• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Army general gets into Twitter feud

/// I don't think this is appropriate behavior. /// <---- Translation: EMNofSeattle doesn't believe in the Freedom of Speech/ aka...The First Amendment.
Correction he is 100% for the 1st as long as you say stuff he likes but if someone said or did something he disapproves of...

Are these standards of conduct somewhere we can see them?
UCMJ fully applies to all areas of your life, while wearing the uniform. Many things can apply here.

FORT BENNING, Ga. (Feb. 9, 2012) -- Soldiers who use social media must abide by the terms outlined in the Uniform Code of Military Justice.

"Commenting, posting or linking to material that violates the UCMJ or basic rules of Soldier conduct is prohibited," said Staff Sgt. Dale Sweetnam of the Online and Social Media Division, Office of the Chief of Public Affairs. "Talking negatively about supervisors or releasing sensitive information is punishable under the UCMJ. It's never appropriate to be disrespectful of superior officers or NCOs (noncommissioned officers), no matter if you're in the company area or posting to Facebook at your desk at home."

Five articles in the UCMJ deal specifically different aspects of inappropriate behavior in public. They are Articles 88, 89, 91, 133 and 134.

"It is important that all Soldiers know that once they log on to a social media platform, they still represent the Army," Sweetnam said. "The best way to think about it is, if you wouldn't say it in formation or to your leader's face, don't say it online."

The specified articles cover contempt toward officials, disrespect toward superiors, insubordinate conduct toward superiors and
conduct unbecoming of an officer and a gentleman.

/// I don't think this is appropriate behavior. /// <---- Translation: EMNofSeattle doesn't believe in the Freedom of Speech/ aka...The First Amendment.
Employees in the private sector don't get to mouth off on Twitter and Facebook without risking losing their jobs.

Why should public sector be different.

UCMJ fully applies to all areas of your life, while wearing the uniform. Many things can apply here.

FORT BENNING, Ga. (Feb. 9, 2012) -- Soldiers who use social media must abide by the terms outlined in the Uniform Code of Military Justice.

"Commenting, posting or linking to material that violates the UCMJ or basic rules of Soldier conduct is prohibited," said Staff Sgt. Dale Sweetnam of the Online and Social Media Division, Office of the Chief of Public Affairs. "Talking negatively about supervisors or releasing sensitive information is punishable under the UCMJ. It's never appropriate to be disrespectful of superior officers or NCOs (noncommissioned officers), no matter if you're in the company area or posting to Facebook at your desk at home."

Five articles in the UCMJ deal specifically different aspects of inappropriate behavior in public. They are Articles 88, 89, 91, 133 and 134.

"It is important that all Soldiers know that once they log on to a social media platform, they still represent the Army," Sweetnam said. "The best way to think about it is, if you wouldn't say it in formation or to your leader's face, don't say it online."

The specified articles cover contempt toward officials, disrespect toward superiors, insubordinate conduct toward superiors and
conduct unbecoming of an officer and a gentleman.
Looks like he didn't violate any aspects of the UCMJ.

No it isn't. His use of that type of rhetoric reflects poorly on him because it's ****ing dumb. I'd like to think we don't have such idiotic people in those types of positions.

Nah, what’s ****ing dumb is conservatives being outraged over being called out on what they are.

This looks like it's on his personal Twitter and not an official military social media site. Don't see a problem with it.

Wrong.

You never went there like he did in public back when I was still in uniform. You don't attack civilians in public as a serviceman.

I have no idea what is changing in today's military, but he would have had his ass ripped 25 years ago.

Whether he's right or wrong has no bearing.

Looks like he didn't violate any aspects of the UCMJ.
“Conduct unbecoming” is as broad as “high crimes and misdemeanors” is.

Nah, what’s ****ing dumb is conservatives being outraged over being called out on what they are.
Rofl...it's telling you think one of the most intellectually lazy comments ever to exist has validity. How ****ing dumb is your post?

At one point a tweeter asks general Donahue how many wars he’s won, resulting in Donahue calling him a “Putin shill”

I think this is part of a disturbing Trend of an increasingly left politicized military. I

Is opposing Putin a position solely of the left, now? Does the right in this nation embrace him?

Flynn didn't suddenly become idiotic the day he retired.
Doesn't matter if you don't have someone to reference. Your statement is baseless supposition.

I read it. Nothing applies to calling a twit a twit on Twitter.
I ****ing put it in bold. How long will you stick to such transparent dishonesty?

Is it appropriate for a military general to get into Twitter feuds with members of the public?

So this general makes a tweet about young people should be vaccinated against coronavirus. Fair enough, some critics come into his Twitter and point out that very few people of military age have died of Covid 19 and that the lockdowns may have contributed to military veteran suicides.

At one point a tweeter asks general Donahue how many wars he’s won, resulting in Donahue calling him a “Putin shill”

I think this is part of a disturbing Trend of an increasingly left politicized military. It’s like several months ago when Tucker got slammed for an opinion that’s not that extreme and that really had no reason to involve command staff.

Now we have two star generals calling people “Putin Shills” on Twitter.

I don’t think this is appopriate behavior.
Not even ****ing close to the shit Trump was saying on Twitter before he was banned. You complain about that too? Or is it just bad because some general said people should get vaccinated?

lol

Obama knew there were problems with him when he served.
Then we have these gems.
A letter released Monday by the Trump-Pence campaign was signed by eight four-star generals or admirals, 42 three-star generals or admirals and at least one Medal of Honor recipient: retired Marine Maj. Gen. Jim Livingston.

Rofl...it's telling you think one of the most intellectually lazy comments ever to exist has validity. How ****ing dumb is your post?

Oh look, another conservative sobbing because he doesn’t want to face the reality. Yawn.

Back
Top Bottom