• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

A question about an unexpected deposit

Exactly.

I saw a comedian saying this before. He said something like:

A guy asked me for some money and I said "Hell no, you'd just piss it away on drugs and alcohol" then I realized that I was going to piss it away on drugs and alcohol.​

Such as if a businessman, your boss, dropped his bank deposit while getting in his car and drove off. It's pretty obvious what you'd do with it.

Wouldn't be an issue, since I'm the accountant or office manager at the job and it'd be me responsible for the money.

If it was for someone else not affiliated with me or my position at work, then I'd keep it.

Well, it was a test and like I said, it was a time of my life when I made ridiculous amounts of money and could afford to piss away thousands on some silly experiment.

I still give beggars a few bucks but no more $20s:) Even if they use it for drugs, who am I to deny a pittance to another human? Better them than me.

I think one of the last times I gave money to a beggar was when he had a sign that said, "Need beer money".

I liked the honesty. It beats the bull**** story I hear all the time about how his car... which is not in sight, is out of gas and he's got to get to ______________ (fill in blank with whatever is about an hour's drive away).

A young couple spanged me one time outside of a pizza place I came to get my pizza's saying they were hungry and I told them when I come back out I'll give them some pizza. They said "great"... then disappeared before I came back out.

Wouldn't be an issue, since I'm the accountant or office manager at the job and it'd be me responsible for the money.

No one reading this thread will believe you wouldn't take it. No one.

If it was for someone else not affiliated with me or my position at work, then I'd keep it.

Like I said... that's definitely something good to know about you and who you are.

I go to the money machine (ATM) every Friday. A couple of months ago I pulled up and there was money at the dispensary. I thought for about 10 seconds before I pulled around and took the $400 inside the bank with the receipt that was there as well. It shouldn't be too difficult of a decision to do the right thing...

No one reading this thread will believe you wouldn't take it. No one.

They can think whatever they want to. They have that right.

I know the difference between stealing and keeping found money.

Also, if I wanted to steal money from an employer, I promise you that they'd never be the wiser.

I go to the money machine (ATM) every Friday. A couple of months ago I pulled up and there was money at the dispensary. I thought for about 10 seconds before I pulled around and took the $400 inside the bank with the receipt that was there as well. It shouldn't be too difficult of a decision to do the right thing...

Well, you're a better man than I am, I admit.

A decent CPA or attorney could have won back the interest and penalties if the victim was faultless.

Fortunately for my friend the amount as something like $3,000. Not really enough to fool with.

By the time they are begging, they have already fallen so low that I feel sorry for them even if they are obviously bull****ting me. Imagine that as a career. The car and gas story is a big non-no. That's a short con and you're being victimized so screw them.

I think one of the last times I gave money to a beggar was when he had a sign that said, "Need beer money".

I liked the honesty. It beats the bull**** story I hear all the time about how his car... which is not in sight, is out of gas and he's got to get to ______________ (fill in blank with whatever is about an hour's drive away).

A young couple spanged me one time outside of a pizza place I came to get my pizza's saying they were hungry and I told them when I come back out I'll give them some pizza. They said "great"... then disappeared before I came back out.

Well, you do hear horror stories but I've been audited 4 times and they were very nice, took my word for several things they could have gone fishing in and overall, it was OK. Nobody likes to los $3K but fighting for it probably makes no sense either.

Fortunately for my friend the amount as something like $3,000. Not really enough to fool with.

Well, you do hear horror stories but I've been audited 4 times and they were very nice, took my word for several things they could have gone fishing in and overall, it was OK. Nobody likes to los $3K but fighting for it probably makes no sense either.

I have a friend who was an IRS auditor for years. Hell of a nice guy. He said, that yes every field of work has its pricks but for the most part most IRS people are not at all bad people out to screw people over. They can, he said, and will when people are rude, abusive and nasty. No surprise there, I don't think.

I was respectful, I remained with my records, I answered questions that made sense and they treated me with equal respect. It's their job, a boring job. They're just making a living, they're not out to get you.

The secret is to always pay your taxes. Be aggressive but don't be foolish. They're not idiots.

I have a friend who was an IRS auditor for years. Hell of a nice guy. He said, that yes every field of work has its pricks but for the most part most IRS people are not at all bad people out to screw people over. They can, he said, and will when people are rude, abusive and nasty. No surprise there, I don't think.

