• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Approaching situations while armed

Well since you're a big 1911 guy, let me ask you a question... I know someone who wants to get one to try out, they want something decent and functional that DOESN'T cost $1000+.

Any suggestions?

The New Ruger SR1911 5" stainless is going for about $800, but I am unsure about availability.

I use Bud's Gun Shop (www.budsgunshop.com) as a price reference (their price is delivered) and can usually get the same price from the local LGS.

My first was a SW1911 5" stainless, and it is excellent.

Personally, the fit and finish on Ruger and S&W are better than Springfield Armory.

Luther can probably speak to Colts - I stay away from them due to price and past quality.
I have heard that they have made great strides recently in quality.

If he is thinking about carrying in the future, one of the 'Commander" size guns is very good - they are 4 1/4 barrels.

Stay away from barrel length less than 4" unless you are an accomplished 1911 techie, as they can be tricky.

Have I helped you?

Well since you're a big 1911 guy, let me ask you a question... I know someone who wants to get one to try out, they want something decent and functional that DOESN'T cost $1000+.

Any suggestions?

Try a local show. He may be able to get something used in the $700-900 range.

So carrying concealed doesn't make me Bob Munden or Jerry Miculek? That's kind of a letdown:(

Didn't Bob die a year or 2 back?

Ah, 12.10.12.

Huge loss to the gun community - he was an awesome shooter and performer.

Didn't Bob die a year or 2 back?

Ah, 12.10.12.

Huge loss to the gun community - he was an awesome shooter and performer.

He sure was. Guy could do some amazing stuff.

I never got to meet him in person, but he seemed like a nice guy too.

He sure was. Guy could do some amazing stuff.

I never got to meet him in person, but he seemed like a nice guy too.

From what I have read, he was a stellar gunsmith also.

His wife could also shoot very, very well.

Unfortunately, pride sometimes trumps knowledge. Being overconfident has killed lots of people over the years...quite possibly more than have been killed by ignorance.

Which is why I try to pass my knowledge and experience onto others. Not as the be all, end all authority, but as a starting point. If they want to know more, I can tell them more, or I can direct them to a more knowledgeable source.

Glocks are simple and reliable to a point, but I do not care for the grip angle and the excessive grip width.

I have a few SA XDs, and they are dead reliable, fairly priced, and shoot very well.

Dedicated Glock fanatics (hardcore folks) believe that they are perfect, but that is not true.

You are correct about the hubris.
I sort of like Glocks, but I'm too old fashioned for anything without a visible hammer and a manual safety mechanism. The M-9, despite its horrible ergonomics, was actually a pretty good gun. If Beretta made the damned thing with a grip designed for a human hand, I'd already have one in my collection.

Yup, but the Good Lawd knows we gots KnowItAlls all over the place, and not just about guns, and curing them is often a formidable task.
Knuckleheads are everywhere. Usually, if they demonstrate to me that they think they know everything, I put them on the spot and tell them to teach me. I'm trying to help, free of cost, and if I'm wasting their time, there's the godamned door. They either come back or they don't. The ones that do are usually receptive, and just need a swift kick in the ego.

I own most of the modern plastic nines

IMHO the Smith and Wesson is the best. I have a couple of the 900 dollar HK P30s and the slightly cheaper USPs. I shoot in the Glock Leagues frequently and I am a member of the Glock 500 club. Yet the SW is better pointing and the trigger resets faster (which is key for steel shooting and other hyperspeed events). I have played around with the FN plastic striker fired pistols but last year, David Bowie (not the singer but the gun smith) and his boss at TDI noted that the weapons were not yet 100% reliable. when they become so I will get one of those too

The Croatian specials (XD) are well made but they don't fit my hand as well as the Smith

I sort of like Glocks, but I'm too old fashioned for anything without a visible hammer and a manual safety mechanism.

Actually, you grow away from that with experience and time.

I initially was exactly the same - them got my XD9.

I carried it around in the house holstered empty, and the damn thing never dropped the striker (read about that one).

I now have 3, and a Kahr PM .45 is my every day carry.

I actually detail stripped the XD9 (completely down - everything) to understand the mechanics, and it helped tremendously.

I sold my 2 Ruger SA/DA autos (P89 and P90) once I was an XD zealot.

I cannot stand the SA/DA Auto action now.

First chioce = 1911, 2nd choice striker fired.

Revolvers will always be revolvers!

I own most of the modern plastic nines

IMHO the Smith and Wesson is the best. I have a couple of the 900 dollar HK P30s and the slightly cheaper USPs. I shoot in the Glock Leagues frequently and I am a member of the Glock 500 club. Yet the SW is better pointing and the trigger resets faster (which is key for steel shooting and other hyperspeed events). I have played around with the FN plastic striker fired pistols but last year, David Bowie (not the singer but the gun smith) and his boss at TDI noted that the weapons were not yet 100% reliable. when they become so I will get one of those too

The Croatian specials (XD) are well made but they don't fit my hand as well as the Smith

One more Croatian crack like that, and I'm driving south to show you the business end of one of them :mrgreen:

One more Croatian crack like that, and I'm driving south to show you the business end of one of them :mrgreen:

when they were sold as the HSC 2000 or something like that they didn't sell

then SA slapped SA on them and jacked the price up 100 bucks they sold like hot cakes

not a fan of the grip safety--too easy to miss under fast fast conditions

its why many steel challenge shooters pin the grip safety of a 1911 style gun down

when they were sold as the HSC 2000 or something like that they didn't sell

then SA slapped SA on them and jacked the price up 100 bucks they sold like hot cakes

not a fan of the grip safety--too easy to miss under fast fast conditions

its why many steel challenge shooters pin the grip safety of a 1911 style gun down

Yea, yea, I know the history - dayum!

