• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Adulterers May be Stoned under New Afghan Law, Official says

MMC

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Private
Death by stoning for convicted adulterers is being written into Afghan law, a senior official said on Monday, the latest sign that human rights won at great cost since the Taliban were ousted in 2001 are rolling back as foreign troops withdraw.

"We are working on the draft of a sharia penal code where the punishment for adultery, if there are four eyewitnesses, is stoning," said Rohullah Qarizada, who is part of the sharia Islamic law committee working on the draft and head of the Afghan Independent Bar Association.

Billions have been invested on promoting human rights in Afghanistan over more than 12 years of war and donors fear that hard won progress, particularly for women, may be eroding.

During the Taliban's 1996-2001 time in power, convicted adulterers were routinely shot or stoned in executions held mostly on Fridays. Women were not permitted to go out on their own, girls were barred from schools and men were obliged to grow long beards.

Providing fresh evidence popular support for the brutal punishment has endured, two lovers narrowly escaped being stoned in Baghlan province north of Kabul, but were publicly shot over the weekend instead, officials said.

The U.S. based rights group has urged funding to be tied to commitments and last month, Norway took the rare step of cutting aid on the grounds that Afghanistan had failed to meet commitments to protect women's rights and fight corruption.

Most donors, however, have stopped short of using money to pressure President Hamid Karzai's administration and U.S. and United Nations officials were aware of the plan to reintroduce stoning, Qarizada said.....snip~

Adulterers may be stoned under new Afghan law, official says

What do you think about this? Do you think Obama knew about this LAW before his talks with Karzai recently? Norway wont give them any assistance. Why should we?

Geeeez, I have tired of the Afghanis and others of their ilk who maintain a medieval societal structure. When 70% of them grow weary of their circumstances and rise up we could consider aiding them at that time. Until then should they choose to continue as they have let them do what they do; if they kill themselves off... so be it.

It's a pathetic situation but we have far more beneficial ways to spend time and treasure.

Let Allah sort it out

Thom Paine

It will be women that will be abused over this law. Any of those SOB's wanting to rid himself of a wife for burned his frigging toast will be accused of adultery and stoned to death.

Barbarians. We should stop sending our own people into harm's way to aid them, if they are simply going to revert to savagery the instant we turn them loose.

Death by stoning for convicted adulterers is being written into Afghan law, a senior official said on Monday, the latest sign that human rights won at great cost since the Taliban were ousted in 2001 are rolling back as foreign troops withdraw.

"We are working on the draft of a sharia penal code where the punishment for adultery, if there are four eyewitnesses, is stoning," said Rohullah Qarizada, who is part of the sharia Islamic law committee working on the draft and head of the Afghan Independent Bar Association.

Billions have been invested on promoting human rights in Afghanistan over more than 12 years of war and donors fear that hard won progress, particularly for women, may be eroding.

During the Taliban's 1996-2001 time in power, convicted adulterers were routinely shot or stoned in executions held mostly on Fridays. Women were not permitted to go out on their own, girls were barred from schools and men were obliged to grow long beards.

Providing fresh evidence popular support for the brutal punishment has endured, two lovers narrowly escaped being stoned in Baghlan province north of Kabul, but were publicly shot over the weekend instead, officials said.

The U.S. based rights group has urged funding to be tied to commitments and last month, Norway took the rare step of cutting aid on the grounds that Afghanistan had failed to meet commitments to protect women's rights and fight corruption.

Most donors, however, have stopped short of using money to pressure President Hamid Karzai's administration and U.S. and United Nations officials were aware of the plan to reintroduce stoning, Qarizada said.....snip~

What do you think about this? Do you think Obama knew about this LAW before his talks with Karzai recently? Norway wont give them any assistance. Why should we?

Obama knows nothing until he reads it in the news.

It's really wrong, but when I read the thread title, that was my mental image...

stoner-791927.jpg

Yeah, first thing that came to my mind was, I want one of those signs - "Beware - adulterers may be stoned!".

Yeah, first thing that came to my mind was, I want one of those signs - "Beware - adulterers may be stoned!".

I read it as "adulterers may [are allowed to] get stoned" and thought, "damn, that's going to make adultery more popular..."

I read it as "adulterers may [are allowed to] get stoned" and thought, "damn, that's going to make adultery more popular..."

Back in the days of yore.... Been there done that my own self; sweet memories of youthful tomfoolery ! :lamo

Thom Paine

:2razz:

th

stoning2.jpg

Yeah well according to this piece they are saying Obama knew. Which if that is the case. Then he would have know it before he and Karzai spoke with each other. Also before their Loya Jirga came together.

Its not a pretty site with what they do to the women. Getting shot is a whole lot quicker.

One thing is for certain.....The Afghans just don't understand what it means by.....The Stone In My Hands.

Good thing we wasted billions in spending and thousands of lives to bring democracy and civilization to these mountain tribes. :roll:

Barbarians. We should stop sending our own people into harm's way to aid them, if they are simply going to revert to savagery the instant we turn them loose.

Barbarians describes them well. They treat their goats better than their women and teach their children to hate.

Barbarians describes them well. They treat their goats better than their women and teach their children to hate.

Not to mention talk about blackmail over a woman too. 4 guys all of them saying the same thing and she is toast.

One can see women doing whatever those guys want.

