• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Bail Fail Stories

Agreed...

That is why I said reasonable by society... average income kind of thing.

Rather idiotic

The ability to post bail or not should not be a factor in releasing someone before trial. It should be based on the likelihood of reoffending or fleeing the area. If likely to do either bail should not be granted.

Yes, how can anyone prove they won't re-offend?
they can't. That is what makes my comment so stupid, and in my opinion, funny. :)
If I was a criminal and had just got out of prison I could do everything they ask and look totally rehabilitated but what's actually stopping me from then going on a crime spree and stealing every football teams trophies and putting them in the trophy cabinet of my favourite team to make it look like they're the best team ever?

By the way that would totally be my crime spree if I was forced to go on one.
/like

Rather idiotic
Are you posts going to get more stupid as we go or is this it?
The ability to post bail or not should not be a factor in releasing someone before trial.
We have not discussed anything about an ability to post bail being a factor or not in releasing someone before a trial.
It should be based on the likelihood of reoffending or fleeing the area. If likely to do either bail should not be granted.
No. It should be based off of the severity of their crime as well as if they are a flight risk or not.

So is the OP arguing that there should be no bail/bond options? Just sit in a jail for a year or so until your trial?
Nobody knows... and then he disappeared.

I sure wish we had some stats on what percentage of people who are arrested are actually innocent/cops got the wrong guy. Then we could better make a moral determination of whether or not its for the betterment of society that we not allow bail for certain tiers of crimes, even if there is a slight chance that an innocent person has to stay in jail.

I sure wish we had some stats on what percentage of people who are arrested are actually innocent/cops got the wrong guy. Then we could better make a moral determination of whether or not its for the betterment of society that we not allow bail for certain tiers of crimes, even if there is a slight chance that an innocent person has to stay in jail.
This would be funny if it wasn't so sad. You probably don't know why.

This would be funny if it wasn't so sad. You probably don't know why.
Sad huh? My post was meant to kinda be facetious. Of course I know we can never really have those stats due to many factors. Many guilty people go free after arrest due to lack of evidence or lack of cooperative witnesses right? And yes I realize that innocent people get arrested and jailed due to mistaken identity, overzealous cops and D.A's etc....but what percentage of arrestees do you think fall into that category? Is it large enough to justify bail so that the innocent arent jailed?

Judge Maryam Ahmad told Barron he could go home by posting a 10% bail deposit of $1,000.

You got 1 person killed, your honor. Time for you to step down.

New York City prosecutor Alvin Bragg defended his office's decision to go easy on a 16-year-old caught on video viciously assaulting a cop who confronted him for not paying the subway fare – the teen's third felony arrest in less than four months.

-skip-

Just three days earlier, the same troubled teen was arrested and released without bail for allegedly beating and robbing a stranger near Madison Avenue on June 21 when he was 15 – a case that Bragg's office is prosecuting.

It's a faux crime story, so I'm guessing that he's not white.

It's a faux crime story, so I'm guessing that he's not white.
A cop was murdered by criminals out on bond for charges of murder.....and all you care about is Race?

A cop was murdered by criminals out on bond for charges of murder.....and all you care about is Race?
No, that's what faux cares about, because it stirs up its viewers and reinforces the belief many of them hold that minorities are likely to be criminals.

No, that's what faux cares about, because it stirs up its viewers and reinforces the belief many of them hold that minorities are likely to be criminals.
Still, YOU are the one who injected race into the discussion. Do you think the OP meant to highlight a particular race with the post? Tell you what....why don't you counter the post with a "bail fail" story of your own from CNN or MSNBC involving a white person accused of murder who was granted bail and then went on to murder people while out on bail. That will make it "even" in your eyes, no? I'll wait........

Still, YOU are the one who injected race into the discussion. Do you think the OP meant to highlight a particular race with the post? Tell you what....why don't you counter the post with a "bail fail" story of your own from CNN or MSNBC involving a white person accused of murder who was granted bail and then went on to murder people while out on bail. That will make it "even" in your eyes, no? I'll wait........
I don't know. I'm talking about faux crime stories. Sometimes you can learn more about what I'm talking about by reading what I'm talking about.

I don't know. I'm talking about faux crime stories. Sometimes you can learn more about what I'm talking about by reading what I'm talking about.
The dead guy's family doesn't think this story is "faux".

The dead guy's family doesn't think this story is "faux".
The network which focuses on crimes committed by minorities in order to reinforce the views of some of its audience is faux.

'faux crime stories'?
Like Smollette? And oh so many others?

Well, you know, when supply can't keep up with demand, innovation (faux crime stories) is the result, isn't it?

'faux crime stories'?
Like Smollette? And oh so many others?

Well, you know, when supply can't keep up with demand, innovation (faux crime stories) is the result, isn't it?
I get the feeling that you know exactly what I'm talking about.

I get the feeling that you know exactly what I'm talking about.
I get the feeling that you know exactly what I'm talking about, but just won't admit it.

I get the feeling that you know exactly what I'm talking about, but just won't admit it.
I'm bored with the "I know you are, but what am I" stuff.

Back
Top Bottom