• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Amnesty?

Do you think amnesty is a good idea for all of the illegals that are currently in this country? We could tax them and start to know who we have in this country, which may help our efforts to fight illegal immigration, or would that just make 50 million people rush our borders etc.?

I think amnesty is an ok route to go. I mean, if you've been here for a long time and we're just finding out about it; congrats you've won. But it's a one time deal as well. This is because of the bureaucratic horrors which would appear if we tried to kick people out. Afterward, we'd have to do a good job keeping up on illegal immigration and punishing it on appropriate time scales.

Not all people concerned about illegal immigration are Republicans
I dont want to sound nitpicky, but undocumented immigration is generally a hotter issue for Republicans than most other groups and Republican voters tend to be more interested in it than other groups. It's not EXCLUSIVELY a Republican issue, but they tend to make it a bigger deal than others.

and no one is blaming illegal immigrants (let alone "brown people") for all of our nation's problems.
Talking to people who take decidedly "let's militarize the border even though it's illegal" stance leads me to suspect otherwise. Undocumented workers are a scapegoat, they are now and they always have been.

But certainly the nearly unrestricted flow of uneducated, unskilled laborers into an economy that has only so many jobs to go around is a concern.
Actually the number of immigrants has dropped off, due to the slump in our economy.

And then there is also the issue of security. The thought that just about ANYONE could cross our border undetected in unsettling.
Really? If millions of people have crossed our border without being caught yet we've had one incident of terrorism committed on our soil by foreign nationals in the last nine years with only a handful of stopped plots...that's a pretty good track record. How is that unsettling?

To me, what is MORE unsettling, is we have tens of thousands of people in our country who own weapons and have stated publically that there needs to be some sort of violent action against our government and against citizens who agree with the government at all.

Republicans and Democrats have both blown it when it comes to immigration. Reagan signed the amnesty bill. McCain and Bush tried to peddle what was essentially another amnesty bill without even addressing concerns of future enforcement. Obama and the Democrats are in their second year of controlling the government and they haven't done a thing either.
This is just a side point but something that always chaps my ass none the less. Yes he's been in office two years, but consider what he's dealing with on a daily basis. No, not every problem has been solved but the guy's gotta sleep at some point.

I dont want to sound nitpicky, but undocumented immigration is generally a hotter issue for Republicans than most other groups and Republican voters tend to be more interested in it than other groups. It's not EXCLUSIVELY a Republican issue, but they tend to make it a bigger deal than others.

It's more of a CONSERVATIVE issue, I'll give you that. The Republicans as a group haven't had a strong record on immigration. And also, I'm sure there are plenty of Blue Dog Democrats that would line up with a more or less conservative take on the issue. Most union workers I know, who overwhelmingly vote Democrat, are not big fans of illegal immigrants.

Talking to people who take decidedly "let's militarize the border even though it's illegal" stance leads me to suspect otherwise. Undocumented workers are a scapegoat, they are now and they always have been.

That's a radical position, well outside the mainstream. That would be like saying all left wingers want completely open and unmonitored borders. Yes, that is a left wing stance, but its hardly the mainstream liberal view.

Actually the number of immigrants has dropped off, due to the slump in our economy.

Just because there are less of them coming in now, doesn't mean we can afford to take them in.

Really? If millions of people have crossed our border without being caught yet we've had one incident of terrorism committed on our soil by foreign nationals in the last nine years with only a handful of stopped plots...that's a pretty good track record. How is that unsettling?

It's a good track record, but hardly means its impossible or even improbable. I'm amazed Al Queda hasn't used our porous borders to bring in swarms of terrorist cells. If I was them and had the mindset that terrorism was an acceptable practice, I kow I would take advantage of it.

To me, what is MORE unsettling, is we have tens of thousands of people in our country who own weapons and have stated publically that there needs to be some sort of violent action against our government and against citizens who agree with the government at all.

I'm really not all that frightened by a few yokels and whackjobs out in the woods somewhere playing army with other whackjobs. They should be monitored and observed as any potential domestic threat would be. But pretending they are any sort of credible threat to our nation is laughable.

This is just a side point but something that always chaps my ass none the less. Yes he's been in office two years, but consider what he's dealing with on a daily basis. No, not every problem has been solved but the guy's gotta sleep at some point.

Obama and Democrats have been utterly silent on this issue until the Arizona law forced their hand to say something. It would be one thing if Obama was already taking an active role in trying to figure out a solution, but until Arizona got the ball rolling, the Obama administration didn't even have illegal immigration on its radar.

And again, I'm not saying the Republicans are any better. That so called reform that McCain and Bush tried to peddle was pathetic. Both parties suck when it comes to this issue and have sucked for quite some time.

It's more of a CONSERVATIVE issue, I'll give you that. The Republicans as a group haven't had a strong record on immigration. And also, I'm sure there are plenty of Blue Dog Democrats that would line up with a more or less conservative take on the issue. Most union workers I know, who overwhelmingly vote Democrat, are not big fans of illegal immigrants.
Ok, I'll give you that.

That's a radical position, well outside the mainstream. That would be like saying all left wingers want completely open and unmonitored borders. Yes, that is a left wing stance, but its hardly the mainstream liberal view.
Again, it's not a RARE stance, take a look around here

Just because there are less of them coming in now, doesn't mean we can afford to take them in.
True, but it also means that the apocalyptic scenario that anti-immigration people like to conjure up is all the more unlikely.

It's a good track record, but hardly means its impossible or even improbable.
**** good, that's a goddamn stellar track record.

I'm amazed Al Queda hasn't used our porous borders to bring in swarms of terrorist cells. If I was them and had the mindset that terrorism was an acceptable practice, I kow I would take advantage of it.
Since they haven't done it, there is probably a reason.

Also, I'd worry less about our Southern border and look more to our Northern border. It's bigger, less well patrolled, and has plenty of cover.

I'm really not all that frightened by a few yokels and whackjobs out in the woods somewhere playing army with other whackjobs. They should be monitored and observed as any potential domestic threat would be. But pretending they are any sort of credible threat to our nation is laughable.
McVeigh was one motivated yokel. Resources dont matter so much as motivation. Besides, of the terrorist incidents we've had in the US, the overwhelming majority of them have been carried out BY US citizens
Militant Extremists in the United States - Council on Foreign Relations

Obama and Democrats have been utterly silent on this issue until the Arizona law forced their hand to say something. It would be one thing if Obama was already taking an active role in trying to figure out a solution, but until Arizona got the ball rolling, the Obama administration didn't even have illegal immigration on its radar.
That I dont think is fair because we dont know what's being discussed in the Oval Office. All things considered, I'm inclined to agree that it probably isnt a high priority for him right now, but again, all things considered I think there are more pressing issues that he has to worry about.

NO AMNESTY! **** em and feed em fish heads, then deport there asses.

Back
Top Bottom