• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Army general gets into Twitter feud

EMNofSeattle

No Russian ever called me deplorable
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
Is it appropriate for a military general to get into Twitter feuds with members of the public?

So this general makes a tweet about young people should be vaccinated against coronavirus. Fair enough, some critics come into his Twitter and point out that very few people of military age have died of Covid 19 and that the lockdowns may have contributed to military veteran suicides.

At one point a tweeter asks general Donahue how many wars he’s won, resulting in Donahue calling him a “Putin shill”

I think this is part of a disturbing Trend of an increasingly left politicized military. It’s like several months ago when Tucker got slammed for an opinion that’s not that extreme and that really had no reason to involve command staff.

Now we have two star generals calling people “Putin Shills” on Twitter.

I don’t think this is appopriate behavior.

/// I don't think this is appropriate behavior. /// <---- Translation: EMNofSeattle doesn't believe in the Freedom of Speech/ aka...The First Amendment.

/// I don't think this is appropriate behavior. /// <---- Translation: EMNofSeattle doesn't believe in the Freedom of Speech/ aka...The First Amendment.
I didn’t say he should be prosecuted. Although I think a commissioned military officer does not have full freedom of speech. I think officers are actually banned from publicly expressing contempt for the president under the UCMJ but that’s not relevant here

In any event it is not a freedom of speech issue, this is an issue of propriety

I didn’t say he should be prosecuted. Although I think a commissioned military officer does not have full freedom of speech. I think officers are actually banned from publicly expressing contempt for the president under the UCMJ but that’s not relevant here

In any event it is not a freedom of speech issue, this is an issue of propriety
No, EMN. It is a "freedom of expression issue", and you clearly 'expressed' this man's right to freedom of speech should be restricted, as 'you' have personally deemed it to be 'inappropriate.'. It's in your OP in black and white for all to see. You don't like the fact he his exercised his 1A 'right' to refer to someone as a "Putin's shill." That falls into the "tough titties" category.

This looks like it's on his personal Twitter and not an official military social media site. Don't see a problem with it.

This looks like it's on his personal Twitter and not an official military social media site. Don't see a problem with it.
I don’t really think that matters. His profile picture shows him in uniform, the Twitter identifies his rank in the position within the military, and he makes military related announcements on Twitter.

I don’t really think that matters. His profile picture shows him in uniform, the Twitter identifies his rank in the position within the military, and he makes military related announcements on Twitter.
All of which are protected by his 1A rights.

Is it appropriate for a military general to get into Twitter feuds with members of the public?

So this general makes a tweet about young people should be vaccinated against coronavirus. Fair enough, some critics come into his Twitter and point out that very few people of military age have died of Covid 19 and that the lockdowns may have contributed to military veteran suicides.

At one point a tweeter asks general Donahue how many wars he’s won, resulting in Donahue calling him a “Putin shill”

I think this is part of a disturbing Trend of an increasingly left politicized military. It’s like several months ago when Tucker got slammed for an opinion that’s not that extreme and that really had no reason to involve command staff.

I have to point out the irony of your source being RT. That aside, no, a general shouldn't getting into flame wars on Twitter.

Worried you'll be the next one called out?
No, it would improve my standing in right wing Twitter If I was called out by a senior official

I have to point out the irony of your source being RT. That aside, no, a general shouldn't getting into flame wars on Twitter.
The whole Twitter thread is on Twitter. American media isn’t reporting

It is more than a little ironic that you're posting links from Russian state-owned media while complaining about people being called "Putin shills".

There is actually a problem as in the military you're on the clock 24/7 and your personal conduct actually is regulated, even in your personal time. Service Members actually have much more limited freedom of speech and association than civilians.

All of which are protected by his 1A rights.
Incorrect. Service Members do not have full 1A rights, which includes conduct on social media.

”Common sense has become an uncommon virtue”

Apologies for mangling the USMC quote.

Military and social media are not compatible, imo.

There is actually a problem as in the military you're on the clock 24/7 and your personal conduct actually is regulated, even in your personal time. Service Members actually have much more limited freedom of speech and association than civilians.
But they can have personal social media accounts it seems.

Trump cultists throwing tantrums because they are called out as the Putin shills they are is really rather amusing.

But they can have personal social media accounts it seems.
Correct, but their conduct is limited. It's even moreso with officers.

Trump cultists throwing tantrums because they are called out as the Putin shills they are is really rather amusing.
No it isn't. His use of that type of rhetoric reflects poorly on him because it's ****ing dumb. I'd like to think we don't have such idiotic people in those types of positions.

Correct, but their conduct is limited. It's even moreso with officers.
Are these standards of conduct somewhere we can see them?

No it isn't. His use of that type of rhetoric reflects poorly on him because it's ****ing dumb. I'd like to think we don't have such idiotic people in those types of positions.
General Flynn.

Back
Top Bottom