• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Anyone know about Smart tvs?

Good to know. The sound issue was what made me start looking. I rarely watch tv, at least so far, but checked out Rings of Power the other night (on Prime Movies) and the dialogue was so low I had to keep rewinding for the subtitles to figure out what they were saying--and it took having a remote in each hand, one for the Roku and one for the volume, because when the soundtrack or a battle scene came on, it was BLARING JARRING ridiculously loud. I hear the tvs of the man upstairs so he must hear mine --he's hard of hearing, but he sure would hear that. Since he's the landlord, I don't want to disturb him with explosions, trumpets and orcs screaming. It wasn't a very relaxing hour.

I have mild hearing loss in one ear, so even though foreign accents can be hard for me, I'm nowhere near deaf, and I've never heard a tv act so bad. I will stay away from LG, because it sounds like you and I are having the same problem. My son said it might be the channel, they can vary. I suppose I ought to watch something else and see. But no Samsung -- they're highway robbers.

I've had tv's that you can choose the sound to favor dialog on. Try and look for that also.

All the technology around me has completely moved out of my orbit.
Yeah.. It is overwhelming.. I worked in the computer business for 40 years.. And at times I want to throw my remote out the window... Lol..

But that's why I keep harping on Roku.. Very good user friendly interface.. If you don't consider yourself tech advanced.. Then, imo, go with a Roku TV.. Just my opinion..

My favorite is when my tv suggests to me things I should watch. Like it knows me better than I do 😄
We have a Mazda that beeps, boops and yells at us all the time.. Problem is half the time we have no idea what it is yelling at us about... Lol..

3-4 times a year we'll hit the unlock button on the Fob and the car starts.. Again, we have no idea why.. And we can't get it to it again.. Until months later when it will do it again, and we don't know why or how... Lol

Smart my ass... Lol

We have a Mazda that beeps, boops and yells at us all the time.. Problem is half the time we have no idea what it is yelling at us about... Lol..

3-4 times a year we'll hit the unlock button on the Fob and the car starts.. Again, we have no idea why.. And we can't get it to it again.. Until months later when it will do it again, and we don't know why or how... Lol

Smart my ass... Lol
My cousin had an old clunker that started turning on when it rained.

All the technology around me has completely moved out of my orbit.
(((Hugs))) I am becoming a Luddite, and reading some of the posts in this thread is a little overwhelming. I have a Roku thingie (my daughter's), and all I have to do is plug that in and use the Roku remote to watch Netflix. I don't even remember the last time I watched something on Netflix, so I haven't had any practice in a year or so at least.

But speaking of things telling people what to do, DP's grammar checker keeps bugging me about my first-sentence comma. I am correct; it is not. Shut up, software program.

Good to know. The sound issue was what made me start looking. I rarely watch tv, at least so far, but checked out Rings of Power the other night (on Prime Movies) and the dialogue was so low I had to keep rewinding for the subtitles to figure out what they were saying--and it took having a remote in each hand, one for the Roku and one for the volume, because when the soundtrack or a battle scene came on, it was BLARING JARRING ridiculously loud. I hear the tvs of the man upstairs so he must hear mine --he's hard of hearing, but he sure would hear that. Since he's the landlord, I don't want to disturb him with explosions, trumpets and orcs screaming. It wasn't a very relaxing hour.

I have mild hearing loss in one ear, so even though foreign accents can be hard for me, I'm nowhere near deaf, and I've never heard a tv act so bad. I will stay away from LG, because it sounds like you and I are having the same problem. My son said it might be the channel, they can vary. I suppose I ought to watch something else and see. But no Samsung -- they're highway robbers.
I have an older big screen TV and find the sound issue is not a tv volume problem but the digital theatre mode most of the newer movies and tv shows are made in. On older shows, the voices are at the same sound level as the soundtracks and battle/fight scenes. Many of the newer tv models have a sound mode switch under 'settings' called something like theatre, stadium, living room, bedroom, etc that will moderate the blasting difference between dialogue and action scenes. You have to fool around with it to find the one that suits you.

I have el cheapo sceptre brand dumb tvs from Walmart and I mainly use roku sticks.

One of the tvs has crappy sound so I got a $40 sceptre brand sound bar (that doesn’t need a separate remote) and it works fine.

I kind of wish one of them would break or show any problem at all to give me an excuse to upgrade.

I’ve tried Apple TV and firesticks but don’t like them.

I've had TVs that you can choose the sound to favor dialog on. Try and look for that also.

What in the world are you talking about? The complaint is about sound volume during TV shows.

