• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

‘Everywhere Babies,’ a picture book celebrating infants, just got banned

So you don’t want children — who were likely all breast fed — seeing a completely natural event that is in no way sexual or indoctrination?

I don't think they should be seeing exposed breasts in school.

I don’t know your religious ideology but many who seem to be against this are ok with children being taught the Bible which contains murder, treason, death, rape, incest and pedophilia… but exposed nipples! That’s a line too far

I don't think the Bible should be taught in school either.

Well, books checked out from the library are independent reading. You said those books shouldn't be allowed to be independently read.

You are.
I said those books should not be in the basket of books that the children pick from during their free reading time in the classroom. I do not know how your library handles books of a sensitive nature. Those are two different events. The fact that is avoided here is that the images in the books ARE racially insensitive and much more inappropriate that a picture of a baby being breastfed. Keep moving your goalposts.

And what is wrong with that, in the context of breast feeding? Do you think little 6 year old Johnny is gonna get a hard on and rape little Susie?

Sigh.

Why are you fine with it in the context of breast feeding?

I said those books should not be in the basket of books that the children pick from during their free reading time in the classroom. I do not know how your library handles books of a sensitive nature. Those are two different events. The fact that is avoided here is that the images in the books ARE racially insensitive and much more inappropriate that a picture of a baby being breastfed. Keep moving your goalposts.

How do you think a public library and public school library should handle those books? What other books should be in the "sensitive nature" section and why?

I'm moving no goalposts. You want those books under lock-and-key for kids. You are for some books being banned from classroom libraries.

Why shouldn't I be? It's how babies eat.

So it's fine because it's natural. So anything natural is fine to show to kids in school, right?

I can see many businesses rethinking their positions to move to Florida and/or staying in Florida...

The fascist governor taking revenge against Florida's largest employer... Them banning books... Them dumbing down their educational system to 3rd world levels...

None of that is good for business..

FYI, @JMR - one of my favorite books to read aloud has been called "insensitive to Hispanics". I love it and so do my Hispanic students. :)

So it's fine because it's natural. So anything natural is fine to show to kids in school, right?
Oh so ban children from ever seeing a woman? Only allow men to be in public, right, because female bodies are evil?

You wanna put more words in each others' mouths or discuss what was actually said?

Oh so ban children from ever seeing a woman? Only allow men to be in public, right, because female bodies are evil?

Haha. What a strange thing to say.

You wanna put more words in each others' mouths or discuss what was actually said?

I asked you a question. If you're fine with breastfeeding pictures because it's natural, then you must be fine with anything that's natural. Right? Or ..... do you, like myself, think that some natural things shouldn't be shown to kids at school?

How do you think a public library and public school library should handle those books? What other books should be in the "sensitive nature" section and why?

I'm moving no goalposts. You want those books under lock-and-key for kids. You are for some books being banned from classroom libraries.
I notice you would rather "win" than be rational.

You said you are "fine" with pictures of breastfeeding being banned from elementary schools. I question why your enthusiasm for judging the appropriateness of material does not extend to racially insensitive material. I said clearly that the Seuss books could be used in class, in a way that the images are not accepted as normal and fine ....and that the library should have guidelines for other books in the same category. That is not under lock and key.... It's difficult to converse with someone who continually changes the narrative.

Other books of a "sensitive nature" might include "And Tango Makes Three", which in my opinion is a charming story and has been banned in many a library.

FYI, @JMR - one of my favorite books to read aloud has been called "insensitive to Hispanics". I love it and so do my Hispanic students. :)
You choose to read it aloud, right? You continually miss the point.

Haha. What a strange thing to say.

I asked you a question. If you're fine with breastfeeding pictures because it's natural, then you must be fine with anything that's natural. Right? Or ..... do you, like myself, think that some natural things shouldn't be shown to kids at school?
What I said was "it's how babies eat."

The strange thing I was attacking was something you never said. It's called a straw man argument. Do you understand now?

Reactions: JMR
I notice you would rather "win" than be rational.

Well, in terms of debate, I "won" when you said you're also for book censorship. :)

You said you are "fine" with pictures of breastfeeding being banned from elementary schools.
I question why your enthusiasm for judging the appropriateness of material does not extend to racially insensitive material.

Because "racially insensitive material" is subjective. Just as a school district could be perfectly fine having a picture book showing an exposed breast with a child sucking on a nipple. It's a subjective opinion.

I said clearly that the Seuss books could be used in class, in a way that the images are not accepted as normal and fine ....and that the library should have guidelines for other books in the same category. That is not under lock and key.... It's difficult to converse with someone who continually changes the narrative.

