• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

18-25 and Selective Service - Are You Ready?

How about during Vietnam when we needed the draft?
I am all for the draft. Universal draft.

Zero exceptions for the rich and powerful like draft dodging Trump.

Why are you for enslaving people and ruining the quality of our highly professional military?

How about during Vietnam when we needed the draft?

We didn’t need the draft in Vietnam. In fact the conventional strategy we attempted and the massive troops build up was incredibly counter-productive and actively hurt the programs that were working (the special operations programs).

Draftees would not improve the situation. Neither would be a land war fought with human waves of conscripts.

Drafting soldiers isn’t going to make ships and aircraft appear from thin air.

You seriously have no ****ing clue about modern warfare.
👍

But I'm talking about the draft needed 1964-1973.
The draft wasn't needed in 1964 to 1973 either. I know, I served in the Marine Corps from 1972 until 1980. I originally volunteered just after my 18th birthday, but my parents still forwarded me my draft notice while I was going through Marine Corps boot camp. Nixon had already begun pulling troops out of Vietnam by 1972. I, for example, was sent to Okinawa instead of Vietnam.

There was no need for the draft at all since WW II. Primarily because we should never have been in Vietnam to begin with. We have the Democrats to thank for that war.

Why are you for enslaving people and ruining the quality of our highly professional military?
I am not for enslaving people.

A year in service isn't too much to ask. It's good for them.

And Israel and Switzerland have highly professional militaries......and universal draft.

Plus.....if politicians knew their kids and grandkids could be on the front lines they would have a more careful foreign policy and there would be fewer wars.

I must have missed the RT Outreach draft panic thing back in March.

The draft wasn't needed in 1964 to 1973 either. I know, I served in the Marine Corps from 1972 until 1980. I originally volunteered just after my 18th birthday, but my parents still forwarded me my draft notice while I was going through Marine Corps boot camp. Nixon had already begun pulling troops out of Vietnam by 1972. I, for example, was sent to Okinawa instead of Vietnam.

There was no need for the draft at all since WW II. Primarily because we should never have been in Vietnam to begin with. We have the Democrats to thank for that war.
You misspelled French!

I am not for enslaving people.

A year in service isn't too much to ask. It's good for them.

And Israel and Switzerland have highly professional militaries......and universal draft.

Switzerland’s military hasn’t been tested in more than a century and Israel avoids using its conscripted units for everything but defensive operations wherever it can today.

Would people who didn’t want to be drafted be able to say “no I don’t want to” or would they be forced into service? Because “forced servitude” is SLAVERY.

It doesn’t matter if slavery is for a year or for life. It’s wrong either way.

And to the point: a year of military time would mean maybe 3-6 months of actual service. Do you have any idea how long training takes for modern military roles?

Or the draft dodging Bill Clinton. Trump was also a Democrat when he dodged the draft. Democrats have no honor, as both former presidents have demonstrated.

Also, don't forget to include women in the draft. Now that Congress has allowed women to assume combat MOS's, they must be included in both signing up for Selective Service, and any draft that may take place in the future.

Switzerland’s military hasn’t been tested in more than a century and Israel avoids using its conscripted units for everything but defensive operations wherever it can today.

Would people who didn’t want to be drafted be able to say “no I don’t want to” or would they be forced into service? Because “forced servitude” is SLAVERY.
And?

if politicians knew their kids and grandkids could be on the front lines they would have a more careful foreign policy and there would be fewer wars.

Or the draft dodging Bill Clinton. Trump was also a Democrat when he dodged the draft. Democrats have no honor, as both former presidents have demonstrated.

Also, don't forget to include women in the draft. Now that Congress has allowed women to assume combat MOS's, they must be included in both signing up for Selective Service, and any draft that may take place in the future.
Lol

Typical.

And?

if politicians knew their kids and grandkids could be on the front lines they would have a more careful foreign policy and there would be fewer wars.

Why would they be on the front lines? You don’t think politicians can make sure their kids get assigned to rear echelon units?

All you would be doing is enslaving lots of innocent people just punish a couple hundred politicians’ kids.

Also, where do you get the idea that politicians are scared to send their kids to war? It happened ALL THE TIME in the 19th Century. They would just go back to that mindset.

A while back I read somewhere that a large percentage of American males are soft and in such poor physical condition that they would not qualify for military service. True? I have no idea.

If we reach a point now or in the foreseeable future that the draft would be necessary I suspect it will be too late. The draft likely won't be of much use during a nuclear war. The young ones who might survive won't be the soft fat ones.

