all COVID doses rather than holding doses back order to guarantee the second dose.

I think this is smart considering the issues getting out the vaccine. Apparently one dose puts you over the 90% effectiveness while the second puts you at 95 or above.

Getting as many people vaccinated as soon as possible is the way to go.

Sign me up.

Biden has decided he’ll release all COVID doses rather than holding doses back order to guarantee the second dose.

I think this is smart considering the issues getting out the vaccine. Apparently one dose puts you over the 90% effectiveness while the second puts you at 95 or above.

****. This is stupid.

Exactly what we should not be doing.

Apparently they have no studies that show 90% after one dose and the problem is not a vaccine shortage but rather administering organization.

The states are not ready to roll out the quantities they have now never mind double.

****. This is stupid.

Apparently they have no studies that show 90% after one dose and the problem is not a vaccine shortage but rather administering organization.

The states are not ready to roll out the quantities they have now never mind double.
Exactly.

****. This is stupid.

I read an article from a top epidemiologist who has changed his view on this question. Was a few weeks back so hard to find but he said the risks involved of holding half of all doses back is much worse than decreased efficiency of the shot

I imagine he will then tout how many people have been dosed and quietly bury how many high risk people remain un vaccinated. Be nice for rich, young healthy people though; they can get dosed and then go party.

Apparently one dose does not do that, based on zero studies that have said such a thing.

So much for listening to the experts and following the science.

The issues getting the vaccine out so far mainly relate to getting people vaccinated, not having enough doses available. It would have been far more useful for Biden to announce a plan to fix the current bottelneck, rather than ignoring the FDA.

I read an article from a top epidemiologist who has changed his view on this question. Was a few weeks back so hard to find but he said the risks involved of holding half of all doses back is much worse than decreased efficiency of the shot

And he is entitled to his opinion.
Opinion is acceptable in the absence of fact, not in conflict with it. It does not matter what your title is.

But this still does not adress teh real problem we face right now, the states being ill-equipped to get the vaccine in arms.

So much for listening to the experts and following the science.

The issues getting the vaccine out so far mainly relate to getting people vaccinated, not having enough doses available. It would have been far more useful for Biden to announce a plan to fix the current bottelneck, rather than ignoring the FDA.
Some additional reading

And he is entitled to his opinion.
Opinion is acceptable in the absence of fact, not in conflict with it. It does not matter what your title is.

But this still does not adress teh real problem we face right now, the states being ill-equipped to get the vaccine in arms.
Throwing out the length of time to get the actual doses from factory to arm...there are only so many doses able to be created. Is getting 100 million people 95 percent or 200 million 80 to 90 percent a better strategy? We both agree on what’s ideal

I am unable to find research for the 90% claim. If that is true, then this is fine, if the effectiveness is significantly less, then we might have a major problem as people have a tough time getting a second dose

Throwing out the length of time to get the actual doses from factory to arm...there are only so many doses able to be created. Is getting 100 million people 95 percent or 200 million 80 to 90 percent a better strategy? We both agree on what’s ideal

do you not understand me at all?
We have more vaccine right now than we have ability to deliver.

You honestly did not understand my post or is this post just designed to troll me?

What exactly are you asking me? It seems like we go around and around to find out that we agree. That seems like a waste of time.

I am unable to find research for the 90% claim. If that is true, then this is fine, if the effectiveness is significantly less, then we might have a major problem as people have a tough time getting a second dose

we have ZERO clue what may happen when one dose is given and not another for 9 months.
I am very uncomfortable with yet another corner being cut in a mad rush.

There's no evidence that giving someone a single dose will get them to 80 or 90 percent.

In contrast, we do have a massive amount of evidence suggesting that a prior infection confers a great deal of immunity, or at least the info is available if anyone would bother to analyze it, but apparently there's no element of the roll out plan that deprioritizes people with prior infections.

we have ZERO clue what may happen when one dose is given and not another for 9 months.
I am actually deeply worried with this policy as there seems to be no positive model supporting this approach. My advice to Biden is that while I understand the need for urgency, effective action should remain the priority and the logistics should be worked out.

For example, the shot itself seems easy to administer and similar to a medication I take, just inject it into some muscle. People could be trained and certified to do that fairly easily. Hell, I already know how.

There's no evidence that giving someone a single dose will get them to 80 or 90 percent.

In contrast, we do have a massive amount of evidence suggesting that a prior infection confers a great deal of immunity, or at least the info is available if anyone would bother to analyze it, but apparently there's no element of the roll out plan that deprioritizes people with prior infections.

Exactly. The entire rollout needs to be revaluated and then implemented in earnest.

This, right now, is one serious cluster ****.

Over 4,000 a day dying as our leaders play dumb bobble head.

Exactly. The entire rollout needs to be revaluated and then implemented in earnest.

This, right now, is one serious cluster ****.

Over 4,000 a day dying as our leaders play dumb bobble head.

I remember reading somewhere that high effectiveness can be achieved after only one dose, after several weeks. I remember there was a big difference in the antibody titers though, so there was concern over whether there would be true infection protection to the same degree as two doses. I'm sorry but I can't find any source to this now.

I am actually deeply worried with this policy as there seems to be no positive model supporting this approach. My advice to Biden is that while I understand the need for urgency, effective action should remain the priority and the logistics should be worked out.

For example, the shot itself seems easy to administer and similar to a medication I take, just inject it into some muscle. People could be trained and certified to do that fairly easily. Hell, I already know how.
Biden doesn't care. He'll kill people just to boost the number of doses administered. There's a reason that zero states are doing this, even though they could as they are in charge of who gets the vaccine.

Work around is simple. Just go somewhere else and tell them it's your 1st

There's an Easy enough work around. Go to another site and get a second shot by telling them it's your 1st shot. Not like there's a database for them to check. All you have to do is make sure you get the same brand both times.

You might have zero clue, but immunologists and epidemiologists and drug researchers have a pretty good idea.

Back
Top Bottom