• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

7 ways to bring back the PC: Fix or dump Windows 8

The Giant Noodle

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Its ALMOST Official. Windows 8 is dead. http://www.nbcnews.com/technology/gadgetbox/7-ways-bring-back-pc-1C9319686
If PC vendors want to get people excited about their products again, they need to step up their game in these seven ways.Fix or dump Windows 8
Users still need PCs and always will because their larger screens, better keyboards and faster processors make them infinitely better at multitasking and productivity tasks than tablets. By burying the multi-window desktop in favor of full-screen apps with low- information density, Windows 8 turns your PC into a unitasker. You can actually get a better multitasking experience view with the Dual View feature on Samsung’s Galaxy 5.5-inch Galaxy Note II, which lets you split the screen evenly between two apps, than with Windows’ new Modern UI, which gives you just one full screen app plus a sliver of a second.
PC manufacturers should either start selling more new computers with Windows 7 on them or configure Windows 8 to boot straight to the desktop and run a third-party Start menu replacement. Microsoft could also help by improving its interface to make it more multitasking friendly than Windows 7 rather than less.
More: 5 Windows 8 apps to bring back the Start menu

I would be tempted to move to a Linux distro if this keeps up.

Eventually Windows 8 will go the way of the other windows misses.

Windows 8 is one of the reasons I'm not anxious to buy another computer. I'm sick of software companies updating programs for little or no benefit (to me) and putting me at the bottom of the learning curve yet again.

Building your own is always an option and if you need any assistance I am willing to help. Then you could buy a retail version of windows 7 and use it anytime you upgrade to a newer pc. At least until a better OS comes along.

I would be tempted to move to a Linux distro if this keeps up.

Lets see.. 10 minutes to learn Windows 8... or days/weeks to figure out how to work with Linux and not being able to run any of your programs or grames.. yea.. smart move!

Windows 8 is one of the reasons I'm not anxious to buy another computer. I'm sick of software companies updating programs for little or no benefit (to me) and putting me at the bottom of the learning curve yet again.

Have you even tried Windows 8? You do realize you dont HAVE to use the metro interface... I barely use it as it is... Dont listen to the Windows 8 haters.. chances are they want you to move to Apple or Linux, which frankly are often even worse on the learning curve.

Lets see.. 10 minutes to learn Windows 8... or days/weeks to figure out how to work with Linux and not being able to run any of your programs or grames.. yea.. smart move!

I rarely have time for games, Pete. I spend most of my time researching, writing, and reading.

I rarely have time for games, Pete. I spend most of my time researching, writing, and reading.

And it would still not require much learning on Windows 8. How hard can it be to click your browser and word processor icon in the new start menu? And if you dont want to use the metro start menu.. then put it on the desktop and when windows boots up, hit the windows key and you will never have to go back to metro interface (in that session). It is not like it is totally alien like in OSX or hard to find like in Linux Mint or totally wacked as in Ubuntu.... still dont get that interface at all.

I am really hoping we don't go to Win8 at work. Task switching is absolutely vital, and this would just cripple it. I still miss my XP-style task bar. Honestly, I'm jealous of the people who still have XP on their computers.

Linux at home. I jumped off the Windows train when it got to Vista. Just so done. No problems since.

Anyone who can use Windows 7 can use desktop Linux in under 10 minutes. They can also install it in under 10 minutes. It will come with everything most people need, including an office suite that resembles the much-missed layout of earlier WinOffice suites.

And it would still not require much learning on Windows 8. How hard can it be to click your browser and word processor icon in the new start menu? And if you dont want to use the metro start menu.. then put it on the desktop and when windows boots up, hit the windows key and you will never have to go back to metro interface (in that session). It is not like it is totally alien like in OSX or hard to find like in Linux Mint or totally wacked as in Ubuntu.... still dont get that interface at all.

What are you talking about?

I use Mint. It has a very standard bottom panel with the Menu button right where it's always been.

The Unity UI that Ubuntu has doesn't exist in Mint. You have no clue what you're talking about.

I am really hoping we don't go to Win8 at work. Task switching is absolutely vital, and this would just cripple it. I still miss my XP-style task bar. Honestly, I'm jealous of the people who still have XP on their computers.

Alt tab... has not changed since Windows XP. Anyone who uses the taskbar to task switch is not using the computer right :)

Anyone who can use Windows 7 can use desktop Linux in under 10 minutes. They can also install it in under 10 minutes. It will come with everything most people need, including an office suite that resembles the much-missed layout of earlier WinOffice suites.

Yes and no. Install Linux on a clean machine (no dual booting) is as easy as Windows.. just a tad longer. Getting used to using it is another matter in my opinion. Finding basic settings is a pain, and setting up your desktop as you want.. for example having a different picture shown every say 30 seconds.. total pain to figure out. As for Open Office and such.. unless things have changed since I last tested it.. they suck donkey balls. They remind me of Works which was ... ARGH!

Add to that a lack of popular programs and games and you have a problem. I also dislike Skype on Linux and the total dependence on linux nerds and open source to keep stuff up to date and evolve... at least with Microsoft and Apple you have the ability to complain to someone over bugs and ****.. in Linux.. no clue.

