• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

‘That hurts.’ Black students fail state tests in English, math, amid high graduation rates

Culture is a big factor. Why do east Asians beat the pants off of everyone? Do they have a genetic advantage? No...culturally they push education very hard. You see this in basically every single demographic. White people are not at the top. You can even find pockets within demographic groups and see disparities.

Then another big factor is economics. If you're poorer then you're also more likely to underperform.

From Education Week:

The explanation of student performance, those teachers said, rests primarily with the students and their parents. Three-quarters or more of respondents said that motivation, parenting, income, home environments, and neighborhood environments explained student academic gaps “somewhat,” “quite a lot,” or “extremely.”

...Poor students of all races perform worse on tests than more-affluent students. It’s true of the SATs and every other standardized test. And black students (along with Hispanic and American Indian and Alaska Native students) are more likely than their white and Asian counterparts to be poor.

And there are specific policy decisions that amplify the corrosive effects of poverty. Right now, majority-minority school districts get $23 billion less in funding nationally than majority-white school districts, according to EdBuild, a nonprofit organization working to overhaul school finance systems. Who's to Blame for the Black-White Achievement Gap? (edweek.org)

Really?

k_12_bars.png

Source: Urban Institute

Where they summarized:

When was the last time you checked your local budget? It's budget season here in Virginia and one locality just passed one where over 55% of the entire $1B+ budget headed over to Schools, another allocating 44% of their budget, both well over the 21% of that graphic. The City of Richmond, however, (with an enrollment ~half of those two surrounding counties) is right at that mark ~24% and on a per-pupil basis spends about 25% more per student (~$12400, $9400, and $9400 for FY2018 for Richmond, Henrico & Chesterfield, respectively).

And those figures are the average for the district. In Henrico, for example, every single Title 1 school spends more than the average, sometimes thousands of dollars more per student. In Chesterfield, there were only two of 21 Title 1 schools that didn't hit the FY2018 amounts in FY2020. [Disclaimer: the average figures are from FY2018 and reported on the Virginia DOE website while the Per School/Per Student figures are from the US DOE and reflect FY2020].

It's not about the money, or even about the allocation although both deserve discussion*. It's about how it's spent and the expectations that go along with it....from the students, parents, school administration and the community at large. In my opinion, we have all lowered the bar.

*(For those interested, here's an in-depth discussion of Virginia's funding mechanisms, allocations, and suggestions for same)
Yes, really. No, I haven't checked my city's nor county's budget. Nor do I know if people are advocating to defund the police here.

You're right. I was a Republican when I helped black families move after Katrina.

And the government's response to Katrina is one of the many reasons why I am no longer a Republican.
You mean the NOLA mayor's pathetic response as he allowed people to die? He was a Democrat.

OK, but I am not sure what that means.

It’s a highly complex matter. For example, students in low-income families have fewer books, in general, than those in more affluent families. That translates into reduced reading relative to their more affluent peers. Reduced reading means less exposure to texts that are useful in preparing one for such exams. The Internet hasn’t overcome this issue, because broadband access is also more prevalent among wealthier families. In addition, children in low-income families are more likely to work part time—at home and also in the workplace when eligible. That reduces time that can be devoted to academic development.

Obviously the system is racist

Keep yapping. I always appreciate free entertainment, and it looks like you're here to deliver. (y)

I must have missed your list of credentials which make you the expert on anything. Take advantage of a second chance.

I guess the thread is winding down, but I’ll reword an earlier post that got no answer. If every state started putting huge money into schools in poor neighborhoods, shouldn’t such a move entail a total moratorium on students being passed with HS degrees if they don’t do the work?

You mean the NOLA mayor's pathetic response as he allowed people to die? He was a Democrat.

I agree the NOLA mayor made a few key missteps that worsened the situation for NOLA residents, and I also recognize the problems were exacerbated by a totally pathetic and incompetent response by the Republican-controlled federal government.

It's also clear based on the comments in this thread by "conservatives", Trump supporters, and Republicans, that the Republican response to the plight of black families in New Orleans at the time would have been to blame them for the hurricane.

But the root cause of the problems blacks faced in NOLA with respect to Katrina is that white people didn't really care about the black neighborhoods that were most at risk of flooding because it was not "their problem." The solution is very simple. Just with the problem of education, white people have to choose to share their wealth with black people.

