• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Approaching situations while armed

Let me give everyone another scenario here:

You're having a late meal at some fast food place and notice a couple of guys get up and follow a woman out the door. It doesn't look like the woman knows the guys are behind her but it's obvious that they have an eye on her. This is in an urban area so it's not likely that she has a car parked right outside. It's night and there isn't a lot of traffic (either pedestrian or automobile).

Do you step outside for a look? If it looks like they are following her do you follow them?
If I think she is in imminent danger you bet. I've spoken about the three times I've had to "declare" in my life, one of them involved a woman I was friends with at the time. She was working at a local pool hall/bar, and these thug wannabes were harassing her, she asked me to stay until they left........ended up being at closing time.

I noticed a red flag behavior from the "gentlemen", they had an open car door and the offender had his eyes glued to said friend waiting for her to step outside. Needless to say I ran him off with the old "put the firearm on the dashboard and hit it with dome lights" trick.

Having interacted with 100's of CCWers, I'd have to say Auntie that that has NOT been my experience. Granted, you'll have a few --- mostly young or inexperienced males --- who have a bit of an ego issue with carrying, but most people who CCW already KNOW that they do NOT want to pull that trigger if they can avoid it. Personally I think CCW is as likely to make someone MORE cautious as it is to make them more reckless. Depends on the personality and character of the individual.
Agreed. I'd much rather use non-lethal force than have to kill someone. It's not even about the legal ramifications or the paperwork. It's about being able to sleep at night. I still feel bad here and there about having to shoot a damn dog six years ago. Pretty sure ot would be a lot worse if that dog was a person.

Unless there's a clear and present threat to life, limb, or eyesight, I don't get involved.

these things are hard to predict ... I can think of times in my life where I intervened and should not have, and others when I did not, and still wnder if I should have ... I've been scared in situations that surprised me that I was scared and others that I should've been scared, but wasn't ... I just don't like having guns within reach, too readily accessible in public ... In your home, I understand that much better, even though I've never owned a gun and have no plans to ... but if you have the right to carry, you have the right ...

When I lived in Philadelphia I was the victim of 3 vehicle break-ins. One night I was outside smoking a cigarette (I have since quit) when I saw 3 or 4 less than reputable looking fellows (it was dark so I couldn't tell their race) walking back and forth across the street for about 5 min. It appeared to me that they were looking for valuables in cars. I called the police and kept a eye on them until they arrived. If one of them had decided to confront me I may have found myself in the same situation as Zimmerman. So yes I "profiled", yes I was armed, no one was hurt, and yes I would have defended myself if one of them had jumped me. Did the fact that I was armed make me act any differently? No.

You shouldn't have gotten out of your house to stalk these crooks. That's how people get killed. ;)

You're having a late meal at some fast food place and notice a couple of guys get up and follow a woman out the door. It doesn't look like the woman knows the guys are behind her but it's obvious that they have an eye on her. This is in an urban area so it's not likely that she has a car parked right outside. It's night and there isn't a lot of traffic (either pedestrian or automobile).

Do you step outside for a look? If it looks like they are following her do you follow them?

Of course not, that would be racist. Let the police handle it. :roll:

these things are hard to predict ... I can think of times in my life where I intervened and should not have, and others when I did not, and still wnder if I should have ... I've been scared in situations that surprised me that I was scared and others that I should've been scared, but wasn't ... I just don't like having guns within reach, too readily accessible in public ... In your home, I understand that much better, even though I've never owned a gun and have no plans to ... but if you have the right to carry, you have the right ...
It's a lot harder than you think to squeeze a trigger on a loaded gun if you fully respect the consequences. It's something you live with for the rest of your life, regardless of whether you were right or wrong.

That one is difficult to say. For all anyone knows, they could be walking her home and she just has a lot of things on her mind, which makes her appear unaware of what the outside party thinks is going on. Playing guardian angel could be bad for everyone involved. Honestly, for something that vague, call the police in advance, and tell them what's going on. You either save the day, or avoid a horribly embarrasing situation.

It's a lot harder than you think to squeeze a trigger on a loaded gun if you fully respect the consequences. It's something you live with for the rest of your life, regardless of whether you were right or wrong.

not at all ... I know it's not easy ... soldiers in battle sometimes have a hard time pulling the trigger, so, no, I understand ... but people also do things when they're scared and people are also emboldened by having a gun ... as I said, hard to predict how we'll behave, and the fewer guns we have readily accessible, the better, I believe ...

not at all ... I know it's not easy ... soldiers in battle sometimes have a hard time pulling the trigger, so, no, I understand ... but people also do things when they're scared and people are also emboldened by having a gun ... as I said, hard to predict how we'll behave, and the fewer guns we have readily accessible, the better, I believe ...

That is utopian thinking, the reality is there are over 300 million guns and more being made and sold every day (Especially with the threat of liberals disarming everyone). Given that reality the only logical think to do is arm yourself for self defense and don't do anything to infringe upon other people's right to defend themselves.

Firearms are necessary, because people are predatory mammals. Many of which prey on other people. The ability to defend oneself is instrumental to the fundamental right to life, and should never be limited or restricted.

That is utopian thinking, the reality is there are over 300 million guns and more being made and sold every day (Especially with the threat of liberals disarming everyone). Given that reality the only logical think to do is arm yourself for self defense and don't do anything to infringe upon other people's right to defend themselves.

no it's not ... it's the expression of a preference and a choice not to be around guns as much as I can ...

