• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

10-year-old upset about waking up early/headset guns down mother; charged as an adult

Apparently

Look, it's ignorant as **** to believe the death penalty deters crime. End of story.

It is possible, we may note, to be even more stupid. That's to believe the brutality of the death penalty determines crime deterrence.

As a political body, I don't think there's any laws we can pass to prevent this. This could happen in any country.

"The boy was allegedly mad at his mom for waking him up early and not letting him have something on Amazon, according to a criminal complaint."

I wonder how he would have hurt his mother if he did not have a gun

Look, it's ignorant as **** to believe the death penalty deters crime. End of story.

It is possible, we may note, to be even more stupid. That's to believe the brutality of the death penalty determines crime deterrence.
Like I said...for normal people it does. Hell, the possibility of just going to jail stops many normal people from committing crimes.

Maybe laws aren't the solution. Better mental health resources aimed at identifying such individuals and developong improved treatment options would go a long way.
Who would have identified a 10 year old as a possible murderer

I got it from the literature. The old assumption that 'psychopaths' are without empathy is demonstrably false.

Your reference does not refute what I have said.

“Psychopathy is a personality disorder characterized by a lack of empathy and remorse, shallow affect, glibness, manipulation and callousness.”

“To better understand the neurological basis of empathy dysfunction in psychopaths, neuroscientists used functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI) on the brains of 121 inmates of a medium-security prison in the USA.

Participants were shown visual scenarios illustrating physical pain, such as a finger caught between a door, or a toe caught under a heavy object. They were by turns invited to imagine that this accident happened to themselves, or somebody else. They were also shown control images that did not depict any painful situation, for example a hand on a doorknob.

Participants were assessed with the widely used PCL-R, a diagnostic tool to identify their degree of psychopathic tendencies. Based on this assessment, the participants were then divided in three groups of approximately 40 individuals each: highly, moderately, and weakly psychopathic.

When highly psychopathic participants imagined pain to themselves, they showed a typical neural response within the brain regions involved in empathy for pain, including the anterior insula, the anterior midcingulate cortex, somatosensory cortex, and the right amygdala. The increase in brain activity in these regions was unusually pronounced, suggesting that psychopathic people are sensitive to the thought of pain.

But when participants imagined pain to others, these regions failed to become active in high psychopaths. Moreover, psychopaths showed an increased response in the ventral striatum, an area known to be involved in pleasure, when imagining others in pain.”

Do you think there are evil kids that have come from very normal loving homes?
Yes, I’ve witnessed children who have sincere emotional/psychological issues where you may want to call them “evil” that have very normal, loving homes and sometimes very normal, loving siblings. I’ve seen parents have to have one child committed to keep other children in their home safe. It’s gut wrenching.

If you're installing cameras to watch your little damian, you have waited too long to deal with the problem appropriately.

Also, probably should secure your firearms better.
Yeah…I don’t understand why you’d have any guns in the house with a kid you have to install cameras for.

This boy obviously has very significant mental health issues - perhaps an oppositional defiant disorder, a disassociative disorder or even true sociopathy or perhaps psychopathy. It is incredibly hard to get those diagnosis, especially at such a young age. And it’s costly, time consuming and requires an extraordinary level of persistence and dedication to get these kids the help they need desperately. Our society is not at all set up to deal with that level of struggles, especially at such a young age.

I’m heart broken reading this story. His life is completely destroyed and his mother is dead…and I’d be willing to bet that there is long history here. This child obviously needed extensive interventions that were never received.

So incredibly sad.

Or Donald Trump's. If they were still alive. But his niece, Mary Trump, a psychologist (or psychiatrist) can supply you with some answers.

I don’t need a psychiatrist (especially one with personal animus towards her uncle) to know that Donald Trump is a narcissistic megalomaniac devoid of conscience.

Thats not a "waste" though.
Hey....how about our billion$$$ in welfare annually to Israel? And maybe repeal those tax cuts...you betcha!!
"Climate" billions will do absolutely nothing. It's money wasted on virtue signaling. I'm sure it will benefit the friends of congress critters or their donors. You don't get huge mansions like Joe has passing legislation that helps the everyday American.

