• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

‘That hurts.’ Black students fail state tests in English, math, amid high graduation rates

PeacefulWarrior

I am not a robot.
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
https://www.yahoo.com/news/hurts-black-students-fail-state-100000844.html

""A majority of Black students in Miami-Dade County Public Schools are failing state tests in English Language Arts, math and science, despite graduation rates topping 85 percent.

In 2019, just 40 percent of Black students in grades 3 through 10 passed the FSA English language arts exams compared to 61% of Hispanic students and 77 percent of white students.

For the FSA math exam that same year, just 44 percent of Black students in grades 3 through 8 passed compared to 63% of Hispanic students and 78% of white students.
Gallon juxtaposed those dismal scores with soaring graduation rates. The graduation rate for Black students in Miami-Dade Schools was 85.6% in the 2019-2020 school year. That rate was 90.3% for Hispanic students and 92.5% for white students. The district’s average was 89.6%.""

I wonder why there is such a disparity in the percentages of students that are able to pass the standardized tests?
When 40% of graduating students can pass a HS level English test...its going to put a damper on your prospects in life.

I am not sure what can be done specifically to improve those numbers. At least some of the disparity has got to be from influence inside the "home".
You can blame the schools and teachers, but in the same school other demographics of students are doing just fine.

How does society fix this? Or can it be fixed by society?

""A majority of Black students in Miami-Dade County Public Schools are failing state tests in English Language Arts, math and science, despite graduation rates topping 85 percent.

In 2019, just 40 percent of Black students in grades 3 through 10 passed the FSA English language arts exams compared to 61% of Hispanic students and 77 percent of white students.

For the FSA math exam that same year, just 44 percent of Black students in grades 3 through 8 passed compared to 63% of Hispanic students and 78% of white students.
Gallon juxtaposed those dismal scores with soaring graduation rates. The graduation rate for Black students in Miami-Dade Schools was 85.6% in the 2019-2020 school year. That rate was 90.3% for Hispanic students and 92.5% for white students. The district’s average was 89.6%.""

I wonder why there is such a disparity in the percentages of students that are able to pass the standardized tests?
When 40% of graduating students can pass a HS level English test...its going to put a damper on your prospects in life.

I am not sure what can be done specifically to improve those numbers. At least some of the disparity has got to be from influence inside the "home".
You can blame the schools and teachers, but in the same school other demographics of students are doing just fine.

Do you think it is a matter of blacks being inferior?

Society could start listening to the teachers, parents, and students for a change.

I think society is the cause.

>>Do you think it is a matter of blacks being inferior?<<

You shouldn't answer a question with another question. This is a HUGE disparity. You don't want understanding or solutions, you want to imply that there is something wrong with *me* for mentioning this disparity.

Well, when I am the person being blamed for some underachievers lack of ambition, it starts to get personal and I have to look for the *real* answers on my own.

Personally, my own belief as to why this demographic is flailing and failing so much and having so much difficulty is simply they dont have nearly enough strong male role models.
They are bringing3/4 of their offspring into the world with no fathers for starters, I feel that is an insurmountable obstacle right off the get-go. And I dont know what society can do about that either. How does society bring down the unwed birth rates?

What are your suggestion as to helping to improve these numbers?

Society could start listening to the teachers, parents, and students for a change.

OK, but I dont see how what you just said addresses the disparity in the numbers.Seems like a pretty vague answer. We'll have to get more specific than that.

OK, but I dont see how what you just said addresses the disparity in the numbers.Seems like a pretty vague answer. We'll have to get more specific than that.

That's what someone who doesn't want to listen would say. Try harder.

That's what someone who doesn't want to listen would say. Try harder.

That was an extremely pitiful rebuttal, not sure if you care you must not.
How do you explain the huge disparities?

Do you *really* want to improve the situation? (I think I already know the answer to that)

That was an extremely pitiful rebuttal

So sorry that you're letting your entitlement get in the way. Let us know when you're ready to finally listen for a change. 👋

So sorry that you're letting your entitlement get in the way. Let us know when you're ready to finally listen for a change. 👋

Well I keep asking you for your suggestions and you tell me to listen, but you aren't saying anything. LOL.
If you cant explain why the blacks in Miami are doing so poorly in school and you have no idea what can be done to improve it, then why dont you just say that?
Why so silly?
Its *almost* like making actual improvements isnt really what you are interested in.
No idea why there is such a huge disparity in achievement in school? No suggestions for improvement?

Well I keep asking you for your suggestions and you tell me to listen, but you aren't saying anything. LOL.
If you cant explain why the blacks in Miami are doing so poorly in school and you have no idea what can be done to improve it, then why dont you just say that?
Why so silly?
Its *almost* like making actual improvements isnt really what you are interested in.
No idea why there is such a huge disparity in achievement in school? No suggestions for improvement?

More racist trolling, huh?

How boring.

No suggestions?
Do you know of why such a disparity would exist and what if anything could possibly be done to remedy it?

Are you looking for solutions? Or childish sniping with me which really isnt something that interests me.
Thoughts on the story?

Of course he does, He repeatedly professed to be a "Proud white European male"

Well Hello, I didn't know you wanted to get involved in the discussion Mr. Helper.
But since you want to help:
How do you see this issue? Do you have any ideas why the disparity could exist in the first place?
And what solutions, if any, could take place in order to improve the numbers?
Any thoughts on that? No? Yes?

We could start actually providing an equal public education system where all students have access to the same academic tools.

We could start actually providing an equal public education system where all students have access to the same academic tools.

The numbers are from demographics of kids that are in the exact same schools though. Its the Miami Dade public school district.
How can there be such a disparity in different groups of kids in the same schools?

And what you said is very vague. "Provide equal public education system where all students have the same tools". These students are all from the same district.

Your idiotic race baiting isn't working

Your idiotic race baiting isn't working

I'm just going to put your answer into the "I do not know why there is such a disparity, nor do I have any ideas on what should be done to improve these numbers" file.

Think of the children dude. They need real solutions, not weak deflections and obfuscations. C'mon, we can figure this out.

It's that iconic clip from the Blues Brothers that sums you up perfectly. It's a shame that you weren't in that crowd of Nazis jumping off the bridge.

Oh.
I had hoped for some more substantive response to my original post than that.
You want to free the"oppressed" and improve society so much...how do we get those scores up there with the other kids? I'm looking for solutions.

Investing more tax dollars into early childhood education programs would be a good way to start. In many cases, white families have access to superior resources for home education, and this leads to a situation where white students start off with a significant advantage, even within the same school system.

Obviously, supplemental education programs for families of color cannot fully alleviate this disparity, but it is a good place to start.

Back
Top Bottom