• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Anyone know about Smart tvs?

MaryP

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
I'm looking at a new tv. I have Roku here in my new home and it's a small, old tv with 2 remotes and lousy sound quality. My question is, as I've been browsing, I am seeing smart tvs that are "Google" tvs or "Android" tvs. My son said it doesn't matter, but I wonder. Anyone have experience with a smart tv other than Roku? Does it really not complicate matters?

I'm looking at a new tv. I have Roku here in my new home and it's a small, old tv with 2 remotes and lousy sound quality. My question is, as I've been browsing, I am seeing smart tvs that are "Google" tvs or "Android" tvs. My son said it doesn't matter, but I wonder. Anyone have experience with a smart tv other than Roku? Does it really not complicate matters?

It doesn't matter... Google created and controls Android...

Just by a LG. I'm pretty sure there is a Roku app on LGs. Along with a gazillion other Apps.

Now, having said that, I like using the latest Firestick on all my TVs (even though they're smart TVs). Think of the Firestick as turning any TV into a smart TV. I have a big old flat screen TV (not smart) I plug a Firestick into the HDMI port and take it tailgating. All I need is an internet connection in the parting lot and I can do that through a hotspot.

The reason I do that is I have less problems with Apps on the Firestick than I do with native Apps on smart TVs.

I know my tv is smarter than I am 🤪

Just by a LG. I'm pretty sure there is a Roku app on LGs. Along with a gazillion other Apps.

Now, having said that, I like using the latest Firestick on all my TVs (even though they're smart TVs). Think of the Firestick as turning any TV into a smart TV. I have a big old flat screen TV (not smart) I plug a Firestick into the HDMI port and take it tailgating. All I need is an internet connection in the parting lot and I can do that through a hotspot.

The reason I do that is I have less problems with Apps on the Firestick than I do with native Apps on smart TVs.
I'm happy with my Samsung but LG's are nice too

Imo Samsung is a great choice for a smart TV.. Virtually every app is available on Samsung.. Plus there's 100s of free live channels..
I'll never give Samsung another penny after an extremely frustrating experience with my Samsung tablet. I require cheap, so have looked at 40" TLC's and last year's models. Most important to me is ONE remote, and good sound with auto voice control. Can't buy til Dec or Jan, so am just browsing now, but I appreciate suggestions. Thx.

It doesn't matter... Google created and controls Android...
But what about using Roku? Is a Roku smart tv simpler than an Android?

But what about using Roku? Is a Roku smart tv simpler than an Android?

Android is just the operating system that apps like Roku run on top of... Just get a smart TV with Roku built in (most have it) and use it just like you always have...

I bought a 55" TCL Roku TV for $249 on a whim (because it was 55" and $249!). While my main TV uses a Fire Cube, and I am used to that, the Roku TCL is pretty good. Has very few buttons but all it needs. Picture is as good as any (I am not a TV aficionado). You can catch great sales on all of them from time to time, even saw the same 55" for $199 a few months later!

I'll never give Samsung another penny after an extremely frustrating experience with my Samsung tablet. I require cheap, so have looked at 40" TLC's and last year's models. Most important to me is ONE remote, and good sound with auto voice control. Can't buy til Dec or Jan, so am just browsing now, but I appreciate suggestions. Thx.
Look at Vizio.. Inexpensive.. And also carry a lot of Apps that can be installed...

Also you seemed like you disregarded Roku TVs... Roku TVs have all streaming Apps in 1 spot with 1 remote..

If you're looking for cheap, I agree with the above - Vizio is the best bang for your buck. You can plug the Google Chromecast into any TV with an HDMI input and get the Android experience, which is far better than Roku IMO. I absolutely love my Google Chromecast that I have plugged into my Roku TV and I have an expensive Sony Bravia with Google TV built in as well.

If you're looking for cheap, I agree with the above - Vizio is the best bang for your buck. You can plug the Google Chromecast into any TV with an HDMI input and get the Android experience, which is far better than Roku IMO. I absolutely love my Google Chromecast that I have plugged into my Roku TV and I have an expensive Sony Bravia with Google TV built in as well.
We have a Sony Bravia in 2 of our bedrooms.. Neither is 'smart' so I have a Roku on 1,and a Fire Stick on the other.. The Sonys are old, but they refuse to die... And I refuse to replace them as long as they are working... Lol

In the living room we have a smart LG.. That's a nice TV too..

Your son is correct.

