• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

A fact checker looked into 158 things Donald Trump said. 78 percent were false

What qualifies as "a completely true statement"?

If a swindler was bent on deceiving, it's unlikely that he could get down to the 2% level.

So let's see, 23% true vs 2%.

I wouldn't play golf with either of these inveterate liars.

In one case we can be sure that one is lying 77% of the time and the other 98% of the time according to Politifact.

Do these numbers recommend either one?

As I just explained to Kobie, you could expect one to lie 49% of the time and the other to lie 91% of the time (or at least tell half lies). I'll just have to play poker with the one who lies 49% of the time. At least there's a chance I'll keep my shirt afterwards.

That's the truth!

I think the Framers assumed that the elections for president would be decided in the House.

When the two parties colluded to pass laws to assure that the parties would decide the outcomes, everything changed.

This is the outcome of the process that is in place. It is not beyond possibility that the Donald will be frozen out somehow and Hillary will be indicted. I guess it depends on what the FBI turns up and if the Lynch DoJ will do anything with their stuff.

We already have Hillary's declaration that there will be no trial on transgressions. She seemed pretty certain of that.

Donald seems pretty certain of everything he says.

Both lie most of the time. What a country!

Can't say I can agree with your point of view....

But as they say.......

that's what makes the world go 'round..........

Actually, it's pretty much accepted by actual historians that Marie Antoniette didn't say that.

Did Mr. Peabody tell you that?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-than-all-the-other-2016-candidates-combined/
A fact checker looked into 158 things Donald Trump said. 78 percent were false.

Liar, liar…. Pants on fire……. If Trump opens his mouth, chances are 78% of the time it is a lie

PolitiFact, the nonpartisan fact-checking outlet based in Florida, is out today with its mid-year report on the 2016 election. It's an attempt to take a step back from the day-to-day grind of the campaign and see which candidates are telling the truth and which aren't.

Donald Trump isn't.

Of the 158 Trump claims that PolitiFact has checked out, 95 have been rated either "False" or "Pants on Fire." That's 60 percent of all Trump claims. As PolitiFact notes, if you include the Trump statements rated "mostly false" in that group, 78 percent of all of Trump's fact-checked claims have been scored "mostly false" or worse.

That's not even the most amazing fact in the PolitiFact report. That honor goes to this: "Trump has more statements rated Pants on Fire, 30, than the 21 other candidates for president we’ve fact-checked this cycle combined……….

ALSO SEE:
The truth (so far) behind the 2016 campaign | PolitiFact

So?

What difference does it make. Since the beginning Trumpsters have admitted they know he's lying and don't care. as long as it isn't a "politician" he's gold.

Lincoln was wrong, you really can fool all of the people all of the time.

So?

What difference does it make. Since the beginning Trumpsters have admitted they know he's lying and don't care. as long as it isn't a "politician" he's gold.

Lincoln was wrong, you really can fool all of the people all of the time.<======================So True, FAL... :yes:

So?

Lincoln was wrong, you really can fool all of the people all of the time.

Trump's greatest accomplishment this election season is beinf able to successfully convince his base that he's not a politician.

Politifact's actual analysis appears to conflict with yours. Perhaps you should show us your research.

Some of us have the ability to tell when a person is lying to them, others not so much. That's why some people fall for Nigerian Princes with money they need to hide and also vote for liberals.

While 23% doesn't look great by much of any metric, I think one thing you have to keep in mind is that any politician is going to make large sweeping statements that are almost always going to have an exception or some nuance that chips into it in some way. Saying "X country's taxes are higher because President Lucifer raised them" may be true. But if the statement is said to suggest that President Lucifer's decision was to blame for the dire finances of a country, it may neglect the important back story that the only reason for the dire finances in the first place is because his predecessor President Beelzebub spent the country's money on coke and hookers. That's why the majority of a politician's statements tend end up getting thrown into the "mostly true" than the "true" category. Most people, even Republicans of all people, think of Bernie Sanders as a generally principled and honest guy, and the latter hate his policies. His "true" statements on Politifact? 14%.

So when you add up the true and mostly true statements, which is actually what I usually do, you get Trump with 9%, Clinton with 51% and Bernie with 52%, which all start to look a little more believable.

I think what's really interesting is the Pants on Fire rulings, the lies are so lie-y, that you can't even rebrand them as "mistaken." They're obviously made-up bull****. So then you've got Trump with 19%, Clinton with 1%, and Sanders with 0%.

Quite right.

Some of us have the ability to tell when a person is lying to them, others not so much. That's why some people fall for Nigerian Princes with money they need to hide and also vote for liberals.

I see. Well, that's unassailable proof!

Considering that if Hillary Clinton opens her mouth and speaks anything other than smarmy platitudes, chances are 100% she's lying. So that would make Trump the more honest of the two. That's pretty sad, actually.

Forgive me if i don't grant your ridiculous probability calculation any credibility.

I see you've abandoned any pretense of even pretending to contribute to the thread.

I appreciate that you liberals like to stick together and over value your opinions, but my contributions to this thread, such as they are, are in no way less important or relevant than either yours or those of the poster I responded to. It actually would be pretense if I gave even a moment's thought to most of the content of this thread.