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that this isn't a mental health issue. I bet it is bad parenting coming back on the parent.
Plenty of mental health issues begin with bad parenting, or from parents who themselves have mental health issues.

Waste? Do you not see what is actually going on around you? By the time the right in country will wake up it will be way too late, if its not already.
Do you seriously believe that money will impact the climate in any measurable way? :rolleyes:

You don't need to identify him as a murderer. You need to identify him as needing professional help.

So, how do mental healthcare professionals identify people that meet all of the identifying criteria of psychopathy?
Psychopathy is not a diagnosis. There are a wide range of diagnoses that fall into that very broad category. We almost never use the term except in the most broad conversation

If the reports of this kid swinging the dog around by the tail at age four are true I would say that some warning signs were there. Wouldn’t necessarily go full on future murder, but there does appear to have been red flags that this kid needed serious help

As a political body, I don't think there's any laws we can pass to prevent this. This could happen in any country.

"The boy was allegedly mad at his mom for waking him up early and not letting him have something on Amazon, according to a criminal complaint."

Horrible story.

That said, a 10 year old is under no circumstances an adult.

In a world of stubbornly and purposefully stupid statements the above reigns supreme.
Answer my question what good was keeping the gun in safe if you are too stupid to keep the key safe from a 10 year old? That defeats the purpose of having the safe.

If the reports of this kid swinging the dog around by the tail at age four are true I would say that some warning signs were there. Wouldn’t necessarily go full on future murder, but there does appear to have been red flags that this kid needed serious help
And he should have not had access to a gun. Wouldn't you agree? Where was the boys father? If he was living there he should be charged with manslaughter.

Do you seriously believe that money will impact the climate in any measurable way? :rolleyes:
Money impacts everything else, why can it not impact climate decisions? I do know one thing, it won't be the petroleum industry spending billions trying to clean up our emissions.

Answer my question what good was keeping the gun in safe if you are too stupid to keep the key safe from a 10 year old? That defeats the purpose of having the safe.
Ok you convinced me we should not have safe storage laws.

Got nothing to do with 2A; parental malfeasance is the culprit.

Yeah, these things would happen even if the parents had no guns because they were not available. 🤡

Ok you convinced me we should not have safe storage laws.
Not if people are going to leave the key to the gun safe where children can find it. Oh and we do not have a Federal safe storage law, it is up to the States and even then the law is rarely enforced.

New research by Carmel Salhi, a Northeastern professor, shows that 70 percent of parents believe their children cannot access the guns they keep in their homes. The children tell a different story.
More than one-third of adolescents (ages 13 to 17) say they could gain access in less than five minutes to a loaded firearm kept in the home, and half could gain access in 60 minutes or less.

“It was really shocking to see that half of the children in homes with guns reported being able to get to a loaded gun in under an hour,” says Salhi, an assistant professor of health sciences, in reference to another key finding.

https://news.northeastern.edu/2021/...-access-to-guns-than-their-parents-may-think/

Not if people are going to leave the key to the gun safe where children can find it. Oh and we do not have a Federal safe storage law, it is up to the States and even then the law is rarely enforced.

New research by Carmel Salhi, a Northeastern professor, shows that 70 percent of parents believe their children cannot access the guns they keep in their homes. The children tell a different story.
More than one-third of adolescents (ages 13 to 17) say they could gain access in less than five minutes to a loaded firearm kept in the home, and half could gain access in 60 minutes or less.

“It was really shocking to see that half of the children in homes with guns reported being able to get to a loaded gun in under an hour,” says Salhi, an assistant professor of health sciences, in reference to another key finding.

https://news.northeastern.edu/2021/...-access-to-guns-than-their-parents-may-think/
Never had kids find anything you thought you hide well

Yeah, these things would happen even if the parents had no guns because they were not available. 🤡
Yeah, and if frogs could fly they wouldn't bump their butts. :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom