• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Anti-maskers explain themselves

This is the U.S. in the age of Trump. What masks represent, at the core, is common courtesy, and people who demonstrate it, respect their neighbors and coworkers and those in service jobs by wearing a mask and doing a simple, easy, and we think effective task that protects others are now condemned by the MAGA crew. More to the point, the MAGA crew dismiss the idea of common courtesy, and refuse to extend it. The attitude is F YOU!! I WILL DO WHAT I WANT!!!

It's really unbelievable this is where we are as a country.
Wrong your attitude is FU to anyone who doesnt want to wear a mask. Since you are the germophobe not me, you should sit at home and hide not me. Do you close all swimming pools down because you are afraid of drowning?

Where did I claim Iwas immune? Oh wait, I didn't. Nice Straw man though. OK I'll reciprocate. You can absolutely get sick from eating bad chicken. It's ridiculous to say you cannot.

You said, "Those of us who have not hidden from germs have built up a much higher immunity than germophobes." What matters with COVID, which is what we are discussing, is whether you've built up much higher immunity to COVID. You haven't.

So why do we care about your baseless claim that some undefinable part of the population has built up much higher 'immunity' than some other population you cannot define?

I bought a box of these masks on Amazon. They are way more comfortable to wear, and 100 times easier to breath while wearing. I challenge anyone to tell me how they aren't better than any other mask when it comes to stopping saliva too.

MY BODY MY CHOICE. :cool:

KwFpJoCuZgC1Lo4yV2emjQTuD9LewhrNTIJjCll8pFGdZHemPnid-5rGKYY7c_iGw7OqLmff_2yEGYCkcWlVxG9Gr7sOEDAvkW_8-amCO3Y
I think we should force people to wear eye coverings as well. With all the leftists about to cry in November there is going to be contamination everywhere.

Wrong your attitude is FU to anyone who doesnt want to wear a mask. Since you are the germophobe not me, you should sit at home and hide not me. Do you close all swimming pools down because you are afraid of drowning?

Wearing a mask is easy, painless, nearly costless and we think effective. Why not wear one? All you're doing is demonstrating common courtesy to and respect for your neighbors, and it's too much for you. You demand others bend to your preferences than you just show their neighbors respect by taking a simply, costless, painless action and putting on a damn mask for the 15 minutes they're in the grocery.

Again, it's truly astonishing that's where we are.

I consider masks irritating and unnecessary, but I'll wear one to show some good faith in the authorities.

What I don't understand is why masks are supposed to prevent virus particles from going out but not from coming in. That is, I've heard many times that the mask doesn't protect the mask-wearer but protects others from the mask-wearer.

You said, "Those of us who have not hidden from germs have built up a much higher immunity than germophobes." What matters with COVID, which is what we are discussing, is whether you've built up much higher immunity to COVID. You haven't.

So why do we care about your baseless claim that some undefinable part of the population has built up much higher 'immunity' than some other population you cannot define?
Sure we have. Herd immunity. Its been around since man first walked the earth. Many of us are already infected and have built up resistance which in turn protects more vulnerable people from getting infected by us. But I'm sure your cloth mask with your favorite teams logo is just as effective as eons of human evolution.

Wearing a mask is easy, painless, nearly costless and we think effective. Why not wear one? All you're doing is demonstrating common courtesy to and respect for your neighbors, and it's too much for you. You demand others bend to your preferences than you just show their neighbors respect by taking a simply, costless, painless action and putting on a damn mask for the 15 minutes they're in the grocery.

Again, it's truly astonishing that's where we are.
Why dont you just stay home if you are afraid? Then businesses can open and no one has to buy or wear masks at all. Is there a reason you dont like to be told what to do? Or do you just like to tell others what to do. So again, why are you incapable of staying at home if you are afraid of covid?

Sure we have. Herd immunity. Its been around since man first walked the earth. Many of us are already infected and have built up resistance which in turn protects more vulnerable people from getting infected by us. But I'm sure your cloth mask with your favorite teams logo is just as effective as eons of human evolution.

First of all, you said in the previous post you didn't claim immunity and now you claim you do have immunity. Can you pick one position and stick to it for at least a couple of posts?

