• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Are There Any Conservatives Here Who Accept the Science of Climate Change?

Winston

Give me convenience or give me death
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
Well?

:2wave:

Accept the science? Yes

Accept the scaremongering predictions that time and time again have been inaccurate? No

So, you just don't think it's a big deal if we break the 2 degree celsius benchmark?

X you accept the science but, dispute that it's from co2 emissions? Or, you dispute nothing and accept it all?

Lol, I didn't read your entire thread title when I posted. I'm definitely not convinced. I take back my wave.

No. They are all deniers. Some of them may accept that we spew billions of tons of CO2 in the atmosphere *every year*, but they will not publicly accept that all that CO2 has any effect whatsoever to the climate, when they know already that it does.

That's the core of Conservatism: Hypocrisy.

No. They are all deniers. Some of them may accept that we spew billions of tons of CO2 in the atmosphere *every year*, but they will not publicly accept that all that CO2 has any effect whatsoever to the climate, when they know already that it does.

That's the core of Conservatism: Hypocrisy.

Ahem, no. I believe that climate change exists, and that we have to take action to fight against it. And get this? I'm a conservative who votes republican. Crazy, right?

Well?

What, exactly, is "the science" that folks are being asked to accept here?

Many say that "the science" requires global income redistribution by accepting the Paris "deal" - is that "the case"?

Ahem, no. I believe that climate change exists, and that we have to take action to fight against it. And get this? I'm a conservative who votes republican. Crazy, right?

Not crazy.

Irrational.

Your Party leaders deny they have to do anything about climate change even if we live in a country with 5% of the population and more than 25% of emissions. (the stats may have changed in the past few years)

The problem with Conservatives is that they are paid off pieces of human sewage... They didn't want to pay for Sandy (ask both the Texas Senators) and now they want us all to pay for Harvey and Irma because they hit mostly Republical voter States :)

How convenient!

What, exactly, is "the science" that folks are being asked to accept here?

Many say that "the science" requires global income redistribution by accepting the Paris "deal" - is that "the case"?

From man's greenhouse gas emmissions he contributes an insulating effect on the climate. This will lead to warmer temperatures and warmer oceans leads to higher sea levels which will displace millions.

From man's greenhouse gas emmissions he contributes an insulating effect on the climate. This will lead to warmer temperatures and warmer oceans leads to higher sea levels which will displace millions.

OK, I can accept that. I can also accept that quadrupling of the world's population (from 2.5B to 10B) in 150 years is primarily responsible for that "contribution".

Help them, Obi-Wan Kenobi. You're their only hope.

2016Poster6.jpg

2016Poster6.jpg

Because the perception is that science is now too corrupt to trust.

There are very good reasons to think in that direction.

I agree that that will happen, especially after this year's hurricane season. What I don't agree with is how much of an impact we have made. I highly doubt that a species that has been generating the limited amount of power that we have been for about 130+ years has had any drastic effects on the climate. What climate has had effects on is where we like to live! The short-sidedness of the equation, and that money will stop this is so out of touch that the Global Warming agenda has become quite conservative in theory. We don't want to be displaced, we don't want the climate to change. So we have to do everything in our power to stop generating so much power and pollution. Then and only then will nature listen to us.

We have to step out of that mindset and realize that nature has never listened to us! Global Warming is only scary if you care about the destruction of your own species, it doesn't matter to the rest of the world which is inhabited by millions of different species. Some of which have survived many mass extinction events. So while you can shut off every electronic device ever, that still won't stop the climate from changing. Even the most adamant Climate Scientists agrees with that. Though, they overblow our impact since they are only looking at the past 100 years for their studies/research. For scope, the impact we have had is really small compared to most of the climatic shifts Earth has gone through in the past 4 Billion years.

I accept the science of global warming for the most part(I'm sticking with the term global warming and not climate change, because climate change is stupid, the climate is always changing) .... though I'm open to the point that global warming is overblown or that our modeling and projections are imperfect, and I certainly see the politics getting involved in the science(that's the part I don't don't like)...