I'm not changing any narrative. I'm responding to your words.
Other books of a "sensitive nature" might include "And Tango Makes Three", which in my opinion is a charming story and has been banned in many a library.

How exactly does the "sensitive nature" section work in a public school or public library in the town? What if an 8 year old wants to check out one of those Seuss books? What's the process?

You choose to read it aloud, right? You continually miss the point.

Yes, I choose to read it aloud. I don't choose to discuss why some people see it as racially insensitive. What point am I missing?

Anyone that replies to you better have waders! ;)
It can get pretty deep at times...
Like you’re an expert……….
At fake digitalized women on the Internet? No, you are correct. I am not an expert.
Setting them up and knocking them down….must be late down under.
Woke up early. About 3am.

5:30 now. Was going to do a power walk but it started raining pretty heavy. That and pitch black outside makes it not so fun to walk in.

What I said was "it's how babies eat."

And what I said was "their feeding isn't the problem".
The strange thing I was attacking was something you never said. It's called a straw man argument. Do you understand now?

Do you think breastfeeding pics are fine in public schools because it's natural?

And what I said was "their feeding isn't the problem".

Do you think breastfeeding pics are fine in public schools because it's natural?
I'm not going to play along with your straw man/false dichotomy combo.

"It's fine because it's natural, therefore everything natural is fine for all children" was never anybody's argument, and I have no idea why you're fixated on it.

Breastfeeding isn't sexual, it's how babies eat. Not everyone shares your puritanism over the existence of breasts.

Well, in terms of debate, I "won" when you said you're also for book censorship. :)

Because "racially insensitive material" is subjective. Just as a school district could be perfectly fine having a picture book showing an exposed breast with a child sucking on a nipple. It's a subjective opinion.

I'm not changing any narrative. I'm responding to your words.

How exactly does the "sensitive nature" section work in a public school or public library in the town? What if an 8 year old wants to check out one of those Seuss books? What's the process?
Keep thinking you won.... I have never advocated book censorship. I HAVE advocated a level of competence and thoughtfulness on the part of teachers when deciding which books to make available for free time reading.

The Dr. Seuss Foundation has stated that the illustrations in THEIR books are racially insensitive, and have ceased publication. A look at the illustrations will at the VERY least lead one to think about the appropriateness and save such books for class discussion.

I'm not going to play along with your straw man/false dichotomy combo.

"It's fine because it's natural, therefore everything natural is fine for all children" was never anybody's argument, and I have no idea why you're fixated on it.

Breastfeeding isn't sexual, it's how babies eat. Not everyone shares your puritanism over the existence of breasts.

I'm simply using your logic. You think breastfeeding pics are fine for kids in school for the sole reason that breastfeeding is natural. Right? So following that logic, you must then think that anything that is natural is fine for kids to see pictures of in school. Not sure why you're uninterested in your own logic.

Keep thinking you won.... I have never advocated book censorship. I HAVE advocated a level of competence and thoughtfulness on the part of teachers when deciding which books to make available for free time reading.

....which is censorship.
The Dr. Seuss Foundation has stated that the illustrations in THEIR books are racially insensitive, and have ceased publication. A look at the illustrations will at the VERY least lead one to think about the appropriateness and save such books for class discussion.

Okay.

You didn't answer my question. If a public school library or public library has these Seuss books in the "sensitive" section and an 8 year old wants to check one out, what's the process?

Since breast feeding has nothing to do with why the book was banned from the school, I'll comment on why the book was banned.

Young kids looking at that picture of a crowd of people might notice a guy with his arm around the shoulder of his friend and think nothing of it. Or they might not notice it at all. The pic is about all the babies around, not two guys in the crowd. It's pretty nuts, imo, to call it LGBTQ friendly over that.

It seems like a great book for kids who have a new baby brother or sister. It's a big deal. They can relate to that.

I think people are being too sensitive.

Since breast feeding has nothing to do with why the book was banned from the school, I'll comment on why the book was banned.

Young kids looking at that picture of a crowd of people might notice a guy with his arm around the shoulder of his friend and think nothing of it. Or they might not notice it at all. The pic is about all the babies around, not two guys in the crowd. It's pretty nuts, imo, to call it LGBTQ friendly over that.

It seems like a great book for kids who have a new baby brother or sister. It's a big deal. They can relate to that.

I think people are being too sensitive.

Agreed. I see nothing wrong with the book.

Back
Top Bottom