• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

A question about an unexpected deposit

Mistakes come with a price.

Indeed they do, and conscience is one of those. Not to mention when the error is discovered the account will be debited...

Actually, it looks like unethical behavior turns a profit.

Go for it. That's clearly all that matters to you. Because you just lost all sorts of respect and trust in front of a lot of people and that doesn't seem to matter to you at all.

It all comes around.

Indeed they do, and conscience is one of those. Not to mention when the error is discovered the account will be debited...

And if they debit that account after Gipper removed that money... he not only loses $2000, he then goes negative and pays for the overdraft.

Ethics are so pre-Y2K. How about fear of retribution as a motivator. I've read of cases like this and not having the money to pay back will get you a nice felony.

Go for it. That's clearly all that matters to you. Because you just lost all sorts of respect and trust in front of a lot of people and that doesn't seem to matter to you at all.

It all comes around.

Ethics are so pre-Y2K. How about fear of retribution as a motivator. I've read of cases like this and not having the money to pay back will get you a nice felony.

Also, the burned bridges that just occurred where someone would consider hiring him for some kind of work... that's all gone for anyone reading this thread now. Anyone who knows this about him would never give him the benefit of the doubt on anything much less give him money for anything.

Also, the burned bridges that just occurred where someone would consider hiring him for some kind of work... that's all gone for anyone reading this thread now. Anyone who knows this about him would never give him the benefit of the doubt on anything much less give him money for anything.

Was someone here considering employing me?

I doubt there is much hiring going on here anyway. I have always been curious aboutr peoples honesty. For a decade, I loaned anyone who asked me $20 and I gave them my card and asked them to pay me back so I could help another human. I probably did this 50 times (I had a lot of money then).

One person paid me back.

The solution is rather simple. Leave the funds where they are and just ignore them for at least 3-4 years. If after that time they are still there move them to a money market account until you have exhausted all means to correct the error...

OK. My son has a friend who woke up this morning to $20,000 in his bank account. Last night he only had $50. He called the bank to find out where the money came from, and they told him it was from the VA. He is not a Vet, nor is his girlfriend. The closest anyone in the military is to these guys is the girlfriend's ex-boyfriend. The bank can't do anything, because the money was sent to the proper routing number, proper account number. He then calls the VA and can't get anyone from the VA - only automated numbers. I know that eventually he will find someone who will talk to him, but the automated number keeps verifying his routing number and account number as correct.

Now, we know that the money does not belong to this guy, but if he tries to give the money back and no one realizes the error, what should he do? Hopefully, eventually he'll get a human on the phone and they can get everything straightened out. What he doesn't realize is that this is felony fraud, and he will serve time in prison if he spends this money, knowing it's not his. Any ideas? What's the statute of limitations on something like this? If he keeps it in his account for a year and no one comes back for it, is it his?

Ummm, good luck with that. The VA has been erroneously paying me monthly disability pay for the past 1 1/2 years and I contacted them on numerous occasions about this and they still have not done anything about it. They think I am already retired from the USAF and that's why they are paying me (they are supposed to wait until after I am retired) but they just don't seem to get it. I figure once I retire (very soon) they just might figure it out.

Was someone here considering employing me?

We'll never know. The point is, we know for a fact that no one will any more.

The solution is rather simple. Leave the funds where they are and just ignore them for at least 3-4 years. If after that time they are still there move them to a money market account until you have exhausted all means to correct the error...

I'd document all efforts I made with any authority. The police, the bank... whatever. Make the effort. I mean wasn't this from the VA? That means it was intended for a vet for God's sake.

I doubt there is much hiring going on here anyway. I have always been curious aboutr peoples honesty. For a decade, I loaned anyone who asked me $20 and I gave them my card and asked them to pay me back so I could help another human. I probably did this 50 times (I had a lot of money then).

One person paid me back.

