• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

$42 For Pecan Pie?

I was doing some pre-Christmas planning for a party at my place, and the only remaining bakeshop that sells pecan pie (I gotta have it) is selling them at $42. Do you think this is too expensive and I just oughta make my own? What's the price of a pie in your area?

Red: No.

Blue:
I don't really know. I live in D.C. feel free to call Dean and Deluca or Whole Foods and ask. Alternatively, you can Google for prices, or even pre-made pecan pies.

Dean and Deluca sell pecan pies for $70.

850671.jpg

"We've had a lot of pecan pie, yet Southern Baked Pie Co.'s version, made from a recipe passed down through the generations, tops our list. It's chock full of roasted Georgia pecans, mixed with rich caramel and baked until golden in an all-butter crust."​

FWIW, as deserts go, pecan pie isn't at all a hard one to DIY and do well because doing so is basically a set of savory cooking techniques rather than pastry ones. The only real trick is the pie crust, and you can buy one pre-made.

You presume the person in question has the ability to boil water. I suggest not assuming this as I have a family member who managed to charcoal a vegetable in the attempt to boil it. It was to be honest an impressive feat. Some people would starve if there were no restaurant or premade food about.

I was doing some pre-Christmas planning for a party at my place, and the only remaining bakeshop that sells pecan pie (I gotta have it) is selling them at $42. Do you think this is too expensive and I just oughta make my own? What's the price of a pie in your area?

Is this your very first time to ever buy a pecan pie?

I had to Google this, do a littler research and forty dollars for a pie is on the low end if you're buying from a bakery.

Don't think you've said where you live. In Southern States Tippin's is a good source for pies and a pecan pie would cost you around twenty dollars. If you don't live in the South and have to have the pie delivered, the shipping cost is going to bring the price way up.

Looks like you need to start practicing baking pies, lol. Not all pecan pies taste the same and crust is very important. Even a pie for forty dollars may not be the best. My grandmother made the best pecan pie ever and I've had many others that just did not compare. If I were you I would ask for a taste of that forty dollar pie and see if you like it and if you do fork over the money. A good pecan pie is worth forty dollars and if you tried to make the pie, I'm sure it will take a lot of practice to get it right. A good New Years resolution for you would be to start baking pies so next year you won't have this problem. Get that crust right.

Google it.
https://www.google.com/search?q=pec...653fAhWD94MKHS_0An4Q_AUIDygC&biw=1472&bih=778

First one.....
$59.99
+$3.79 tax and $13.99 shipping
Harry & David

https://www.harryanddavid.com/h/bak...ioLje5cgUmirQC-sfDfOUybpMGEQQ7WhoCgVQQAvD_BwE

Too much unless a happy ending comes with it.

My wife was on my case to drive the east side of Detroit (we live in the far west side suburbs) and go to a place called SISTER PIES which supposedly has the best pies in Michigan. So we did and bought a $29 pie that was a combination of chocolate and crushed nuts and pecan paste. It was good - but for $29 bucks I beter get dinner with my pie.

$42 seems like you should get at least two of them - even the really good gourmet kind.

Why do you HAVE to have Pecan pie? Will you die if you didn't? Shop around for cheaper pies or buy a different pie.

Or - gasp - donate $42 to a worthy charity. You might be able to feed a whole family or even more with that money.

2$ is too much for a pecan pie.

You obviously either don't like Pecans/Pecan Pie, or you've not ever actually eaten a good Pecan Pie (try one made by a Southern Lady).

A good Southern style Pecan Pie is like sex on a plate.

IMHO.

Make your own, Pecan pie is fairly easy, all though once you see what all goes in it, you may not want to eat it.
The best crust I have found for it is a simple one,
https://www.kraftrecipes.com/recipe/166328/foolproof-philly-pie-crust-recipe

My kid can barely make toast but was forced to bake pecan pies last holiday season, and they are so incredibly simple to make that even she didn't screw them up. No need for a homemade crust either; Pillsbury sells the crust dough, and Kroger and other big chains have their own versions.

Surely this place has a reputation....and you the pecan pie connoisseur know what a good one looks like and smells like...

Its a hipster gourmet bakeshop/cafe for the intelligentsia. ;) High priced stuff like nutella cronuts, triple layered choc cake and stuff. I've tried their other pastries and theyre not bad.

Is this your very first time to ever buy a pecan pie?
Obviously not. There was another bakeshop that sold them for about $30-35 but they closed. This other place is the only one within range that I found.

Too much unless a happy ending comes with it.
Sadly this season is the time when the boom boom girls go home to their relatives so I doubt I'll get some till around New Years. :2razz:

Why do you HAVE to have Pecan pie? Will you die if you didn't?
Yes. :mrgreen: When I was a kid and spent Christmas at my Grandma's in the East Coast, there was always pecan pie in the fridge along with other goodies like ham, so it's a tradition to me.

For 45 dollars you can make your own pie.

Not counting the pecans and depending what you have on hand (vanilla, eggs, Karo/corn syrup, brown sugar, butter/margarine, frozen pie crust or pre-made pie dough), you can make your own pie for under $4.50. And even if you have never baked before, the recipe is so simple that you can't fail. Here is Southern Living's, and it has a 1.22 video that shows the entire super-easy process: https://www.southernliving.com/recipes/pecan-pie-recipe

Biggest decision you have is whether to buy pecan halves or bits and pieces. Video shows halves being chopped up, and what is the point of this?!

I'm assuming you're not on a tight budget.
If your heart is really set on a pecan pie - why not have a little splurge on it. Go for it!

Creating memories - something to reminisce later on (about the time I spent 42 bucks on a pecan pie)!
Worth it? Or, not? At least, it isn't more than $50 bucks. :)

Only after you've had it and tasted it yourself, can you determine if it's worth the $42 bucks.

Boy....pecan pie is on my list this Christmas. I'm not good at baking - so, I'll just buy one.
We like the Costco pecan pie - and if I'm not mistaken, it cost under $20.00 CAD.

Depending on how good at baking you are - if you make it yourself, will you enjoy it?
Because if it didn't turn out good and you did not enjoy it, even if it cost only a fraction of that store pie -
it would have been money wasted indeed.

Uh.....I just read this:

Well I could make some, but I suck at cooking any kind of dessert.

Just buy it.
Satisfy that sweet-tooth craving and get it out of your system! :)

Last edited:
Well, if you think $42 is a good deal for a pie, I have a few of these lemon cookies I'll sell ya for $20.00. I got the recipe from the Great British Bake thing on Netflix. They're great. I think I have three left. I'll go check...

Nope. Only two left now. But I can point to exactly where the third one went. It's right about here. Gravity wins all these things.

For $42 you can buy 84 pecan pies at Walmart:

The Bakery Mini Pecan Pie, 4", 1 Count
Average rating :4.5759 out of 5 stars, based on 191 reviews
Walmart # 009862469
$0.50
$0.16 / oz

PecanPie.jpg

$42 for a pecan pie?

No thank you....I like pie, not for $42......at that price it better brush my teeth on the way in and wipe my backside on the way out.

You must live in NY or Ca. where prices are as high as the people. Around here pecan pie @8.99

Yea I live in NY and the local Shoprite with a bakery has a Pecan Pie for $6.49. Prices are as high as the people. What a dope.

Hmm, good idea. I guess I'll check out the frozen section at the grocery and see if they have any pecan pies available. If not then I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and pay the forty bucks.

Our local BJ's or Sams Club has good baked goods as well as the grocery store.

Try Costco. 70 ounces. And they'll deliver.

Back
Top Bottom