• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

10 Reasons Trump will win in 2020

I know republicans to this day who will not say they voted for Trump. They always say some variation of they voted against Hillary/the democrats.
Interesting, though I do believe that. On the flipside, I've got life-long Democrat family members who voted for Trump and proudly proclaimed it to all. Different strokes for different folks.

That is getting me pissed, too. The inability to debate in real life without taking it personal. I've got a Trumper neighbor that is that way - he takes any Trump debate as serious attacks of some sort. This is compounded by his insisting on using fake facts, getting insulted if you don't accept them. He won't discuss politics or much of anything else with me anymore, while we still politely say 'Hi' and 'Bye'. But what can I do, when he approaches me and talks nonsense? Simply nod my head? If he can't handle truth, it's not my problem.

He needs to find someone who will believe his delusions, and I'm not the guy. I can accept him as my neighbor, even if he doesn't know what he's talking about; it's no big deal to me. But he can't seem to accept that I don't think like him. No idea why.

The state of political debate with Trump supporters on DP.
Just change the names.

crybabies violent.jpg

Remarkable especially because support for impeachment AND removal was NINETEEN percent for Nixon at this stage.
We haven't even BEGUN the actual IMPEACHMENT, just the INQUIRY, and it's already fifty percent.
I don't see the numbers moving much, to be honest. But then again, it doesn't take much movement when Trump won his 3 key swingstates by 71K between them. That's what this is about.

Interesting, though I do believe that. On the flipside, I've got life-long Democrat family members who voted for Trump and proudly proclaimed it to all. Different strokes for different folks.

I know a few Never Hillary democrats. Some were Bernie supporters and some were just Never Hillary period. A also know a few democrats who supported Trump over illegal immigration. I really have yet to meet in the real world a loud and proud Trump supporter. I live in the south. I live in a fairly conservative area and I have yet to see a real MAGA hat on a real person's head with my own two eyes.

That is getting me pissed, too. The inability to debate in real life without taking it personal. I've got a Trumper neighbor that is that way - he takes any Trump debate as serious attacks of some sort. This is compounded by his insisting on using fake facts, getting insulted if you don't accept them. He won't discuss politics or much of anything else with me anymore, while we still politely say 'Hi' and 'Bye'. But what can I do, when he approaches me and talks nonsense? Simply nod my head? If he can't handle truth, it's not my problem.

He needs to find someone who will believe his delusions, and I'm not the guy. I can accept him as my neighbor, even if he doesn't know what he's talking about; it's no big deal to me. But he can't seem to accept that I don't think like him. No idea why.

Here is what I do.

Oh...that is interesting, where did you hear that?
Oh, source X said it? That is different from what I have heard. How exactly did source X verify that?
Hm... interesting...I do have some concerns. Would you say it is reasonable for me to wonder about point A, point B, and point C?
An alternative view I have heard is view Y, do you think it could be plausible?
Why is it bad if some people believe view Y over your view?

In essence I use Socratic questions to get them to talk about the assumptions behind what they believe. Once they become more aware that their beliefs are built on assumptions it takes some wind out of the sails and more down to earth talk is often easier. The goal is to not own a position one way or the other and approach it with as much genuine curiosity as possible. People who go into debates planning to change minds or rehash talking points are unprepared for this kind of inquiry and a few even run from it.

The state of political debate with Trump supporters on DP.
Just change the names.

View attachment 67269222
When you tell some that their facts are wrong, you shake the very pillars of their existence. That's the only thing I can think of occurring with my neighbor.

As for me, ever since I can remember I wanted to know how the world worked. I sort of have a thirst for knowledge, and just accept it. So while I cling to some core values, I consider the facts around me to be things to be discovered, things that are often in flux. If I find something factually different than I believed, I welcome gaining the knowledge and move on.

So to me facts are just bits of information that are often transient and developing, whereas my values are what I cling to as my core foundation. Consequently, I'm perplexed by those that cling to facts as core tenets; facts are only what we perceive, and perceptions sometimes change. They seem to be precarious things to hold on to.

Here is what I do.

Oh...that is interesting, where did you hear that?
Oh, source X said it? That is different from what I have heard. How exactly did source X verify that?
Hm... interesting...I do have some concerns. Would you say it is reasonable for me to wonder about point A, point B, and point C?
An alternative view I have heard is view Y, do you think it could be plausible?
Why is it bad if some people believe view Y over your view?

In essence I use Socratic questions to get them to talk about the assumptions behind what they believe. Once they become more aware that their beliefs are built on assumptions it takes some wind out of the sails and more down to earth talk is often easier. The goal is to not own a position one way or the other and approach it with as much genuine curiosity as possible. People who go into debates planning to change minds or rehash talking points are unprepared for this kind of inquiry and a few even run from it.
Well, thanks for the advice. I'm familiar with Socratic Method.

