• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every persons position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Audience loses it over Oprah's final 'Favorite Things'

Orion

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
For those who fear the economic downturn has permanently crushed the U.S. consumer's appetite for consumption - have no fear. The sight of adults crying their eyes out and screaming hysterically over cashmere sweaters and $55 scented candles should reassure you that capitalism is alive and well in the American heartland.

These were the images that greeted viewers of the final edition of Oprah's 'Favorite Things.' The annual frenzy kicked off with Oprah ripping off a decoy dress to reveal a holiday inspired outfit underneath - and it only got more bizarre from there.

While Oprah handed out 3D TVs, five-year memberships to Netflix and diamond watches, her audience, invited for their good deeds, whipped themselves into a delirium that would put the audience at the ancient Colosseum to shame.

The ecstasy reached its climax when Oprah announced that everyone would be receiving a seven day, all-expenses paid trip on the world's largest cruise ship, the Allure of the Seas.

While some may take issue with the message this sort of show sends, you can't deny it makes for unbearably good TV. See what I mean by watching the video below.

Audience loses it over Oprah's final 'Favorite Things' - Yahoo! Canada News
(The pictures in this video say it all).
Am I the only one who finds this somewhat disturbing?

Thorgasm

Bus Driver to Hell
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
And people thought that Jerry Springer was bad. :2razz:

peas_and_corn

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
The fury these people get whipped into about some free things. I remember the audience going nuts because they were told they would all get a free B&N Nook, it was like they put some sort of chemical in the air conditioning.

Kali

Stigmatized! End R Word!
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Liberal
She has been doing it for years. The year she gave the cars away and some said they may have to give em up due to not being able to pay taxes on em? I found disturbing.

It is wonderful she does stuff to help folks but I wish she would have just given em a butt load of cash since this is her final season.

The free stuff mainly trip could cause tax issues for these folks and hopefully she paid the taxes for them so they do not have to worry about it.

While free stuff is wonderful? It does come with tax burdens

Kali

Stigmatized! End R Word!
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Liberal
The fury these people get whipped into about some free things. I remember the audience going nuts because they were told they would all get a free B&N Nook, it was like they put some sort of chemical in the air conditioning.
Keep in mind that she selects these people for this special show as she wants to give free items to people who she feels deserves it and some of these people may not have much.

I would jump up and do a little jig if I got something free like that.

peas_and_corn

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
Yeah, but 'dance a jig' is a long way away from screaming, crying, jumping up and down, and generally behaving like a maniac.

Kali

Stigmatized! End R Word!
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Liberal
Yeah, but 'dance a jig' is a long way away from screaming, crying, jumping up and down, and generally behaving like a maniac.
True but that room was charged and I woulda been up out of seat with joy and happiness over my freebies:2razz:

RightinNYC

Girthless
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
She has been doing it for years. The year she gave the cars away and some said they may have to give em up due to not being able to pay taxes on em? I found disturbing.

It is wonderful she does stuff to help folks but I wish she would have just given em a butt load of cash since this is her final season.

The free stuff mainly trip could cause tax issues for these folks and hopefully she paid the taxes for them so they do not have to worry about it.

While free stuff is wonderful? It does come with tax burdens
Yes, but cash isn't sponsored by Netflix, Yankee Candle, or Honda.

justabubba

long standing member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Am I the only one who finds this somewhat disturbing?
what i find disturbing is folks who get upset about the ways others spend their own money

what's it to you?

Kali

Stigmatized! End R Word!
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Liberal
Yes, but cash isn't sponsored by Netflix, Yankee Candle, or Honda.
True but lets not act as if she is not doing a good thing, ok? :)

spud_meister

Veni, vidi, dormivi!
Dungeon Master
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
what i find disturbing is folks who get upset about the ways others spend their own money

what's it to you?
Was it the freebies or the people reaction to them that he found disturbing?

RightinNYC

Girthless
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
True but lets not act as if she is not doing a good thing, ok? :)
What I was getting at is that the reason she gives out candles, netflix and cars instead of cash is because when she gives out those services and products, those companies either provide them for free or sell them to her at a substantial discount. If she were simply giving out cash, she would have to pay for the whole thing herself.

Harshaw

Filmmaker ● Lawyer ● Patriot
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
I would find it more disturbing if people didn't want stuff. Because people wanting stuff is the primary driver behind progress.

Kali

Stigmatized! End R Word!
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Liberal
What I was getting at is that the reason she gives out candles, netflix and cars instead of cash is because when she gives out those services and products, those companies either provide them for free or sell them to her at a substantial discount. If she were simply giving out cash, she would have to pay for the whole thing herself.
I knew what you were getting at and agree. But all in all? She is still doing a good thing, right?

Aunt Spiker

Cheese
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
Oprah's a modern day Marie Antoinette - no sense of reality, no restraint.

She's the vomitous epitome of what's wrong with the world these days - and all her efforts have actually done *no one* any legitimate or long lasting good.

Barbbtx

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
I knew what you were getting at and agree. But all in all? She is still doing a good thing, right?
That was some GOOD free stuff. I think anyone would have been excited.
I'm not an Oprah fan, but she is the most generous person I can think of.

peas_and_corn

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal

She's the vomitous epitome of what's wrong with the world these days - and all her efforts have actually done *no one* any legitimate or long lasting good.
What about the work her charity does? I haven't looked into it much personally so I'm of no strong opinion on it.

other

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Maybe then she'd be sponsored by the fed :)

Barbbtx

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative

She's gives jobs to people and I hear she treats them VERY well.
Yea, probably all the give-a-ways don't do much in the long run, but still pretty generous.
and she's built at least one girls school in Africa.
Hmmm.... what am I doing? I really don't much care for her.

Aunt Spiker

Cheese
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
She's gives jobs to people and I hear she treats them VERY well.
Yea, probably all the give-a-ways don't do much in the long run, but still pretty generous.
and she's built at least one girls school in Africa.
Hmmm.... what am I doing? I really don't much care for her.
The girl's school in Africa is the only thing worthwhile that she's tried to do - unfortunately - one school being seeded doesn't net a notable change.

Aunt Spiker

Cheese
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
It sure makes a difference for the students at that school.
She's a hypocrite.

She was 'saddened' by the 'material-possessions' desires of the poor blacks in the USA . . . and chose to 'help' African girls (the 'help' of which is in great debate - the parents of the children at the school (which is a boarding school - not a public school) have been in debate over suing her for various issues) . . . yet she turns around and feeds the very 'sad material-possessions-hungry' attitude that drove her away from helping the US in the first place - not to forget that she is encouraging this same 'sad-mindset' over owning 'the best things' on these young girls at the Academy (as well as all other pining 'fans' she's 'helped') by lavishing heaps of expensive crap on them like play-things.

I don't see her 'helping' so much as I see her just ****ing with everyone's heads and stroking everyone's egos to make herself feel good.

She's like Mary Cassatt - but instead of fulfilling her mothering needs by painting she's just using human being as dress up dolls.

Last edited:

Kali

Stigmatized! End R Word!
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Liberal

I am sure the folks who lives she has changed would totally disagree

Top Bottom