Nonetheless, your OP is a good one. The answers you receive may be very interesting.

If a war causes worldwide food insecurity, the fat, lazy ones would have the advantage of increased muscle mass and better fat stores. They could possibly go longer without food.

So, you never know. That food you're overeating may save your life.

Ok.. By some of the activity here its clear we do have a young demographic element at DP. That's a good thing as we all should want a perspective that covers a broad segment of our society.

I'm curious what the 18-25 year old's think about the draft?

Are you ready to go and fight Joe's war?

Maybe pull a 60's era move and head for Canada?

Again, curious as I'm an old goat. Just wondering about you younger cats who may face the draft if the worst happens.

Oh, and hats off to those that would sign up anyway.

=================================

Selective Service​

Learn how a military draft works and find out if and how you need to register for Selective Service.

The Draft​

A draft is the mandatory enrollment of individuals into the armed forces. The United States military has been all-volunteer since 1973. But an act of Congress could still reinstate the draft in case of a national emergency. The Selective Service System is the agency that registers men and is responsible for running a draft.

Who Must Register with Selective Service​

• Almost all men ages 18-25 who are U.S. citizens or are immigrants living in the U.S. are required to register with Selective Service. Citizens must register within 30 days of turning 18. Immigrants must register within 30 days of arriving in the U.S.
  • Men in the U.S. on student, visitor, or diplomatic visas and men who are incarcerated are not required to register. For other exemptions and for transgender people, see the Who Must Register (PDF, Download Adobe Reader) chart.

I think illegal aliens should be included

And to the point: a year of military time would mean maybe 3-6 months of actual service. Do you have any idea how long training takes for modern military roles?
Conscription does not necessarily mean an inferior military. There was no distinction made between those who were drafted and those who volunteered in the US military, when the draft was still active. They were all trained exactly the same.

Compulsory attendance is not "forced servitude." Schooling is required, and children are not slaves. A country may draft soldiers, or make its military voluntary, it also does not constitute slavery. You clearly don't know the meaning of the word.

The minimum time of service when the draft was still in effect in the US was two years. That was long enough, with one or two months to spare, to receive training and spend one tour of duty (13 months) in a combat zone.

I think illegal aliens should be included
Actually, that is a path toward US citizenship. However, they must be legal. Any foreigner may apply to serve on active duty with any branch of the US military. Upon completion of service, with an honorable discharge, they can become US citizens. After the 09/11/2001 attack Bush reduced the amount of time one must serve on active duty to become a naturalized US citizen. I served with a German citizen who was did precisely that, and that was back in the 1970s.

For more information on the subject see:

Conscription does not necessarily mean an inferior military. There was no distinction made between those who were drafted and those who volunteered in the US military, when the draft was still active. They were all trained exactly the same.

Compulsory attendance is not "forced servitude." Schooling is required, and children are not slaves. A country may draft soldiers, or make its military voluntary, it also does not constitute slavery. You clearly don't know the meaning of the word.

The minimum time of service when the draft was still in effect in the US was two years. That was long enough, with one or two months to spare, to receive training and spend one tour of duty (13 months) in a combat zone.

Kids aren’t forced to live at school and kill students from other schools.

Conscription is slavery. It is literally forced servitude.

If you want more people to serve, pay them more. Pay for that by massive increasing taxes on the 1%.

Maybe the draft or say two years of service and people would have more respect for each other and not go on mass shootings or kill each other in the hood.

Maybe the draft or say two years of service and people would have more respect for each other and not go on mass shootings or kill each other in the hood.

Fun fact, there was no mass violence or organized crime in the US when there was a draft. No a single event of either.

Kids aren’t forced to live at school and kill students from other schools.
I wasn't forced to live on a military base either, and if you are a conscientious objector you don't even have to join the military. Like I said, you are utterly clueless.

I wasn't forced to live on a military base either, and if you are a conscientious objector you don't even have to join the military. Like I said, you are utterly clueless.

Conscientious objection requires some kind of religious or moral opposition to the military/war.

People should be able to not serve for no other reason than they don’t want to.

Forced service is forced service.

You mean WW II never happened? Boy, won't historians be surprised.
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Not talking about war. Dude is claiming a draft would prevent mass shootings.

I guess he thinks none every happened when we had a draft.

You were never forced to live on a military base while you served? You are lying if you are claiming that.

Back
Top Bottom