In this case this guy just seems to be focused on justifying his motivations. He's reasonably intelligent, and I really can't see him believing much of what he tells me. I suspect he is simply trying to justify his prejudices. There's a lot with Trump & MAGA that is hard to justify, so they seem to invent these delusional theories. I'd respect more if he simply told me,

"I don't give a ****, I like what Trump is doing"

I can understand that, and respect his honesty. But I can't understand him trying to get me to believe delusional theories.

I know a few Never Hillary democrats. Some were Bernie supporters and some were just Never Hillary period. A also know a few democrats who supported Trump over illegal immigration. I really have yet to meet in the real world a loud and proud Trump supporter. I live in the south. I live in a fairly conservative area and I have yet to see a real MAGA hat on a real person's head with my own two eyes.
Well, that's pretty interesting. To be honest, I lately only see a few MAGA hats up north too. But I must admit I do know some Trump supporters, including a couple in my family, who do brag about voting for Trump. Some will proclaim they don't like what Trump does, but some won't even give it a second's thought. They think Trump is great, and that's that!

Well, that's pretty interesting. To be honest, I lately only see a few MAGA hats up north too. But I must admit I do know some Trump supporters, including a couple in my family, who do brag about voting for Trump. Some will proclaim they don't like what Trump does, but some won't even give it a second's thought. They think Trump is great, and that's that!

We take our hats serious here in the south. Those MAGA hats look like ill fitting dollar store crap that won't hold a proper fishhook on the bill :lol:

In this case this guy just seems to be focused on justifying his motivations. He's reasonably intelligent, and I really can't see him believing much of what he tells me. I suspect he is simply trying to justify his prejudices. There's a lot with Trump & MAGA that is hard to justify, so they seem to invent these delusional theories. I'd respect more if he simply told me,

I can understand that, and respect his honesty. But I can't understand him trying to get me to believe delusional theories.

I would guess because it is easier and he is a cognitive miser.

Ain't never seen a Maga hat south of the lake. Maybe rural Tampa has them.

When you tell some that their facts are wrong, you shake the very pillars of their existence. That's the only thing I can think of occurring with my neighbor.

As for me, ever since I can remember I wanted to know how the world worked. I sort of have a thirst for knowledge, and just accept it. So while I cling to some core values, I consider the facts around me to be things to be discovered, things that are often in flux. If I find something factually different than I believed, I welcome gaining the knowledge and move on.

So to me facts are just bits of information that are often transient and developing, whereas my values are what I cling to as my core foundation. Consequently, I'm perplexed by those that cling to facts as core tenets; facts are only what we perceive, and perceptions sometimes change. They seem to be precarious things to hold on to.

I'm just noticing that a lot of the stuff they're accusing me of sounds like it comes from canned scripts that they've been getting drummed into their heads. It's like automatons, programmed to parrot whatever they hear.

So I know right off I am not talking to a real person. I mean, of course they are human beings but their humanity is on HOLD.
Argue with Felis Leo, or Perotista, or cpwill, just to name a few connies who DON'T get programmed.
You know what I'm talking about.

G'nite, to be continued tomorrow ;)

I would guess because it is easier and he is a cognitive miser.
I'm really beginning to think the delusional factoids are done to permit unacceptable behaviour. They gave bad behaviour a "permission slip". How else do you accept Trump inviting a foreign power into our electoral process? That takes some pretty good sleight of hand!

I'm just noticing that a lot of the stuff they're accusing me of sounds like it comes from canned scripts that they've been getting drummed into their heads. It's like automatons, programmed to parrot whatever they hear.

So I know right off I am not talking to a real person. I mean, of course they are human beings but their humanity is on HOLD.
Argue with Felis Leo, or Perotista, or cpwill, just to name a few connies who DON'T get programmed.
You know what I'm talking about.

G'nite, to be continued tomorrow ;)
Agreed.

And you named so great posters there, I will admit. Well done!

Anyway, have a good one!

Ain't never seen a Maga hat south of the lake. Maybe rural Tampa has them.
I've seen them up north, but I must admit I don't see many at all lately.

I'm really beginning to think the delusional factoids are done to permit unacceptable behaviour. They gave bad behaviour a "permission slip". How else do you accept Trump inviting a foreign power into our electoral process? That takes some pretty good sleight of hand!

I convinced myself you have done me wrong so now I feel justified to do so in kind.

Yup, that seems credible to be the logic at play.

Before the chorus of "too early to tell" or "anything could happen between now and then" starts, let me say you are wrong. Whether the election were today or in November of next year, the outcome is already decided because this is not like any other election in US history.

Even if he does win in 2020, don't be surprised to see Democratic Party majorities in both chambers of Congress.

Yeah, but trust me - MAGA's not playing well with much of the country either. Think of it - 50% of the country wants Trump impeached & removed. Those are remarkable numbers.

50% POLLED.

No one asked me. No one asked mycroft. Etc.

Don't trust polls, brah.

How sad it must be to be a hardcore Trump supporter!
Believing that all scientists, scholars, teachers, economists and journalists have devoted their entire lives to deceiving you...
While a reality TV star with decades of fraud and documented lying is your only "beacon of truth and honesty."

Back
Top Bottom