I'm sorry, but if you are a voter who is interested in racial equality then the Republican Party is the last place you'd look. And you don't have to look further than this thread for proof of that. The Republican Party is a shadow of its former self and has become a party of mostly short-sighted, stubborn, obstinate, belligerent assholes.

And don't talk to me about small government or taxes or any of that other bullshit.

White Republcians, white "conservatives", white "libertarians", and white Trump supporters LOVE the government, and LOVE taxes...when they are the ones receiving the benefit. If black people are receiving the benefit then they hate taxes.

Your posts tend to find "racism" where none is intended, or even contemplated.
To me, that's the worst kind of racism, when people invent it out of thin air. Those are the ones who seek to divide, and that's vile.

To me, that's the worst kind of racism, when people invent it out of thin air. Those are the ones who seek to divide, and that's vile.

If racism isn't the right word to describe white people who do not want to pay higher taxes to ensure black children are adequately educated we need to develop a new word to use as a tool of shame to make sure they know that they are failing in their duties as a fellow citizen.

It's perfectly legitimate to criticize white people who don't want to make sure black children are adequately educated, and we all know the source of this reluctance, a sort of ethnic and racial bias.

It's not necessarily the kind of evil that resulted in lynching or slavery, but it's still wrong. And it is correct to point it out. And we should make every effort to make things better for people, even if their skin is black.

And, yes, white people have to give something up for this. That's why so many white people are resentful. But it's the right thing to do. And if you don't want to help black people from the goodness of your heart, do it for selfish reasons, we'll all be better off, in a practical sense, if everyone is able to reach their full potential.

The numbers are from demographics of kids that are in the exact same schools though. Its the Miami Dade public school district.
How can there be such a disparity in different groups of kids in the same schools?

And what you said is very vague. "Provide equal public education system where all students have the same tools". These students are all from the same district.
You are truly reaching to push your racist propaganda if you think every school in a public school system has equal resources and settings.

If racism isn't the right word to describe white people who do not want to pay higher taxes to ensure black children are adequately educated we need to develop a new word to use as a tool of shame to make sure they know that they are failing in their duties as a fellow citizen.

It's perfectly legitimate to criticize white people who don't want to make sure black children are adequately educated, and we all know the source of this reluctance, a sort of ethnic and racial bias.

It's not necessarily the kind of evil that resulted in lynching or slavery, but it's still wrong. And it is correct to point it out. And we should make every effort to make things better for people, even if their skin is black.

And, yes, white people have to give something up for this. That's why so many white people are resentful. But it's the right thing to do. And if you don't want to help black people from the goodness of your heart, do it for selfish reasons, we'll all be better off, in a practical sense, if everyone is able to reach their full potential.

The subject of how to reach that full potential remains an open question. As I said a couple times now, will black students improve only if the alleged spending gap is closed? Or does society have to close down all avenues of illegitimate passing as well?

https://www.yahoo.com/news/hurts-black-students-fail-state-100000844.html

""A majority of Black students in Miami-Dade County Public Schools are failing state tests in English Language Arts, math and science, despite graduation rates topping 85 percent.

In 2019, just 40 percent of Black students in grades 3 through 10 passed the FSA English language arts exams compared to 61% of Hispanic students and 77 percent of white students.

For the FSA math exam that same year, just 44 percent of Black students in grades 3 through 8 passed compared to 63% of Hispanic students and 78% of white students.
Gallon juxtaposed those dismal scores with soaring graduation rates. The graduation rate for Black students in Miami-Dade Schools was 85.6% in the 2019-2020 school year. That rate was 90.3% for Hispanic students and 92.5% for white students. The district’s average was 89.6%.""

I wonder why there is such a disparity in the percentages of students that are able to pass the standardized tests?
When 40% of graduating students can pass a HS level English test...its going to put a damper on your prospects in life.

I am not sure what can be done specifically to improve those numbers. At least some of the disparity has got to be from influence inside the "home".
You can blame the schools and teachers, but in the same school other demographics of students are doing just fine.

How does society fix this? Or can it be fixed by society?

You live in Dade County. What are you doing to help address the test performance disparity?

Yes, really. No, I haven't checked my city's nor county's budget. Nor do I know if people are advocating to defund the police here.
What a shame. Why do you post/here then? Is it only about National (or MSM) elements? If so, I believe you are really missing out on how best to effect your own personal life and the ones most directly around you.

Sorry for the very delayed reply. I don’t often have the chance to be online and/or respond.

Back
Top Bottom