I actually like the grip safety, and had never had a problem on either the XD45 or the XD9 that I have.

Some 1911s can be difficult - I have had to work on a couple over the years.

To each their own!

Yea, yea, I know the history - dayum!

I actually like the grip safety, and had never had a problem on either the XD45 or the XD9 that I have.

Some 1911s can be difficult - I have had to work on a couple over the years.

To each their own!

I just bought a Pro Series 4" 627. I already had all the accessories such as the moonclip tools, moonclips and custom speedloaders since I have a SWPC 327 in 5" my son uses for steel in the open revolver class but the 4" all steel gun will be for the limited division. I haven't decided if the stainless steel clips or the custom speedloaders are faster

I just bought a Pro Series 4" 627. I already had all the accessories such as the moonclip tools, moonclips and custom speedloaders since I have a SWPC 327 in 5" my son uses for steel in the open revolver class but the 4" all steel gun will be for the limited division. I haven't decided if the stainless steel clips or the custom speedloaders are faster

Jerry Miculek is my revolver hero.

His wife and daughter, IIRC, are both excellent in their own right.

Jerry Miculek is my revolver hero.

His wife and daughter, IIRC, are both excellent in their own right.

Yeah, Is his wife Clark's daughter. Clark built my Chevy TEam Challenge 10-22

Yeah, Is his wife Clark's daughter. Clark built my Chevy TEam Challenge 10-22

Yes, I knew that - marriage made in Heaven that was.

What an awesome FIL /SIL combination that is!

Actually, you grow away from that with experience and time.

I initially was exactly the same - them got my XD9.

I carried it around in the house holstered empty, and the damn thing never dropped the striker (read about that one).

I now have 3, and a Kahr PM .45 is my every day carry.

I actually detail stripped the XD9 (completely down - everything) to understand the mechanics, and it helped tremendously.

I sold my 2 Ruger SA/DA autos (P89 and P90) once I was an XD zealot.

I cannot stand the SA/DA Auto action now.

First chioce = 1911, 2nd choice striker fired.

Revolvers will always be revolvers!
My thing is that I was never comfortable carrying with a round in the chamber. Not unless I'm about to fire. I've tried, but it just never sits well with me, even when I'm in a nice controlled environment. It just feels like I have a time bomb on my hip with no way of knowing when it will go off. Never had that feeling with a revolver. It's comfortable for me to carry, and I don't have any worries about it. For me, an auto is a range gun only, which is why I don't have one anymore. Guns are meant to be fired, if it's just sitting around collecting dust, I'm going to sell it to someone who will go out and enjoy it the way it was meant to be enjoyed.

Not en engineer here, but actually the spring is potential energy which is imparted to the hammer.

Lighter hammer = harder strike, heavier hammer = lighter strike.

I also know that all manufacturers build in a safety margin, so to speak, to ensure that parts and assemblies work as required.

I have changed hammer springs for years, but I find that actually heavier springs work better, believe it or not.

Lighter springs result in lighter trigger pulls, but also result in slower hammer movement and slower lock times if the design is of a specific design.

If you are familiar with Jerry Michulek, his insane speed and accuracy is accomplished with heavier springs.

This allows the revolver mechanics to operate at his speeds, and greatly reliability.

After much practice, I find the logic works for me, but obviously at a much slower speed than he has.

I believe that we are pretty much on the same page, but simply debating very small differences that are negligible.

Agreed?

Agreed...

They have at least one I've seen with factory bobbed hammers. Model 36, but it's not listed on their website anymore. I've also seen what looks like a stainless Model 10 with a bob, but it could have easily been a custom job.

My wife has an Airweight with a shaved (bobbed) hammer. It is an outstanding design. I commented earlier it seems to have been discontinued.

My thing is that I was never comfortable carrying with a round in the chamber. Not unless I'm about to fire. I've tried, but it just never sits well with me, even when I'm in a nice controlled environment. It just feels like I have a time bomb on my hip with no way of knowing when it will go off. Never had that feeling with a revolver. It's comfortable for me to carry, and I don't have any worries about it. For me, an auto is a range gun only, which is why I don't have one anymore. Guns are meant to be fired, if it's just sitting around collecting dust, I'm going to sell it to someone who will go out and enjoy it the way it was meant to be enjoyed.

I'm the same way about most autos with a round in the chamber. The hammer pin is ready to strike. I just don't feel comfortable with that. I have them and I understand the speed value, but I feel the same way.

Try a local show. He may be able to get something used in the $700-900 range.

Easy enough to buy if he doesn't need a desirable style new Colt. The Remington 1911 style 45ac is a Colt knockoff, looks good, new in a fitted plastic case well in that price range. Any gunshop that has it in stock. Add a Crimson Trace laser grip. It is a 1911 clone, so will accept basically any Colt 1911 component and aftermarket component including magazines, grips etc. If he doesn't need a true clone and used is ok, there are much cheaper decent ones out there such as Llamas.

There are only a million used Colt 45s for sale in that price range.

Last edited:
My wife has an Airweight with a shaved (bobbed) hammer. It is an outstanding design. I commented earlier it seems to have been discontinued.
I can see why they would discontinue them. With the emphasis now being on shrouded hammers, they would just be wasting money on a third model. Plus, there are plenty of places out there that will professionally bob the hammer. I personally prefer the exposed hammer, but I've long developed a system for eliminating snag on the draw.

I'm the same way about most autos with a round in the chamber. The hammer pin is ready to strike. I just don't feel comfortable with that. I have them and I understand the speed value, but I feel the same way.

I like that, if I have to use it, all I have to do is aim and shoot. I'm familiar enough with the weapon, and have built enough muscle memory, that reloading is a non-issue. It took a lot of trial and error, but I'm happy with where I'm at with all the work I put into it.

Back
Top Bottom