And, yes, if you've been infected with COVID, then we think you have built up at least some temporary 'immunity' to a new infection. So you have been infected with COVID? I guess I missed you telling us that you'd tested positive for the COVID 19 virus.....

CV and inaction early on created the situation that required a lockdown.

Trump was the one who encouraged disobedience (and still is). Republicans are regimented enough to not wear masks because some a-hole told them.

Korea has fat people.

Germany has states that control health policy. Merkel could not mandate actions, she had to work with the states to get things done like the Federal Government does here.

If you don’t want more lockdowns why don’t you support wearing masks when it makes the need for more lockdowns less likely? You and Trump are for some misguided reason working against your own interests.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I always wear a mask where I have to. But I refuse to join the morons who wear masks driving in their own cars or walk alone in the parks. These are just two examples of what mindless sheep do.
When I see a doctor, I ask if he wants me to put "this stupid mask" on. All of them said, no, don't bother.

Why dont you just stay home if you are afraid? Then businesses can open and no one has to buy or wear masks at all. Is there a reason you dont like to be told what to do? Or do you just like to tell others what to do. So again, why are you incapable of staying at home if you are afraid of covid?

Why aren't you capable of showing your neighbors respect and common courtesy? It doesn't cost you anything, it's painless, simple, and very temporary - only while indoors around strangers. Too much to ask?

FWIW, I'm not "afraid" but we do avoid big gatherings, unnecessary trips to the store, bank, post office, and when out in public if I see selfish assholes ignoring the local law and not wearing masks while indoors when social distancing isn't possible, I avoid them.

I always wear a mask where I have to. But I refuse to join the morons who wear masks driving in their own cars or walk alone in the parks. These are just two examples of what mindless sheep do.
When I see a doctor, I ask if he wants me to put "this stupid mask" on. All of them said, no, don't bother.

If they're not also wearing a mask, I'd find another set of doctors. I've been to several and the mask mandates are strictly enforced in every office, because the next patient after you might be a person at high risk of ICU or death, or who cares for someone at high risk. That doctor if infected by you, who might have no symptoms but contagious, then serves as a vector to infect those patients. It's highly irresponsible for healthcare providers.

Show me one scientific study - replicated by other scientists - that quantifies the effectiveness of masks we wear. Do not insult me with "masks work". Or, "masks are better than nothing."
I hope that that study will show how masks hurt the wearers by forcing the wearer to inhale his own exhausts, plus very humid CO2. In numbers.

No numbers, don't bother.
If you're that worried about their effectiveness, maybe wear a diaper over your face instead?

It helps to think of masking as being a service for others' peace of mind.

There have been times when I've been walking down a city street late at night and found myself following (inadvertently) a lone woman walking in the same direction. If I'm going to be following her for a while, I'll usually slow down so that she's distancing herself from me. She's in no danger from me, and I shouldn't "have to" keep well back from her, but I know she may otherwise be anxious about a strange man following her on a deserted street at night, and it's just a courteous thing to do.

Masks are in the same boat. If they make any difference at all, I'll wager it's negligible, but they give a lot of people peace of mind. Also, they're not so burdensome as to be something we should resist on principle.

If masks work, you can wear yours and leave the kids alone. Putting a mask on a child is child abuse. Your daughter is right.
Children can have COVID and be asymptomatic. Grandparents have a right to protect themselves from risk. Putting a mask on a child is not child abuse. That's just plain idiotic.

Why don’t you just give up on this nonsense? People have been wearing masks for decades and they aren’t falling over dead from it. On the other hand in country after country and in the US, in state after state or city after city, people stop falling over dead as fast from COVID-19 when mask mandates are put in place.

They’ve even figured this out in one of the brightest red states:

“South Carolina has no statewide mask requirements, leaving 11 jurisdictions with mask mandates and 61 without. The South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control’s latest findings, from mid-August, report that communities with mask mandates saw a drop of 34 cases per 100,000 people for the four weeks after the requirements were implemented, compared to before the orders took effect. In the same period, jurisdictions without mask requirements saw a rise of 24 cases per 100,000 people.