Quick question, do either of the donees have parents who were in the service who may have recently died? I think I've heard that certain type of death benefits go directly to the children particularly if the parents are divorced, but that's strictly hearsay and should be treated as such.

$20,000 dollars. That's like... a million dollars or something. Throw it on the bed and have sex on it like a movie.

No, it's not fraud unless you received the money under false pretenses due to actions on your (the receiver) part. If it wasn't a loan or a contractual agreement of some sort, it's his. He is under no obligation to return the money.

If the money was received through deceit, it's fraud. If it was received by accident, it's a gift.

That is VERY inaccurate. It is also naïve. He COULD MAYBE be found "not guilty" - after spending the money for bond (not refundable), being booked in, and sitting thru a trial hoping he isn't found guilty a year or two later - plus the money required to be returned anyway.

Here's the reality... if a person is arrested and indicted for defrauding or stealing from the Department of Defense, that person isn't "winning." It is now only a question of how much does the person lose - monetarily, in stress, in jail time and in risk of prison. And if he needs that $20K that bad, he sure can't afford the $$ for a bond and a lawyer.

And I have no clue where these theories of "abandoned," "gift" or a 1 year statute of limitations comes from. Just people making up stuff.

Just send it to the Department of Defense certified mail and forget about it.

MY advice would be to withdraw it as a certified check payable to "The United States Government" and send it to Department of Defense by certified letter.

OK. My son has a friend who woke up this morning to $20,000 in his bank account. Last night he only had $50. He called the bank to find out where the money came from, and they told him it was from the VA. He is not a Vet, nor is his girlfriend. The closest anyone in the military is to these guys is the girlfriend's ex-boyfriend. The bank can't do anything, because the money was sent to the proper routing number, proper account number. He then calls the VA and can't get anyone from the VA - only automated numbers. I know that eventually he will find someone who will talk to him, but the automated number keeps verifying his routing number and account number as correct.

Now, we know that the money does not belong to this guy, but if he tries to give the money back and no one realizes the error, what should he do? Hopefully, eventually he'll get a human on the phone and they can get everything straightened out. What he doesn't realize is that this is felony fraud, and he will serve time in prison if he spends this money, knowing it's not his. Any ideas? What's the statute of limitations on something like this? If he keeps it in his account for a year and no one comes back for it, is it his?

It's unlikely he'd do prison time if he spent it. But it probably would come back to bite him in the ass later. He'd either end up in a huge court battle, or have to pay it back (or both). Cases like this have happened before, and it almost always gets fixed in the end. Tell him to just keep calling the VA until he gets to talk to a real person.

No, it's not fraud unless you received the money under false pretenses due to actions on your (the receiver) part.
You are correct that it's not fraud.

That's because if he does spend the money, he's committed grand theft. People get sent to jail for failing to report and spending accidental deposits.

Ethically, spending the money is also not acceptable. Stealing is not acceptable because the victim is a faceless entity like the VA or a bank.

Ummm, good luck with that. The VA has been erroneously paying me monthly disability pay for the past 1 1/2 years and I contacted them on numerous occasions about this and they still have not done anything about it. They think I am already retired from the USAF and that's why they are paying me (they are supposed to wait until after I am retired) but they just don't seem to get it. I figure once I retire (very soon) they just might figure it out.

Or not or wrong again. This is what drives me crazy. Even notifying the SSA of a name change if you've married and changed your last name can be just fraught with confusion and complications. :(

You probably remember FLETC, Risky, and if not, it stands for Federal Law Enforcement Training Center. A friend of mine works there as an instructor. She's an official agent of the IRS, and trains people to be "those guys" that work for the IRS that knock on your door and menacingly say, "Hello. I'm from the IRS. May I come in?" :lol:

Update:: It ended up belonging to the ex-boyfriend of the guy's new girlfriend. Somehow, they sent it to her (and his) bank account, instead of the Vet's account. She wouldn't give up yesterday and kept calling the VA 'til she got a human, and they worked it out. They woke up this morning and the money was gone. Our son called us this morning. Glad it all worked out. I wasn't expecting the best from this scenario, to be honest.

Back
Top Bottom