• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

‘Everywhere Babies,’ a picture book celebrating infants, just got banned

But I recall you are fine with racially insensitive images, such as the Dr. Seuss books that are criticized by his own foundation.

I guess there are all levels of censorship.

Are you fine with the books being in public schools?

Are you fine with the books being in public schools?

I think they have a place in public schools, where their context can be explained, and the illustrations not just accepted as fine.
They don't belong in the book basket in a classroom, where they could easily be replaced with more appropriate material.

I think they have a place in public schools, where their context can be explained, and the illustrations not just accepted as fine.
They don't belong in the book basket in a classroom, where they could easily be replaced with more appropriate material.

So you're for banning those books as independent reading?

Why not; kids are only seeing what they were confronted by and physically attached to several times day when babies. We're all animals, so explain why this doesn't offend you...
View attachment 67387055
Clearly that cat's owners should have bought those kittens little bottles and fed them that way because....bare nipples!
;)

So you're for banning those books as independent reading?
Aren't you clever!!! HaHa. I was quite clear that I wouldn't ban the books....and that they don't belong in the independent reading basket. I think the racial insensitivity is quite obvious, Dr. Seuss's Foundation agrees, and it is appropriate to monitor what is available for independent reading. That is not equal to banning books...as much as it might suit your replies.

Aren't you clever!!! HaHa. I was quite clear that I wouldn't ban the books....and that they don't belong in the independent reading basket.

Yes, I read that. You want those books to be banned from independent reading sections. They can't be in book boxes in the classroom library and they can't be checked out from the library by students. Right?

I think the racial insensitivity is quite obvious, Dr. Seuss's Foundation agrees, and it is appropriate to monitor what is available for independent reading. That is not equal to banning books...as much as it might suit your replies.

You can spin it all you want, but that's exactly what your stance is.

What other kinds of books should be under lock-and-key for kids?

A woman breast feeding hurts no one, not even a tiny child.

What the hell are you thinking?

I never said it would hurt anyone nor did I say the feeding of the child was the problem.

I swear, these prigs must shower with their clothes on...

That's not a parallel analogy. Would you shower in front of children?

False comparison.

It's not at all. If you think people like me who don't want exposed breasts shown to children in school are prudes, then you must think the opposite of that is good.

If it's natural, should it be shown to kids at school? Explain.

It's not at all. If you think people like me who don't want exposed breasts shown to children in school are prudes, then you must think the opposite of that is good.

If it's natural, should it be shown to kids at school? Explain.
Again, you don't get it.

How is a picture of a woman breast feeding inappropriate to have in a school?

Focus....

Yes, I read that. You want those books to be banned from independent reading sections. They can't be in book boxes in the classroom library and they can't be checked out from the library by students. Right?

You can spin it all you want, but that's exactly what your stance is.

What other kinds of books should be under lock-and-key for kids?
Please indicate where I said they can't be checked out from the library? That should fall under whatever guidelines the school has for all materials of sensitive subject.

I think reasonable teachers periodically monitor their book baskets. That is being reasonable of course, and not deliberately putting provocative materials there. Reasonable teachers might also choose a provocative book for a lesson, and that might be very appropriate.

I'm not the one spinning here. I also note you skipped remarking on the obvious racial insensitivity in the Seuss book

Again, you don't get it.

How is a picture of a woman breast feeding inappropriate to have in a school?

Focus....

I've said it repeatedly. It's not the feeding of the child -- it's the exposed breast.

Please indicate where I said they can't be checked out from the library? That should fall under whatever guidelines the school has for all materials of sensitive subject.

Well, books checked out from the library are independent reading. You said those books shouldn't be allowed to be independently read.
I think reasonable teachers periodically monitor their book baskets. That is being reasonable of course, and not deliberately putting provocative materials there. Reasonable teachers might also choose a provocative book for a lesson, and that might be very appropriate.

I'm not the one spinning here.

You are.

That makes sense. I'm fine with not having pictures of babies breastfeeding in elementary school libraries.
So you don’t want children — who were likely all breast fed — seeing a completely natural event that is in no way sexual or indoctrination?

I don’t know your religious ideology but many who seem to be against this are ok with children being taught the Bible which contains murder, treason, death, rape, incest and pedophilia… but exposed nipples! That’s a line too far

I've said it repeatedly. It's not the feeding of the child -- it's the exposed breast.
And what is wrong with that, in the context of breast feeding? Do you think little 6 year old Johnny is gonna get a hard on and rape little Susie?

Back
Top Bottom