Firearms are necessary, because people are predatory mammals. Many of which prey on other people. The ability to defend oneself is instrumental to the fundamental right to life, and should never be limited or restricted.

I didn't say people shouldn't guns, but I disagree that there shouldn't be restrictions/regulation ...

3.5 lbs to 5 lbs, no matter what, I will figure a way to deal with it.

I didn't say people shouldn't guns, but I disagree that there shouldn't be restrictions/regulation ...

Nobody had a problem with me carrying a machine gun for "truth, justice and the American way", but if I want to carry a revolver for my own personal defense, well, that's just an outrage. When I'm on my little rural patch of marsh, I carry an SKS with 20 round detachable box magazine. In some places, something like a Glock or a Sig are more appropriate. Everyone has different needs for their environment. Limiting available firearms and capacities limits their ability to properly defend themselves.

Nobody had a problem with me carrying a machine gun for "truth, justice and the American way", but if I want to carry a revolver for my own personal defense, well, that's just an outrage. When I'm on my little rural patch of marsh, I carry an SKS with 20 round detachable box magazine. In some places, something like a Glock or a Sig are more appropriate. Everyone has different needs for their environment. Limiting available firearms and capacities limits their ability to properly defend themselves.

The National Rifle Manufacturers Association (NRMA) has power beyond its numbers, so you will probably get your way, at least in the short run ... I think it will take more children being killed before there's enough pressure on D.C. to limit magazine size and ownership of certain weapons, and to require universal background checks. Meanwhile, enjoy your little friends ...

The National Rifle Manufacturers Association (NRMA) has power beyond its numbers, so you will probably get your way, at least in the short run ... I think it will take more children being killed before there's enough pressure on D.C. to limit magazine size and ownership of certain weapons, and to require universal background checks. Meanwhile, enjoy your little friends ...

People have been copping out with that dreck for decades. Color me not worried.

People have been copping out with that dreck for decades. Color me not worried.

I don't color anymore, but when I get grandchildren, I suspect I will again ... and when I do, if you're still with us, I'll color you not worried ... haven't seen someone use the word "dreck" in a long, long time ... is it commonly used where you're from? take care ... :shoot ...

As far as 'suspicious' vehicles, with the rash of people leaving their kids and pets locked up while they do whatever, it's not a bad idea to casually check them out, these days.

This is what troubled me originally. Why not just call and report the car to the police? Same car, three nights in a row, not supposed to be there...right? Police investigate this sort of thing all the time, breaks the monotony of a late night patrol. Besides, it's their job and there is no risk to you.

Regarding the parking lots...are you saying YOU"VE been robbed under those circumstances? If so, then I can see your concern. If not...

We've both seen a number of threads raised about "profiling," almost always revolving around it's usage by citizens and police against people who seem likely criminals. I think that people engaged in criminal behaviors also use it, profiling potential "victims." If these people see someone who appears to be concerned, that is a signal making that person a target. The predator response, targeting the weak. Perhaps this is what triggers some of the stories we hear about that led to your concerns?

Regarding the pick-pocketing? That's one of those types of incidents when I would have gotten involved. First photographing the perps, dialing 911 while yelling out to warn the tourists.

I didn't call the cops because parking isn't illegal. There are a number of businesses in my complex so it could have been related to any of them. It was out of the ordinary but based on just one or two nights....it didn't rise to the level of "urgent".

The Bryant Park thing happened well before cell phones and while they got the guys wallet if there was a commotion it's likely that things would have got worse. Frankly, at that point in my life I just shook my head and mumbled "tourists".

I don't color anymore, but when I get grandchildren, I suspect I will again ... and when I do, if you're still with us, I'll color you not worried ... haven't seen someone use the word "dreck" in a long, long time ... is it commonly used where you're from? take care ... :shoot ...

My grandparents were very proper. Regardless of what you believe, firearms are a very important part of American culture. Even with Obama's huge push to ban standard capacity magazines and enforce universal background checks, it didn't happen. It won't happen, because anyone representative who votes for such strong gun control won't be representatives after the following election.

The NRA derives its "power" from its membership and some others who don't want to pay dues. The NRA does what the people WANT IT TO DO. We all know that crime thrives where individuals are not allowed to keep and bear firearms. Like Australia, crime went up drastically after their draconian gun laws took effect.

The NRA derives its "power" from its membership and some others who don't want to pay dues. The NRA does what the people WANT IT TO DO. We all know that crime thrives where individuals are not allowed to keep and bear firearms. Like Australia, crime went up drastically after their draconian gun laws took effect.

so if its members supported universal background checks, the NRMA would too?

http://www.politifact.com/texas/sta...ffingwell-says-polls-show-90-percent-america/

My grandparents were very proper. Regardless of what you believe, firearms are a very important part of American culture. Even with Obama's huge push to ban standard capacity magazines and enforce universal background checks, it didn't happen. It won't happen, because anyone representative who votes for such strong gun control won't be representatives after the following election.

guns are a very important part of our culture, and especially certain parts of our country, especially among certain groups, etc. ... I'm fully aware of that and believe people have the right to bear arms (but I'm strongly opposed to arming bears) ... and you're right, reps are afraid to vote for background checks, but not entirely/solely for the reasons you say ... remember, about 90% of the population wants them and even 74% of NRA members or former members want them too ... Seems the people are not being listened to .... seems many of these reps are the whores of arms manufacturers and dealers ...

Regardless, it's the one thing they're doing that supports the Constitution these days and thus I wholeheartedly support it.

Australian s didn't think it would happen to them.

Back
Top Bottom