Listen to yourselves: My Liar Lies Less than Your Liar.
We are in deep, deep poo as a Nation.

As I just explained to Kobie, you could expect one to lie 49% of the time and the other to lie 91% of the time (or at least tell half lies). I'll just have to play poker with the one who lies 49% of the time. At least there's a chance I'll keep my shirt afterwards.

From what I've noticed, Poker is not a game in which the player needs to depend on the honesty of others.

I'm a horrible poker player because I like to play and not work at it. What fun is it to bet when you're holding 4 aces? Winning a hand bluffing with a pair of deuces is great fun!

My typical stint at the table is brief and costs whatever I've decided to lose that night.

When you talk to people, though, their history is your guide in determining anything.

When one guy uses profanity, you think the world is about to end. Other guys can't wander from the capital letter to period without a generous sample of profanity. Same is true with honesty or accuracy.

When you listen to Trump, the statements he makes are used to make his point. I don't think anyone assumes that he either thinks they are true or wants the listener to think they are true. He is creating a picture. He's like a car salesman who is trying to get you to envision yourself and the beautiful girl in that new car.

Hillary on the other hand is spending a lot of time trying to convince us that what she says is true. He's talking about your dreams. She's talking about her's.

Can't say I can agree with your point of view....

But as they say.......

that's what makes the world go 'round..........

What is it that you disagree that you disagree with?

From what I've noticed, Poker is not a game in which the player needs to depend on the honesty of others.

I'm a horrible poker player because I like to play and not work at it. What fun is it to bet when you're holding 4 aces? Winning a hand bluffing with a pair of deuces is great fun!

My typical stint at the table is brief and costs whatever I've decided to lose that night.

When you talk to people, though, their history is your guide in determining anything.

When one guy uses profanity, you think the world is about to end. Other guys can't wander from the capital letter to period without a generous sample of profanity. Same is true with honesty or accuracy.

When you listen to Trump, the statements he makes are used to make his point. I don't think anyone assumes that he either thinks they are true or wants the listener to think they are true. He is creating a picture. He's like a car salesman who is trying to get you to envision yourself and the beautiful girl in that new car.

Hillary on the other hand is spending a lot of time trying to convince us that what she says is true. He's talking about your dreams. She's talking about her's.

I don't play poker and didn't consider it an analogy to be seriously dissected. Point is I'll take the 49% liar versus the 91% liar. I don't say that like it's expected to be inspirational, it just is what it is.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-than-all-the-other-2016-candidates-combined/
A fact checker looked into 158 things Donald Trump said. 78 percent were false.

Liar, liar…. Pants on fire……. If Trump opens his mouth, chances are 78% of the time it is a lie

PolitiFact, the nonpartisan fact-checking outlet based in Florida, is out today with its mid-year report on the 2016 election. It's an attempt to take a step back from the day-to-day grind of the campaign and see which candidates are telling the truth and which aren't.

Donald Trump isn't.

Of the 158 Trump claims that PolitiFact has checked out, 95 have been rated either "False" or "Pants on Fire." That's 60 percent of all Trump claims. As PolitiFact notes, if you include the Trump statements rated "mostly false" in that group, 78 percent of all of Trump's fact-checked claims have been scored "mostly false" or worse.

That's not even the most amazing fact in the PolitiFact report. That honor goes to this: "Trump has more statements rated Pants on Fire, 30, than the 21 other candidates for president we’ve fact-checked this cycle combined……….

ALSO SEE:
The truth (so far) behind the 2016 campaign | PolitiFact

Trump supporters aren't uninformed,they're misinformed!

:lol:

Listen to yourselves: My Liar Lies Less than Your Liar.
We are in deep, deep poo as a Nation.

Indeed we are. I think we started to go off the rails when it was generally accepted that politicians can lie to us and we'll just accept it. I think it'd be better to not tolerate it, condemn it, and not further enable it, as a path to a better future.

I appreciate that you liberals like to stick together and over value your opinions, but my contributions to this thread, such as they are, are in no way less important or relevant than either yours or those of the poster I responded to. It actually would be pretense if I gave even a moment's thought to most of the content of this thread.

Your "contributions" to the thread have the nutritional value of hot dog feces.

I don't play poker and didn't consider it an analogy to be seriously dissected. Point is I'll take the 49% liar versus the 91% liar. I don't say that like it's expected to be inspirational, it just is what it is.

A lot depends on what the lies are and what they are intended to lead the listener to believe.

For 13 hours, dedicated patriots fought for their lives got no help whatever. Our leaders left them behind.

Later Hillary, one of these leaders, told the families that the video was the reason that a peaceful demonstration turned violent.

Later still, Obama, another of these leaders, said that we don't leave people behind as he traded numerous terrorists to gain the release of one deserter.

Both have said or had their reps say that the situation was changing on an hourly basis and that is why they talked on every side of the issue saying alternately (in private and in public and depending on the audience) different things.

Some lies are just off the cuff jokes or misstatements and others are conspiratorial policy decisions orchestrated to deceive and mislead.

Back
Top Bottom