Roku, Google, Apple...these are all just various smart TV operating systems. They all work fine for letting you subscribe to streaming platforms, whether they are free or paid.

I suggest you focus on the particular TV and the qualities you want...reliability, picture quality, kinds of and number of connection ports, size, etc...whatever operating system the TV you like has will work just fine.

And for what it's worth, I have a firestick plugged into my main LG Smart TV in my living room and I only have to use one remote for everything.

We bought a visio, should have sent it right back. Very poor sound quality, requiring us to add a sound bar. The remote has several streaming apps but we use fire stick.

I've had both in newish TCL flatscreens, and there's not much difference, but I believe the Android is the larger platform for software, so I'd lean towards that for long term compatibility.

I hate my LG smart TV. Unless the volume is 100 (as high as it gets), I can't hear it without my hearing aids. That was never a problem on my Samsung smart TV, which was loud enough for me at 60 without hearing aids. (FYI I am in the moderate-severe range, so for all people with normal hearing, 40 would be loud enough.) My mom did a volume meter test to see how loud it really is at a certain number on the LG TV. The TV volume and decibel levels were not even close. I also can hear a downgrade in the sound quality after having a Samsung smart TV. If you want to do anything with your TV that requires sound (which is 100% of the people who have them) and do not live alone, LG is not the brand you want.

I hate my LG smart TV. Unless the volume is 100 (as high as it gets), I can't hear it without my hearing aids. That was never a problem on my Samsung smart TV, which was loud enough for me at 60 without hearing aids. (FYI I am in the moderate-severe range, so for all people with normal hearing, 40 would be loud enough.) My mom did a volume meter test to see how loud it really is at a certain number on the LG TV. The TV volume and decibel levels were not even close. I also can hear a downgrade in the sound quality after having a Samsung smart TV. If you want to do anything with your TV that requires sound (which is 100% of the people who have them) and do not live alone, LG is not the brand you want.
Good to know. The sound issue was what made me start looking. I rarely watch tv, at least so far, but checked out Rings of Power the other night (on Prime Movies) and the dialogue was so low I had to keep rewinding for the subtitles to figure out what they were saying--and it took having a remote in each hand, one for the Roku and one for the volume, because when the soundtrack or a battle scene came on, it was BLARING JARRING ridiculously loud. I hear the tvs of the man upstairs so he must hear mine --he's hard of hearing, but he sure would hear that. Since he's the landlord, I don't want to disturb him with explosions, trumpets and orcs screaming. It wasn't a very relaxing hour.

I have mild hearing loss in one ear, so even though foreign accents can be hard for me, I'm nowhere near deaf, and I've never heard a tv act so bad. I will stay away from LG, because it sounds like you and I are having the same problem. My son said it might be the channel, they can vary. I suppose I ought to watch something else and see. But no Samsung -- they're highway robbers.

Look at Vizio.. Inexpensive.. And also carry a lot of Apps that can be installed...

Also you seemed like you disregarded Roku TVs... Roku TVs have all streaming Apps in 1 spot with 1 remote..
No, actually I've been looking at Roku smart tvs and wondered if these Google/Android tvs were different. If I can get a deal, I will get a Roku tv; only makes sense, but if a Google tv came in cheaper, just wondered about the difference, which there apparently isn't.

No, actually I've been looking at Roku smart tvs and wondered if these Google/Android tvs were different. If I can get a deal, I will get a Roku tv; only makes sense, but if a Google tv came in cheaper, just wondered about the difference, which there apparently isn't.
Go with the Roku.. Very easy user interface.. And except for Apple they are all based on Google /Android..

BTW the only difference between Google TV and Roku TV will probably be the Google TV will hook up with Google Play.. Roku does not... But Roku has all the streaming Apps you will ever need.. And like I said the Roku interface is very user friendly...

Imo Samsung is a great choice for a smart TV.. Virtually every app is available on Samsung.. Plus there's 100s of free live channels..
When I finally used them, the free channels was far better than what I thought 'free' would get you. They even have some 4K channels. That said, you need a good high speed Internet source to really enjoy it.

When I finally used them, the free channels was far better than what I thought 'free' would get you. They even have some 4K channels. That said, you need a good high speed Internet source to really enjoy it.
Yeah.. True.. You need a good internet.. But it's funny.. I pay for Paramount +.. Which I like and Peacock... But I find myself watching Freevee and Pluto, which are both free, more... Lol

Back
Top Bottom