• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

‘That hurts.’ Black students fail state tests in English, math, amid high graduation rates

Are you suggesting all students don't?

Where I live schools were desegregated decades ago. All students sit in the same classrooms with the same teachers, getting the same lessons and the same homework. So it must be something else.
I'm not suggesting, I'm telling you. Go to your local school district, look at the communities the schools serve, and then look at what they get.
"At Ronald D. O’Neal Elementary School, in Elgin, Illinois, none of the third graders could read and write at grade level according to state tests in 2019. Nearly 90 percent of the school population is considered low-income and nearly three-quarters are labeled English learners, meaning that the state language arts test assesses their reading and writing ability in a language they’re still trying to learn. Just nine miles away sits Centennial Elementary School, where 73 percent of third graders met grade-level standards on that same test. A fifth of Centennial’s student body is considered low-income, and 17 percent get extra supports as they learn English.

W

Wouldn't you just know it was going to happen.? Won't admit the truth of why blacks are failing, instead blame so-called white privilege.

Are blacks failing for any reason other than why others are failing?

Are you suggesting all students don't?

Where I live schools were desegregated decades ago. All students sit in the same classrooms with the same teachers, getting the same lessons and the same homework. So it must be something else.
Walnut Hills was once rated the 3rd best public HS in the USA. My late uncle graduated from that school in 1950. In the late forties and early fifties, Walnut Hills was the school of choice of the children of Jews who fled Nazi Germany and came to the USA. Cincinnati has always been a City with strong Jewish culture: Rabbi Isaac Wise started the Reformed Jewish Movement in Cincinnati and Hebrew Union College was the center of Reformed Judaism in the USA. Poor Jews, who arrived with nothing, pushed their children to excel at Walnut Hills-a school that had acceptance rates from the big name Universities, on par with the top private schools in the area-Hillsdale (now Seven Hills) and the Cincinnati Country Day School and the top three Catholic Schools, Saint Xavier (Jesuit), St Ursuala (girls only) and Ursuline Academy (girls only). For years, the top graduating students at Walnut hills had a high percentage of Jewish students. And many of them went on to Harvard, Yale, Case Western, Cornell, Columbia and the U of Chicago.

Recently, Walnut Hills has exceeded its capacity. Would be students take a test to get in. There has been talk of decreasing the acceptance rate and what is most interesting, the group that would be most impacted by a limiting of numbers is WHITE females. Walnut Hills gets the very best black male students (who aren't looking for athletic rides from the big Catholic sports powerhouses such as 4 time national HS champion in football, Moeller). However, the fact remains, the top performing students at WH tend to be Jewish kids and now, Asian kids. I know the top two graduating seniors-both had 36 ACT scores. One is a white girl whose parents have MDs from Yale and MPHs from Harvard, the other is a boy of Indian heritage-his father was born in India, as was his mother's parents. He is going to Cornell (where his older brother is a star on the squash team) and based on his national ranking in squash and his scores, he was recruited by all the ivies that have a team

Walnut Hills was once rated the 3rd best public HS in the USA. My late uncle graduated from that school in 1950. In the late forties and early fifties, Walnut Hills was the school of choice of the children of Jews who fled Nazi Germany and came to the USA. Cincinnati has always been a City with strong Jewish culture: Rabbi Isaac Wise started the Reformed Jewish Movement in Cincinnati and Hebrew Union College was the center of Reformed Judaism in the USA. Poor Jews, who arrived with nothing, pushed their children to excel at Walnut Hills-a school that had acceptance rates from the big name Universities, on par with the top private schools in the area-Hillsdale (now Seven Hills) and the Cincinnati Country Day School and the top three Catholic Schools, Saint Xavier (Jesuit), St Ursuala (girls only) and Ursuline Academy (girls only). For years, the top graduating students at Walnut hills had a high percentage of Jewish students. And many of them went on to Harvard, Yale, Case Western, Cornell, Columbia and the U of Chicago.

