• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

18-25 and Selective Service - Are You Ready?

No, not any I've seen. IMO, it will be needed if we go to war with Russia

A single BCT would be enough to kill the Russian drive in Donbas at this rate.

I'm speaking strategically. We are not adequately prepared to fight 2 different wars, over Ukraine and Taiwan.

The war in Ukraine is proceeding along just fine without the involvement of US troops.

Not talking about war. Dude is claiming a draft would prevent mass shootings.

I guess he thinks none every happened when we had a draft.
Mass shootings was extremely rare before 1960 and guns were a plenty

1653440514090.png

Conscientious objection requires some kind of religious or moral opposition to the military/war.

People should be able to not serve for no other reason than they don’t want to.

Forced service is forced service.
That isn't how it works. We would be a nation full of illiterate morons if we gave children that option. As a citizen of a country you have a civic duty to that country. If you lack all honor and want to shirk your civic duty I would suggest you find another country. Like those dishonorable leftist scum who ran away like cowards to Canada during the Vietnam war.

Like those dishonorable leftist scum who ran away like cowards to Canada during the Vietnam war.

There is no greater cause in this world than to give your life in a foreign civil war against an enemy that poses no serious threat to the United States.

If a war causes worldwide food insecurity, the fat, lazy ones would have the advantage of increased muscle mass and better fat stores. They could possibly go longer without food.

So, you never know. That food you're overeating may save your life.

The Doritos defense. I like it!

I have not seen any real calls for a draft , this seems a little premature considering we maintained 2 wars for a decade and one for 20 years without needing to call anyone up to serve
Did those include China? I think that's the implication here, is that if something happens with China, then there with be NK to add in there and Russia would likely do a much more significant push that flattens everything. I don't know what the likelihood of that is but I think that's the premise of the OP.

That isn't how it works. We would be a nation full of illiterate morons if we gave children that option. As a citizen of a country you have a civic duty to that country. If you lack all honor and want to shirk your civic duty I would suggest you find another country. Like those dishonorable leftist scum who ran away like cowards to Canada during the Vietnam war.

Comparing school with forcing people to kill other people on pain of prison or even execution is not even remotely reasonable.

I served VOLUNTARILY. DURING WAR TIME AND DEPLOYED. Go **** yourself saying I lack honor.

We don’t need slaves. We need professionals who want to serve. And if we don’t have enough, we should increase pay and benefits until we do.

You were never forced to live on a military base while you served? You are lying if you are claiming that.
No. I was never forced to live on a military base while I served on active duty with the Marine Corps. I had an apartment in Oceanside. I showed up for "work" every morning, and drove home in the evening.

The first couple of years I did live on base, but only because I couldn't afford to live off base and I was living in another country at the time (Okinawa). When I returned back from Okinawa in 1974, I got my apartment in Oceanside.

So not zero. I wonder how much that chart maps to income inequality?
What does that have to do with the fact before 1960 mass shootings was extremely rare?

The only one I can think of off the top of my head was the Saint Valentines massacre in Chicago 7 people killed in 1929

No. I was never forced to live on a military based while I served on active duty with the Marine Corps. I had an apartment in Oceanside. I showed up for "work" every morning, and drove home in the evening.

The first couple of years I did live on base, but only because I couldn't afford to live off base and I was living in another country at the time (Okinawa). When I returned back from Okinawa in 1974, I got my apartment in Oceanside.

Really? You weren’t forced to live on base during boot camp? You could have chosen to go home during that time?

Or are you going to argue that somehow doesn’t count now?

Comparing school with forcing people to kill other people on pain of prison or even execution is not even remotely reasonable.

I served VOLUNTARILY. DURING WAR TIME AND DEPLOYED. Go **** yourself saying I lack honor.

We don’t need slaves. We need professionals who want to serve. And if we don’t have enough, we should increase pay and benefits until we do.
You obviously can't read either apparently. I never said you lacked honor. I said "If you lack all honor and want to shirk your civic duty..." Because that is what it requires to disregard one's civic duty, a complete lack of all honor.

