• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

$42 For Pecan Pie?

PoS

Minister of Love
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
I was doing some pre-Christmas planning for a party at my place, and the only remaining bakeshop that sells pecan pie (I gotta have it) is selling them at $42. Do you think this is too expensive and I just oughta make my own? What's the price of a pie in your area?

Felis Leo

Moral clarity is needed
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
I was doing some pre-Christmas planning for a party at my place, and the only remaining bakeshop that sells pecan pie (I gotta have it) is selling them at $42. Do you think this is too expensive and I just oughta make my own? What's the price of a pie in your area?

That is far too much. But if you have to have it, then it is a seller's market.

azgreg

Chicks dig the long ball
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
2$ is too much for a pecan pie.

longview

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Make your own, Pecan pie is fairly easy, all though once you see what all goes in it, you may not want to eat it.
The best crust I have found for it is a simple one,
https://www.kraftrecipes.com/recipe/166328/foolproof-philly-pie-crust-recipe

Hanky

Banned
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Private

You must live in NY or Ca. where prices are as high as the people. Around here pecan pie @8.99

ttwtt78640

Sometimes wrong
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian

That (bolded above) is the important question. Is it worth your time and effort to collect the ingredients and then prepare and cook that pie or to simply part with $42? Assuming that an hour of your time is worth something (say $15?) then expending two hours on that 'project' would leave you $12 to secure the ingredients.

Most grocery stores sell frozen (you must bake them) pecan pies for considerably less than $42 yet that is likely not the case in Oceania.

Bucky

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
$25-$35 is the market for a good pie. $40, we must be talking premier pie!

Bucky

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent

Would your friends be able to tell the difference if you bought a $20 pecan pie at your local grocery place and place it in the oven and pass it off as homemade? I doubt it.

chuckiechan

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent

From what know of Oceana it doesn’t sound like ground zero for Moon Pies and R.C.!

You can make one yourself. Pies are only a crust and a filling. And you can probably find premade filling and crusts in the grocery store. And you can get all artsy-fartsy on making the crust vents - smiley faces, Christmas trees.

PoS

Minister of Love
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
That (bolded above) is the important question. Is it worth your time and effort to collect the ingredients and then prepare and cook that pie or to simply part with $42? Assuming that an hour of your time is worth something (say $15?) then expending two hours on that 'project' would leave you $12 to secure the ingredients.

Most grocery stores sell frozen (you must bake them) pecan pies for considerably less than $42 yet that is likely not the case in Oceania.

Hmm, good idea. I guess I'll check out the frozen section at the grocery and see if they have any pecan pies available. If not then I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and pay the forty bucks.

Lursa

Implacable
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent

Go on FB or social media and ask.

Are you on a community FB page or anything? We put out requests for all kinds of stuff, commercial and private.

ecofarm

global liberation
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent

Easy.

Think of the other people wanting some of that pie, your friends, family, someone who might stop by. Is it right that you wager their happiness on your baking? That seems kinda selfish. Best to consider them. Think of the pie as $10 for the pie, and $30 for taking care of other people.

Done. Try to save a piece for someone.

Last edited:

Hawkeye10

Buttermilk Man
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
I thought that I dont care too much for pecan pie till I made one a few years back, Turned out that I had never had a good one. THey are usually too sweet and lack the proper quantity of nuts.

Walnut pie is even better.

No, I would not likely pay $42 for one...unless it was exceptional.

Hawkeye10

Buttermilk Man
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
Well the only way I'd know if it was exceptional is if I buy it and try it, right? ;)

Surely this place has a reputation....and you the pecan pie connoisseur know what a good one looks like and smells like...

PirateMk1

Resident Martian ;)
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Private
Well the only way I'd know if it was exceptional is if I buy it and try it, right? ;)

Buy 2. Sacrifice yourself for the good of your guests by being the guinea pig doing the QA QC work necessary to determine the quality and fitness for purpose these $42.00 pies will be. It will be hard, but you can do it. ;)

Lovebug

Be humble and kind
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
There's pecan pie and there is pecan pie, quality ingredients are key. $ 42 is too much either way, although good pecans sell for over $ 30/lb.

Arby

Deplorable
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
$15 from local Amish store. I don't like Pecan pie, but they say they're good.
The Cherry Crumb is excellent though.

Ikari

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Left

For 45 dollars you can make your own pie.

Top Bottom