That's cool of you man. I don't give money out to those I don't know generally. If someone is standing next to a food place and says they are hungry, I buy them food. Last time it happened was about a month ago at lunchtime when I went to McD's. Two guys said they were hungry and I bought them lunch. They were really thankful and I appreciated that. But I won't give money to someone standing nowhere near a food place saying they are hungry so give me money. I don't believe it. If you are hungry, you will go nearer food.

I'd document all efforts I made with any authority. The police, the bank... whatever. Make the effort. I mean wasn't this from the VA? That means it was intended for a vet for God's sake.

I believe I stated that one should exhaust all efforts. What else can a person do when dealing with a behemoth?

I believe I stated that one should exhaust all efforts. What else can a person do when dealing with a behemoth?

Sorry... didn't mean to vent my exhaustion at what you posted. you are right.

I'll consider it their loss, as I've never stolen a cent from any employer ever.

Since you'd do this to a vet, no one in their right mind would ever believe that you'd not steal from an employer if an opportunity presented itself. It seems you'd just fabricate all sort of excuses so as to not call it stealing.

Since you'd do this to a vet, no one in their right mind would ever believe that you'd not steal from an employer if an opportunity presented itself. It seems you'd just fabricate all sort of excuses so as to not call it stealing.

If an opportunity presented itself?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Well, it was a test and like I said, it was a time of my life when I made ridiculous amounts of money and could afford to piss away thousands on some silly experiment.

I still give beggars a few bucks but no more $20s:) Even if they use it for drugs, who am I to deny a pittance to another human? Better them than me.

That's cool of you man. I don't give money out to those I don't know generally. If someone is standing next to a food place and says they are hungry, I buy them food. Last time it happened was about a month ago at lunchtime when I went to McD's. Two guys said they were hungry and I bought them lunch. They were really thankful and I appreciated that. But I won't give money to someone standing nowhere near a food place saying they are hungry so give me money. I don't believe it. If you are hungry, you will go nearer food.

He should continue to try to get a human on the phone. He should also write a letter to the VA, send it registered, and keep the returned receipt stapled to his copy of the letter. He should also send a registered letter to the manager of his bank branch stating that he believes the deposit was made in error and he's working with the VA to resolve the problem; staple the return receipt to his copy of the letter.

If things go south, that written communication will be evidence that there was no attempt to defraud on his part. Weird situation.

Well, it was a test and like I daid, it was a time of my life when I made ridiculous amounts of money and could affor to piss away thousands on some silly experiment.

I still give beggars a few bucks but no more $20s:) Even if they use it for drugs, who am I to deny a pittance to another human? Better them than me.

I saw a comedian saying this before. He said something like:

A guy asked me for some money and I said "Hell no, you'd just piss it away on drugs and alcohol" then I realized that I was going to piss it away on drugs and alcohol.​

If he gets to keep the money, it is Federally taxable. I think its a capital gain. And why not? Better than a kick in the hoo-hoo.

The chances of this happening are similar to our planet bumping into Jupiter.

A somewhat similar thing happened to a friend of mine. He tried in vain to return the money. His accountant told him to keep the money and save interest gained. It was more than a year later when he received a letter demanding that he return the money. He was also charged interest and had to pay taxes on the money.

It was the feds mistake from day one. He insisted they made a mistake. They told him he was wrong and in so many words to piss off...until they discovered their mistake. At that point they were less than pleasant and they demanded interest and taxes - on their mistake.

If an opportunity presented itself?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Such as if a businessman, your boss, dropped his bank deposit while getting in his car and drove off. It's pretty obvious what you'd do with it.

Gipper said:
Mistakes come with a price.

Your instant gratification mentality will blow up in your face in the long run.

A decent CPA or attorney could have won back the interest and penalties if the victim was faultless.

A somewhat similar thing happened to a friend of mine. He tried in vain to return the money. His accountant told him to keep the money and save interest gained. It was more than a year later when he received a letter demanding that he return the money. He was also charged interest and had to pay taxes on the money.

It was the feds mistake from day one. He insisted they made a mistake. They told him he was wrong and in so many words to piss off...until they discovered their mistake. At that point they were less than pleasant and they demanded interest and taxes - on their mistake.

Back
Top Bottom