• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

44 years ago today

I was like five. I remember that most of it was BORING.

Of course my aunt and uncle had a POOL! And there were scads of cousins and neighbors about my age all hanging out.

Big crowd watching it on my uncles GIANT color tv. Maybe 26".

For 1969 26" was huge. I was watching a 19" until this year.

I love talking about space with my students. Most of them don't have any idea at all that Earth isn't the only planet. And when we start talking about the moon and I show pictures of Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin walking on the moon and tell them the story -- they're fascinated. One of my favorite times of the school year. :)

I was VERY young and don't remember if I was watching. My mom was a teacher, so I suspect I was. I remember Apollo 12 more clearly.

For 1969 26" was huge. I was watching a 19" until this year.

That's so funny - I was talking about that the other day. When I was a kid, the biggest TV you could get was like a 25". Later on, the 32" came out, and it was huge. Now my kids have 32" TVs in their bedrooms and a 73" in the living room. When our TV died earlier this year, we had to rent one until ours was repaired. It was a 42". We couldn't see a thing. :lol: It was so tiny. We were so used to watching something almost twice as big.

Funny how things change. I remember most of the TVs, too, from my childhood, were the console models. Floor models, they'd sit on the floor with no need for a TV stand.

vintage-television-to-console.jpg

That's so funny - I was talking about that the other day. When I was a kid, the biggest TV you could get was like a 25". Later on, the 32" came out, and it was huge. Now my kids have 32" TVs in their bedrooms and a 73" in the living room. When our TV died earlier this year, we had to rent one until ours was repaired. It was a 42". We couldn't see a thing. :lol: It was so tiny. We were so used to watching something almost twice as big.

Funny how things change. I remember most of the TVs, too, from my childhood, were the console models. Floor models, they'd sit on the floor with no need for a TV stand.

View attachment 67150731

picture looks similiar to the tv i grew up with,even had a playstation 2 hooked up to it as well as a plastation one an xbox 360 and a super nintendo.only problem was it didnt have the standard hookupor rca or composit,it only had the uhf,vhf screw in hookups,so we needed an adapter forit or had to jook a vcr to it to use anything modern.

Just so you know, the flag really sucked. Damn thing doesn't even move.

The flag leaned over but Superman straightened it up

picture looks similiar to the tv i grew up with,even had a playstation 2 hooked up to it as well as a plastation one an xbox 360 and a super nintendo.only problem was it didnt have the standard hookupor rca or composit,it only had the uhf,vhf screw in hookups,so we needed an adapter forit or had to jook a vcr to it to use anything modern.

yeah probably something like an RFU adapter.

Something about those TVs, though - they lasted forever. Seriously. TVs today don't last nearly as long. When I was a kid, it was nothing for a TV to last 20 years. Now we are lucky if they last 3.

View attachment 67150731

Oh, my gosh, those enormous, heavy consoles. I finally have a flat-screen TV (only because the old one died), but I think it's like 20 inches? Every time I go over to this one friend's, I'm amazed all over again by the 64-incher.

I was a kid, but damn right I was watching!!!

I watched them, it was a very exciting time.

Watching?

Heck -- I worked on the set design.
LOL...

We didn't have the technology to fake all those video recordings, 16mm film, and pictures.

Now if you mean simulations... Then my hat's off to you.

I was like five. I remember that most of it was BORING.

Of course my aunt and uncle had a POOL! And there were scads of cousins and neighbors about my age all hanging out.

Big crowd watching it on my uncles GIANT color tv. Maybe 26".
26" TV in 1969?

Wow. I don't think they made them that big, but is they did...

That's one heavy picture tube!

It was a great time to be ten tears old. We were all going to be astronauts.

26" TV in 1969?

Wow. I don't think they made them that big, but is they did...

That's one heavy picture tube!

I was five. It was the biggest one made at the time. Rich uncle.

Gigantic wooden case almost as tall as me.

I was five. It was the biggest one made at the time. Rich uncle.

Gigantic wooden case almost as tall as me.
Just saying I never saw one that big in the 60's, and that it would be very heavy!

Wow...

Back
Top Bottom