Recently, Walnut Hills has exceeded its capacity. Would be students take a test to get in. There has been talk of decreasing the acceptance rate and what is most interesting, the group that would be most impacted by a limiting of numbers is WHITE females. Walnut Hills gets the very best black male students (who aren't looking for athletic rides from the big Catholic sports powerhouses such as 4 time national HS champion in football, Moeller). However, the fact remains, the top performing students at WH tend to be Jewish kids and now, Asian kids. I know the top two graduating seniors-both had 36 ACT scores. One is a white girl whose parents have MDs from Yale and MPHs from Harvard, the other is a boy of Indian heritage-his father was born in India, as was his mother's parents. He is going to Cornell (where his older brother is a star on the squash team) and based on his national ranking in squash and his scores, he was recruited by all the ivies that have a team

We have state sponsored atheism now. Since you’re apparently fine with that, you must hate The United States.

Nope, the US has always been that way. You are the one who hates it and wants to change it.

"The experience of the United States is a happy disproof of the error so long rooted in the unenlightened minds of well-meaning Christians, as well as in the corrupt hearts of persecuting usurpers, that without a legal incorporation of religious and civil polity, neither could be supported. A mutual independence is found most friendly to practical Religion, to social harmony, and to political prosperity."
-James Madison

what were those scores? was 100 average then and now?

No, both groups have increased over time, with 100 being the average at any one given time. Why do you ask?

Where do we have state sponsored atheism?
In taxpayer dollars used for abortions and birth control both here and abroad, with rulings that won’t allow the Ten Commandments to be displayed in schools, yet gives condoms to students, thus encouraging immoral sex. In laws that force Christian businesses to facilitate gay weddings, in forcing Christian businesses to pay for birth control, in teaching students Marxist principles. The list goes on.

Last edited:
Hot potato. Nobody wants to touch the issue of black underachievement and be called a racist for telling the truth.

Theres a vacuum of strong male role models in the black community.A large majority of offspring have no father in the home.

I was disappointed in President Obama a couple days ago when he made a statement about Duante being "another young black life taken too soon by Law Enforcement blah blah BLAH BLAH..." which while essentially true, he said NOTHING about obeying the law, respecting the law, cooperating with Police, not resisting arrest, etc et al. He put the onus 100% on the Police, and said nothing at all about criminal behavior.

President Obama is a male role model, he dropped the ball on that one. Instead of spreading more derision he could have imparted a very valuable message to people that really really need tohear it.

If people from certain backgrounds--whether they be racial, ethnic, religious, cultural, single-family, drug abuse, etc.--are showing statistically worse educational outcomes, I think society has a responsibility to step in and provide resources and guidance to children from those backgrounds. Doesn't matter if they are inner-city black kids or rural poor white kids. The parents of these children often don't know any better, are poor role models, and/or lack the resources to help the kids themselves, and the children themselves obviously are not to blame.

The fact that in most states schools are funded from local property taxes is one of the biggest contributors to social immobility. How is a kid who grows up in a poor neighborhood ever supposed to compete with a kid who grows up in a gated McMansion suburb?
now this I can agree with. well stated.

Theres a vacuum of strong male role models in the black community.A large majority of offspring have no father in the home.

I was disappointed in President Obama a couple days ago when he made a statement about Duante being "another young black life taken too soon by Law Enforcement blah blah BLAH BLAH..." which while essentially true, he said NOTHING about obeying the law, respecting the law, cooperating with Police, not resisting arrest, etc et al. He put the onus 100% on the Police, and said nothing at all about criminal behavior.

President Obama is a male role model, he dropped the ball on that one. Instead of spreading more derision he could have imparted a very valuable message to people that really really need tohear it.
You would expect more from 0bama. He’s a Marxist first

In taxpayer dollars used gor abortions and birth control both here and abroad, with rulings that won’t allow the Ten Commandments to be displayed in schools, yet gives condoms to students, thus encouraging immoral sex. In laws that force Christian businesses to facilitate gay weddings, in forcing Christian businesses to pay for birth control, in teaching students Marxist principles. The list goes on.
None of that is state sponsored atheism. Abortion, for instance is nothing to do with any religion. The ten commandments are a religious construct.

Your points are totally without merit. You may not like those issues, but they have nothing to do with atheism.

None of that is state sponsored atheism. Abortion, for instance is nothing to do with any religion. The ten commandments are a religious construct.

Your points are totally without merit. You may not like those issues, but they have nothing to do with atheism.
Anything that violates God's law, as does abortion, is absent of God, and therefore atheist.