Linux at home. I jumped off the Windows train when it got to Vista. Just so done. No problems since.

I don't have anything against Linux because I've never used it, but I think the Win7 task bar is much better that XP's. In Win8, you don't lose the task bar or anything else from Win7...except that unnecessary start button. In fact, what you get with Win8 is a full screen to take the place of the start button, a more efficient and a more secure OS.

shrug...

I've been using Win8 since release and I would never willingly go back to Win7.

What are you talking about?

I use Mint. It has a very standard bottom panel with the Menu button right where it's always been.

Yea and it is at the same place in Windows.. not visible, but it is there.. try putting your mouse in the left corner of the screen or pressing the windows button. It seems to me you are all fuffy over a view-able "start" button for some reason.. do you hate auto hide on the task bar as well?

As for Linux Mint.. it is okay, but they seriously need to stop having 2 different versions.. confuses the hell out of people. Not to mention on my machines Linux Mint runs slow as hell compared to Windows 8 for some reason.. even with a clean install. Having Firefox and even the settings menu take 2 to 3 seconds to come up.. is too much.

The Unity UI that Ubuntu has doesn't exist in Mint. You have no clue what you're talking about.

Unity blows..

Yea and it is at the same place in Windows.. not visible, but it is there.. try putting your mouse in the left corner of the screen or pressing the windows button. It seems to me you are all fuffy over a view-able "start" button for some reason.. do you hate auto hide on the task bar as well?

As for Linux Mint.. it is okay, but they seriously need to stop having 2 different versions.. confuses the hell out of people. Not to mention on my machines Linux Mint runs slow as hell compared to Windows 8 for some reason.. even with a clean install. Having Firefox and even the settings menu take 2 to 3 seconds to come up.. is too much.

Nope. It's perfectly visible. Down in the lower left. Staring at it right now.

No, I don't like auto-hide. I'm allowed to have my preferences. You're pretty "fluffy" over some stuff on Linux that, well... doesn't actually exist.

Windows has multiple versions too. And the main release of Mint is really quite easy to find, seeing as how it's the first option.

Did you dual boot it, with Windows installed first? Windows will try to screw with another OS if it's installed first. If you're gonna do that, it has to be Linux first.

But that's all I can think of. Mint always ran faster for me. Hell, I probably got an extra year or two out of my old laptop by running Mint on it.

Unity blows..

I completely agree, which is why I use Mint.

Alt tab... has not changed since Windows XP. Anyone who uses the taskbar to task switch is not using the computer right :)

Yes and no. Install Linux on a clean machine (no dual booting) is as easy as Windows.. just a tad longer. Getting used to using it is another matter in my opinion. Finding basic settings is a pain, and setting up your desktop as you want.. for example having a different picture shown every say 30 seconds.. total pain to figure out. As for Open Office and such.. unless things have changed since I last tested it.. they suck donkey balls. They remind me of Works which was ... ARGH!

Add to that a lack of popular programs and games and you have a problem. I also dislike Skype on Linux and the total dependence on linux nerds and open source to keep stuff up to date and evolve... at least with Microsoft and Apple you have the ability to complain to someone over bugs and ****.. in Linux.. no clue.

You gotta be kidding me. I just went through this with my boyfriend's computer. The Windows install took over an hour. The Linux side took 10-15 minutes.

He's a total luddite, and hasn't actually had to ask me any questions at all. I ran him through package manager once, and that was it.

Linux has most popular programs. Gaming is the only remaining issue. Steam's coming to Linux, so I expect that to be going away soon. The one game he plays will be on Linux within a month, and then he wants me to get rid of his Windows partition for good.

I think bugs get fixed a lot faster in Linux. Hell, someone actually wrote a program for me to get my WinXP touch screen to work in Mint. All I did was post a question in the official forum.

Nope. It's perfectly visible. Down in the lower left. Staring at it right now.

No, I don't like auto-hide. I'm allowed to have my preferences.

That explains everything :)

Windows has multiple versions too. And the main release of Mint is really quite easy to find, seeing as how it's the first option.

Yes but the differences are minimal to say the least.. the difference between MATE and Cinnamon are considerable when it comes to the visual. I installed MATE and found out I should have installed Cinnamon because it had some features that MATE did not have... go figure.

Did you dual boot it, with Windows installed first? Windows will try to screw with another OS if it's installed first. If you're gonna do that, it has to be Linux first.

Yep same result. Wiped the whole harddrive and installed Linux Mint MATE latest version and had same problems.

But that's all I can think of. Mint always ran faster for me. Hell, I probably got an extra year or two out of my old laptop by running Mint on it.

I know, but when even Ubuntu had same problem, then I am thinking it might be a driver issue or something with Intel i processors or something. And yes I did update them before ditching the whole thing. And we are talking about an i3 with 6 GB ram and an i5 with 8 GB ram.. so not exactly low spec machines.

I completely agree, which is why I use Mint.