Which these clerics encourage that crap. See that's where going after those Clerics for being false teachers.....is where some focus should be. Once they see their clerics getting their asses handed to them on a silver platter. Might be enough of an alarm to cause some to wake up. If that don't do it.....their bodies hanging all over the place.....will.

Or, as Obama would likely phrase it, "they are a proud people that take excellent care of their livestock and educate their children, but must strive to improve their treatment of women". ;)

Obviously we're not going to reduce aid to them; we're attempting to rebuild their country, remember? Whatever the government comes up with will still be leagues ahead of what a Taliban or other al-Qaeda-supporting regime would do. I only hope that this bill gets defeated in their legislature, if it hasn't already passed.

Obviously we're not going to reduce aid to them; we're attempting to rebuild their country, remember? Whatever the government comes up with will still be leagues ahead of what a Taliban or other al-Qaeda-supporting regime would do. I only hope that this bill gets defeated in their legislature, if it hasn't already passed.
Yep, everyone seems to forget that the Taliban entirely ran that country before, so even if they've slid back a bit, they're probably ahead of where they were. Now this is NOT the case in Iraq, not at all, and the sinking of that country into extreme Islam is an issue we are directly responsible for.

If that is what the Afghanis want, let them have it. Instead of interfering we should help those Afghanis who don't want that get out of the country. You can not successfully force people to accept the opinions of outsiders. It is best to accept that it takes time for social change to happen and to engage and influence them indirectly.

Barbaric and disgusting wherever this repulsive act is carried out.

Yeah well according to this piece they are saying Obama knew

Quite possible. It wouldn't be the first time your leaders have turned a blind eye to a Country that displays disgusting Human Rights violations. My current and past leaders are no different. The hypocrisy and selective outrage (depending on if you are our "buddy"or not) is just disgusting.

Saudi Arabia seems to have no problem in getting a pass.

gk51a12bae.jpg

obama-saudi-arabia.jpg

Did you ever really expect otherwise? I did not. I am not surprised in the least about this. So many people in western society don't seem to understand the kind of mindset we are dealing with in the ME. They seem to expect that they are people just like us, who just happened to be oppressed. Truth is, they are oppressed because they have not been able to separate their religion from their politics, as a general rule. It's no surprise, as their holy book and their politics are so intimately intertwined, that to do otherwise requires not only great courage, but a change in collective consciousness, which I don't expect will happen for quite some time to come.

"Did Obama know...????" Since when has Obama known anything about anything? Benghazi, Obamacare.com, the NSA spying on German leaders, the IRS investigations, the Petraeus investigation, the DOJ siezing AP's phone records, Fast & Furious... Indeed, what does Obama know about anything?

I suspect Obama was more concerned about getting his minions to have "The Talk" about Obamacare over Thanksgiving dinner - like a good totalitarian should.

Honestly, I have no idea why we're in Afghanistan any more. It's time we left them to their own barbaric devices.

Last edited:
Quite possible. It wouldn't be the first time your leaders have turned a blind eye to a Country that displays disgusting Human Rights violations. My current and past leaders are no different. The hypocrisy and selective outrage (depending on if you are our "buddy"or not) is just disgusting.

Saudi Arabia seems to have no problem in getting a pass.

gk51a12bae.jpg

obama-saudi-arabia.jpg

Mornin' Serenity.
hat.gif
Yeah.....I think you know where I stand with the Saud.
wink.gif
evilgrin.gif

"Did Obama know...????" Since when has Obama known anything about anything? Benghazi, Obamacare.com, the NSA spying on German leaders, the IRS investigations, the Petraeus investigation, the DOJ siezing AP's phone records, Fast & Furious... Indeed, what does Obama know about anything?

I suspect Obama was more concerned about getting his minions to have "The Talk" about Obamacare over Thanksgiving dinner - like a good totalitarian should.

Honestly, I have no idea why we're in Afghanistan any more. It's time we left them to their own barbaric devices.

Mornin EW. :2wave: Yeah this morning Karzai has called for the stopping of all raids in Afghanistan and Drone strikes. Since Thursday morning, we admitted to killing some kid who was on a motorcycle that was being chased. Also two women were injured in the strike. When they drone reached out and touched somebody. He hasn't signed the agreement.....and Rice told him if he don't. We pull the plug on all of it. Aid too.

Did you ever really expect otherwise? I did not. I am not surprised in the least about this. So many people in western society don't seem to understand the kind of mindset we are dealing with in the ME. They seem to expect that they are people just like us, who just happened to be oppressed. Truth is, they are oppressed because they have not been able to separate their religion from their politics, as a general rule. It's no surprise, as their holy book and their politics are so intimately intertwined, that to do otherwise requires not only great courage, but a change in collective consciousness, which I don't expect will happen for quite some time to come.

Heya Liz.
hat.gif
Well and most of them being uneducated and that's those with education. Which are mostly the men. Which they preach their Alleged Good book by word of mouth. Telling them this is What Allah and their So called Prophet Mohammed say and yadda yadda. This is the way it is.

People who have to be told what to do and for all times of the day and night. While their so called elders live the good life. Of what good life they have.

The Solution IMO.....kill all males in Afghanistan over the age of 7. Give the Country to the Women to run and raise boys to men there. This way they can be assured of having Real Men in the future to lead their people.

Back
Top Bottom