I wonder why there is such a disparity in the percentages of students that are able to pass the standardized tests?
When 40% of graduating students can pass a HS level English test...its going to put a damper on your prospects in life.

I am not sure what can be done specifically to improve those numbers. At least some of the disparity has got to be from influence inside the "home".
You can blame the schools and teachers, but in the same school other demographics of students are doing just fine.

How does society fix this? Or can it be fixed by society?

Culture is a big factor. Why do east Asians beat the pants off of everyone? Do they have a genetic advantage? No...culturally they push education very hard. You see this in basically every single demographic. White people are not at the top. You can even find pockets within demographic groups and see disparities.

Then another big factor is economics. If you're poorer then you're also more likely to underperform.

I suppose he recognizes that most blacks don't trust the police, and sadly, for good reason. Were talking about a criminal justice system that created, or at the very least, exacerbated the problem you mention at the beginning of your post.

W

Wouldn't you just know it was going to happen.? Won't admit the truth of why blacks are failing

DaMole thinks he knows anything about education or race. :LOL:

And your credentials are what, that makes you the expert?

Keep yapping. I always appreciate free entertainment, and it looks like you're here to deliver. (y)

Your posts are racist garbage.
There is no race problem to speak of in America today. The division is caused (intentionally) by the leftist race-mongers who hype and exaggerate every act as racism. THEY are the real scourge to this country.

This relates to the defund the police movement. Too many resources are invested in policing and not enough are invested in more social things.
Really?

k_12_bars.png

Source: Urban Institute

Where they summarized:
Elementary and secondary education was the second largest source of direct spending at the state and local level in 2017, only slightly trailing spending on public welfare (which includes Medicaid). K-12 education spending was the largest source from 1977 to 2015. If federal transfers are excluded, elementary and secondary education is still the largest state and local spending item.

When was the last time you checked your local budget? It's budget season here in Virginia and one locality just passed one where over 55% of the entire $1B+ budget headed over to Schools, another allocating 44% of their budget, both well over the 21% of that graphic. The City of Richmond, however, (with an enrollment ~half of those two surrounding counties) is right at that mark ~24% and on a per-pupil basis spends about 25% more per student (~$12400, $9400, and $9400 for FY2018 for Richmond, Henrico & Chesterfield, respectively).

And those figures are the average for the district. In Henrico, for example, every single Title 1 school spends more than the average, sometimes thousands of dollars more per student. In Chesterfield, there were only two of 21 Title 1 schools that didn't hit the FY2018 amounts in FY2020. [Disclaimer: the average figures are from FY2018 and reported on the Virginia DOE website while the Per School/Per Student figures are from the US DOE and reflect FY2020].

It's not about the money, or even about the allocation although both deserve discussion*. It's about how it's spent and the expectations that go along with it....from the students, parents, school administration and the community at large. In my opinion, we have all lowered the bar.

*(For those interested, here's an in-depth discussion of Virginia's funding mechanisms, allocations, and suggestions for same)

And your credentials are what, that makes you the expert?
White leftwingers always appoint themselves experts on race. But these are the very people who wouldn't dare rub shoulders with black people.

I saw that with Katrina. Hollywood types were giving plenty of lip service about racial outrage, but they never lifted a finger to help. The ones down in NOLA shoveling out homes and getting dirty were conservative church people.

It's always that way.

And last year he rightfully objected to the perils of Cancel Culture. But lately it seems he’s antsy about getting pushed out of the spotlight by rabid young Marxists, and is seeking to look relevant.

And last year he rightfully objected to the perils of Cancel Culture. But lately it seems he’s antsy about getting pushed out of the spotlight by rabid young Marxists, and is seeking to look relevant.

Whats he doing to seek relevancy?

White leftwingers always appoint themselves experts on race. But these are the very people who wouldn't dare rub shoulders with black people.

I saw that with Katrina. Hollywood types were giving plenty of lip service about racial outrage, but they never lifted a finger to help. The ones down in NOLA shoveling out homes and getting dirty were conservative church people.

It's always that way.

You're right. I was a Republican when I helped black families move after Katrina.

And the government's response to Katrina is one of the many reasons why I am no longer a Republican.

Back
Top Bottom