I would love to use Mint or Linux, but it always comes back to the games and programs problem. I like Office for Windows.. I am use to it.. Open office means I have to relearn a lot and drives down my productivity. And then there is the games issue. I refuse to run Wine or similar to get my Football Manager, Simcity 5 or Star Wars Old Republic to run on Linux.. it is simply too much work and complicated even for a nerd like me.. rather stare at a wall.

I don't have anything against Linux because I've never used it, but I think the Win7 task bar is much better that XP's. In Win8, you don't lose the task bar or anything else from Win7...except that unnecessary start button. In fact, what you get with Win8 is a full screen to take the place of the start button, a more efficient and a more secure OS.

shrug...

I've been using Win8 since release and I would never willingly go back to Win7.

I just really don't care for it. There are some Linux distros that are going a similar route, but I just like the classic panel better, so I stick to those distros.

Uhhh....there are Linux distros that are super easy and user friendly to use. GUI and everything. With the ONE exception being game compatibility - there's very little a Linux system can't do just as well or better than a Windows system.

Plus - no viruses..... (relative to windows and/or mac)

Just wanted to clarify - you don't need to be a mega-compu-geek-nerd to quickly be up and running using quite a few Linux distros.

Plus - you can burn a version of most onto a DVD or thumb-drive and try it without having to remove or over-write anything on your current hard-drive.

As suggested - MINT is probably the best one going for the uber-novice.

You gotta be kidding me. I just went through this with my boyfriend's computer. The Windows install took over an hour. The Linux side took 10-15 minutes.

My Windows 8 took under 10 minutes to install. My Windows 7 machine took the same amount. In fact Windows Xp takes considerably longer. Linux Mint takes 10-15 minutes yes, depending on if you understand the whole partition crap... no I dont want to wipe my disk!

Linux has most popular programs.

Oh? Spotify? How about Microsoft Office? and so on

Gaming is the only remaining issue. Steam's coming to Linux, so I expect that to be going away soon. The one game he plays will be on Linux within a month, and then he wants me to get rid of his Windows partition for good.

Steam for Linux is already a major flop. There are no games and no games are being developed for Linux. Game developers have a hard time justifying developing for Mac and Mac has over 5% of the world market.. with Linux not even hitting 1% I believe. Look at Simcity 5.. one of the most anticipated games of the year.. and only after the fact are they making a Mac version..

I think bugs get fixed a lot faster in Linux. Hell, someone actually wrote a program for me to get my WinXP touch screen to work in Mint. All I did was post a question in the official forum.

I disagree.. critical bugs are often ignored because the security risks are minimal because of the lack of users. Only place bugs are fixed fast is in the server software.

Uhhh....there are Linux distros that are super easy and user friendly to use. GUI and everything. With the ONE exception being game compatibility - there's very little a Linux system can't do just as well or better than a Windows system.

Plus - no viruses..... (relative to windows and/or mac)

There are, but they are few because no one develops viruses for an OS that barely breaks 1% of marketshare. Apple users lived for a decade on the "we are safe from virus" crap.. dont fall in the same trap.

Just wanted to clarify - you don't need to be a mega-compu-geek-nerd to quickly be up and running using quite a few Linux distros.

Plus - you can burn a version of most onto a DVD or thumb-drive and try it without having to remove or over-write anything on your current hard-drive.

As suggested - MINT is probably the best one going for the uber-novice.

Problems come after installing :)

Yes but the differences are minimal to say the least.. the difference between MATE and Cinnamon are considerable when it comes to the visual. I installed MATE and found out I should have installed Cinnamon because it had some features that MATE did not have... go figure.

Apart from the corner workspace launcher, they look pretty darn similar to me. I use Cinnamon presently.

But MATE functionally, if we're making a Windows analogy, is a bit like "give me XP with Win7 guts." So, yeah. It's not as modern. That's the entire point of it.

Yep same result. Wiped the whole harddrive and installed Linux Mint MATE latest version and had same problems.

Don't know. :shrug: I've never had that problem.

I know, but when even Ubuntu had same problem, then I am thinking it might be a driver issue or something with Intel i processors or something. And yes I did update them before ditching the whole thing. And we are talking about an i3 with 6 GB ram and an i5 with 8 GB ram.. so not exactly low spec machines.

Certainly could be. Although it's worth mentioning that some newer processors are specifically designed to exclude Linux and throw a wrench in the works.

They'll adapt, of course. But I think these companies are starting to get how frustrated users are.

I would love to use Mint or Linux, but it always comes back to the games and programs problem. I like Office for Windows.. I am use to it.. Open office means I have to relearn a lot and drives down my productivity. And then there is the games issue. I refuse to run Wine or similar to get my Football Manager, Simcity 5 or Star Wars Old Republic to run on Linux.. it is simply too much work and complicated even for a nerd like me.. rather stare at a wall.

I gotta say, I've never heard anyone in my entire life say they think Open Office is more complex than recent WinOffice releases. I think you're in a pretty small boat on that one.

But as far as games, yeah, it's the perennial issue of Linux. Steam really does seem to want to do it, but it's hard to say how many games they'll do it for. Bring games to Linux, and it's truly competitive in pretty much every way.

Back
Top Bottom