But regardless of all of that, the biggest deal I have with the whole global warming deal, is the completely unrealistic and unpractical expectations to "fight" it. You will never convince all the countries in the world to not burn all the oil in the world, and if you somehow manage to accomplish the impossible, you would be responsible for killing millions of people that rely on cheap fossil fuels for their own survival in the third world.

The ONLY solution to stop fossil fuel burning, is to find a cheaper-cleaner alternative. There is no other way. ALL this money, ALL this effort to drop a countries car emissions by like 10%... does absolutely nothing.

In their own models, to even stop making the effects of global warming increase, the whole world would have to cut it's fossil fuel burning by HALF! Which isn't even something that is being proposed by the most bold climate change policy makers. And if we stopped ALLLL forms of oil burning around the world RIGHT NOW, it would take a 1000 years to return to normal.... according to "the models".

And unfortunately, we aren't very close to finding an alternative yet. Electric cars are complete bull****, the batteries are 4X the size of a regular car battery and battery production is among the most toxic processes of making a car. And most the time, the electricity used to charge the car is from burning coal.

If you really cared about the environment, invest your money and time in something else other than global warming.... seriously, it would do more good. Give it to the national parks, environmental clean-up crews, environmental protection lobbying, mining runoff, rain-forest destruction, saving the ocean from overfishing, in science for alternative energy or more efficient farming practices. All these things are 1000000X more effective than gathering a bunch of rich corrupt politicians flying in on private jets from the UN to discuss who has to "promise" to reduce their car emissions by whatever percent over the next 50 years.

GLobal warming is a waiting game of technology.... and frankly, the technology will come faster the more oil we burn... because then it will become more and more expensive and as it runs out, increasing it's worldwide incentive for an alternative.

2016Poster6.jpg

I see it as being the other way around - since the perfect solution is global income redistribution then you carefully define (politically frame?) all problems as needing that solution.

2016Poster6.jpg

I would imagine conservative reservation stem from the fact most proposed solutions are "tax and regulate". Climate change may be a scientific issue, but the "solutions" are anything but.

Well?

Here is a response I have crafted that should give you an idea of the major issue behind the debate. And yes...it is cynical.

How much money do I need to donate to democrats to save us from global warming?

Yes. I believe in climate change. There is plenty of evidence for it. And evidence on other planets. Major earthquakes and volcanic eruptions. I would even go so far as to say excessive human population in some areas that use too much water snd cause drought. Which can impact climate of certain regions over enough time and size.

What you won't see me do is ignore that the democrat politicians and the scientists behind the push for the research and green tech and government grants...are all seeing big old dollar signs and job security. And greed does funny things to people. Can you acknowledge that issue with climate change in so far as the political debate is concerned?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not crazy.

Irrational.

Your Party leaders deny they have to do anything about climate change even if we live in a country with 5% of the population and more than 25% of emissions. (the stats may have changed in the past few years)

The problem with Conservatives is that they are paid off pieces of human sewage... They didn't want to pay for Sandy (ask both the Texas Senators) and now they want us all to pay for Harvey and Irma because they hit mostly Republical voter States :)

How convenient!

Well.. talk about taking a discussion from 1 to 11 real ****ing quick.

Not to mention you just try to cover everyone from a single political point of view in a one brush stroke, when the truth couldn't be further away.

Well?

I accept that climate change is real. Its been going on for billions years regardless of how minute or severe those changes in the climate are.Its how we go in and out of ice ages. What I don't accept is the idea that a 100 or 200 parts per million increase in our CO2 is going to send us up **** creek without a paddle. Thats almost like someone taking a drop of food coloring to a swimming pool of water and saying its going to change the color of the water. I also find it laughable that we can determine what is and isn't man made climate change based on what is practically a drop in the bucket compared to all the other billions of years of climate change.

Fight it by doing what ? Mankinds contribution to our atmosphere via extra CO2 is at most 0.01%. Why would attempting to change that tiny fraction at enormous human and financial cost make the slightest difference to anything ?

Back
Top Bottom