If you have Comcast (or another such cable provider) you’re able to stream all the services such as Netflix, etc without needing a “smart tv”

Do you even need a smart tv?

What in the world are you talking about? The complaint is about sound volume during TV shows.

Yes. Apparently reading and following the conversation is not your thing. Did you not read this in @MaryP 's post?

"Good to know. The sound issue was what made me start looking. I rarely watch tv, at least so far, but checked out Rings of Power the other night (on Prime Movies) and the dialogue was so low I had to keep rewinding for the subtitles to figure out what they were saying--and it took having a remote in each hand, one for the Roku and one for the volume, because when the soundtrack or a battle scene came on, it was BLARING JARRING ridiculously loud. I hear the tvs of the man upstairs so he must hear mine --he's hard of hearing, but he sure would hear that. Since he's the landlord, I don't want to disturb him with explosions, trumpets and orcs screaming. It wasn't a very relaxing hour."

If you have Comcast (or another such cable provider) you’re able to stream all the services such as Netflix, etc without needing a “smart tv”

Do you even need a smart tv?
I do.

I have an older big screen TV and find the sound issue is not a tv volume problem but the digital theatre mode most of the newer movies and tv shows are made in. On older shows, the voices are at the same sound level as the soundtracks and battle/fight scenes. Many of the newer tv models have a sound mode switch under 'settings' called something like theatre, stadium, living room, bedroom, etc that will moderate the blasting difference between dialogue and action scenes. You have to fool around with it to find the one that suits you.
Thank you! My son mentioned that theater mode too. I didn't know there was any way to defeat it.

Thank you! My son mentioned that theater mode too. I didn't know there was any way to defeat it.
My 14 yr old Sanyo doesn't offer a sound adjustment but the newer TVs have it under Menu/Settings/Sound. My friend has a new LG that he put on 'Night Mode' that balanced the sound levels between voice and background. Another setting under sound is called 'Dynamic Range Compression.'
Good luck!

This site explains about adjusting the TV's sound...

This site explains how to set up your smart TV for streaming services...

My 14 yr old Sanyo doesn't offer a sound adjustment but the newer TVs have it under Menu/Settings/Sound. My friend has a new LG that he put on 'Night Mode' that balanced the sound levels between voice and background. Another setting under sound is called 'Dynamic Range Compression.'
Good luck!

This site explains about adjusting the TV's sound...

This site explains how to set up your smart TV for streaming services...

Helpful links, I think. We're still on Directv, and I'm sick of them but dragging my feet on change.

I'm looking at a new tv. I have Roku here in my new home and it's a small, old tv with 2 remotes and lousy sound quality. My question is, as I've been browsing, I am seeing smart tvs that are "Google" tvs or "Android" tvs. My son said it doesn't matter, but I wonder. Anyone have experience with a smart tv other than Roku? Does it really not complicate matters?
No modern TV will have good sound. They all expect you will have some sort of sound system. Build a decent soundbar ($150) into your budget.

I hate my LG smart TV. Unless the volume is 100 (as high as it gets), I can't hear it without my hearing aids. That was never a problem on my Samsung smart TV, which was loud enough for me at 60 without hearing aids. (FYI I am in the moderate-severe range, so for all people with normal hearing, 40 would be loud enough.) My mom did a volume meter test to see how loud it really is at a certain number on the LG TV. The TV volume and decibel levels were not even close. I also can hear a downgrade in the sound quality after having a Samsung smart TV. If you want to do anything with your TV that requires sound (which is 100% of the people who have them) and do not live alone, LG is not the brand you want.
How do the other people in your household or, indeed the neighbors, feel about you blasting your TV at the highest volume possible?

I'm looking at a new tv. I have Roku here in my new home and it's a small, old tv with 2 remotes and lousy sound quality. My question is, as I've been browsing, I am seeing smart tvs that are "Google" tvs or "Android" tvs. My son said it doesn't matter, but I wonder. Anyone have experience with a smart tv other than Roku? Does it really not complicate matters?

TV?

As in a device to decode electronic signals into live action video broadcast through the air...?

No. I'm not much good with that. I used to work in TV, making the shit you watch. It's kind of like working in a sausage factory...after one day you do not want that product. Ever.

You do know that it is addictive, right? And it was invented by a communist? And the airwaves are controlled by satan? And the radiation from a screen will make you sterile? And, oh, it kills brain cells. That's why commericals are so ****ing stupid.....the average emotional age of a viewer is 13, if they have slot cars.

Back
Top Bottom