“Our South Carolina mask analysis data shows us what we already knew, wearing face masks works,” Dr. Linda Bell, an epidemiologist at the South Carolina health department, told NBC News in an email.”

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The same thing happened in Kansas. It's been demonstrated repeatedly that masking works. Some people just refuse to accept it. They'd rather bitch and moan and whine while they infect their friends and families.

There have been times when I've been walking down a city street late at night and found myself following (inadvertently) a lone woman walking in the same direction. If I'm going to be following her for a while, I'll usually slow down so that she's distancing herself from me. She's in no danger from me, and I shouldn't "have to" keep well back from her, but I know she may otherwise be anxious about a strange man following her on a deserted street at night, and it's just a courteous thing to do.

Masks are in the same boat. If they make any difference at all, I'll wager it's negligible, but they give a lot of people peace of mind. Also, they're not so burdensome as to be something we should resist on principle.
It would provide more peace of mind and financial stability if those who are afraid of germs simply stay at home. Since they are the ones with the issue why should others have to suffer to placate them?

Why aren't you capable of showing your neighbors respect and common courtesy? It doesn't cost you anything, it's painless, simple, and very temporary - only while indoors around strangers. Too much to ask?

FWIW, I'm not "afraid" but we do avoid big gatherings, unnecessary trips to the store, bank, post office, and when out in public if I see selfish assholes ignoring the local law and not wearing masks while indoors when social distancing isn't possible, I avoid them.
Why aren't you? Your'e the one with the germophobe problem not your neighbor.

First of all, you said in the previous post you didn't claim immunity and now you claim you do have immunity. Can you pick one position and stick to it for at least a couple of posts?

And, yes, if you've been infected with COVID, then we think you have built up at least some temporary 'immunity' to a new infection. So you have been infected with COVID? I guess I missed you telling us that you'd tested positive for the COVID 19 virus.....
Please highlight the line where I state I have immunity. It will be fun seeing where you english teacher failed. I'd look up the word immunity before posting if I were you. I'm trying to help you avoid me making you look uneducated.

Children can have COVID and be asymptomatic. Grandparents have a right to protect themselves from risk. Putting a mask on a child is not child abuse. That's just plain idiotic.
It's more than child abuse. Kids are super active and run around all day long. They need all the oxygen they can get. You have no idea what the long-term consequences of wearing masks are, do you? It's harder to breathe and you breathe bad air - your own exhausts with higher than normal humidity. Did you notice how your glasses fog up from that mask?

If they cough or sneeze, do you change their masks every time or let them inhale their own coughs - something that the body wanted to get rid of? The masked idiots are really annoying in trying to justify their sheepish ignorance without any evidence (in numbers) how effective those cheap masks are other than "masks work. That's a slogan, not science, as science is numbers.

On top of all that, kid's sense that there is danger but don't know what it is and that they are immune. Yes, I said immune because those very few (less than 30 or so) that died had underlying conditions like the one with epilepsy. The fearmongers, of course, claimed that it was the virus that killed that kid. The fact that 600 people die every year in the US from epilepsy went unreported that day.

Grandparents have no right to dump their problems and fears on their grandkids. The only right they have in this respect is to sit home and watch Netflix.

The above was written by a grandpa of four.

A real grandparent would stay the **** home before they made a child breath through a mask.

Well done.

I'm not sure about effectiveness, I expect the difference is more than negligible, but I wear it out of respect for others. The other day I was pre-occupied with a problem and forgot my mask in a grocery for a short trip. I doubt if I put anyone at risk, but when I noticed it I apologized to the clerk checking me out because I respect her - she's working 10-12 hour days seeing hundreds of us come through her line every day. I should do what I can to keep her safe, and a mask is a simple step.

A real grandparent would stay the **** home before they made a child breath through a mask.
His daughter wanted to bring her unmasked children into his home. Endangering vulnerable seniors is okay in your book?

Similarly, "real" children wouldn't bring the grandkids who visit grandparents soon after being exposed to COVID without making them wear masks. You do understand it was the child coming to the grandparents' home, right?

Back
Top Bottom