• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Bette Midler calls on women to refuse sex to protest Texas abortion law

From the article:

Actress Bette Midler called for women to refuse to have sex to protest Texas’s recently enacted abortion law and suggested that Congress should guarantee abortion rights for women.
“I suggest that all women refuse to have sex with men until they are guaranteed the right to choose by Congress,” Midler tweeted Thursday.

Source: https://thehill.com/blogs/in-the-kn...ls-on-women-to-refuse-sex-amid-texas-abortion

Um, wouldn’t that make “all women” political prostitues?
No. Not at all. On the other hand, for women in Texas, it would be known as 'protecting yourself'

All women are going to refuse men sex because Bette Midler says so? Ya, I don't think so!

So her advice is what the right has said all along - if you don’t want babies then choose abstinence.

And here I thought abstinence wasn't realistic.

I don't mind if women insist I wear extra thick condoms that may have ridges on them. Nice girl friends do in modern times.

And here I thought abstinence wasn't realistic.
Well, if you noticed, it's saying 'say no to men'. Where does her advice address women on women sex? See said 'Stop having sex with men'

Why would women want to risk having sex while there's any possibility that they would be denied access to abortion procedures, and forced to give birth?
It might not be the height of passion driving them to it. It might be the choice of the lesser of two evils. For instance if they were raped at gunpoint by their fathers they might not want to risk having the gun go off by struggling too hard. Texas made sure that those rapist fathers would get to see their grandson/sons since they left no exceptions in the abortion law for rape OR incest.

A fine example of the tone-deaf Hollywood bubble.

Quite a number of women are pro-life. Quite a number of pro-choice women are not stupid enough to blame their own husband for things happening in another state.

Reading over some of Texas' new laws, I have to wonder if they're deliberately discouraging Californians from moving to Texas, with gleeful malice aforethought. :)
I suspect you may have struck upon an interesting point.

From the article:

Actress Bette Midler called for women to refuse to have sex to protest Texas’s recently enacted abortion law and suggested that Congress should guarantee abortion rights for women.
“I suggest that all women refuse to have sex with men until they are guaranteed the right to choose by Congress,” Midler tweeted Thursday.

Source: https://thehill.com/blogs/in-the-kn...ls-on-women-to-refuse-sex-amid-texas-abortion

I'm not married to Bette Midler, so I do not give a shit.

Whatever it takes to beat fascist theocrats.
Fascist theocrats...
Well it was about time that someone started to lie about yet another politician. Guess you were the first to pull that card today.

It might not be the height of passion driving them to it. It might be the choice of the lesser of two evils. For instance if they were raped at gunpoint by their fathers they might not want to risk having the gun go off by struggling too hard. Texas made sure that those rapist fathers would get to see their grandson/sons since they left no exceptions in the abortion law for rape OR incest.
You left out alien abduction/insemination, but you brought the drama.

From the article:

Who cares what Bette Midler says, is she relevant at all anymore?

What do you think of the Texas law?

A thread on Texas, passing another restrictive law, playing to the Trump base, that will be knocked down, as the political stunt that it is.

A thread on Texas, passing another restrictive law, playing to the Trump base, that will be knocked down, as the political stunt that it is.

With the far right members of SCOTUS we can no longer be sure that the law will be knocked down.

So her advice is what the right has said all along - if you don’t want babies then choose abstinence.

Works every time - glad to see she's finally come around to sanity.

Rule of thumb - know a man intimately before you "know" a man intimately.

Minka Disbrow and Baby Jane

Amanda Berry and Jocelin

1631839539942.png

Want to tell this child she has no right to be alive?

Minka Disbrow and Baby Jane

Amanda Berry and Jocelin

Want to tell this child she has no right to be alive?
That is a really fatuous statement and in no way logically derived from what I posted. Of course I would never tell anyone he had no right to be alive. But you knew that. You wanted to bait me into an argument. I am sorry. I do not wish to argue.

I am not sure if this has come up or not but what bette is suggesting is a simpler version of something that has worked.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1975_Icelandic_women's_strike

On 24 October 1975, Icelandic women went on strike for the day to "demonstrate the indispensable work of women for Iceland’s economy and society"[1] and to "protest wage discrepancy and unfair employment practices".[2] It was then publicized domestically as Women's Day Off (Icelandic: Kvennafrídagurinn).[3] Participants, led by women's organizations, did not go to their paid jobs and did not do any housework or child-rearing for the whole day.[1][2] Ninety percent of Iceland's female population participated in the strike.[1] Iceland's parliament passed a law guaranteeing equal pay the following year.[1]

If women withheld their labour, not just sex then something might be achieved.

However we are talking about america where the sheeple have been trained to hate and mistrust each other for generations now. So achieving ninety percent of women working together is a laughable idea.

That is a really fatuous statement and in no way logically derived from what I posted. Of course I would never tell anyone he had no right to be alive. But you knew that. You wanted to bait me into an argument. I am sorry. I do not wish to argue.
No
No bait - just no having it both ways. Either they are humans with a right to live or not.

The people posted in the photo are obviously humans.
and they always were - women don't gestate kittens, or puppies, or pandas, or giraffes, or raccoons .... etc etc etc. They gestate humans. born or not born, they are still human.

and they always were - women don't gestate kittens, or puppies, or pandas, or giraffes, or raccoons .... etc etc etc. They gestate humans. born or not born, they are still human.

Yes, human, but not people. Not until they're born.

In your mind every stage of human development may have the right to live, but that is not currently the law of the land.

Texas is currently depriving women of their federally guaranteed rights.

You appear to be fine with women being denied some of their rights, while arguing facilely about fictitious rights of organisms which are indeed human but have not yet achieved personhood.

George Carlin was telling jokes. This post is telling on you.

Funny how people don't get that. Racists do it too, not only sexists.

I never posted about gestation. Don't start in on me with your abortion baloney. I'm not going to be your punching bag. All I did was to state the obvious. If a father rapes his daughter at gunpoint in Texas today and impregnates her, this atavistic and misogynistic law would force her to bear his child/grandchild. You canot deny it because it is true. I don't need to speak to you anymore.

Back
Top Bottom