Learn to read and get a clue.

You obviously can't read either apparently. I never said you lacked honor. I said "If you lack all honor and want to shirk your civic duty..." Because that is what it requires to disregard one's civic duty, a complete lack of all honor.

Learn to read and get a clue.

So to be clear, you are saying every single person in the US right now who doesn’t serve is lacking civic duty and needs to leave the country?

Our country would have been better off if everyone the government tried to enslave over the Vietnam War would have refused service and forced the government to withdraw from that conflict. It was wrong and people were right to oppose it.

Or the draft dodging Bill Clinton. Trump was also a Democrat when he dodged the draft. Democrats have no honor, as both former presidents have demonstrated.

Also, don't forget to include women in the draft. Now that Congress has allowed women to assume combat MOS's, they must be included in both signing up for Selective Service, and any draft that may take place in the future.
Trump was a Democrat when he dodged the draft?

Pretzel calisthenics much?

No. I was never forced to live on a military base while I served on active duty with the Marine Corps. I had an apartment in Oceanside. I showed up for "work" every morning, and drove home in the evening.

What a dumb post, did you commute in whatever they call basic?

You misspelled French!
No, I didn't. Our involvement with Vietnam began with Democrat President Truman. When he sold the French US WW II military surplus. Our involvement increased under Republican President Eisenhower to 2,000 US troops by 1960, and then Democrat President JFK increased that number 10 fold to 20,000 by Nov. 1963. However, it took Democrat President Johnson's deliberate lie to Congress to make Vietnam officially a war in Aug. 1964.

Trump was a Democrat when he dodged the draft?

Pretzel calisthenics much?
Trump was a NYC Democrat until 2012, when he officially registered as a Republican so he could run as a Republican candidate for President in 2016.

NOTE: There was a brief period when Trump was a registered Reform Party member, when he campaigned for President under the Reform Party in 2000. However, after he lost he reverted back to the Democratic Party, where he remained until 2012.

No, I didn't. Our involvement with Vietnam began with Democrat President Truman. When he sold the French US WW II military surplus. Our involvement increased under Republican President Eisenhower to 2,000 US troops by 1960, and then Democrat President JFK increased that number 10 fold to 20,000 by Nov. 1963. However, it took Democrat President Johnson's deliberate lie to Congress to make Vietnam officially a war in Aug. 1964.

And it all could have been avoided if we told de Gaulle to go to hell when he demanded Indochina back after the French abandoned it to the Japanese when Ho Chi Minh had spent 5 years fighting the Japanese.

We should have supported Ho Chi Minh in 1945 rather than propping up colonialism and then later a military dictatorship.

There is no greater cause in this world than to give your life in a foreign civil war against an enemy that poses no serious threat to the United States.

We haven’t fought a foe which poses a serious threat to the US in over seventy years

And it all could have been avoided if we told de Gaulle to go to hell when he demanded Indochina back after the French abandoned it to the Japanese when Ho Chi Minh had spent 5 years fighting the Japanese.
As we should have, but that wasn't Truman's style. Ho Chi Minh was educated in France, so he was very much a product of their making.

We should have supported Ho Chi Minh in 1945 rather than propping up colonialism and then later a military dictatorship.
We shouldn't have gotten involved at all, but the attitude towards communism at that time was considerably different than it is today. Let's not forget that this was a time when Democrats were using Congress against Americans. Much like what Biden and his DOJ is doing to Americans now. I'm referring specifically to the Democrat-controlled House Un-American Activities Committee. What is mistakenly referred to as "McCarthyism" by uneducated morons today.

You think Joe wants to keep it that way?

I'd love for us to go in and destroy the Russian invasion. But the Biden Administration's knows that's not possible with the threat of nuclear war.

Back
Top Bottom